Mizuno MP-4 vs MP-18MB feel?

CRB357

Anyone hit both extensively care to share an opinion? I have the MP-4 and I’ve only hit the MP-18MB in a simulator. They felt a little more clicky to me. It wasn’t a fair comparison with the random balls and indoor setting. I did like the look at address of the MP-18MB though, unlike the MP-5. Thought I would ask here.

Titletist TS3 9.5* Tensei Raw Blue 55 S

Titleist TS3 15* 3wd PX Evenflow T-1100 6.0 75

Titleist 818H 17*, 20*, 23* Hybrids w/ Fuji Atmos HB Tour Spec 8S Blue

Titleist 620MB 5-PW KBS Tour V 110S

Vokey SM8 52.08F & 58.08M KBS Tour V 110S

Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum is my gamer. Currently experimenting with an Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide.

2019 ProV1 

My MP-4’s are starting to wear a little and the soon to be released TN-87 updated model is probably going to push MP-18 price down to level that makes more sense in my frugal world. So I was checking them out the other day. They felt closer to Titleist MB’s than the normal MP feel.

Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum is my gamer. Currently experimenting with an Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide.

2019 ProV1 

> @CRB357 said:

> My MP-4’s are starting to wear a little and the soon to be released TN-87 updated model is probably going to push MP-18 price down to level that makes more sense in my frugal world. So I was checking them out the other day. They felt closer to Titleist MB’s than the normal MP feel.

There is a new TN-87 release? I know they were re-released in Japan back in 2015, but is this something different? Can you link any info?

2019 ProV1 

> @PushDrawFlush said:

> You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

Personally, I find the MP-4s easier to hit. They launch higher than the MP18s.

Also, the topline on the MP18s is a dealbreaker for me. Player’s CB aesthetics with blade-level forgiveness is the worst of both worlds.

MP18 has a thicker topline but also a wider and boxier sole. In theory that would make them a little more forgiving through the turf and I would agree with that to some extent. Feel wise I don't think you are going to beat the MP4, they also look a mile better in my opinion. I've got a set that I'm deciding whether to build or sell. Very happy with and committed to my current set but selling off almost mint MP4's seems like sacrilege.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @JJK947 said:

> MP18 has a thicker topline but also a wider and boxier sole. In theory that would make them a little more forgiving through the turf and I would agree with that to some extent. Feel wise I don't think you are going to beat the MP4, they also look a mile better in my opinion. I've got a set that I'm deciding whether to build or sell. Very happy with and committed to my current set but selling off almost mint MP4's seems like sacrilege.

Solution: wait a bit and sell off average condition, well-used MP-4s. ;)

> @CRB357 said:

> Anyone hit both extensively care to share an opinion? I have the MP-4 and I’ve only hit the MP-18MB in a simulator. They felt a little more clicky to me. It wasn’t a fair comparison with the random balls and indoor setting. I did like the look at address of the MP-18MB though, unlike the MP-5. Thought I would ask here.

Go hit them both off grass...... that's all I got!

I like my Mp-4’s. I like the way they feel, sound, and look at address. I would prefer a lower trajectory though. I hit them high.

I like the look of the MP18 and the soles. The fatter top line doesn’t bother me. I wasn’t crazy about the feel. Someone said they have a lower launch/trajectory. That would be something I would be interested in.

2019 ProV1 

> @PushDrawFlush said:

> You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

The new Instagram post they had today of the iron head with copper pretty much seals it for me. Going to have to buy them.

I had a set of MP4/54 combo yoro craft irons imported from Japan. Lovely feel and surprisingly easy to hit. Awesome irons, wonderful to look at. MP18, meh and chose TM P730 over them.......

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I played with a kid last week on a local federal course who carried a Titleist 915 driver that he hammered all day and MP4 irons that he crushed when needed and otherwise wielded like a surgeon. Those sticks look good and they sound even better.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> > @PushDrawFlush said:

> > You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

>

> The new Instagram post they had today of the iron head with copper pretty much seals it for me. Going to have to buy them.

Saw those too..

I owned TN87 (MP29 + copper underlay) back when I was gaming MP29s, I didn't feel any difference in softness....

That said, I'm going to buy them too!

> @dmeeksDC said:

> I played with a kid last week on a local federal course who carried a Titleist 915 driver that he hammered all day and MP4 irons that he crushed when needed and otherwise wielded like a surgeon. Those sticks look good and they sound even better.

And I bet the little show off had hair too.

• Like 1

> @shanx said:

> > @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> > > @PushDrawFlush said:

> > > You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

> >

> > The new Instagram post they had today of the iron head with copper pretty much seals it for me. Going to have to buy them.

>

> Saw those too..

>

> I owned TN87 (MP29 + copper underlay) back when I was gaming MP29s, I didn't feel any difference in softness....

>

> That said, I'm going to buy them too!

The whole "copper underlay" thing is a myth. Richard/Forged4ever exposed that in a post not too long ago; Mizuno engineers find the whole thing amusing.

