Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Slow Swing speeds, what ball do you use?

124»

Comments

• rwbloom93rwbloom93 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Titleist DT TruSoft is a great ball for slow(er) swings.

• arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

@Gary8180 said:
    I'm an old guy with a bad back and neck. On a good day my driver SS is around 80 to 82 mph. On bad days when I'm stiff and tight it can be as low as 75, maybe lower. On those days I'm all arms with little to no body rotation. Soft balls tend to help me considerably. I've tried them all and currently use Duo softs. Supersofts are my second choice.

Other than feel, a softball doesn't gain you anything even at your swing speed. The only thing it will do is knock spin off irons, which can be a help if you want to hit your irons 4-5 yards further. The idea that a low compression ball goes further for a slow swing speed is a myth.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@arbeck said:

@Gary8180 said:
    I'm an old guy with a bad back and neck. On a good day my driver SS is around 80 to 82 mph. On bad days when I'm stiff and tight it can be as low as 75, maybe lower. On those days I'm all arms with little to no body rotation. Soft balls tend to help me considerably. I've tried them all and currently use Duo softs. Supersofts are my second choice.

Other than feel, a softball doesn't gain you anything even at your swing speed. The only thing it will do is knock spin off irons, which can be a help if you want to hit your irons 4-5 yards further. The idea that a low compression ball goes further for a slow swing speed is a myth.

But wouldn’t that include less side spin or less spin in the wind with the two piece softer ball?

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@arbeck said:

@Gary8180 said:

Disagree, I find the soft feel Srixon goes further for this low swing speed player. I guess you could say it is mid-compression at 60?

@arbeck said:

@Gary8180 said:

You must not be a slow swing speed player.....and yes I know about the robot results, the robot results!!!
    If I swung like a robot I would be interested in the robot results, but I don't, so I only care about my testing/results during practice or on the course. Lower compression balls provide better distance and results for the way I set up to and strike the ball....so maybe it's a myth for the robot, but it's not a myth for me.

• james119james119 Members Posts: 3

I am a 66 year old short hitter with a pretty good wedge game so I play Pro V1’s as I know what they are going to do when I hit a pitch to the green. Very predictable and consistent.

I run a Course with no driving range so when it is quiet I hit balls out on the course and shag them myself . Been doing this several times a week for four years. My shag bags have every brand and type of ball imaginable. What I have found whether I am hitting 8 irons, 5 woods or drivers is that there is no discernible difference in distance between any of them. So, pick the ball you like best for your shots inside 75 yards and don’t worry about distance.

@james119 said:
    I am a 66 year old short hitter with a pretty good wedge game so I play Pro V1’s as I know what they are going to do when I hit a pitch to the green. Very predictable and consistent.

I run a Course with no driving range so when it is quiet I hit balls out on the course and shag them myself . Been doing this several times a week for four years. My shag bags have every brand and type of ball imaginable. What I have found whether I am hitting 8 irons, 5 woods or drivers is that there is no discernible difference in distance between any of them. So, pick the ball you like best for your shots inside 75 yards and don’t worry about distance.

Thanks for your input!....I tested for almost a year but that's no comparison to 4 years, lol.

Problem is when I play longer courses I struggle to get inside 150 yds on most par 4's. Distance off the tee is critical to have a decent scoring chance. I don't find 75 yard shots to be problematic (with any ball) unless the pin is up front. For me, a well struck descending strike on a 75 yard shot will stop just fine regardless of ball cover, surlyn or urethane (...at least on the public courses I play most often). Nonetheless, I play urethane mid-compression balls most often.
    Thx

• BunkerSnotBunkerSnot Gonzo Golfer Eugene, ORMembers Posts: 23 ✭✭

Budget golfer - Callaway SuperSoft and SuperHot are great balls for everyday play

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file