We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Handicap to play blades?

golfinguru11 ·  
golfinguru11golfinguru11 Nor Cal 333Members Posts: 333

I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

Posted:
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
Mizuno MP-54 (4,5) MP-20 (6-PW) - Nippon Modus 125 s
Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - Nippon Modus 125 wedge
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

Lefty, Lead tape enthusiast

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • danielt823danielt823 Melbourne 44Members Posts: 44

@golfinguru11 said:
    I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

I’ve only been here on this forum a short time but already know this is one of the most talked about topics.

It’s player dependant, one person may play better with blades because of confidence, the next may suck with them.

Too many variables to determine and hard to quantify. My first round with MP-20 combos coming from JPX919 HM pro was my best round ever.

Posted:

D: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    FW: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    I: Mizuno MP20 - KBS $-Taper (Black PVD) (3 HMB/4,5,6,7 MMC/8,9,PW MB)
    W: Titleist SM7 Chrome (50/56/60)
    P: Taylormade Spider X Tour - Blue/Small Slant
    B: Titleist ProV1
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover

• rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter  270Members Posts: 270

I think the overwhelming answer is that there is absolutely no handicap threshold to play blades - if like said before, you can elevate them; and you have the swing repeatability to find center more than not; you can play blades. Any handicap can play blades, not every player can.

It is just statistical likelihood that fewer higher handicaps play blades and above a certain one you find any with blades because they don't have the swing to play them.

I think the test is, if you can hit a blade 5 iron that goes high enough, you can play blades.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • BB28403BB28403  3883Members Posts: 3,883

Blades are just so beautiful. Especially older Mizuno, Miura and other brands.
    It’s about feel and precision. I guess if you fall under these parameters: Driver- ehh okay, Putter - ehh okay, irons: spot on, wedges: spot on.
    Then I say get blades.

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  867Members Posts: 867

Sarcastic answer: Depends on your handicapping body. For example, under the USGA system where the maximum possible handicap is 36.4 for men, 36.4. Under EGA, the maximum is 54, ergo the maximum to play blades is 54.0.

Real answer: I have a friend who just took up the game. He bought a set of Macgregor Jack Nicklaus 086 blades for $10. That's his set and it's how he'll learn the game. Nothing wrong with that. Can you tolerate the performance of a blade on your sub-par swings? I'm a 6.9, and I can. But that doesn't mean you will, or anyone else will.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Advertisement
  • aquapigaquapig  313Members Posts: 313

@danielt823 said:

@golfinguru11 said:

I’ve only been here on this forum a short time but already know this is one of the most talked about topics.

It’s player dependant, one person may play better with blades because of confidence, the next may suck with them.

Too many variables to determine and hard to quantify. My first round with MP-20 combos coming from JPX919 HM pro was my best round ever.

What combo did you go with?

Posted:
  • aquapigaquapig  313Members Posts: 313

@tets said:
    ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

Great post.

I'm playing to about a 6 right now. The reason I don't shoot par is I'm a terrible chipper and I have a drive a round that leads to a double bogey.

I've played MP 30s, JPX 900 F and now MP 57s. My scores haven't changed much. I'd say the least "forgiving" were the MP30s and those are the only sticks I've broken par with.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  1984Members Posts: 1,984

Handicap and club type are almost as irrelevant as swing speed and club type.

If one can’t find the center of the club head it’s going to penalize you regardless of what your handicap is.

Posted:
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  2917Members Posts: 2,917

No.......It is not a handicap to play blades.....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio 189Members Posts: 189

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9* (set at 8 Degrees)
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* (set at 14 degrees)
    Mizuno MP-20 SELs Irons 3-PW with PX LZ 6.0
    Callaway MD5 50 Degree Wedge
    Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Select 2016 Newport 2

• xyckinxyckin Singapore/Columbia,SC 26Members Posts: 26

oh you just opened a gate you wish you didn't :open_mouth:

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 (10.5) - Tensei Pro White 60 TX
    Cobra F7 (16) - Fujikura Pro 65x
    Taylormade P790 UDI (HZRDUS Black 85 6.0) ||  Mizuno CLK 19* (Fujikura Pro Hybrid X-Stiff)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi 4-iron (C-Taper Lite 115X)
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5-PW (C-Taper 130X)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50* SB/ 54* HB
    Taylormade Hi-Toe ATV 60*
    Taylormade Spider Black
  • TXTrapLordTXTrapLord r/TXGolf 72Members Posts: 72
    1. There is no handicap restriction.
    2. It is all preference.
    3. It will boil down to ball striking.
    4. blah blah blah.
    5. Blades are softer off the club face than CB's more often than not.
    6. Stop these threads.
    Posted:

GWOT Trap Lord

M5 - D
    M3 - 3W
    MP-69 - 4-P
    Srixon U85 3 DI
    SM6 52, SM6 54, SM7 60
    Odyssey WH

• balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

@iceman1118 said:
    No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

IMO even a 20 could be fine playing a 9 iron blade. Playing a 210 par 3 over water from the tips you'd notice a difference between the MP4 4 iron and your own.

That said, granted you have the speed to get the launch conditions right for blades the biggest considerations in my testing have been

1. Sole grind - a sharper grind like Mizuno MP is less forgiving if you come into the ball even the slightest bit early
    2. Shaft - this is a huge consideration with any club but IMO makes a bigger difference with blades
    3. CG - if you find one that suits your contact and delivery it can work as well as a CB

For me, granted the shaft is right, I have no issue hitting blades but I have the speed and contact to do so. I know golfers who are much better than I am as a whole who do much better with CBs.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

Advertisement
  • iceman1118iceman1118 Northeast 80Members Posts: 80

@balls_deep said:

@iceman1118 said:
    No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

IMO even a 20 could be fine playing a 9 iron blade. Playing a 210 par 3 over water from the tips you'd notice a difference between the MP4 4 iron and your own.

That said, granted you have the speed to get the launch conditions right for blades the biggest considerations in my testing have been

1. Sole grind - a sharper grind like Mizuno MP is less forgiving if you come into the ball even the slightest bit early
    2. Shaft - this is a huge consideration with any club but IMO makes a bigger difference with blades
    3. CG - if you find one that suits your contact and delivery it can work as well as a CB

For me, granted the shaft is right, I have no issue hitting blades but I have the speed and contact to do so. I know golfers who are much better than I am as a whole who do much better with CBs.

Fair point.

Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade M6 Hazardous Smoke 6.5 X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M6 Hazardous Smoke 6.5 X
    Driving Iron: TaylorMade UDI Hazardous Smoke 6.0 S
    Irons: TaylorMade P790 4 - AW KBS C Taper 130 X
    Wedges: TaylorMade Hi Toe Copper 54.10/58.10 KBS C Taper 120 S
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Copper Slant
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Handicap: 7.4

• uglandeuglande  218Members Posts: 218

None. But every golfer (even most pros) reach a point of diminishing returns in their set. Anyone can hit a 9 iron blade but when you get to 5 or 6 iron your consistency will fall off and your yardage gaps will narrow.

If you like to work the ball or flight the ball, blades are great. If you are mostly just trying to hit straight shots, then blades probably don't make sense unless you just love the look and feel.

Maybe try a blended set with blades in the short irons and just try to identify the spot in your bag where the "cons" of blades start to outweigh the "pros."

Posted:
    Post edited by uglande on
    08.25 - TaylorMade M5 (Project X Hzrdus Yellow)
    13.50 - TaylorMade OO (Project X Hzrdus Yellow)
    16.50 - Titleist 917 F2 (Diamana White)
    21.00 - Titleist 917 F2 (Diamana White)
    23.00 - Titleist U-500 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

45.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-F
    50.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-F
    54.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-S
    60.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-D
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Center-Shafted
    Ball - Titleist ProV1x #68
  • xyckinxyckin Singapore/Columbia,SC 26Members Posts: 26

Don't the older guys on this site always say that they started learning golf with blades and can still hit bombs at older ages?

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 (10.5) - Tensei Pro White 60 TX
    Cobra F7 (16) - Fujikura Pro 65x
    Taylormade P790 UDI (HZRDUS Black 85 6.0) ||  Mizuno CLK 19* (Fujikura Pro Hybrid X-Stiff)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi 4-iron (C-Taper Lite 115X)
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5-PW (C-Taper 130X)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50* SB/ 54* HB
    Taylormade Hi-Toe ATV 60*
    Taylormade Spider Black
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5280Members Posts: 5,280

NO, NO, NO, The prerequisite to playing blades has nothing to do with handicap, It has to do with blade snobbery, or B S for short.
    You have to be able to hold your head higher than your average player, and hold disdain for all who do not play blades or those that
    Question your reason for playing blades. These boards and others are filled with this very question every week, merely weak golfers
    Who seem to be asking for permission to play a certain type of iron, when really their answer should not matter, grow some balls and
    Learn to say F U, to those that question your decision, and look down at them, who feel they have no game for blades.
    **** thee non blade player, **** thee to ****,

We can go on for hours, but why ??????? If you can't be a Blade Snob, Why ask ??????

Note , membership is growing at a better pace than last year and will be held on
    Every weekend at various golf venues across the world

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington Ontario 842Members Posts: 842

Cap is irrelevant to a certain degree. But you need to be a great ball striker who finds the middle of the face often.

Posted:
    915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    915 19 Aldila
    2019 P790 4-PW Dg 105 S300
    SM7 48, 54, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron

Advertisement
  • Bebsport678Bebsport678  81Members Posts: 81

I think my biggest question to the OP is what draws you to blades? Do you need to work the ball more? Are you getting too much distance with a GI iron? Do you just like the way they look? Legit questions...

Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver  722Members Posts: 722

There's no handicap, it's up to the individual. Clearly harder to hit than cavity backs but if you like them, play'em.

Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • Fairway14Fairway14  270Members Posts: 270

@golfinguru11 said:

I expect some beginners would strike consistently better shots with small head blade irons compared to large head cavity back irons. So, to answer your question, I don't think a players handicap is relevant to iron head size and or blade vs cavity back. Players should try different iron designs and play the one which produces the consistently best results.

Posted:
  • danielt823danielt823 Melbourne 44Members Posts: 44

@aquapig said:

@danielt823 said:

@golfinguru11 said:

What combo did you go with?

Without hijacking OP’s thread;
    3 HMB
    4,5,6 MMC
    7-PW MB

Posted:

D: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    FW: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    I: Mizuno MP20 - KBS $-Taper (Black PVD) (3 HMB/4,5,6,7 MMC/8,9,PW MB)
    W: Titleist SM7 Chrome (50/56/60)
    P: Taylormade Spider X Tour - Blue/Small Slant
    B: Titleist ProV1
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover

• TXTrapLordTXTrapLord r/TXGolf 72Members Posts: 72

@puttingmatt said:
    NO, NO, NO, The prerequisite to playing blades has nothing to do with handicap, It has to do with blade snobbery, or B S for short.
    You have to be able to hold your head higher than your average player, and hold disdain for all who do not play blades or those that
    Question your reason for playing blades. These boards and others are filled with this very question every week, merely weak golfers
    Who seem to be asking for permission to play a certain type of iron, when really their answer should not matter, grow some balls and
    Learn to say F U, to those that question your decision, and look down at them, who feel they have no game for blades.
    **** thee non blade player, **** thee to ****,

We can go on for hours, but why ??????? If you can't be a Blade Snob, Why ask ??????

Note , membership is growing at a better pace than last year and will be held on
    Every weekend at various golf venues across the world

Lul wut?

Posted:

GWOT Trap Lord

M5 - D
    M3 - 3W
    MP-69 - 4-P
    Srixon U85 3 DI
    SM6 52, SM6 54, SM7 60
    Odyssey WH

Advertisement
  • chippa13chippa13  2480Members Posts: 2,480

@aquapig said:

@tets said:
    ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

Great post.

I'm playing to about a 6 right now. The reason I don't shoot par is I'm a terrible chipper and I have a drive a round that leads to a double bogey.

I've played MP 30s, JPX 900 F and now MP 57s. My scores haven't changed much. I'd say the least "forgiving" were the MP30s and those are the only sticks I've broken par with.

Funny how people always blame terrible chipping rather than inaccurate irons.

Posted:
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3637Members Posts: 3,637

The difference between a blade and a similarly-sized CB is going to come down to feel (and to some degree work-ability).

As you strike a golf club off-center, it tends to twist and rotate. This is felt through the hands. The perimeter weighting on a CB will partially dampen these vibrations. A blade will provide harsher feedback when your strike varies around the face. Nonetheless, blades tend to feel a bit more pure when struck flush. Thus, those who can strike their irons flush sometimes find blades more appealing.

I also suspect (based on my own experiences) that putting extra weight around the perimeter of a club (especially out at the toe) can tend to make the club harder to manipulate through impact and thus not as easy to work. So, IMHO, I think there might be something to the idea that blades make it slightly easier for a hand-sy player to shape shots on command.

Beyond that, the differences are minimal. I enjoy having a little extra weight out at the toe because that's where I tend to miss on occasion and I believe a little extra mass does help me to stay pin high. Furthermore, I feel like I am more apt to start my CBs on line, probably due to the extra heft.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (60-TX)
    Fairways: M6 (3w / 5w / 7w)
    Irons: 716 CB 3-P
    Wedges: SM6 53-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16077Members Posts: 16,077

Contrary to what may have been said, there is no handicap connected to losing strokes or playing blades. And whether someone plays blades depends greatly on the practice regime and game goals. And what costs strokes with any club is brain fa**s, poor self-control but let's not overlook people with a weasel mentality that think playing blades is about some form of snobbery. Never ceases to amaze me, people that can't or won't do whatever usually have judgment and or fear of failure issues, so they shouldn't play blades as they whine till the cows come home and whine some more to others.

At forty years old, I took up the game with off the shelve Pings and switched to Mizuno blades after eight (8) months and reached high single-digit inside of five years, eventually got down to a two. The other day I was motivated so I got my blades out, and they didn't cost me any strokes and I am probably way older than "YOU." They reminded me just how sweet they can be. But it's also important to remember MB internal head design has everything to do with how difficult the head may be to properly hit the ball. All blade designs are NOT created equal, for that matter, neither are player CB's.

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    • Titleist TS2 16.5* D.Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "R"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.