GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Public Short Loop Concept?

2»

Comments

• CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  214WRX Points: 113Handicap: 6.4Posts: 214 Fairways

There a couple of nice Par 32 nine hole tracks in SE Texas, and a few more courses with short loops either by design or because they lost holes in Hurricane Harvey.

I think the concept is based on the success of Top Golf. Come have a good time for an hour to 90 munutes or so. The courses are short enough that beginners can try golf without a big time commitment. 18 holes can be daunting for beginners.

Posted:

Vote for your favorite Houston public course!

Accessible SE Texas Courses I Would Play Again
    In order of distance from downtown
    Memorial Park (renovated)*
    Gus Wortham (renovated)*
    Cypresswood Tradition*
    Blackhorse South*
    Eagle Pointe*
    The Wilderness*
    Walden Lake Conroe
    Crown Colony

* - Regular Rotation

Still Need to Try
    In order of distance from downtown
    Golf Club of Houston
    Blackhorse North
    High Meadow Ranch
    Woodforest

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers  771WRX Points: 200Handicap: 11Posts: 771 Golden Tee

I (kinda) understand the course’s perspective here. But given an hour, I’d rather walk a 9-hole Par 3 course. Our local is par 29 and costs $11. Par 20 for $25 is a non-starter. Include the beer at 7 am, now we’re talking.

Posted:

Summer 2020 WITB

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5° 1W HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° 3W HZRDUS Smoke 70

Callaway Rogue 19° 5W EvenFlow Blue 75

Callaway Apex 23° 4Hy EvenFlow Black 85H

Callaway X-Forged 4i-7i / Apex MB 7i-AW Modus3 120

Mizuno S18 51.08° 56.10° 60.10°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS / Byron Morgan Channel Island Starshot CS

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SDMembers  934WRX Points: 189Handicap: 15.5Posts: 934 Golden Tee

I like the idea. The course I grew playing up actually built their par 3 course so that the 5th hole ended by the pro shop so that you could hammer out a quick lunch round. I don't know if I am as big of a fan of that setup on a regular course, but most of the ones I play are more of a loop layout, so it would be difficult. Other layouts it would probably work fine.

Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Callaway Apex 19 3-4 Hybrids (Project X Catalyst 5.5 Flex, -1/2" for both)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts (I keep the 4 iron in the trunk and alternate it with the 4 hybrid depending on which course we are playing or weather conditions)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 19 Grind 54/14 & 58/12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (35")
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members  536WRX Points: 110Handicap: 2Posts: 536 Golden Tee

I like the idea, not really the price point. Seems high when I have a number of courses in my area that I can play a full 9, even 18, for less than that. But I don't know the economics of the particular market. My club had a 4 or 5 hole loop that I can play. So if I have 2 hours, rather than just play 9, I can hit a few balls, practice some putting, and then play 4 or 5 holes. An old friend of mine in the golf business had an idea for a course where it had 6 loops of 3 holes going out from the clubhouse. Could pay for golf in any multiple of 3 holes.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.