Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

The price of PXG's...younger folks think that's the new entry price to play golf.

Interesting. I got my PXG clubs through the Heroes Program and were actually cheaper than a set of Titleist. Now, they are even offering the Gen1's for a very good price.

I never thought PXG clubs were aimed at young people with no money to spare.

Thank you for your service. Hope you had a wonderful Veteran's Day.

To ALL of you veterans out there !!! :good:

op7oup.jpg

Thank you!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up leaving a course before teeing off #1 and going home instead today because the self-important ~65 year old I was paired with today on a very busy course refused to share a cart with me and attempted to swap me out for some random walker single with a later tee time that he claimed to "know from playing with before." The course staff finally agreed to give me my own cart, but Mr. Self-Important still wasn't interested in having me along and basically told me his group was taking the walker and teeing off without me. The next group they could pair me with was at a time 45 minutes later with little chance of getting in 18 before dark, and at that point I had zero interest in playing with this a-hole even if he caved in to the staff and let me join, so I told the shop staff to give me a refund and I went home golf-less today.

I can see how a less dedicated/newer-to-the-game player could end up deciding to leave the game altogether if they have repeated experiences like this involving other players. It ruined my afternoon, and I've been playing this game for 20+ years and 2000+ rounds.

Unreal, but not surprising, that there are a-holes like this in the game. If I understand your post correctly, you were assigned a tee time as they were fitting you in as a single and this guy refused to play with you?

I know it's easy for me to say from here, but I would have insisted to the pro shop that I was teeing off when I was supposed to, regardless of what the other golfer wanted. I'm just obstinate enough to do it out of spite and make HIM decide whether his (unfounded) distaste for me was worth missing his tee time. Would it have made for a potentially miserable round? Maybe. But I sometimes think life lessons need to be handed out, and it may have been good for someone to show this bully he can't always get what he wants.

Again, I wasn't there, and I may not be operating with all the relevant info, but guys like that piss me off and I tend to look for ways to prove a point to people like that.

Ended up leaving a course before teeing off #1 and going home instead today because the self-important ~65 year old I was paired with today on a very busy course refused to share a cart with me and attempted to swap me out for some random walker single with a later tee time that he claimed to "know from playing with before." The course staff finally agreed to give me my own cart, but Mr. Self-Important still wasn't interested in having me along and basically told me his group was taking the walker and teeing off without me. The next group they could pair me with was at a time 45 minutes later with little chance of getting in 18 before dark, and at that point I had zero interest in playing with this a-hole even if he caved in to the staff and let me join, so I told the shop staff to give me a refund and I went home golf-less today.

I can see how a less dedicated/newer-to-the-game player could end up deciding to leave the game altogether if they have repeated experiences like this involving other players. It ruined my afternoon, and I've been playing this game for 20+ years and 2000+ rounds.

Unreal, but not surprising, that there are a-holes like this in the game. If I understand your post correctly, you were assigned a tee time as they were fitting you in as a single and this guy refused to play with you?

I know it's easy for me to say from here, but I would have insisted to the pro shop that I was teeing off when I was supposed to, regardless of what the other golfer wanted. I'm just obstinate enough to do it out of spite and make HIM decide whether his (unfounded) distaste for me was worth missing his tee time. Would it have made for a potentially miserable round? Maybe. But I sometimes think life lessons need to be handed out, and it may have been good for someone to show this bully he can't always get what he wants.

Again, I wasn't there, and I may not be operating with all the relevant info, but guys like that piss me off and I tend to look for ways to prove a point to people like that.

Problem is, with "guys like that", you can't.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Problem is, with "guys like that", you can't.

I agree with that. We live in a day and time where doing the right thing and being respectable to self and others is the exception. The media is garbage and there is not much parenting going on these days. There are plenty of good people still out there, just not what you might expect.

Yes, I had booked an open slot in a tee time that a threesome had reserved. Booked it a week ahead of time, in fact. You are right, I could have probably insisted on playing in his group at the time I had reserved, but after sizing up the guy's personality based on the way he was reacting to the situation, the thought of spending 4.5 hours with him didn't sound too appealing. I've played with his type enough to know that you aren't going to change his view of you or successfully prove a point over the duration of the round no matter what you do. Even if he understands your side, he doesn't care.

