So what are the hot wedges for 2018?

SNIPERBBB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 52 and 56 in the SM7 on the way with a 60 in the Hi Toe. I think the options vokey has are unparalleled and the Hi Toe looks cool and kills it with the flop. I tried out the glide 2 but thought it was a bit big / not ahuge fan of the feel. Haven't the callaways though. Digger myself too

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

Callaway MD4's are almost like cheating.

Unless they are Mack Daddy Forged.

Agreed, the forged are gtreat wedges

Callaway MD4's are almost like cheating.

Unless they are Mack Daddy Forged.

Agreed, the forged are great wedges

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

The Callaway MD4 is an excellent wedge, way better for me that the Glide 2.0. And I’m a Ping boy given I have 12 Pings in my bag currently. And it’s a Ping bag.

I also have a Cleveland CBX 52 which is probably the most stable wedge I’ve owned from 110 yards to 60 yards. I use the MD4 X- Grind also from about 85 yards and for all short pitches and chips, a bit more versatile than the Cleveland for shotmaking.

I just received my Ping glide stealth. I had Ping put their Wrx grind on the 60 and bounce/ heel grind on the 54.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Seems like the best wedges are those Artisans that some WRX'ers have gotten customized.

They are gorgeous.

There is no best one wedge for all - it's what fits you that is best

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I just refreshed my wedge collection with the RTX 3 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges.

I really like them so far. Nice feel, longer on full shots than my old MD3 wedges. The ball seems to come off hotter than my old MD3 wedges so that I am trying to get used to. Full shots spin like a champ. My only real minor complaint is that the face seems to scratch/wear pretty easily.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

I went for a fitting about a month ago. Had I not went I would have probably bought Vokeys. I tried Vokeys, Milled Grind, and Mack Daddy's and didn't really enjoy them the slightest even though they are all beautiful clubs. I loved the look just didn't like swing/feel. I've used Cleveland for a long time and so upgraded to RTX-3 and hit them so much better. I'm glad I didn't buy on looks alone.

Just put a Vokey SM7 58-12 D grind in the bag and this is a fantastic wedge with an excellent grind for the course conditions I play. The D grind makes sand shots effortless and is great for flop shots and full shots as well. Had last years SM-6 58-12 K grind and liked it enough to purchase an SM-7 58-14 K grind which has too much bounce with the wide sole, got rid of it and purchased the D grind and glad I did. Tried the Callawway MD 4 and just never got the feel that I am used to with Vokey's.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I've recently had to face the reality that I have to find new wedges since I've exhausted my supply of Chikara V1 Protos & can't find anymore worth buying. I've used them for the past 6 years and have never hit anything that suited me as well in almost 40 years of golf. The original PING Eye 2's were my favorite prior to the Chikara experience and was excited to try the "new" Eye 2's from a couple years ago.

Around a month ago I was able to gather and hit 6 versions of the Eye 2 in a marathon wedge session. When it was all said and done, I wasn't convinced I'd found my replacement. So over the month since the initial testing, I've hit the newest Vokey, Cleveland, TM, 3 versions of Mack Daddy, 2 versions of Mizuno, and the PING Glide Stealth and a few Edel, Vega, and Miura offerings was well.

I made a decision to eliminate the boutique brands because my luck with the JDM stuff was while they are absolute performers, they don't last as long (think 2 and maybe 3 60's and 56's respectively per season) and usually have to re-shaft to get them right for me.

So after spending an entire day hitting countless balls from inside 40 yards from all lies and 10 yard bunker shots, I was able to narrow it down to 2 wedges. Callaway Mack Daddy Forged and PING Glide 2.0 Stealth. Both were shafted with S400, 35.5", and D6. It took me a week of playing, practicing, and simply having one of them in my hands for almost every second I wasn't eating or sleeping to make a decision. The MD looks and feels better than the Stealth and obviously spins a little more on most shots. But in all honesty, the Stealth performed better overall and consistently got me closer to the hole. Plus with PING WRX, you can get them made damned near any way you want.

After bagging the Stealth for the past two weeks and handling them everyday, I can say that I've made the right choice. The 60ES looks a lot like the old Eye 2 LW but incorporates just enough modern wedge look about it to make it work for me. The milling gives enough consistent grip and spin and I can flight these better than anything I've tried. I also have the 56SS and 50SS as well. They all are predictably consistent and easy to like. And for those worrying about the finish, all 3 look like they did when they arrived from Phoenix.

