It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

that is pretty drastic isnt it? glad it worked out for you. im going from steelfiber 110s to 120x ss1x.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

diff topic, but what is prototype DP in retail name?

DP is the proto to the 120. Same shaft, just the decal is different.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

would u say 120x compares to 5.5

I would say closer to a 6.0 in terms of flex but they feel completely different so it's really hard to compare. Mark probably has better charts with actual information, just based on ball flight and how the shaft reacts for me. I am steep and am a digger, 7 iron SS around 98. 120 TX could have been a better fit for me than the 120X I had, but 130X performs for me and I love the feel during the transition. Just super smooth.

Does anybody have any information on the Zelos 7 vs. the 750GH?

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

For all of you who say 120x play soft to flex, just remember that stenson play the 120x and not the 120tx. They feel soft they do not play soft

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 
Ping G430 Max w/ synergy green 80tx
Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
Callaway TCB w/ DART V 120x
Titleist SM8 50/56  W/ LAgolf

Titleist wedgeworks 60T grind
Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''
Swing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg[/url] (Driver FV)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4[/url] (DTL)

For all of you who say 120x play soft to flex, just remember that stenson play the 120x and not the 120tx. They feel soft they do not play soft

What is exactly is feel soft vs play soft?

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

whats the difference between 120x and 120tx

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

Flippant post

The 120TX is made exclusively for wrx tour players. And the 120X is made for the mortals like Stenson, Sullivan, Choi etc.

@therealping

In another thread, someone directly asked Nippon and was told the TX is approximately 11 cycles stiffer than the X. I'd guess the bottom section was also somewhat stiffer.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread, such as I remember, I posted a link to the original discussion (also quoted it). If you'd like, I can use search to dig it up again. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

are we wrx tour players?

What is exactly is feel soft vs play soft?

the butt (under your hand) of the shaft is soft so it feel soft but the tip is very stiff.... the shaft feel soft but do not play soft due to very stiff tip.

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 

Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''
Swing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg[/url] (Driver FV)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4[/url] (DTL)

I played the 120TX for a two years before switching to PX LZ 6.5 HS. the 120tx feel buttery soft not loose. Modus 120 is my shaft to go right now... and like a lot of wrxer I tried way too many shaft

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 

Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''

Flippant post

The 120TX is made exclusively for wrx tour players. And the 120X is made for the mortals like Stenson, Sullivan, Choi etc.

Ive seen at least 3 other pro's gaming the TX + tony finau, berndt weisberger (who is a wizard with his irons). I totally understand your point that X is playable for almost anybody and plenty stiff. However, I'd bet they hand select each shaft they want and they tend to be the stiffer of the bunch in terms of cycles. So they could be closer to a TX than us mere mortals get access to with the regular X.

Completely agree haha, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that swings like him :)

Agree, but his ball flight is in the heavens. Saw it at Baltusrol this year and its consistently the highest Ive ever seen for a top 10 player. For him it works, just like the other pro's. Because of their perfect attack angles, no casting, no flipping.

For many high SS players, there are bad habits involved so they cover it up with a shaft that keeps the ball flight down. So its not always an argument of comparing those guys to pro's because PGA guys could keep a R300 below the treeline if they want. Some regular guys can balloon a PX 7.0. Its a tough subject.

I tried both the 120s and 120x & for me the x was better and in no way do I swing as fast as Stenson. My ss w driver is 100 mph. The s was not as controllable for me as the x.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I tried both the 120s and 120x & for me the x was better and in no way do I swing as fast as Stenson. My ss w driver is 100 mph. The s was not as controllable for me as the x.

you dont swing like stensons daughter. lol

Completely agree haha, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that swings like him :)

Agree, but his ball flight is in the heavens. Saw it at Baltusrol this year and its consistently the highest Ive ever seen for a top 10 player. For him it works, just like the other pro's. Because of their perfect attack angles, no casting, no flipping.

For many high SS players, there are bad habits involved so they cover it up a shaft that keeps the ball flight down. So its not always an argument of comparing those guys to pro's because PGA guys could keep a R300 below the treeline if they want. Some regular guys can balloon a PX 7.0. Its a tough subject.

Stenson does hit it high; as does Day, Kuch and others.

I'm surprised he was able to have such success on a links course with such a high ball flight. Think I'm gonna rewatch some of those highlights and see just how much if any he tried to flight the ball.

@therealping

For many high SS players, there are bad habits involved so they cover it up a shaft that keeps the ball flight down. So its not always an argument of comparing those guys to pro's because PGA guys could keep a R300 below the treeline if they want. Some regular guys can balloon a PX 7.0. Its a tough subject.

I'm surprised he was able to have such success on a links course with such a high ball flight. Think I'm gonna rewatch some of those highlights and see just how much if any he tried to flight the ball.

Yeah dude. I actually read in a golf mag years ago (sorry I can't exactly reference it)...but when he kind of rebuilt his swing with Cowen and found his game, they decided he was just swing his natural flight into the wind and take more club. No more trying to flight anything super low. I remember the Open quite well, it was 95% an aerial attack.

The difference is the shaft is good enough to keep his spin down(I rarely see him backspin an iron into the green). High launch low spin.. sound good to me. I had mid/high launch with it and Still getting low spin. No 10 feet of back spin, like I had with the 130.

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 

Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''

Yeah dude. I actually read in a golf mag years ago (sorry I can't exactly reference it)...but when he kind of rebuilt his swing with Cowen and found his game, they decided he was just swing his natural flight into the wind and take more club. No more trying to flight anything super low. I remember the Open quite well, it was 95% an aerial attack.

It's crazy how there really aren't any highlights of that monumental win. I did find a ridiculous video on a conspiracy theory on they used magnets to rig the win for him.

@therealping

I currently play 120S in my wedges and I am not sure if I like that approach too much playing 120X in my irons.

I could go for 120X but I see NS makes wedge shafts. Any feedback on how those play compared to my 120S/120X?

How does the s feel in the wedges? A lot of players prefer softer in their wedges to induce better feel on feel shots. I believe it was Butch who convinced Tiger to play softer shafts in his wedges than in his irons.

@therealping

The difference is the shaft is good enough to keep his spin down(I rarely see him backspin an iron into the green). High launch low spin.. sound good to me. I had mid/high launch with it and Still getting low spin. No 10 feet of back spin, like I had with the 130.

I'm seeing high launch with less spin on my experiential trial with the 120 as well. I get mid-high launch with too much spin with the 125s. If I can get accustom to the feel of the 120, I'd have a newer gamer shaft.

I hit hundreds of balls dialing them in on the range, so much so that I still can't grip a club properly due to the blisters. It's always difficult to transition that feel to the course though.

*pardon the excessive posts, full editor doesn't perform well on phone.

@therealping

Thought stenson played st proto aka 105?

I still haven't been able to pull the tigger on 120 or 130, need some more time with both and frankly nervous to change. I hit all 18 greens for the first time a few days ago with super peening oranges, I would still like a little higher launch, height, or spin.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

120 profiles pretty similar to the spo but in my hands they couldn't be more different. I did have to go back to a lil higher spin ball this year but still in love with spo a year later and did not like the 120 at all.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

120 profiles pretty similar to the spo but in my hands they couldn't be more different. I did have to go back to a lil higher spin ball this year but still in love with spo a year later and did not like the 120 at all.

I have a set just been hesitant to put them in. Going in a different set, not breaking up the gamers yet. My swing is very much like Garcias, inside out, timing is important, rather than hit the push cut like he does I'm always shut to path afraid of the right side. That coupled with wanting more height has me thinking 130 might be better.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I have a set just been hesitant to put them in. Going in a different set, not breaking up the gamers yet. My swing is very much like Garcias, inside out, timing is important, rather than hit the push cut like he does I'm always shut to path afraid of the right side. That coupled with wanting more height has me thinking 130 might be better.

I would agree with 130 being more what you are looking for on paper. They would also be where I would go if I was looking for some more height.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black