Also I'm fairly certain he was the guy I saw take up two parking spaces with his precious Cadillac SRX in the parking lot when I was pulling in. Fits the profile.

Yes, I had booked an open slot in a tee time that a threesome had reserved. Booked it a week ahead of time, in fact. You are right, I could have probably insisted on playing in his group at the time I had reserved, but after sizing up the guy's personality based on the way he was reacting to the situation, the thought of spending 4.5 hours with him didn't sound too appealing. I've played with his type enough to know that you aren't going to change his view of you or successfully prove a point over the duration of the round no matter what you do. Even if he understands your side, he doesn't care.

Also I'm fairly certain he was the guy I saw take up two parking spaces with his precious Cadillac SRX in the parking lot when I was pulling in. Fits the profile.

So...one of my personality problems is that I'll sometimes put myself in an uncomfortable situation just to prove a point with someone. I like leaning into the friction. While I know it wouldn't have changed his outlook on anything, it would have been worth the greens fees for me to force myself into the foursome just to show him he can't always get his way. Then I would have been super nice to *try* to get him feeling like crap over being so judgemental. Petty? Sure. But, again, sometimes I feel compelled to hand out life lessons, even if the student isn't paying attention.

I can have fun on a golf course no matter what. My fun would have been amplified knowing I was probably making his afternoon worse.

As for the parking job, that's why some people carry chalk in their cars.

VQa0Q0S.jpg

cost/time

Even for me, an avid golfer, there's nothing worse than going out on a Sunday spending +/- $50 for the round and waiting on the course for 5 hours. Add to that an hour on each side of that for travel and practice, and you almost have a full work day. In today's tight schedule, and families with kids, it just isn't feasible. That's why everybody complains about slow play because it just ruins whatever time some golfers have abling them to play.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

cost/time

Even for me, an avid golfer, there's nothing worse than going out on a Sunday spending +/- $50 for the round and waiting on the course for 5 hours. Add to that an hour on each side of that for travel and practice, and you almost have a full work day. In today's tight schedule, and families with kids, it just isn't feasible. That's why everybody complains about slow play because it just ruins whatever time some golfers have abling them to play.

That's what finally drove me private. My wife and daughter are not early risers on Sunday, so I'm able to get about half my round in before they are awake, so I don't miss out much on time we could be spending together. Being able to play a round of golf without feeling rushed and still be finished by noon on a weekend is absolutely priceless.

I'm fortunate in that I was able to find a club that I enjoy that wasn't ridiculously expensive. Not every golfer is so lucky, and I truly feel for those that don't have an affordable private option in their area.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I’m not walking away! Having played this game since 1968, I’ve seen a few things that have changed since I began playing golf. NUMBER 1: The game has become very expensive to play. NUMBER 2: Etiquette is lost on a large percentage of players. NUMBER 3: The pace of play has slowed despite people using more golf carts. This one is a head scratcher. NUMBER 4: This one may hurt a little, but many of the club professionals and assistant club professionals need to take a course or two in salesmanship. By this I mean, selling their club. Most in my region give the impression that they can take or leave whether you come to play their course. Courtesy and salesmanship go a long way in the “service business”. My 2-cents!

I think some people walk away because of a cost/benefit analysis.

If you blindly offered me this list of pros/cons, I probably wouldn't play either.

pros:

Can be good exercise (although 4 hours of golf is not as calorie-efficient or cost-efficient as a gym membership and equivalent hours of cardio)

Good for socializing

Good for stress management

Cons:

Your wife may resent the time/money you spend

Your boss may question whether you should really be cutting out at 3pm 3-4 times/month

You will spend a couple mortgage payments worth of money each year for little tangible benefit

You may end up making any knees, feet, and back problems worse

You will spend full years participating with little noticeable improvement (or a noticeable decline)

