Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The hunt for the perfect 5 wood

keithrichardskeithrichards Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)
-15* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 75s)
-17.5* TaylorMade R7 TP (Diamana Blue 83s)
-4-PW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)
-Ben Hogan TK15 49*(KBS Wedge)
-PING Anser 54* (DG Spinner)
-PING Gorge Tour 60* (Ping CFS)
-PING Pickemup B

Comments

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)

-19* Titleist 816 H1(Speeder 8.8s)

-4-GW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)

Nice set the answer of course is doing to depend on your gaps?

At 100 SS to me 1st thing that stands out is that 19º hybrid.

The vast majority of 100 swingers

do best with something like

in their woods

• uwhockey14uwhockey14 Madison WIUnregistered Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭
    Sonartec, 19* is an awesome club with the right shaft in it. excellent off the deck! Only 5-Wood I've been able to be somewhat consistent with as I played 2-Iron for years and years and struggle with hybrids!
  • keithrichardskeithrichards Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    JAMH03 wrote:

"-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)

-19* Titleist 816 H1(Speeder 8.8s)

-4-GW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)

Nice set the answer of course is doing to depend on your gaps?

At 100 SS to me 1st thing that stands out is that 19º hybrid.

The vast majority of 100 swingers

do best with something like

in their woods

Thank you for that. For what it’s worth the hybrid is cranked down a degree to 18*. It’s a terrific club that has grown on me but, off the deck, I probably can carry it around 200.
    -PING Pickemup B
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 3:12pm #5
    I still use an 815 alpha Cally 16 degree set to 17 degrees. One inch short of standard and hotmelted. Very Sweet.

Not the longest 4/5 ever made but very accurate and good from light rough. Nice off the tee on short par 4’s occasionally also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-Big-Bertha-Alpha-815-Fairway-16-4-Wood-w-Diamana-S-Plus-Limited-Stiff-/333054813437
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be too simple, but literally any ping starting at G 20, you can’t miss
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 3:23pm #7
    In a 5 wood, still very difficult to best a V steel with appropriate shaft for your stated needs in a non-adjustable.

In adjustable, the various Cobra clubs with baffler rail system would be great place to start, f6 baffler is phenomenal out of rough.
    Mizuno MP Craft 611 10* Fuji Motore Speeder 7.1
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 818h1 21* Atmos Blue TS HB 8s
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • Ripper859Ripper859 Northern Kentucky / CincinnatiMembers Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    OG Cally 5 Deep is a cheap option.
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Madison WIUnregistered Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitchell wrote:

In a 5 wood, still very difficult to best a V steel with appropriate shaft for your stated needs in a non-adjustable.

In adjustable, the various Cobra clubs with baffler rail system would be great place to start, f6 baffler is phenomenal out of rough.

I saw a V-Steel with a Fujikura Tour Platform (very underrated shaft) on ebay last month and I was slow to the draw and someone snagged it.... Still regret not just jumping on that one... I'll get one at some point, even if it doesn't end up in the bag, I feel like everyone owns one anyways. lol
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I USED to get 235+ out of my 4wood not so much any more.

I would strongly encourage you to find a range of 18-22º fairway woods and give those a try. I am personally of the belief that slightly shorter shafts .5"-1.5" are easier to hit but the main thing is just look at a 5-7 wood. If you hate 7 woods put some lead tape on the bottom and or change the head cover.

You're looking for a club to do a job. If it makes it easier for your ego many many tour pros opt to use a 5 wood at AN and I think TW is carrying a 2nd fairway wood now. Nobody who matters will care.

There are plenty that will fit the bill. I might add that people seem to like slightly heavier shafts in their fairway woods than their driver so again that would be a good place to start.

Since you like them already I'd look at Callaway Mizzy and Titleist. I'd vote for Tour edge

but thats just me.

I would very strongly encourage you to check the specs more so than the club names for example the tolerances and strong lofts could get you something that would be ill suited.

Budget wise you could do anything you want the world is your oyster, you can satisfy this gap perfectly from $40 and up. Depending on what you want.

I'd say this is a perfect place to go read one of those all time 3 wood or fairway wood threads and pick some that sound cool to you and hunt those.

Example Stensons's Diablo is available from Callaway pre owned . com for $70

Mind you all of the "work" comes in testing, tweaking shaft fit etc all. But it's not unmanageable you'll know when you like it. So you can figure it out, everything else in your bag is really nice. Just gotta fill this one gap.

Cheers!

JAMH03 wrote:

Yeah I USED to get 235+ out of my 4wood not so much any more.

I would strongly encourage you to find a range of 18-22º fairway woods and give those a try. I am personally of the belief that slightly shorter shafts .5"-1.5" are easier to hit but the main thing is just look at a 5-7 wood. If you hate 7 woods put some lead tape on the bottom and or change the head cover.

