2019 Drivers - Best Ball Speed for Most Golfers

Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,183 ✭✭
Righto

I'm sure someone will point to a thread that was made in November 2018 that has since been superseded by 300 other ones but apologies if this has been asked before. I genuinely searched to no avail (except for a thread in the kids section - didn't even know we had a kids section....).

Of all the new drivers for 2019 which one do you think will give the best ball speed for all players and if so why?

In last years **** Most Wanted, Cobra got the chocolates by the barest of margins over Ping G400 LST.

Who will do it this year?

I am talking average across the board for all swing speeds.

Love

Gary

Comments

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,126 ✭✭
    Mizuno ST190G
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    2016 TM M1 T3 12.5°
    TEE CBX 119 16° hybrid
    Cobra F9 4 Iron Ricke Special
    Miura CB57 5-PW
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    Odyssey Armlock
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,183 ✭✭
    I’m thinking Epic Flash and Ping G 410.

I also love the CG story on both PXG drivers. If they have competitive ball speeds they could be very tasty.
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 6:24am #4
    Heart says ST190, head says PXG Gen 2
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X (swap with 2 iron)
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    The one with the lowest loft, a maxed out CT and struck dead nuts center.
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Apex Pro Dot's | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 388 ✭✭
    I’ll go ahead and bet on Cobra. That milled face combined with the weight in the front will have some magic in it. As we’ve all seen, they owned the ball speed category in last years **** Most Wanted test.

With that being said I wouldn’t sleep on Titleist either, my TS2 has given me the highest ball speeds I’ve ever seen on any driver ever, but that’s just my personal experience with it.

My top 5:

Cobra F9 Speedback

Titleist TS2

Callaway Flash SZ

Mizuno ST-190

Taylormade M5 435cc Tour
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    On which day of the week?
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 571 ✭✭
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,207 ✭✭
    Joker91 wrote:

All of them

This is the correct answer and has already been tested by several YouTubers

The correct question is "Drivers with the best ball speed with non sweet spot strikes"
    edited Jan 10, 2019 3:22pm #10
    JStang wrote:

The one with the lowest loft, a maxed out CT and struck dead nuts center.

On which day of the week?

Was waiting for these types of responses.

To help you - imagine a **** Most Wanted type scenario with multiple testers of multiple abilities all hitting a metric shyteload of shots across all parts of the face.

Average performance for all players will not be the same for every club. Also, if you did that type of test 10 times, I can guarantee you that the same drivers will rise to the top after each test.

Which ones do you think would come out on top?
  • ForTourUseOnlyForTourUseOnly 009M SSS WeldNeck Members Posts: 1,067 ✭✭
    Titleist TS3 and Mizuno ST190
    Titleist TS3 8.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15, 18 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 90 TX
    Titleist CNCPT CP-02 3i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Vokey BV HandGround SM7 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M
    Scotty Cameron Masterful 009M or Newport Fastback 1.5 Tour
    WITB LINK New Photos June 9th
    wfrogge1 wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

All of them

The correct question is "Drivers with the best ball speed with non sweet spot strikes"

That's not the question I want to ask. People hit it from everywhere on the face.

Also, I was picturing something a little more sophisticated than the rubbish tests that most YouTubers do. Imagine what I have posted above. A very detailed and methodical testing regime where the majority of variables have been eliminated.

Under those scenarios not all drivers will perform as well as each other. The differences might be small, but some trends will emerge.

With that in mind, who would you expect to have some of the better ball speeds and performance?
    Gary's Crappy Question - Results so far...

Mizuno ST190/ST190G – 2

Callaway Epic Flash/Sub zero) – 1

Ping G410 – 1

PXG Gen 2 – 1

Cobra F9 - 1

Titleist TS2/TS3 - 1

It's very exciting...
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 7:39pm #14
    Epic Flash, F9, G410 then M5/M6.
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,714 ✭✭
    My vote is the Epic Flash SZ. Simply for the fact that I already pre-ordered it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,059 ClubWRX
    Would love to see what the Mizuno does, but also would like to see more people give the TEE EXS a try.... so far, it has given me my fastest ball speeds. I just don't think enough people will give it chance but I will throw it out there anyway.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei orange CK 60
    Taylormade M2 2016 16.5* Matrix Tour Proto v-1
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM5 50/56/60
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone BXS
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 668 ✭✭

Of all the new drivers for 2019 which one do you think will give the best ball speed for all players and if so why?

I love the enthusiasm for new products but ... can we please stop this? Nothing is going to have the "best ball speed" outright. Year after year it's the same crap that people buy into the marketing. This year it's ball speed. Previous years might have been a more forgiving face, moving the center of gravity, composite crowns, "we moved the weight from the hosel to the ...", smaller footprints, interchangeable weighting systems, etc. ... the golf industry is #fakenews image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />

To answer your question, my guess is it would be a fitted M5/M6 with the speed injected face limiter thingy removed if what they say is actually true as it would be illegal.
  • Titleist_hoTitleist_ho Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    My vote is Titleist TS2

Gained around 15 yds vs. 917
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 571 ✭✭

wfrogge1 wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

All of them

That's not the question I want to ask. People hit it from everywhere on the face.

