Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Andrew Luck Offers A Lesson For Golf Fans, Too

puttfordoux ·  
puttfordouxputtfordoux Members  559WRX Points: 219Posts: 559 Golden Tee

https://www.golftipsmag.com/andrew-luck-offers-a-lesson-for-golf-fans-too/
Good article...I agree with the author that Tiger won't retire...he means too much to the sport as an individual, much more than Luck. It's been said that Luck, by retiring, may possibly be giving up close to a half-a-billion dollars. Think maybe the door might be open for a comeback, just a little?

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members  1628WRX Points: 506Posts: 1,628 Platinum Tees

Man it must have been a tough decision considering he is giving up his prime NFL money generating years. I don't know about 500 million, but he definitely gave up a huge amount. It's easy for me to say I'd take a lot more hits for that kind of money, but he already has enough to live comfortably for generations.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
    TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
    3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Phantom X6 STR
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  349WRX Points: 325Handicap: 13Posts: 349 Greens

Props to Luck for calling it quits on his football playing career. He's not worried about his legacy or all that pro athlete branding cr*p...dude just wants to live free from the BS.
    The peeps who booed him were probably more upset about their fantasy football squad losing their #1 QB rather than the actual home team being down their #1

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left = bad idea!
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°
    Cobra Speedzone 3H 19°
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52° - SM7 56° - SM8 60°
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood from endangered rainforests

• cdnglfcdnglf Members  3753WRX Points: 1,173Posts: 3,753 Titanium Tees

On -, @15th Club said:

I like Andrew Luck, I respect his decision, and I actually love this issue for what it is.

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is.

So much more wonderful for guys to risk life-altering injury for free.

Posted:
  • 15th Club15th Club MichiganBanned  2336WRX Points: 642Posts: 2,336 Platinum Tees

On -, @cdnglf said:

On -, @15th Club said:

I like Andrew Luck, I respect his decision, and I actually love this issue for what it is.

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is.

Anybody who doesn't accept the risk of football shouldn't play it at all. Not for free; not for $50 million.

Posted:
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members  3753WRX Points: 1,173Posts: 3,753 Titanium Tees

On -, @15th Club said:

On -, @cdnglf said:

On -, @15th Club said:

Anybody who doesn't accept the risk of football shouldn't play it at all. Not for free; not for $50 million.

But it is so much more wonderful when they do it for free.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6789WRX Points: 1,897Posts: 6,789 Titanium Tees

On -, @puttfordoux said:

https://www.golftipsmag.com/andrew-luck-offers-a-lesson-for-golf-fans-too/
    Good article...I agree with the author that Tiger won't retire...he means too much to the sport as an individual, much more than Luck. It's been said that Luck, by retiring, may possibly be giving up close to a half-a-billion dollars. Think maybe the door might be open for a comeback, just a little?

i think he takes a year off feels better and makes a comeback.Hes burned out on painkillers.A year off will do wonders. you put him in a shotgun formation 90% of the time and eliminate 70% of the hits he takes.

Posted:
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members  6356WRX Points: 3,271Handicap: 10.8Posts: 6,356 Titanium Tees

On -, @Edward_Majorwin said:

Props to Luck for calling it quits on his football playing career. He's not worried about his legacy or all that pro athlete branding cr*p...dude just wants to live free from the BS.
    The peeps who booed him were probably more upset about their fantasy football squad losing their #1 QB rather than the actual home team being down their #1

He ticked off one notable fantasy owner

https://theblast.com/c/oj-simpson-andrew-luck-retirement-fantasy-football

Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • caligolfer2103caligolfer2103 Members  22WRX Points: 50Posts: 22 Bunkers

i don't think he ever comes back. doesn't seem like the type motivated by money, Stanford degree, clearly not your typical NFL thinker given some of his prior interviews. i'm confident it's not the last we've heard of him, but think it will be for something other than football. reading through the lines, the past few years were clearly very rough for him and sounds like the retirement thing has been on his mind for awhile so not one of those knee-jerk decisions to retire that happens once in awhile.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ALIFALIF ArizonaMembers  2810WRX Points: 370Posts: 2,810 Titanium Tees

On -, @lowheel said:

On -, @Darth Putter said:

On -, @Edward_Majorwin said:

He ticked off one notable fantasy owner

https://theblast.com/c/oj-simpson-andrew-luck-retirement-fantasy-football

yeah now he knows what it feels like to be stabbed in the back...

