2020 Honda Classic

flushem

I never said Fleetwood lost the tournament because of the guy yelling. I just mentioned how disrespectful the American crowds can be.

You really believe most players are on the PGA tour for the crowds? Come on man, it’s all about the $$$. If the European Tour had the same prize money, most players would never return to the PGA ever again.

Taylormade Stealth 9o - Even Flow Riptide CB 6.0 S

Srixon ZU65 17o 2i - Miyazaki Tour Issue

Ping G410 22o 4h - Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S

Mizuno MP4 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM8 50-56-60

Scotty Cameron GOLO S

Tommy setup for the right shot on 18 but his execution was way off. I really don't think there is much more to it than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the win next week. He finished T3 last year at the API despite a third round of 76.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Couldn’t believe the crowd noise worst I’ve ever heard. Total disgrace.

Fleetwood wasn’t trying to fade it he was aiming middle of the green with a draw the caddie said so.

the pga will have a problem if they don’t make players speak English. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Well I disagree with you a little bit here. Money aside what makes the PGA Tour more attractive is that the great majority of the schedule can be played within 3 time zones. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Euro Tour events on TV but the thing that makes them attractive to the viewer - it is a global tour and they play in some exotic locations - is what can make it unappealing to the player. A lot of very long flights at times with events in the Middle East, co santioned events in South Africa, etc... So guys like to make a base in the U.S. so in their down weeks its a reasonable travel home.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Most of the Asian guys (and girls on the LPGA) can’t speak English.

Remember the Skins Match in Japan last October? One of their USP’s was that the players were wearing mics. Can’t understand why they asked Hideki for this match, other than the fact he is Japanese. Absolutely no conversation with the other players and no caddie talk either. His presence was redundant.

Taylormade Stealth 9o - Even Flow Riptide CB 6.0 S

Srixon ZU65 17o 2i - Miyazaki Tour Issue

Ping G410 22o 4h - Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S

Mizuno MP4 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM8 50-56-60

Scotty Cameron GOLO S

Personally, I don't care if they speak english. If fact,

I don't care if they speak at all ; )

Take Jordan Spieth. Is there anything more annoying than his back and forth with his caddie for 2 minutes? Actually, sometimes, I wish the announcers did not speak either.

Not just golf, but any sport. I'm not watching to see them talk. Post round interview? Zzzzzzz.

I'd rather a guy speak no english like Masahiro Tanaka and be like,

FirmCluelessAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif

Than have the speaking aptitude of a Shakespearean trained thespian and throw meatballs ; )

• Like 1

Some of you folks, I wonder if you even play golf. Tommy's miss on 18 was unfortunate. But it happens, golf is hard. It was good drama. Did he choke? If so, that' show you do it. Make a good show of it. He was 1 back, he had to do something. Poor execution, it happens.

Like Im's approach. That was a choke too, when he laid the sod over a basic wedge from a perfect lie. He just had 1 stroke insurance and pulled it back together like a champ to close it out.

It was a great finish to watch on TV.

As for the course, I've played it. It's a nightmare. Not fun.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I know this may sound harsh for somebody, but I’m just wondering what is behind that for example Matsuyama doesn’t speak English at all? Is that some cultural thing, because I’m from Europe and I just don’t get it. If you have been living in a country what 6-7 years, you don’t even give simple interviews without interpreter. I know Hideki is shy by nature, but it just makes you feel so much cosy, when you learn even a little bit the language so you can communicate with people. And that is the way you learn even more and it comes easier. I remember Rory said something in this Skins game in October that Hideki don’t speak the language so they couldn’t communicate that much. You feel isolated for sure.

That thing just came to my mind last night when Im won, and gave the interview with his caddy as interpreter and that’s fine, I don’t know how long he has been living in the states, and propably will speak english in the near future. It would be nice to know these guys a little bit better what kind of people they are, because they both seems to be nice guys, but it just dont come over, because they don’t say even few phrases.

The main thing is that they speak golf with their clubs, but it just helps your life overall so much and even the golf game, when you feel as much home as possible in a foreign country. Say few phrases there and there, it comes easier that way. If I’m living for example in Japan, I would makes sure I can say even little things in Japanese and understand something what people are talking around me in a few years. It also shows that you appreciate those people. That’s why it is just bizarre Hideki doesn’t speak english a little bit, and maybe that’s the final step for him so he can reach his whole potential. And I’m not saying this particularly for Im, because he has not been living in states that long obviously.

