Want to buy FIRST SET Mizuno Blades ....Which set is Best?

Ryepatch

I have had a coach for a year and we have been working on my ball striking quite a bit. He suggested I should get a set of blades. I have always been a fan of Mizuno and so would love to hear what people think. Posting this again question again because most threads are from 2013 regarding Mizuno blades, mostly the MP series. I have been drawn to the MP-14s as that is what most people think from previous threads 6 years ago. Don’t really have the chance to demo. I am also the type to buy above my skill level with thoughts that my swing will be there one day.

Thoughts?

MP14 is a great club but it actually has a decent amount of offset weirdly enough and doesn't look "modern". I'd go MP4 or MP5. Both feel great and have *more* modern lofts so they'll keep up distance wise and feel absolutely delicious. Both can be had for a great price.

I have always been partial to the MP-32 because I had a set when I was younger. There is a set on ebay right now for just over $200 dollars that I'm drooling over but know I shouldn't get.

They're great, in my opinion, because they are surprisingly forgiving, but they're definitely blades. And pictures do not do them justice: they are as beautiful as any iron ever made. To my eye, they don't have an equal.

With that said, MP-5 and MP-4 have always been stellar. If you wanted to also check out something non-Mizuno, don't sleep on Wilson Staff blades either. the FG62s are amazing, and I think the FG Tour 100s are spectacular as well. Both of these sets can be had for incredible prices now.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

It's not a blade but the MP64's were butter! and you don't have to beat yourself up with blades JMO

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

I would go for something that wasn't crazy old. The MP-14's you'll find might be cheap so that's the upside They're old though.

The MP-69 was pretty universally loved. The preceding 67 and 68 were good, too, but the 69 was a winner. I bet you could find a good set for a reasonable price.

That's what preceded the "modern" MP4, MP5, etc.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> I would go for something that wasn't crazy old. The MP-14's you'll find might be cheap so that's the upside They're old though.

>

> The MP-69 was pretty universally loved. The preceding 67 and 68 were good, too, but the 69 was a winner. I bet you could find a good set for a reasonable price.

>

> That's what preceded the "modern" MP4, MP5, etc.

Yep. I'd go 69, 4, or 5. All are better than 18 IMO so you're getting better clubs for less.

My personal favorite Mizuno blade that I played then foolishly sold was the MP-37. They have a really nice, clean look at address, the long irons are butter knives, and the short irons don't look as clunky as the short irons in some other Mizuno sets (MP-14 stands out to me for this). Other solid offerings from Mizuno are the MP-4, the MP-68, and the TN-87.

As stated earlier, there are some other blades out there that should not be overlooked to include Wilson Staff, Hogan Apex, Titleist 680, Taylormade RAC MB (I was always particularly fond of the looks of these with the smoked finish), and MacGregor.

• Like 1

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Unless you want to buy an old set of clubs, I would stick with the newer models. You can easily find MP4s and MP5s still in the plastic for short money. I have both sets and find the MP5s to be more forgiving, if that matters to you.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Had a bunch but the ones to me that best split the difference between classic and modern are the MP-33. Best looking too (arguably)

MP-37 are a solid players blade. Overlooked by many but they are legit if you do your part.

MP-14s are classics. A bit clunky looking to me tho.

MP-68/69 are still great but a bit too much bottom fat for my eye. Great playing tho.

MP-32 with cut muscle is cheating but they play well especially if you like a high ball.

MP-4/5 are the newer look at the 68/69.

Honorable mention to the MP-59 as well.

I don’t like the newer boron stuff as much.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @Ri_Redneck said:

> Unless you want to buy an old set of clubs, I would stick with the newer models.

>

> BT

Would this not be completely obvious? But personally, when talking blades, absolutely nothing wrong with older sets given how little changes in performance with on center strikes. My vote goes for the 33's.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I learned golf using Mizuno MP14. I still have this set of irons and likely will be buried with me. I never listened to the ‘game improvement’ chatter as my mentality is the big part of the enjoyment of the game is to come up with the correct, repeatable golf swing......if I can achieve this, the scores will come down. All my irons since then are always forged clubs, currently playing Ft. Worth irons by Hogans.....

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

MP4 are the purest of the modern Mizuno blades, IMO. Of the older stuff, I would go with the 33's.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Not trying to be that guy but history aside, if I was looking at a new set of blades today, I would have to consider a number of other manufacturers and truthfully I am not certain Mizzy's would still be high on my list. Good clubs, just there are many great blades out there these days. So unless you are dead set on getting Mizuno's you may want to open the discussion up a bit.

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> > @Ri_Redneck said:

> > Unless you want to buy an old set of clubs, I would stick with the newer models.

> >

> > BT

>

> Would this not be completely obvious? But personally, when talking blades, absolutely nothing wrong with older sets given how little changes in performance with on center strikes. My vote goes for the 33's.