One of the all-time great posts on any forum, anywhere, ever!

Posted:
    $$$$
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3934WRX Points: 1,093Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,934 Titanium Tees

The life of a professional golfer is infinitely easier than the life of a professional football player on so many levels.

Suggesting that golf fans should be worried about the top golfers “retiring” is not realistic IMHO. Consider a couple things.

First, the money involved with golf means that even a few top-10s can make your year if you’re a journeyman player. Considering the posh lifestyle these guys live, I find it incredibly hard to feel sorry for them or intimidated in the least by the notion of such a player walking away.

These guys who make a million bucks a year to play the nicest courses imaginable know how sweet they've got it. Those types are not going anywhere!

Second, the financial pay-offs (and relatively posh existence) of today’s golf professional have ensured that a slew of players are dying to get in. People realize what a sweet gig it is. You can make millions of dollars wearing business casual and playing golf. What's not to like!?

We could lose half of the top names and still have more than enough elite names to count. At one point we had 3-4 top players. I feel like we now have 20!

The LPGA goes through a new #1 every year and they’re currently flourishing amongst the diversity they have at the top. They’ve never been in a better place. Diversity is literally the concept you use to insure you’ll be okay should one of the top names walk away.

Most of the women on that tour leave to start a family by their late 20s or early 30s (Annika, Lorena Ochoa, Stacy Lewis, Brittany Lincicome, Gerina Pillar, etc.). Some return. Some don’t. Point being, there are plenty of capable players around to fill the void. Players hit that tour at 16 or 17 and play for 10 years before thinking about walking away.

If the men are starting in their early 20's and playing for a decade before thinking about hanging it up maybe that’s just evolution? I don't see the LPGA going back. Evolution has forced them to embrace the younger players like Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson and Lexi Thompson.

Both sides are still gaining more new faces each year than they’re losing at the top. To think we should be worried is (at least IMO) totally wrong.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: AeroBurner (3-HL)
    Hybrid: T.E.E. E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members  1455WRX Points: 230Posts: 1,455 Platinum Tees

I'm over Andrew.....it's all about Jacoby Brissett now.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  31008WRX Points: 7,293Handicap: NONEPosts: 31,008 Titanium Tees

Good for him. NFL days are numbered anyway.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Advertisement
  • bullie76bullie76 Members  2306WRX Points: 241Handicap: 9Posts: 2,306 Platinum Tees

A lesson for golf fans? Dumb article.

Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver & 3,5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4-6 hybrids reg
    Cobra SL f9 7-gap
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52*
    Cobra King Black  56*
    Seemore rst2 si4 putter
    Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members  6087WRX Points: 450Posts: 6,087 Titanium Tees

“That Andrew Luck pulled the plug in his true prime — a la golf’s own Bobby Jones, who retired from competitive golf as an amateur at age 28, in 1930“

Jones came out of retirement a few years later to host and compete in the Masters. While Luck may not start his own game to compete with the Super Bowl, I have a feeling we might see him come out of retirement at a later date as well.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25613WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,613 ClubWRX

On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

The guy quit on his team 2 weeks before the beginning of the season and people praise him? If he wanted out he should have made that decision in February. It's not the decision that's the problem it's the timing.

Let's not forget his lacerated kidney. Would want your son or daughter to take the same risk playing football after that kind of injury?

Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson Members  6026WRX Points: 3,523Handicap: 6.7Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

On -, @bullie76 said:

A lesson for golf fans? Dumb article.

Agreed. Terribly written.

Here is a lesson: the so-called journalists of today should focus more on the given event and less on the public's reaction to the event.

Space filler.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

The guy quit on his team 2 weeks before the beginning of the season and people praise him? If he wanted out he should have made that decision in February. It's not the decision that's the problem it's the timing.