And I’m huge fan of these guys because they play so good, but that language thing just came to my mind yesterday.

Like I said, Hideki don’t have to talk or communicate with English because other people. It’s because it makes Hideki feel more comfortable and then he would not feel so much isolated with people and finally when he is more comfortable, he plays naturally even better golf. :)

And Japanese is hard to learn I know, but if I’m going to work to Japan, Korea or Italy for more than a year, and It would make my working easier, I would even try to learn some basics and few phrases that I can used that I need in that potential daily life.

Unlike most Japanese folks I know, who went to school, studied English here or abroadetc. I have a very strong feeling that Hideki's had his hands full learning to compete at the highest levels in golf. Doesn't leave a lot of time for English lessons.

• Like 1

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

And he probably does. Im here he can say, "where is the bathroom" and "I'll have a quarter pounder meal"

But, proficiency in English for a Japanese speaker is nothing like that. Think about it. The languages are nothing alike. You can't just pick it up talking to people. He would have take hundreds of hours of classes.

And what's the point of learning a few phrases and doing an interview in English.

They would as him, "Hideki, what do you think of the golf course".

If he learned some phrases he might say," I like it, It's very good and I'm looking forward to playing"

But, isn't it better if , via an interpreter, he can say, "well, I'm very impressed with course condidtions. The fairways are narrow but fair and reward a well executed risky shot. Bunker placement is tricky and the greens are like marble but the pin placements are fair.

And consider this. We all took 4 years of high school Spanish or French but can't even order a taco or crepe in the respective countries ; )

The point is learning few phrases and say even something little is that this is the way you learn more and more. If you never expose yourself and take those baby steps, you never going to learn more. It feels terrible at first and you don’t wanna look fool, I know for experience because I used to be so bad in english when I was abroad and speaking was so hard, but when you take those first steps, you will learn so much quicker. And you don’t learn talking with foreign language if you never talk using that. And I’m not attacking for Hideki with this language thing, I’m just wondering because I know it’s make life so much harder, if you live your life and can’t speak the language at all. When Rory says he can’t talk with Hideki because language barrier, I can see that quite problematic and isolating.

I don't think anyone in golf wants the Ryder Cup ruined by crowds like they had at Kiawah in '91 or Brookline in 99 or worst of all Medinah in 2012 (the abuse of the recently passed Seve Ballesteros was perhaps the most disgusting thing have heard on a golf course during a professional tournament). Only people who don;t really understand the game want that kind of cra*p.

There is nothing wrong with partisan crowds, but that can not extend to shouting in players backswings or whilst they are over putts or verbally abusing players.

I am hoping that the US crowds are loud and partisan, but fair. That will be all OK - in fact good. It's about time the American crowds stopped disgracing the game.

Take note of the Solheim Cup crowd last year - wonderful. Or, in fact, any Ryder Cup held in Europe.

your statement was true decades ago in 90s. Even KJ Choi now speaks in English though his response is sometimes pretty out of tangent from questions.

S Im is young enough to pick up English pretty soon like other renown Korean LPGA players like Seri Pak and Inbee Park. For now, his caddie is fluent both in Korean and English; translation was pretty good.

The guy did not yell in his backswing - thats probably why he later said he didnt hear anything like that. The TV/shotlink delays the video a millisecond or so - to the point where thats what it sounded like on the broadcast.

But there has been fan video posted on Twitter that clearly shows it was after impact.

Again - good reason that TF said he didnt hear anyone yell in his backswing - because they didnt.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

But - personally I hate what the last few holes of the Honda have become. They said in the early coverage on Saturday that they - and I'm pretty sure it was the sponsors being referred to - were happy it had started to take on the "event" feel of 16/Waste Management. No thanks, that drunken garbage is enough for me once a year.

And yes I realize those kind of comments probably earn the (OldManYellsAtCloud.GIF)

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

You be the judge

Fan video

Broadcast

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

You keep repeating basically the same things, which so far as I can work out is you think Hideki would feel better if he felt the way you feel about it?

He may be perfectly comfortable with where he's at and how things work.

Not saying you are wrong, but you really don't know how he feels or how his life would be or wouldn't be better if he were more conversant in English.

Did they add the sound effect of club hitting ball because that’s in sync on broadcast? On fan vid you hear impact/yell and on broadcast it’s yell/impact. I tend to believe the broadcast as in when I FaceTime my wife with my phone the audio is always delayed. Either way, just don’t yell stupid crap ever.