Hope this helps any of you thinking about the Stealth. IMHO, it's the best wedge PING has made in decades.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

It was time to replace my trusty Vokey as the grooves are getting pretty worn out. Looked at the new Vokey's but as best I can tell there are 3,457 different permutations and I just didn't have the patience. Gave the CBX's a try and it was love at first chip. Hopefully the love affair travels to the golf course. It was out of stock in the first shop and the second says they are selling like crazy. It's their #1 selling wedge, which kind of surprised me.

Recently got an RTX-3 50* to complete the "set (with 56* & 64*) and just today the PGATSS finally got a 58* TM Hi-Toe DEMO and I tried chipping and hitting it into a net and loved it.

And TM has added a 64* Hi-Toe now as well. Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in !!! :cry:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I have a 52 and 56 in the SM7 on the way with a 60 in the Hi Toe. I think the options vokey has are unparalleled and the Hi Toe looks cool and kills it with the flop. I tried out the glide 2 but thought it was a bit big / not ahuge fan of the feel. Haven't the callaways though. Digger myself too

SM7 makes high toe?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I've recently had to face the reality that I have to find new wedges since I've exhausted my supply of Chikara V1 Protos & can't find anymore worth buying. I've used them for the past 6 years and have never hit anything that suited me as well in almost 40 years of golf. The original PING Eye 2's were my favorite prior to the Chikara experience and was excited to try the "new" Eye 2's from a couple years ago.

Around a month ago I was able to gather and hit 6 versions of the Eye 2 in a marathon wedge session. When it was all said and done, I wasn't convinced I'd found my replacement. So over the month since the initial testing, I've hit the newest Vokey, Cleveland, TM, 3 versions of Mack Daddy, 2 versions of Mizuno, and the PING Glide Stealth and a few Edel, Vega, and Miura offerings was well.

I made a decision to eliminate the boutique brands because my luck with the JDM stuff was while they are absolute performers, they don't last as long (think 2 and maybe 3 60's and 56's respectively per season) and usually have to re-shaft to get them right for me.

So after spending an entire day hitting countless balls from inside 40 yards from all lies and 10 yard bunker shots, I was able to narrow it down to 2 wedges. Callaway Mack Daddy Forged and PING Glide 2.0 Stealth. Both were shafted with S400, 35.5", and D6. It took me a week of playing, practicing, and simply having one of them in my hands for almost every second I wasn't eating or sleeping to make a decision. The MD looks and feels better than the Stealth and obviously spins a little more on most shots. But in all honesty, the Stealth performed better overall and consistently got me closer to the hole. Plus with PING WRX, you can get them made damned near any way you want.

After bagging the Stealth for the past two weeks and handling them everyday, I can say that I've made the right choice. The 60ES looks a lot like the old Eye 2 LW but incorporates just enough modern wedge look about it to make it work for me. The milling gives enough consistent grip and spin and I can flight these better than anything I've tried. I also have the 56SS and 50SS as well. They all are predictably consistent and easy to like. And for those worrying about the finish, all 3 look like they did when they arrived from Phoenix.

Hope this helps any of you thinking about the Stealth. IMHO, it's the best wedge PING has made in decades.

Wish I had known you were looking, I have a near new Chikara gathering dust.........the Ping 60* ES is an awesome wedge though......you won't be disapointed.

SM7 raw.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

• 2 months later...

Been playing rtx3 for the past year and just put Mizuno S18 Wedges in the bag. Was playing 46, 50, 54 and 58 in rtx3. Put my J15cb pw back in the bag with S18 50, 54 and 58. Love the feel of them. Knew after two shots they were head and shoulders better than the rtx3. Recommend trying Mizuno. Awesome Wedges. Even with the Boron felt soft and so smooth.

So many great wedges out there now - you just need to demo, see what looks good to your eye and see if the grind fits what you want to do with that particular loft of club.

I'm playing the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth in 50SS Grind, ES Grind in the 56, SS Grind in 60 - versatile, can do anything with those three - but if I play a links course, the Glide Forged 60 may be the one - a cross between SS and TS Grinds.

The SM7 is also a fine wedge - many like the new 60 D Grind with 12 bounce. And they have plenty of shaft options.

Everything listed in all of the posts above are great - you've just got to find what fits you.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Not getting along with my stock TM P790 A wedge so I ordered the new released Ion Blue S18 50-7 and a matching S18 56-06 sand wedge with the Nippon Modus Tour 120S and some complimentary custom stamping! Love my gunmetal S18 50-06 currently so should be a "no learning curve" swap.

Other than the S18's I have been looking at the TM MG wedges but haven't hit any yet...

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0