You will probably eat/drink enough to negate any positive health outcomes

Long term, I'd have more money if I didn't play, I'd probably be in better physical shape if I didn't play, and I'd spend more time with my family if I didn't play (I'd actually probably find a different hobby). But I'm an addict and golf is probably the healthiest addiction I can have. I'm sure my wife is willing to deal with me playing golf rather than going back to tournament softball, late night poker games, or bar-hopping.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I talked with a buddy at my club about this today...the future of golf. I think one thing that is hurting golf is a pervasive attitude that, to me, makes it look like a good-ole-boys' club of whiners. I'm early 50s. Guys older than me, when they see me playing with a few kids, automatically call the pro shop to gripe about something - EVEN THOUGH we're playing a fast round, respecting the course, etc. Happens all the time. Just three days ago, I was playing with my wife and son at a local public track and the starter was rude and allowed a foursome of old guys to cut in front of us when they whined to him. Ends up, my son and I were waiting all day pushing these guys - they couldn't play to save their lives. My son, bless his heart, didn't care. But, I was pissed. The observation I shared today, and will share again here, is that there are a lot of guys who play golf who are quick to b**** about something. Our assistant pro at our club will, when called, drive a cart out to apprehend us, see it's me, my kid and my buddie's kids and just chuckle and say, "nevermind", and drive back. He knows we're fine. But, it's the crotchety old dudes... They are hurting the game as though they don't care if it dies with them. Just my opinion...

I talked with a buddy at my club about this today...the future of golf. I think one thing that is hurting golf is a pervasive attitude that, to me, makes it look like a good-ole-boys' club of whiners. I'm early 50s. Guys older than me, when they see me playing with a few kids, automatically call the pro shop to gripe about something - EVEN THOUGH we're playing a fast round, respecting the course, etc. Happens all the time. Just three days ago, I was playing with my wife and son at a local public track and the starter was rude and allowed a foursome of old guys to cut in front of us when they whined to him. Ends up, my son and I were waiting all day pushing these guys - they couldn't play to save their lives. My son, bless his heart, didn't care. But, I was pissed. The observation I shared today, and will share again here, is that there are a lot of guys who play golf who are quick to b**** about something. Our assistant pro at our club will, when called, drive a cart out to apprehend us, see it's me, my kid and my buddie's kids and just chuckle and say, "nevermind", and drive back. He knows we're fine. But, it's the crotchety old dudes... They are hurting the game as though they don't care if it dies with them. Just my opinion...

Public golf sucks...period. You gotta join a private club with a pool and tennis so the whole family can hang out....thus, nobody cares if you're playing golf.

Public golf sucks...period. You gotta join a private club with a pool and tennis so the whole family can hang out....thus, nobody cares if you're playing golf.

Doesn’t look like golf is getting any closer to the masses. Haha

Damnit. I was right, those that left golf are back in droves, least in CA. I had to call four courses last week before I could get a decent tee time. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Long term, I'd have more money if I didn't play, I'd probably be in better physical shape if I didn't play, and I'd spend more time with my family if I didn't play (I'd actually probably find a different hobby). But I'm an addict and golf is probably the healthiest addiction I can have. I'm sure my wife is willing to deal with me playing golf rather than going back to tournament softball, late night poker games, or bar-hopping.

I've heard this argument before and it's never rung true to me. If you are the type of person that allows golf to negatively impact your family life, you'll simply find a different hobby/vice that will ultimately have the same effect if you quit golf.

Golf's negative social impact is a symptom, not a cause.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Damnit. I was right, those that left golf are back in droves, least in CA. I had to call four courses last week before I could get a decent tee time. :beach:

I love the folks who just want something to be what they believe. Courses are as mobbed as ever. Nobody is walking away. My private club is at full capacity...they are turning away folks.

We had a local course close down because a huge local company bought the land. I got a membership at a beautiful (but expensive) course near me with 27 holes out in bum frick nowhere. My buddies got a membership at a 18 hole more public course. I never need a tee time and I play pretty much every day. I could count on one hand the amount of rounds I actually had to wait any amount of time between shots. I go to there place and could not even get a cart because all of them were being used. I looked at the course in horror as there was 2 groups on a lot of tees. I just left. I guess its like that all the time. I am spoiled but if I had to play a course like my buddies I would have given up the game.

I just got back into golf after a break to find that the course in town that I frequent has closed down as well as a driving range a few blocks from where I live (and where I practiced weekly). Getting tough to find somewhere to practice and the only options are a golf course that is very stuffy and busy (known for 5 and 6 somes) or the local 9 hole muni that is so short and in very poor shape.

Smh.

Hopefully I can move to the Austin/San Antonio area when I’m done with school and I’ll have more golf options.

From a UK perspective, the courses I've played/play don't seem to have too much of a waiting on the tee problem at the time I can play. As far as membership/pay and play fees go, all of the ones within 20 miles are very similar and the etiquette is usually adhered to regarding letting people through (after a few holes anyway) and not playing any music. Why do you guys in the US need music to play? I understand having an alcoholic drink but music?

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

From a UK perspective, the courses I've played/play don't seem to have too much of a waiting on the tee problem at the time I can play. As far as membership/pay and play fees go, all of the ones within 20 miles are very similar and the etiquette is usually adhered to regarding letting people through (after a few holes anyway) and not playing any music. Why do you guys in the US need music to play? I understand having an alcoholic drink but music?

Mostly wanks, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

Rude old crusty Marshalls aka Player assistants . Golf courses pack the tee sheets with back to back to back times and either chase people around or the marshals don't come out at all . I rarely if ever complain about slow players one of the times I did I was told " yes they are a couple holes behind the group in front of them however they are right on time " I laughed and thought of the times I was told at a different course that we were suppose to keep up with the group in front of us even though I knew we weren't behind and they had just left the green . The game needs to make the cart girls the marshals and let the old men drive the drink carts.

Always comes down to time and money.

Golf is sort of like going to a football game or concert or (not playing in it since nobody over 18 is really playing a sport for anything other than exercise). I can watch a football game at home on my sofa for $0 and spend 0 minutes getting there and if the game sucks watch something else. Or I can pay $250 for 4 tickets, parking and food to go there. The view from my sofa is better.

With higher level public golf, it's 15 minutes to the course, 30 minute warm up, 4.5 hour round, say $60. Or I can be entertained by my computer or TV or doing other things for basically free.

I'm convinced golf made a mistake trying to make itself more accessible. There are the haves and have nots in the world. I've been on both sides. The have-nots will really struggle to get hooked on golf from a time and money perspective. The haves can hire others to do their stuff giving them the time needed to play. And they have the money to play a private course where rounds move faster, they can walk, they can hang with other haves, and can afford whatever equipment they want.

Old moneyed clubs are doing fine. Cheap public golf provided usually by the county or state does fine. It's cheap and the courses are easy to maintain and the conditions are good enough to suffice.

Daily fee public courses are the ones really struggling because it's where the combo of time and money doesn't make sense on a regular basis.

I don't think the cost of equipment is the reason why people are walking away from the game...

With that said, we met with Ping, Callaway, and Titleist yesterday so they can reveal their upcoming product...

The G410 will have a price increase, the new Callaway driver designed by AI will have a price increase, and I'm not sure about the new Titleist driver.

Ping and Titleist are 2 year cycle vendors which I appreciate...

Also, Ping does a great job with offering older models at a lower price...

The reason people are walking away from the game? I'm sure there are a lot of factors...

I don't think the cost of equipment is the reason why people are walking away from the game...

With that said, we met with Ping, Callaway, and Titleist yesterday so they can reveal their upcoming product...

The G410 will have a price increase, the new Callaway driver designed by AI will have a price increase, and I'm not sure about the new Titleist driver.

Ping and Titleist are 2 year cycle vendors which I appreciate...

Also, Ping does a great job with offering older models at a lower price...

The reason people are walking away from the game? I'm sure there are a lot of factors...

But cost is not a contributing factor?

Ok...

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

So tired of hearing about cost being a factor because golf courses are more crowded than ever. PXG offers clubs that require financing, and private clubs like mine are booked solid. Nobody is walking away but the folks who want to complain about golf on here...then they go to PGASS and buy a new set of irons on Tuesday because you wouldn't be on here if your weren't a golf fanatic.