Dude is rehabbing for the second time in 4 years and it’s not going the way he or the team expected. He was already going to miss the opening of the season. He didn’t quit on anyone he chose to call it a career rather than possibly hurt his team by taking longer to recover or coming back and having a setback.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3934WRX Points: 1,093Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,934 Titanium Tees

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

Dude is rehabbing for the second time in 4 years and it’s not going the way he or the team expected. He was already going to miss the opening of the season. He didn’t quit on anyone he chose to call it a career rather than possibly hurt his team by taking longer to recover or coming back and having a setback.

Sounds more plausible than 'he quit on his team.' Sheesh, have some sympathy for the guy!

It's a safe bet that Luck retired because he had to, not because he wanted to.

The golfing parallel would be someone like Fred Couples who most certainly had his career impacted by a bad back.

If anything, the Colts will use the season to tank, get the #1 pick and draft Tua.

Honestly, if that comes to pass, I think the Colts might end up being as hated outside their hometown as the Pats. You don't get lucky enough to land 3 of the best QB prospects ever and not irk people.

I know I'll be mad!

That good fortune in tandem with having Irsay as their owner and no ability to assemble a good team makes them look really bad.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: AeroBurner (3-HL)
    Hybrid: T.E.E. E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

On -, @15th Club said:

On -, @cdnglf said:

On -, @15th Club said:

for once, we agree...

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

On -, @Llortamaisey said:

“That Andrew Luck pulled the plug in his true prime — a la golf’s own Bobby Jones, who retired from competitive golf as an amateur at age 28, in 1930“

Jones came out of retirement a few years later to host and compete in the Masters. While Luck may not start his own game to compete with the Super Bowl, I have a feeling we might see him come out of retirement at a later date as well.

as a broadcaster...

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX  1694WRX Points: 1,259Handicap: +54Posts: 1,694 ClubWRX

Jim Irsay poked and prodded the fan base re Luck.

As far as I can tell, he ran off Peyton Manning and now a nice kid [ and potential hall of famer] by leaking and whining behind the shield of a hyperbolic local sports media...

Just my .02c

-Chris

Posted:
    Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

The NFL kicks the crap out of guys
    Only he knows how much he is hurting
    He could also be bored with football now, not everyone is a Brady or Montana

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,224Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees

On -, @15th Club said:

To me, this is a gigantic issue about how wonderful college football is, and how awful the NFL is. Can anybody imagine a stadium of Stanford students and alumni at Stanford Stadium ever booing Andrew Luck for any reason? Yet that is what some of the boorish NFL fans in Indianapolis did. It's shameful. Hateful, really. They simply proved that Luck made the right decision. Big time. Luck loved college football and everything about it and played it for nothing more than a scholarship and the fun of playing.

I bring this up in the context of a golf discussion because so often I see comparisons of golf, and golf's ruling bodies, to other professional sports leagues. But the NFL is not "football," and the PGA Tour is not "golf."

those fans that booed him will regret that act, imo ... or at least they should ...

Posted:
  • 15th Club15th Club MichiganBanned  2336WRX Points: 642Posts: 2,336 Platinum Tees

On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

On -, @15th Club said:

On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

"His" team? The operation, owned by the Irsay family is valued at a couple billion, has a roster payroll of $200 million or so, all organized under a collective bargaining agreement.

It is the most mercenary thing in sports, right after Major League Baseball and the English Premier League.

How does anyone root for an NFL franchise like it was their undergraduate alma mater?

I have a lot more respect for my favorite professional team than the university from which I received my bachelors degree or my law degree. If you want to do a comparison, universities exploit athletes much more than professional teams.

I’m not talking about “exploitation” per se.

I just don’t have any interest in the NFL and I cannot understand why anybody would. But that’s just me. People are allowed to like the NFL if that is their thing. I suppose.

I hate the NFL because of what it is doing to football and most particularly college football, which I do love. I really wonder what sort of CTE problems there might be if everyone stopped playing football after college and no one had an 8-10 year career of 3 preseason games, 16 regular season games and some odd number of playoff games.

Not suggesting “exploitation” in that. Certainly not when the players elect to play, under elaborately negotiated professional contracts.

But for me there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the NFL. And the more that college football becomes “NFL Lite,” the more it is degraded.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.