I take nothing for granted. I have no idea how familiar the OP is with all the MP models, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to cover my bases. Didn't want him to go searching for a specific model and all he can find is brown faced used clubs with shafts that could be rust-weakened from the inside. The MP33 is a great iron no doubt. But it was discontinued 13 yrs ago in '06. Best he can find is a refinished set and are those REALLY going to be just like the original finish? Who knows? Besides, nice MP33 sets are typically priced close to the same condition MP4 sets. MP5s run about $100-$150 more. MP4/5s are only a few years old and available online for a great price. Plus, they will most likely have newer modeled shafts.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Not biased in anyway...MP4s. Modern ‘classic’ in every sense.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Mp33 Mp69 Mp4 the 69 and 4 being more modern so great value. Have had 37 and 68 also. The 64 yes great idea i have 63s....just buy a few sets knowing the Mp4 should be in your bag as part of long term test.Mint Mp14 so hard to find..but Yes also a Buy! Expect to buy 6 MP sets in 6 years....

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

MP4 or MP5 for a more modern take - see if you can try them before you buy, though. A lot of guys did not like the look of the 9I/PW from the MP-5 set, and viewed those clubs as being too rounded. I could probably get over it myself, but if that might be a concern for you, at least check out some online pics so you'll know what you'll be getting (looking down at at address).

If looking to save a few $$$ while easing into blades, MP-69 or MP-32. I played the 32s for years and played some of the best golf of my life with those clubs. Fast forward to 2017, and I foolishly decided to see the old set as I didn't think I'd need them anymore. Missed them so much I just bought another set back on eBay and they're as beautiful as always. Don't plan on using them as an everyday gamer, but will practice with them from time to time for sure.

Welcome to Club Mizzy.

> @Ri_Redneck said:

> > @gwelfgulfer said:

> > > @Ri_Redneck said:

> > > Unless you want to buy an old set of clubs, I would stick with the newer models.

> > >

> > > BT

> >

> > Would this not be completely obvious? But personally, when talking blades, absolutely nothing wrong with older sets given how little changes in performance with on center strikes. My vote goes for the 33's.

>

> I take nothing for granted. I have no idea how familiar the OP is with all the MP models, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to cover my bases. Didn't want him to go searching for a specific model and all he can find is brown faced used clubs with shafts that could be rust-weakened from the inside. The MP33 is a great iron no doubt. But it was discontinued 13 yrs ago in '06. Best he can find is a refinished set and are those REALLY going to be just like the original finish? Who knows? Besides, nice MP33 sets are typically priced close to the same condition MP4 sets. MP5s run about $100-$150 more. MP4/5s are only a few years old and available online for a great price. Plus, they will most likely have newer modeled shafts.

>

> BT

Why would he not be able to find a set of 33's in solid shape? I got my set 2 years ago for $150 CDN with TI S400 shafts in them with no browning and typical chatter. Unless you need to have something TODAY, stuff always pops up or you're able to find with a little searching.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mizuno-MP-33-iron-set-3-pw-RH-DG-S300-MCC-4-Grips-MP-33-Blades/183926244090?hash=item2ad2dbc2fa:g:a80AAOSwvt9dXcF5

This is up just today for $150 US obo, so likely $120. This is with basically no searching or waiting.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

If you can stand looking at the ugliest pitching wedge ever produced get the MP5’s. So forgiving and so soft. The mp18’s were the best looking shape wise I’ve seen in a long time.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @mwink822 said:

> My personal favorite Mizuno blade that I played then foolishly sold was the MP-37. They have a really nice, clean look at address, the long irons are butter knives, and the short irons don't look as clunky as the short irons in some other Mizuno sets (MP-14 stands out to me for this). Other solid offerings from Mizuno are the MP-4, the MP-68, and the TN-87.

>

> As stated earlier, there are some other blades out there that should not be overlooked to include Wilson Staff, Hogan Apex, Titleist 680, Taylormade RAC MB (I was always particularly fond of the looks of these with the smoked finish), and MacGregor.

I was the same, regretted not keeping my own 37s. I managed to find a set in rather good shape and jumped on them. They're an excellent set, pretty straight leading edge, some good bounce, 5* and 6* in the 3i thru 9i.

Been enjoying playing them my last few times out.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If your purchase is a used set check them and get them bent back to spec if needed.

Also if you're used to a cavity back get a set of MP5. That channel makes a difference.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Just out of curiosity, which Mizzy blades (old or new) had the least amount of offset?

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

You can pretty much choose any of them - whatever appeals to your eye - and not go far wrong... but I'd be sorely tempted t follow the below.

It was the MP-32s that suddenly made 'blades' a lusted after option again ( I learnt to play with a set of second hand Sam Snead Blue Ridge not so lustworthy blades....)

> @wrm2120 said:

> I have always been partial to the MP-32 because I had a set when I was younger. There is a set on ebay right now for just over $200 dollars that I'm drooling over but know I shouldn't get.

>

> They're great, in my opinion, because they are surprisingly forgiving, but they're definitely blades. And pictures do not do them justice: they are as beautiful as any iron ever made. To my eye, they don't have an equal.

If you're feeling really flush/ just won the lottery, then you could also check out the Epon AF-Tour, or the newer version the AF-Tour MBII

http://epongolf.us/index.php/products/irons/

(I once saw a set in copper chrome finish and neaerly bought a conplete set to go with a set of copper chrome 302s because they looked so indecently good)

But those Mp32s would be a great start to try... and you could always blend with another older Mizuno iron of the 'player's' cavity back type - which are all a variation on a cavity back with extra weight/muscle behind the sweet spot for the medium/longer irons if you like.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134