2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Wedge specific. I'm all set though. Was just fit into PX 6.0. Added ~ a club length from my CTLs and felt awesome. Sticking with the 125 wedge shafts in my 54 and 58.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Probably answered but will the 105 slot between c taper and kbs tour in performance as it does with 120/130 modus?

105 is in between CTaper Lite and KBS Tour IMO. 125 is closer to KBS Tour meets DG but I suppose could be where CTaper 130 meets KBS Tour but would be more KBS tour than CTaper. In my experience, KBS Tour was mid/high launch and mid/high spin. Tour125 is more Mid-launch and mid spin.

Made a few swing changes....modus 105 gives me Ctaper like performance in a less jarring package...the Ctaper shaft works better than kbs tour for me but the 105 gives me the best of both worlds.

I've had two rounds with modus 130x shafts in my three wedges to match my irons. I was playing the stock DG wedge shaft in my T7 wedges. I've been wanting to do this for a bit but prior, I was missing shoft high and right most of the time. I felt the same as I did before switching my iron shafts out that it probably wasn't the best fit.

Got my three wedges fit with 130 x shafts and raised the SW on all 3 wedges.

52 - Plays 35.5' - D4 SW

56 - 35.25 - D5

60 - 25.25 - D5

I also had the guy put a couple extra wraps of tape so the grip is just inder a midsize grip. So far I have to say I really like the changes. The flight has been a bit lower instead of the moon balls I was accustomed to. It seems like with the lower flight I'm getting better spin. I'm really happy with the heavier swing weight as well. I had to add a 2 inch strip of lead tape to my PW to make it closer in feel to the other wedges. I feel way more accurate on shots now and if I do miss, I have a better understanding of what I did wrong vs not knowing if it was the shaft or not executing.

Really happy with this setup right now.

I am looking at swapping to the 105 but am having a hard time figuring out flex... I have previously played PX 6.0 soft stepped which seemed perfect. Should i put the 105 s straight in or go to 105 x and soft step it. Thanks!

I would probably have you try 105S. PX 6.0-6.4 was my recommendation for 105S hadstepped, so if you played 6.0 softstepped then I'd try the 105S straight in. If you are wanting the lighter weight of 105S over 105X perfect. If you want 114g+ then I'd maybe try 105X double-soft-stepped. But I think 105 S straight in is the best match.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Well, I think my Modus 130Stiff (HS 1x) failed. I tried to get along with the shafts, but alas, they are just a bit too oddly weighted for me. They are very butt heavy and the softer tip made my shots seem a bit too spinny. I should have had the swing weights checked, but the overall balance of each club was just a bit too unfamiliar to me. For now, I'm leaving them in my wedges though....I added some lead tape to the heads and I think I'm ok with them thus far.

I think I will stick with C-Tapers from now on. The Modus are silly smooth though, which I found myself liking and disliking. I'm used to more feedback through the hitting zone and they were a bit too buttery for me.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Well, I think my Modus 130Stiff (HS 1x) failed. I tried to get along with the shafts, but alas, they are just a bit too oddly weighted for me. They are very butt heavy and the softer tip made my shots seem a bit too spinny. I should have had the swing weights checked, but the overall balance of each club was just a bit too unfamiliar to me. For now, I'm leaving them in my wedges though....I added some lead tape to the heads and I think I'm ok with them thus far.

I think I will stick with C-Tapers from now on. The Modus are silly smooth though, which I found myself liking and disliking. I'm used to more feedback through the hitting zone and they were a bit too buttery for me.

Any chance they played atleast 1/2" over standard? If so I have a buddy looking for some after playing mine.

For a while now I've been wanting to try out the Modus 105 shafts. Went from KBS Tour V110 back to my Steelfiber i95 but I started to notice that I was launching the ball really high with the SF shafts and was losing a bit of distance. Fast forward to last week and I decided to go back to Srixon after tinkering away from the brand for a few months. Picked up a set of 765s with Modus 105 Stiff shafts and WOW. I've never really played around with Nippon shafts much but dang are these fantastic shafts. I've seen a considerable improvement in dispersion, distance and trajectory and the feel is just incredible. Played my first round with them last week and carded an 80 with 3 penalties (those were all from bonehead mistakes off the tee). I was peppering pins like never before and had 6 looks at birdie inside 10 feet (sadly only converted 2). These are firmly in the bag!

I could not remember if you had a chance to run the 125's.....

I have 0 regrets, do not miss the Taper's one bit.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

No, in hindsight, prob should have gone 125s.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I am looking at swapping to the 105 but am having a hard time figuring out flex... I have previously played PX 6.0 soft stepped which seemed perfect. Should i put the 105 s straight in or go to 105 x and soft step it. Thanks!