You're looking for a club to do a job. If it makes it easier for your ego many many tour pros opt to use a 5 wood at AN and I think TW is carrying a 2nd fairway wood now. Nobody who matters will care.

There are plenty that will fit the bill. I might add that people seem to like slightly heavier shafts in their fairway woods than their driver so again that would be a good place to start.

Since you like them already I'd look at Callaway Mizzy and Titleist. I'd vote for Tour edge

but thats just me.

I would very strongly encourage you to check the specs more so than the club names for example the tolerances and strong lofts could get you something that would be ill suited.

Budget wise you could do anything you want the world is your oyster, you can satisfy this gap perfectly from $40 and up. Depending on what you want.

I'd say this is a perfect place to go read one of those all time 3 wood or fairway wood threads and pick some that sound cool to you and hunt those.

Example Stensons's Diablo is available from Callaway pre owned . com for $70

Mind you all of the "work" comes in testing, tweaking shaft fit etc all. But it's not unmanageable you'll know when you like it. So you can figure it out, everything else in your bag is really nice. Just gotta fill this one gap.

Cheers!

Thoughtful response, much appreciated. I am in my 50’s now so my Ego is in check. Shoot, those “Regular” shafts in my irons was one of the best moves I ever made.
    -PING Pickemup B
  • clemsontiger1clemsontiger1 Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.
    Taylormade M3, 10.5
    Callaway Epic Flash 14
    Cobra Baffler set to 17.5 with the Red Tie shaft
    Titleist 818 H1 with the Tensei Pro White 90 shaft
    Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
    Vokey SM7 (50 & 54) in F and S grind
    Callaway PM grind 58
    Odyssey O-Works #7
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 4:37pm #13
    I'll throw out 2 random options:

If you want *stupid* easy to elevate, take a look at some of what was out there in the late 2000s. Clubs like the '07 Burner were popular and quite user-friendly. I have a 190 Nike SQ II that might literally be the easiest-to-hit golf club I've ever come across.

Clubs of that era spun a bit so they weren't as long but they were incredibly friendly. Don't underestimate what you can do with a club when you're confident you can launch it, either! I always loved my SQ II because it had a surprisingly deep face which meant you could trap it and hit it like an iron when you needed to.

Now, if you want compact, workable and still relatively easy to hit, don't overlook the old Nike VR Ltd Ed. models that hit the market a few years later. Those aren't out-dated at all, either. Patrick Reed won last year's Masters with the Ltd. Ed. 3w in the bag.

Those were modeled after what the tour guys had and they implemented one of the earlier channel designs, as well. The 5w heads were small-ish. They were sleek in setup and solid in feel.

I would absolutely still have my Ltd 5w in the bag if the freakin' Diamana BlueBoard wouldn't have mysteriously snapped at the hosel. Craziest thing. I was hitting shots on the range and as I went to position another ball into place in front of me the dang head fell off. I swear to god.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    3w: TaylorMade '07 Burner
    5w: Nike SQ II
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • dnalepocadnalepoca Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    As some others have said, Cobra F6 baffler and you’re done
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra King baffler F6 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 20.5*
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 23*
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T-11 52*
    Wilson Staff PMP Tour 56*
    PING Glide 2.0 TS 60*
    Taylormade TP Juno Copper
    Bridgestone Tour B XS, Srixon Z-Star XV
  • mwink822mwink822 Members Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Titleist 917 F2 from all areas (tee, fairway and rough). The Ping G400 was also a good performer, but I hated the way it looked behind the ball. The Callaway Steelhead XR is also a good option, but I elected not to go that avenue myself as the 5 wood has a slightly closed (to my eyes anyway) appearance at address.
    Titleist 917D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 80 TX
    Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
    4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
    4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
    White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 5:06pm #16
    PRGR Nabla/RS 5 Wood. And ive tried them all.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • mikeypearmikeypear mikeypear412 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    i use a 4 wood. but last year snagged a TEE e8 beta. it performed nicely from the deck and rough. face is super hot, but i have had no issues holding greens. everyone i know who has plays TEE fairways loves them. i paid like $60 for a used one in mint condition off the bay.
    weapons of choice:

callaway XR16 pro 9 deg aldila rogue silver 60 S
    tour edge exotics e8 4wd 16.5 deg aldila rogue black 60 S
    callaway apex 4h 23 deg accra fx200 M4
    driving iron TBD
    ping i200 5-U KBS Tour 120
    ping glide 2.0 stealth 54ss & 58es KBS 105
    ping sigma 2 tyne stealth
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Titleist 913 used for like 50 bucks. best club in my bag
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G40 Max 10.5 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s - setting C1 | Titleist 975f 20.5 w/ Grafalloy ProLite S Flex
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/Nippon Modus 120 Stiff 4-PW std lie
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Sm7 50 - 2 flt - 1 wk w/KBS 610 | Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610 | Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev | Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches - SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1
  • mowakebummowakebum Mowakebum Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    G400 5 wood, easy to hit, put it in the bag last year and it’s in no danger of being replaced. Point and shoot full send
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Cheap Callaway options; X Hot Pro or X2 Hot Pro in 19*. Both have the faces made with thinner / stronger steel. Heads are fairly compact but can't be adjusted.