Also, I was picturing something a little more sophisticated than the rubbish tests that most YouTubers do. Imagine what I have posted above. A very detailed and methodical testing regime where the majority of variables have been eliminated.

Under those scenarios not all drivers will perform as well as each other. The differences might be small, but some trends will emerge.

With that in mind, who would you expect to have some of the better ball speeds and performance?

All of them
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,847 ✭✭
    Them Hi-COR japanese heads
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • WoodersonWooderson Members Posts: 2,010 ✭✭
    SLDR-C
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G400 Max 9° Tour 65 Stiff
    Callaway Epic Flash 15°/18°
    Ping G410 22°
    Titleist 818 H1 25°
    G410 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW
    Ping Eye2 LW
    Piretti Potenza
    edited Jan 11, 2019 6:21am #23
    Joker91 wrote:

wfrogge1 wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

All of them

All of them

Haha Joker91 you crazy joker...
    edited Jan 11, 2019 6:27am #24

I love the enthusiasm for new products but ... can we please stop this? Nothing is going to have the "best ball speed" outright. Year after year it's the same crap that people buy into the marketing. This year it's ball speed. Previous years might have been a more forgiving face, moving the center of gravity, composite crowns, "we moved the weight from the hosel to the ...", smaller footprints, interchangeable weighting systems, etc. ... the golf industry is #fakenews image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />

To answer your question, my guess is it would be a fitted M5/M6 with the speed injected face limiter thingy removed if what they say is actually true as it would be illegal.

Individual performance will vary but there will be some drivers that collectively perform better than others.

If you have 1000 monkeys hit 1000 drives with each driver then there will be some clubs that perform better (albeit marginally).

Perform the same **** test another 1000 times and there will be some obvious patterns that start to emerge.

To suggest that every club performs exactly the same and that you can’t differentiate between performance is unmitigated plop.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 8:14am #25
    They're all good since all mainstream heads from major OEMs have to be at or under the legal COR limit. Because of that ball speed isn't a good indicator but smash factor is. If one hits a driver with max COR face, one should strive to get a smash factor as close to 1.50 as possible. Clubhead speed is irrelevant. To get that smash factor as high as possible, one has to hit it on the button. Lessons and practice will help, not a $500+ club.

Strike is king guys...strike is king.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    TS, ST-190, Epic Flash, G410 are on my list for this yr. Which ever is longest, yet straightest. Accuracy over distance for me on all clubs in the bag. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Rick Shiels just put out a new video about the Cobra F9. He compared his numbers on the F9 to last year's F8, and I believe the Epic Flash from this year and the Cobra driver was giving him the best numbers. He was getting 2 mph more in ball speed and club head speed. I'm still playing the Cobra F6 and have no complaints with it, I'm very interested in trying out the F9 this year.

Another added bonus, the F9 is selling retail at $449.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • HedgehogHedgehog Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    I think it's funny that TaylorMade build it's campaign around maxing speed off the face this year and it's not even in the discussion here?

I think there is so small differences these days that just go with what feels (sounds) the best, looks good on the eye and gives confidence off the tee. Of course also fitted to perform at optimal numbers..

I think M6 or the F9 will be giving the best ball speeds for all players by just looking at the designs, they seem to be designed well in mass properties that should be pretty fast and forgiving. Ping G410 might also get into the mix..
    Ping G410+ 8° Evenflow Black HC 75 6.0
    TM M6 15° AD DI 6x
    TM Rescue AD DI H 85x
    Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S
    RTX2.0 50°/54° RTX4 60°
    TM Spider X
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,466 ✭✭
    cgasucks wrote:

They're all good since all mainstream heads from major OEMs have to be at or under the legal COR limit. Because of that ball speed isn't a good indicator but smash factor is. If one hits a driver with max COR face, one should strive to get a smash factor as close to 1.50 as possible. Clubhead speed is irrelevant. To get that smash factor as high as possible, one has to hit it on the button. Lessons and practice will help, not a $500+ club.

Strike is king guys...strike is king.

Exactly right, which means that when YOU buy a driver, it is the combination of the shaft and head, and head weight and swing weight, which enables the best strike the most often.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Wooderson wrote:

SLDR-C

Oh Lord, you typed the magic word, the wack-job will be checking in soon.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • Terry GoldTerry Gold Members Posts: 494 ✭✭

Individual performance will vary but there will be some drivers that collectively perform better than others.

If you have 1000 monkeys hit 1000 drives with each driver then there will be some clubs that perform better (albeit marginally).

Perform the same **** test another 1000 times and there will be some obvious patterns that start to emerge.

To suggest that every club performs exactly the same and that you can't differentiate between performance is unmitigated plop.

How scientific.

As if all monkeys swing the same after a thousand swings!