GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Slow Swing speeds, what ball do you use?

124»

Comments

• rwbloom93rwbloom93 Members  27WRX Points: 18Posts: 27 Bunkers

Titleist DT TruSoft is a great ball for slow(er) swings.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  697WRX Points: 388Handicap: 14.5Posts: 697 Golden Tee

On -, @Gary8180 said:

I'm an old guy with a bad back and neck. On a good day my driver SS is around 80 to 82 mph. On bad days when I'm stiff and tight it can be as low as 75, maybe lower. On those days I'm all arms with little to no body rotation. Soft balls tend to help me considerably. I've tried them all and currently use Duo softs. Supersofts are my second choice.

Other than feel, a softball doesn't gain you anything even at your swing speed. The only thing it will do is knock spin off irons, which can be a help if you want to hit your irons 4-5 yards further. The idea that a low compression ball goes further for a slow swing speed is a myth.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3828WRX Points: 315Posts: 3,828 Titanium Tees

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Gary8180 said:

I'm an old guy with a bad back and neck. On a good day my driver SS is around 80 to 82 mph. On bad days when I'm stiff and tight it can be as low as 75, maybe lower. On those days I'm all arms with little to no body rotation. Soft balls tend to help me considerably. I've tried them all and currently use Duo softs. Supersofts are my second choice.

Other than feel, a softball doesn't gain you anything even at your swing speed. The only thing it will do is knock spin off irons, which can be a help if you want to hit your irons 4-5 yards further. The idea that a low compression ball goes further for a slow swing speed is a myth.

But wouldn’t that include less side spin or less spin in the wind with the two piece softer ball?

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash
    6 hybrid Big Bertha
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6706WRX Points: 321Posts: 6,706 Titanium Tees

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Gary8180 said:

Disagree, I find the soft feel Srixon goes further for this low swing speed player. I guess you could say it is mid-compression at 60?

Posted:

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Gary8180 said:

You must not be a slow swing speed player.....and yes I know about the robot results, the robot results!!!
    If I swung like a robot I would be interested in the robot results, but I don't, so I only care about my testing/results during practice or on the course. Lower compression balls provide better distance and results for the way I set up to and strike the ball....so maybe it's a myth for the robot, but it's not a myth for me.

Posted:
  • james119james119 Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

I am a 66 year old short hitter with a pretty good wedge game so I play Pro V1’s as I know what they are going to do when I hit a pitch to the green. Very predictable and consistent.

I run a Course with no driving range so when it is quiet I hit balls out on the course and shag them myself . Been doing this several times a week for four years. My shag bags have every brand and type of ball imaginable. What I have found whether I am hitting 8 irons, 5 woods or drivers is that there is no discernible difference in distance between any of them. So, pick the ball you like best for your shots inside 75 yards and don’t worry about distance.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

On -, @james119 said:

I am a 66 year old short hitter with a pretty good wedge game so I play Pro V1’s as I know what they are going to do when I hit a pitch to the green. Very predictable and consistent.

I run a Course with no driving range so when it is quiet I hit balls out on the course and shag them myself . Been doing this several times a week for four years. My shag bags have every brand and type of ball imaginable. What I have found whether I am hitting 8 irons, 5 woods or drivers is that there is no discernible difference in distance between any of them. So, pick the ball you like best for your shots inside 75 yards and don’t worry about distance.

Thanks for your input!....I tested for almost a year but that's no comparison to 4 years, lol.

Problem is when I play longer courses I struggle to get inside 150 yds on most par 4's. Distance off the tee is critical to have a decent scoring chance. I don't find 75 yard shots to be problematic (with any ball) unless the pin is up front. For me, a well struck descending strike on a 75 yard shot will stop just fine regardless of ball cover, surlyn or urethane (...at least on the public courses I play most often). Nonetheless, I play urethane mid-compression balls most often.
    Thx

Posted:
  • BunkerSnotBunkerSnot Gonzo Golfer Eugene, ORMembers  102WRX Points: 70Handicap: 20Posts: 102 Fairways

Budget golfer - Callaway SuperSoft and SuperHot are great balls for everyday play

Posted:
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members  1316WRX Points: 254Handicap: 15Posts: 1,316 Platinum Tees

I put some time in on the Precept Laddie Extreme. I don't think there is a published compression number, but they are middle of the road to soft.
    I think their history is that they started years ago as a ladies ball, then they adapted it for seniors, and now it's an acceptable budget ball by Bridgestone.
    Best part is price. Double down is under $20. So at $.80 per ball, there's no pressure.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Cobra F9 18.5* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R
    Titleist 915H 21* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW Recoil 660 F3, R
    Vokey SM7, 56*/8 M Grind, Recoil ZT9 460 F3, R
    Miura 1957, 59* C Grind, Nippon Modus 110, Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers  1596WRX Points: 183Handicap: 15.9Posts: 1,596 Platinum Tees

The most important measuremernt for me is not a robot or another golfer but what type of distance I get with a ball. I am a 67 year old golfer and have been playing a lower compression ball several years because I get more distance (carry & roll) than a mid or high compression ball. I am making no claim that a low compression ball is inheritently longer just that it is longer for a good driver swing given my ability and swing. I currently play the DT Trusoft because of its all around performance but if I were in a long drive contest for 85 mph swing speed older golfers I would use the Softfli. I know that bothers some of the engineers reading this but I play the ball(s) that work best for me.

Posted:
  • over_roastover_roast Tampa, FLMembers  46WRX Points: 16Posts: 46 Bunkers

I'm new to the game and therefore assume I have a pretty slow SS. I have been using the Callaway SuperSoft and really like them. Cheap enough that I can loose a couple with out feeling too bad.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.