I also think the higher lofted fairway will be much easier to hit. In general, I'd think 100 mph is fairly boarderline for 13* fairway or 18* hybrid off the deck.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
    agolf1 wrote:

Thanks.

Cheap Callaway options; X Hot Pro or X2 Hot Pro in 19*. Both have the faces made with thinner / stronger steel. Heads are fairly compact but can't be adjusted.

I also think the higher lofted fairway will be much easier to hit. In general, I'd think 100 mph is fairly boarderline for 13* fairway or 18* hybrid off the deck.

Appreciated. The 3 wood is actually 15 degrees and used primarily off the tee, where it’s terrific. The hybrid is great on long par 3’s and off tee on short par 4’s.
    -PING Pickemup B
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not aware of too many low launching five woods. They must exist.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    uwhockey14 wrote:

Mitchell wrote:

I saw a V-Steel with a Fujikura Tour Platform (very underrated shaft) on ebay last month and I was slow to the draw and someone snagged it.... Still regret not just jumping on that one... I'll get one at some point, even if it doesn't end up in the bag, I feel like everyone owns one anyways. lol

Grab one. I consider it the best looking and "profile" 5 wood in the "modern era".....and of course the performance is an all time great.

If you can't find one with the paint in good condition, then consider having one bead blasted down to the raw steel. I've done this with a few heads recently and it creates an awesome raw matte 'satin' light grey color. Industrial
  • jackbauerjackbauer Russian prisonMembers Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    My answer to 5-wood threads is always the same. The Adams Tight Lies 2 from 2014 checks all your boxes. I haven't demoed a 5-wood in five years and got multiple backups for $40 apiece (new in plastic).
    WITB
    TaylorMade M2 2016 (9.75) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 S
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 (14), Adams Tight Lies 2 (19) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 S
    Mizuno MP-53 (3-PW, 20-48) KBS Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM7 S Grind (53.09, 59.11) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125
    Edel McKenzie (34)
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion - the best 5 wood is a 4 wood. I just switched and I'm loving having only one fairway.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Project X HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X Evenflow 85g
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 52-F 56-F 60-D Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M 35"/Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"/Odyssey Double Wide Armlock 42"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 6.2

• Z4Z3RZ4Z3R Golfing Guy's Guy Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    Adjustability is nice but bonded fairways FTW!

Especially off the deck!
    Blade Day Options:
    • Taylormade P7TW
    • Callaway Apex MB RAW
    • Titleist 670
    • Titleist 690.mb 

• Coy MCoy M OG Baby Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    910 19* 5 wood works well for me.
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

the head onthis 5w is amazing. Perfect size, color and texture. and you can get it cheap these days. The search is over.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Well, I'm in similar Midwest winter doldrums myself, so I feel your pain. Regarding the Rogue SZ 5w, I used that all last year as my first fairway wood. Great club, great distance, easier to elevate for me than the 3w, obviously, which tends to be an issue for me as I hit a lower ball. In the end I moved it out as I felt less comfortable off the tee with it and the slightly lower profile face, I like a taller face for fairways if possible for the tee. I've looked at a bunch of other options this winter for that spot, a mix of 3, 4 and 5 woods, old and new. Thus far I like the Adams XTD TI 5w, Honma 737FWC 5w and the Tour Edge EX10 beta 4w. I like the look and feel of the Honma and Tour Edge best, but the adjustable factor of the Adams is nice. Tour Edge sole is great for getting through the rough btw.

Baffler is a cool club if it works for you. For me it's always been an odd fit that doesn't work. It plays to a shorter length than a normal wood, and when lofted up to 5w loft it went left a lot on me. If it suits you though it could be a great weapon as it does everything else very well.
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

the head onthis 5w is amazing. Perfect size, color and texture. and you can get it cheap these days. The search is over.

I just got one myself to use as a 4 wood off the tee and the deck. Turned down to 16.5*, it's still really easy to hit off the deck. I haven't taken it on the course yet, but I'll be giving it a go this weekend. One selling point is the fact that if I don't like it as a 4 wood, I can turn it up to 18.5*, and use it as a 5 wood. I have it paired with a Nunchuk at 42", and really like how the club feels. No issues feeling the head at all.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

Unpopular opinion - the best 5 wood is a 4 wood. I just switched and I'm loving having only one fairway.

For someone with a single FW, the 4W might do it for you. The pro I take lessons from uses a 5W with a 4W-length shaft.

As VNutz suggested, try the Tour Edge EX10 Beta 4W. (Really liked but couldn't afford it when new.) For 4Ws, an extra 1.5* loft really helps with launch off fairway.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file