Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Andrew Luck Offers A Lesson For Golf Fans, Too

puttfordouxputtfordoux Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.golftipsmag.com/andrew-luck-offers-a-lesson-for-golf-fans-too/
Good article...I agree with the author that Tiger won't retire...he means too much to the sport as an individual, much more than Luck. It's been said that Luck, by retiring, may possibly be giving up close to a half-a-billion dollars. Think maybe the door might be open for a comeback, just a little?

Comments

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Man it must have been a tough decision considering he is giving up his prime NFL money generating years. I don't know about 500 million, but he definitely gave up a huge amount. It's easy for me to say I'd take a lot more hits for that kind of money, but he already has enough to live comfortably for generations.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Props to Luck for calling it quits on his football playing career. He's not worried about his legacy or all that pro athlete branding cr*p...dude just wants to live free from the BS.
    The peeps who booed him were probably more upset about their fantasy football squad losing their #1 QB rather than the actual home team being down their #1

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:
    I like Andrew Luck, I respect his decision, and I actually love this issue for what it is.

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is.

So much more wonderful for guys to risk life-altering injury for free.

• 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cdnglf said:

@15th Club said:
    I like Andrew Luck, I respect his decision, and I actually love this issue for what it is.

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is.

Anybody who doesn't accept the risk of football shouldn't play it at all. Not for free; not for $50 million.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

@cdnglf said:

@15th Club said:

Anybody who doesn't accept the risk of football shouldn't play it at all. Not for free; not for $50 million.

But it is so much more wonderful when they do it for free.

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@puttfordoux said:
    https://www.golftipsmag.com/andrew-luck-offers-a-lesson-for-golf-fans-too/
    Good article...I agree with the author that Tiger won't retire...he means too much to the sport as an individual, much more than Luck. It's been said that Luck, by retiring, may possibly be giving up close to a half-a-billion dollars. Think maybe the door might be open for a comeback, just a little?

i think he takes a year off feels better and makes a comeback.Hes burned out on painkillers.A year off will do wonders. you put him in a shotgun formation 90% of the time and eliminate 70% of the hits he takes.

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Edward_Majorwin said:
    Props to Luck for calling it quits on his football playing career. He's not worried about his legacy or all that pro athlete branding cr*p...dude just wants to live free from the BS.
    The peeps who booed him were probably more upset about their fantasy football squad losing their #1 QB rather than the actual home team being down their #1

He ticked off one notable fantasy owner

https://theblast.com/c/oj-simpson-andrew-luck-retirement-fantasy-football

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • caligolfer2103caligolfer2103 Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

i don't think he ever comes back. doesn't seem like the type motivated by money, Stanford degree, clearly not your typical NFL thinker given some of his prior interviews. i'm confident it's not the last we've heard of him, but think it will be for something other than football. reading through the lines, the past few years were clearly very rough for him and sounds like the retirement thing has been on his mind for awhile so not one of those knee-jerk decisions to retire that happens once in awhile.

• BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 4:33am #11

The guy quit on his team 2 weeks before the beginning of the season and people praise him? If he wanted out he should have made that decision in February. It's not the decision that's the problem it's the timing.

• ALIFALIF ArizonaMembers Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lowheel said:

@Darth Putter said:

@Edward_Majorwin said:

He ticked off one notable fantasy owner

https://theblast.com/c/oj-simpson-andrew-luck-retirement-fantasy-football

yeah now he knows what it feels like to be stabbed in the back...

One of the all-time great posts on any forum, anywhere, ever!

OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 11:46am #16

The life of a professional golfer is infinitely easier than the life of a professional football player on so many levels.

Suggesting that golf fans should be worried about the top golfers “retiring” is not realistic IMHO. Consider a couple things.

First, the money involved with golf means that even a few top-10s can make your year if you’re a journeyman player. Considering the posh lifestyle these guys live, I find it incredibly hard to feel sorry for them or intimidated in the least by the notion of such a player walking away.

These guys who make a million bucks a year to play the nicest courses imaginable know how sweet they've got it. Those types are not going anywhere!

Second, the financial pay-offs (and relatively posh existence) of today’s golf professional have ensured that a slew of players are dying to get in. People realize what a sweet gig it is. You can make millions of dollars wearing business casual and playing golf. What's not to like!?

We could lose half of the top names and still have more than enough elite names to count. At one point we had 3-4 top players. I feel like we now have 20!

The LPGA goes through a new #1 every year and they’re currently flourishing amongst the diversity they have at the top. They’ve never been in a better place. Diversity is literally the concept you use to insure you’ll be okay should one of the top names walk away.

Most of the women on that tour leave to start a family by their late 20s or early 30s (Annika, Lorena Ochoa, Stacy Lewis, Brittany Lincicome, Gerina Pillar, etc.). Some return. Some don’t. Point being, there are plenty of capable players around to fill the void. Players hit that tour at 16 or 17 and play for 10 years before thinking about walking away.

If the men are starting in their early 20's and playing for a decade before thinking about hanging it up maybe that’s just evolution? I don't see the LPGA going back. Evolution has forced them to embrace the younger players like Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson and Lexi Thompson.

Both sides are still gaining more new faces each year than they’re losing at the top. To think we should be worried is (at least IMO) totally wrong.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    3w: TaylorMade '07 Burner
    5w: Nike SQ II
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm over Andrew.....it's all about Jacoby Brissett now.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good for him. NFL days are numbered anyway.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A lesson for golf fans? Dumb article.