If one applies logic, nickel is normally used between the steel and chrome. Nickel is softer than copper. Therefore... ;)

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I thought the MP 4 was the best feeling Mizuno since the MP33, which were awesome.. The 18 looks nice but i think the MP4 felt much better. I'm really anxious to see the MP line..hoping they feel better than the 18's.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

One thing I will say about the MP18 is get fit. I play MP4’s and am very happy with them. I was being fit for a driver and when done we ventured into the iron world. MP4 to MP18, almost no difference in ball speed. P730’s I picked up over a club and Miura MB001’s just under a club but dispersion was outstanding.

I could probably get used to the MP18 feel. As long as I don't hit anything else. It just wouldn't be as an enjoyable as flushing a MP4.

2019 ProV1 

MP4 all day. The 18s just never quite felt right when I hit them. I still have a set of MP4s and MP29s in my garage that I hit frequently on the simulator. It's shocking how loud they are when compared to my Epon or Miuras. Interestingly, Crossfield did the "forged vs cast" video recently, and combined with my own experience, I've reluctantly become more of a believer that feel = sound.

As a side note, I was dead set on buying the new Mizunos, but then saw the new Miuras. Add the re-release of the Scotty Terillium, and I see financial ruin in my future.

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

MP-4.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I loved the MP4, I wish I had bought a set back in the day, when I tested the MP18 I wasn't that impressed, a little chunky and the feeling was not what I was expecting

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I found the ball flight and forgiveness with the MP-18 to be better than the MP4. I'm a high ball hitter and thus the trajectory for me is more appropriate than the MP4. They don't have 33 feel but the results are better than expected.

PXG Gen5 7.5* Ventus Velocore TR Blue 6S

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3/5 Project X Blue RDX 6.0

Titleist U505 2 Iron GD Tour AD DI85 S

Srixon ZX 4 Iron Ventus Velocore blue 8S

PXG 0311T Gen5 S 4/5-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/54/58

PXG Battle Ready Black Jack  

Smh, this is a great thread, like really? I passed on the 4 and 5s for the 18s. Yes, the 4s felt soft but the 18s felt right yet very easy to hit and true on launch characteristics. Even now at times, the 18s borderlines a marshmallow feel which I passionately dislike.

The 5s, were just too fat and curvy that it was a turn off. I’ll even hit my buddies 5s at the range just to oblige because he wants to hit my 18s and hear how awesome they feell but are so hard to hit!

It comes down to the 4s and 18s, which one do you like at address and the shape?

Personally, I like the more boxy, sharp lines, latest high density forging process, major winning DNA influence whereas, the 4s were a knock off of the 64s (tour proven which is why I back up with the 900 Tours iron set).

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @shanx said:

> > > @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> > > > @PushDrawFlush said:

> > > > You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

> > >

> > > The new Instagram post they had today of the iron head with copper pretty much seals it for me. Going to have to buy them.

> >

> > Saw those too..

> >

> > I owned TN87 (MP29 + copper underlay) back when I was gaming MP29s, I didn't feel any difference in softness....

> >

> > That said, I'm going to buy them too!

>

> The whole "copper underlay" thing is a myth. Richard/Forged4ever exposed that in a post not too long ago; Mizuno engineers find the whole thing amusing.

>

> If one applies logic, nickel is normally used between the steel and chrome. Nickel is softer than copper. Therefore... ;)

Love Richard but he’s not a mizuno engineer. I have the tn87 and ms11s and they are different. Whenever I bust them out my playing partners comment on the sound and the feel when they hit them. I play the mp18 now and the shape of the scoring irons is pretty much perfect compared so hopefully they’ll blend the two

With all this said, I would have given up on Mizuno if it weren’t for the 18mb, 900T and 919T; they came within a dire time along with custom fit and shafts.

I would of had no problem moving on to with Taylormade, Titleist and Callaway.

The 4s are definitely are ahead of the 5s but who still plays with S300 shafts off the rock? Sure, good for youz

> @musclefront said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @shanx said:

> > > > @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> > > > > @PushDrawFlush said:

> > > > > You can find pictures on the mizuno Instagram or the tour equipment section. I agree that the mp4s are softer but they are slightly harder to hit. (Not by much, both are blades) the mp18s to me look like player cbs due to the top line thickness

> > > >

> > > > The new Instagram post they had today of the iron head with copper pretty much seals it for me. Going to have to buy them.

> > >

> > > Saw those too..

> > >

> > > I owned TN87 (MP29 + copper underlay) back when I was gaming MP29s, I didn't feel any difference in softness....

> > >

> > > That said, I'm going to buy them too!

> >

> > The whole "copper underlay" thing is a myth. Richard/Forged4ever exposed that in a post not too long ago; Mizuno engineers find the whole thing amusing.

> >

> > If one applies logic, nickel is normally used between the steel and chrome. Nickel is softer than copper. Therefore... ;)

>

> Love Richard but he’s not a mizuno engineer. I have the tn87 and ms11s and they are different. Whenever I bust them out my playing partners comment on the sound and the feel when they hit them. I play the mp18 now and the shape of the scoring irons is pretty much perfect compared so hopefully they’ll blend the two

No, Richard's not a Mizuno engineer, but when he personally speaks to Mizuno engineers and they tell him something, I think it's safe to say his info is good. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors