MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

Comments

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC  1658Members Posts: 1,658

I’ve been on the tee boxes on the left of 16 but never that far left. It does give you a good angle though.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016  3072Members Posts: 3,072

I am always right on 16. The tee box lines you up with the maple tree between 16 and 18

Posted:
  • Golfer827Golfer827 Known as 'The Deadman'  1892Members Posts: 1,892

I've been Right, I've been left, I've been dead center. That little mound of grass in front of the green always does me in.

Let the fun commence in a couple weeks. I should get some CSPC's in one night...

Posted:
    Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
    Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
    Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
    Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
    Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
    Ball choice: ProV1x
  • FAbbFAbb  16345Members Posts: 16,345

@Golfer827 said:
    That little mound of grass in front of the green always does me in.

You mean the merkin?

I think we've all been foiled by the merkin at least a time or two before.

Posted:
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016  3072Members Posts: 3,072

Unfortunately, I will miss all of the shenanigans. I'll be in Maine for a wedding. Have fun everyone

Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12329Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,329

@gregh729 said:
    I am always right on 16. The tee box lines you up with the maple tree between 16 and 18

I've definitely been down in 18 fairway.

Posted:
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

Advertisement
  • aiyyeraiyyer  1746Members Posts: 1,746

Dom apparently plays WM a lot and has great insight on how to play some of the holes if you ask him. Depressing though as you find out he just thinks very differently and plays the classic “good miss” game. He also executes!
    Played a scramble event yesterday at Woodmore and our team shot 60 and the winning score was 55 with plenty of mulligans.
    Makes Sterling’s 59 even more impressive. One guy was a 4 handicap that was crazy good with putts and within 100 yards.

Posted:
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16027Members Posts: 16,027

@FAbb said:
    Also, WTF was Kuuuuuch doing in the bunker this past weekend? That was awful.

The blame can start with everyone through the years who complained about not being able to move loose impediments in a bunker. (these tend to overlap with people who want relief from "divots".)

Then, you can blame the officials who basically declared the entire waste area to be "loose impediments".

Then, you can blame, or thank, Kuch for pointing out the logical outcome of this rule change, which includes the language (roughly) "oh yeah, when you remove a loose impediment and you accidentally disturb the sand, that's fine." He violated the spirit of the rule without violating the language of the rule.

And, Shackleford points out, "let's hope this is the last time it happens". Well, yeah, until a guy is tied for the lead on 18 and can start removing loose impediments willy-nilly until his ball is essentially on a tee. If a player is allowed, under the rules of golf, to improve his lie, exactly when should he stop before it's perfect?

Side note : I'm not actually sure if this waste area would have been subject to normal bunker rules anyway, or if it would have been treated like waste areas like at Tobacco.

Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir
  • XHoop24XHoop24  1024Members Posts: 1,024

@TheCityGame said:

@FAbb said:
    Also, WTF was Kuuuuuch doing in the bunker this past weekend? That was awful.

The blame can start with everyone through the years who complained about not being able to move loose impediments in a bunker. (these tend to overlap with people who want relief from "divots".)

Then, you can blame the officials who basically declared the entire waste area to be "loose impediments".

Then, you can blame, or thank, Kuch for pointing out the logical outcome of this rule change, which includes the language (roughly) "oh yeah, when you remove a loose impediment and you accidentally disturb the sand, that's fine." He violated the spirit of the rule without violating the language of the rule.

And, Shackleford points out, "let's hope this is the last time it happens". Well, yeah, until a guy is tied for the lead on 18 and can start removing loose impediments willy-nilly until his ball is essentially on a tee. If a player is allowed, under the rules of golf, to improve his lie, exactly when should he stop before it's perfect?

Side note : I'm not actually sure if this waste area would have been subject to normal bunker rules anyway, or if it would have been treated like waste areas like at Tobacco.

Kuch gonna Kuch. I try not to get worry too much about how PGA pro's play, but I think this needs to be addressed immediately. They create rules and don't always know how its going to play out in the real world, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But the rule needs to be updated as soon as possible.

Edit: When I say updated maybe just back to how it was.

Posted:
    Post edited by XHoop24 on
    Srixon z785 9.5'
    TM RBZ Tour 3W 14.5'
    Ping G Hybrid - 18'
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
    Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
    Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

I'm gonna have to get me one of these imposter spiders, just so I can escape being labeled as playing a sully spider.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1791291/new-odyssey-stroke-lab-ten-putters-sept-2019/p1

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 1986Members Posts: 1,986

@FAbb said:
    I'm gonna have to get me one of these imposter spiders, just so I can escape being labeled as playing a sully spider for the 9 days I game it.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1791291/new-odyssey-stroke-lab-ten-putters-sept-2019/p1

Fixed.

Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster  15051Members Posts: 15,051

@FAbb said:
    I'm gonna have to get me one of these imposter spiders, just so I can escape being labeled as playing a sully spider.

Love how they're not even trying to make em look any different from the TMs. Not just Odyssey, but basically all the club makers. I know, this horse has been beaten so dead over the years.

Posted:
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83  15589Members Posts: 15,589

@FAbb said:

That’s terrible— just terrible.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ  *9.0 w/ UST Helium 6F4 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *15 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *18 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
    Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200
    Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
    #lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I think the odyssey version is better looking than the spider. I like the more angular lines to the shape. If the slant neck doesn't set up funky like on a lot of their slant neck mallets, there's a 100% chance I roll them as soon as they hit stores, and a significant chance I buy one to test on real greens.

Posted:
  • XHoop24XHoop24  1024Members Posts: 1,024

@FAbb said:
    I think the odyssey version is better looking than the spider. I like the more angular lines to the shape. If the slant neck doesn't set up funky like on a lot of their slant neck mallets, there's a 100% chance I roll them as soon as they hit stores, and a significant chance I buy one to test on real greens.

Remind me - what is the Fabb putter du jour?

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5'
    TM RBZ Tour 3W 14.5'
    Ping G Hybrid - 18'
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
    Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
    Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

Advertisement

Spider X. Navy blue, with the white alignment aid.

I've got an old Macgregor Bobby Grace M5K in the experiment stable. I always really like the roll on City's BG, so I picked one up on the 'bay to tinker with. Initial putting green testing was inconclusive.

Posted:
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83  15589Members Posts: 15,589

There’s a market for it (TM) has showed that.

We have stayed away from chasing TM and now starting to slide back down that path

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ  *9.0 w/ UST Helium 6F4 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *15 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *18 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
    Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200
    Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
    #lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche  11758Members Posts: 11,758

Late season putter experiment for me is a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11. It had the right weight, toe hang, and look for the price and I couldn't resist.

Posted:
    M5 9.0°, 757  TR
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11s
    Tour BX

• davechendavechen THDC  2020Members Posts: 2,020

Why so much love for spider-like putters? For me, if I can't pick up a ball with it, it's a no go.

Posted:
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche  11758Members Posts: 11,758

@davechen said:
    Why so much love for spider-like putters? For me, if I can't pick up a ball with it, it's a no go.

They frame the ball nicely and there are a ton of options to suit the user preference.

Posted:
    M5 9.0°, 757  TR
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11s
    Tour BX

Advertisement
  • thechief16thechief16 Hits it left and left of left  2561Members Posts: 2,561

I am so far in putter purgatory right now it's insane. Over my last 5 rounds I've used 4 different putters. And I'm not even putting that badly (except for one round). I'm just trying to find that perfect combination of look, feel, and performance. And I can't seem to find it right now. Performance-wise, I've putted well recently with an old TM Ghost blade centershaft. But it's a Ghost, ugly as ****, has no MOI, and has an old AGSI insert. I love the feel of my V-line Fang CH w/microhinge , but heads shuts about 15-20* when you sole it. No-bueno. So I bought an EXO 7 CS -- centershaft, moi, microhinge. But I can't get the ball on line with it (it may be the round oversize grip).

Posted:
    M5
    Steelhead
    Red
    Apex Pro Smoke '19
    SM6 52F
    MD4 58X
    IN-74
  • 2moreTerps2moreTerps  1615Members Posts: 1,615

stop. changing. putters. it's not the putter.

i started doing a little reflecting the past couple days. i've been annoyed with how i've played recently. i've just started trying stuff. and not fully engaging. I've hit some terrible shots when i wasn't commited. That said, you cannot, through discipline, just have a lower and lower handicap. you have to hit it straighter and farther and closer to the pin. you have to chip better. you have to putt better.

Molding the two together is really hard. It's felt like this was the first year I've done a good job of getting better at "driving range" shots and at shooting a score in tournaments. I played a lot of tournaments. I think I posted double digit T scores. I also signed up for a series of lessons. Not a quick fix. In fact just the opposite. I would take one small thing and work on it for a month or two. I took a lesson and then sort of tucked it away for two weeks because of competitive stuff i had coming up. I even negotiated 30 minute lessons instead of an hour to make sure that we kept it simple and concise.

I want to keep that up. I think I'm playing with some good players I don't know Saturday. Because I don't know them I'll definitely be more disciplined than when i'm with good players i do know. So it does count more as competitive golf even if it's not a legit tournament. And i'm taking a lesson friday. I want some eyes on the things I've worked on the past couple months and i want to talk about wedge shots and taking something off shots. I've been playing with different methods. That's death for me. I need to just pick a method and stick to it for 6 months.

Posted:
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 1986Members Posts: 1,986

@bayrat88 said:

@davechen said:

Customization THDC, customization. Buy a sully spider and install one of these bad boys!

Doesn't work well with the pin left in. So many variables at play for THDC!

Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2

Advertisement
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16027Members Posts: 16,027

The one thing Fabb hasn't tried is using the same putter for more than a month straight.
    The carousel is unquestionably detrimental to his putting.
    Complains about not having good feel on different speed greens. Maybe if the putter he was using had ever been used before on a fast green, it would be a different story.

USA basketball is trying to commemorate 9/11 by losing to France. France team is good, though. Rudy Gobert (The Stifle Tower) is destroying the US. We don't have anyone to match up with him. We've won 58 straight in international competition with NBA players. Down 4 late.

Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir

FTR, I haven't used a different putter than the Spider X on the course since 6/27*. I know the exact date, because I picked it up on my way down to VA for a practice round. I had one practice session with the Bobby Grace this past weekend, but otherwise 100% of my time on putting greens has been with the Spider X since that time as well.

I putted with the Spider X yesterday on the course. Slow green putting prowess was in effect. I rolled some putts in. I had a couple mega long range 2 putts. I wasn't hitting stuff with the tentative stroke.

*I should say I haven't used a different putter on the course on purpose. I had to use that putter from Bae's trunk when I played Endless in our match, because I left my putter at home like a dumb-dumb.

Posted:
  • 2moreTerps2moreTerps  1615Members Posts: 1,615

can you list the really good putters you know who change their putter every month? i'm not being sarcastic. it's an actual question

last week i was talking to a guy who i consider to be a very good putter. he's a better putter than i am. this guy changes clubs a lot and likes new stuff. he has used the same putter for more than 10 years.

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm not advocating that changing a lot is good lol. There's really no question I'd be better off sticking to a single putter indefinitely. Will I? Very unlikely.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file