My senior bag.......
    Cleveland SL290  9 * driver stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood  reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6,7 hybrids reg
    Ping G 7-pw(power lofts) CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 52, 58* reg
    Ping anser g5i putter
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

“That Andrew Luck pulled the plug in his true prime — a la golf’s own Bobby Jones, who retired from competitive golf as an amateur at age 28, in 1930“

Jones came out of retirement a few years later to host and compete in the Masters. While Luck may not start his own game to compete with the Super Bowl, I have a feeling we might see him come out of retirement at a later date as well.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,935 ClubWRX

@Im_A_Savage said:
    The guy quit on his team 2 weeks before the beginning of the season and people praise him? If he wanted out he should have made that decision in February. It's not the decision that's the problem it's the timing.

Let's not forget his lacerated kidney. Would want your son or daughter to take the same risk playing football after that kind of injury?

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bullie76 said:
    A lesson for golf fans? Dumb article.

Agreed. Terribly written.

Here is a lesson: the so-called journalists of today should focus more on the given event and less on the public's reaction to the event.

Space filler.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Im_A_Savage said:

Dude is rehabbing for the second time in 4 years and it’s not going the way he or the team expected. He was already going to miss the opening of the season. He didn’t quit on anyone he chose to call it a career rather than possibly hurt his team by taking longer to recover or coming back and having a setback.

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 2:14pm #24

@GoGoErky said:

@Im_A_Savage said:

Dude is rehabbing for the second time in 4 years and it’s not going the way he or the team expected. He was already going to miss the opening of the season. He didn’t quit on anyone he chose to call it a career rather than possibly hurt his team by taking longer to recover or coming back and having a setback.

Sounds more plausible than 'he quit on his team.' Sheesh, have some sympathy for the guy!

It's a safe bet that Luck retired because he had to, not because he wanted to.

The golfing parallel would be someone like Fred Couples who most certainly had his career impacted by a bad back.

If anything, the Colts will use the season to tank, get the #1 pick and draft Tua.

Honestly, if that comes to pass, I think the Colts might end up being as hated outside their hometown as the Pats. You don't get lucky enough to land 3 of the best QB prospects ever and not irk people.

I know I'll be mad!

That good fortune in tandem with having Irsay as their owner and no ability to assemble a good team makes them look really bad.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    3w: TaylorMade '07 Burner
    5w: Nike SQ II
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

@cdnglf said:

@15th Club said:

for once, we agree...

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Llortamaisey said:
    “That Andrew Luck pulled the plug in his true prime — a la golf’s own Bobby Jones, who retired from competitive golf as an amateur at age 28, in 1930“

Jones came out of retirement a few years later to host and compete in the Masters. While Luck may not start his own game to compete with the Super Bowl, I have a feeling we might see him come out of retirement at a later date as well.

as a broadcaster...

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,502 ClubWRX

Jim Irsay poked and prodded the fan base re Luck.

As far as I can tell, he ran off Peyton Manning and now a nice kid [ and potential hall of famer] by leaking and whining behind the shield of a hyperbolic local sports media...

Just my .02c

-Chris

Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL kicks the crap out of guys
    Only he knows how much he is hurting
    He could also be bored with football now, not everyone is a Brady or Montana

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

@Im_A_Savage said:

"His" team? The operation, owned by the Irsay family is valued at a couple billion, has a roster payroll of $200 million or so, all organized under a collective bargaining agreement.

It is the most mercenary thing in sports, right after Major League Baseball and the English Premier League.

How does anyone root for an NFL franchise like it was their undergraduate alma mater?

I have a lot more respect for my favorite professional team than the university from which I received my bachelors degree or my law degree. If you want to do a comparison, universities exploit athletes much more than professional teams.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is. Can anybody imagine a stadium of Stanford students and alumni at Stanford Stadium ever booing Andrew Luck for any reason? Yet that is what some of the boorish NFL fans in Indianapolis did. It's shameful. Hateful, really. They simply proved that Luck made the right decision. Big time. Luck loved college football and everything about it and played it for nothing more than a scholarship and the fun of playing.

I bring this up in the context of a golf discussion because so often I see comparisons of golf, and golf's ruling bodies, to other professional sports leagues. But the NFL is not "football," and the PGA Tour is not "golf."

those fans that booed him will regret that act, imo ... or at least they should ...

• 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 5:07pm #31

@Im_A_Savage said:

@15th Club said:

@Im_A_Savage said:

"His" team? The operation, owned by the Irsay family is valued at a couple billion, has a roster payroll of $200 million or so, all organized under a collective bargaining agreement.

It is the most mercenary thing in sports, right after Major League Baseball and the English Premier League.

How does anyone root for an NFL franchise like it was their undergraduate alma mater?

I have a lot more respect for my favorite professional team than the university from which I received my bachelors degree or my law degree. If you want to do a comparison, universities exploit athletes much more than professional teams.

I’m not talking about “exploitation” per se.

I just don’t have any interest in the NFL and I cannot understand why anybody would. But that’s just me. People are allowed to like the NFL if that is their thing. I suppose.

I hate the NFL because of what it is doing to football and most particularly college football, which I do love. I really wonder what sort of CTE problems there might be if everyone stopped playing football after college and no one had an 8-10 year career of 3 preseason games, 16 regular season games and some odd number of playoff games.

Not suggesting “exploitation” in that. Certainly not when the players elect to play, under elaborately negotiated professional contracts.

But for me there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the NFL. And the more that college football becomes “NFL Lite,” the more it is degraded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file