I would probably have you try 105S. PX 6.0-6.4 was my recommendation for 105S hadstepped, so if you played 6.0 softstepped then I'd try the 105S straight in. If you are wanting the lighter weight of 105S over 105X perfect. If you want 114g+ then I'd maybe try 105X double-soft-stepped. But I think 105 S straight in is the best match.

Is am playing the 105x in my irons and am looking to put Nippons in my wedges too. Any suggestions on which shaft would be a good starting point? My PW is currently D4 and I would like to keep same weight feel across the wedges too. Should I look at the 125?

No, in hindsight, prob should have gone 125s.

Yeah, Ctapers, to 125 would have been my suggestion, especially with that comment about feeling the loading zone. 125X ssx1 is probably best bet after the spin comment on 130's. 120 & 130 are love hate. 125 is very user friendly.

Nippons are the best. I play the 120s and have a set of uncut SPBs. Probably going to sell those though. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

SPB will feel MUCH heavier to you IMO. Especially in your hands/grip/handle area. If you love love love S400 maybe try the SPB, otherwise I'd just ditch them. 125 is a SPB lite so you can always try those too for a closer weight change with similar profile as SPB.

OK, an update. I have had my clubs for about 10 days. Couldn't play last weekend, had a few ranges sessions and a couple of after work 9s, but played a full 18 yesterday and the day before.

I must say, at first I worried that I had made a terrible mistake...... I seemed to be hitting them long, but they felt, just odd, and I was pulling them, and mishitting quite a few. But I trusted what markheardjr said it would take a few rounds to work out the feel of the 120s, In about my third range session, something started to click. Also, I think I was trying to overpower them thinking with an X flex I really needed to go after them, but I actually think it is the opposite with these, at least for me. Maybe I have been overswinging all year, my iron play has not been up to my standards this year anyway. But the past two days, had the best two rounds of the year, and scored my lowest 18 in about 18 months yesterday. Both days hit 13 GIRs, and yesterday I would say I had 10 approaches that were within 15 feet, actually putting reasonable well, birdied the last 5 holes and shot 69.

Playing in a scramble this afternoon, I hope I don't start overswinging again..... I am very very encouraged....

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

OK, an update. I have had my clubs for about 10 days. Couldn't play last weekend, had a few ranges sessions and a couple of after work 9s, but played a full 18 yesterday and the day before.

I must say, at first I worried that I had made a terrible mistake...... I seemed to be hitting them long, but they felt, just odd, and I was pulling them, and mishitting quite a few. But I trusted what markheardjr said it would take a few rounds to work out the feel of the 120s, In about my third range session, something started to click. Also, I think I was trying to overpower them thinking with an X flex I really needed to go after them, but I actually think it is the opposite with these, at least for me. Maybe I have been overswinging all year, my iron play has not been up to my standards this year anyway. But the past two days, had the best two rounds of the year, and scored my lowest 18 in about 18 months yesterday. Both days hit 13 GIRs, and yesterday I would say I had 10 approaches that were within 15 feet, actually putting reasonable well, birdied the last 5 holes and shot 69.

Playing in a scramble this afternoon, I hope I don't start overswinging again..... I am very very encouraged....

Sounds like a good fit! I very highly recommend with 120's and 130's you give them a little break in period. 120's you can't overpower IMO you'll start hitting hosel rockets or cold tops if you start whipping that soft butt section down hard in the transition. Good luck with the scramble. Hope the good vibes keep flowing.

I have dynamic gold pros in my j15 cbs, which are ok, do you guys think I would like the 125's. I see a pretty good deal on the bay and am just curious. I also like the wedge 115 shaft I have in my rtx's Thanks.

Rogue ST ls 9 Ventus Blue tr stiff
Callaway Mavrik 15 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
In search of Hybrid
Callaway apex 21 apex pro combo set 4-aw  $ taper stiff
Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60Tour V stiff
King Agera

I have dynamic gold pros in my j15 cbs, which are ok, do you guys think I would like the 125's. I see a pretty good deal on the bay and am just curious. I also like the wedge 115 shaft I have in my rtx's Thanks.

Geez, i had that setup (DG Pros and CBs) and my God I hated those shafts in the lower mid and short irons. I actually lived the 4 iron shaft, but thats it.

If you are talking S300/X100, then I would say yes.

I came from 130x C-Taper and absolutely love the 125.

I played S300 previous to c-taper

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I'm 45 years old, 9 handicap and have had back and hand issues. I have used DG S300, PX LZ5.5 and PX 6.0 SS 1x in my irons. My swing is quite shallow and I scuff the grass more so than take a divot. My iron and wedge game and putting is where my game normally shines. Driving the ball is the weakest part of my game. I recently tried Nippon shafts for the first time on a whim. I demo'd The Modus 120 Stiff and 105 Stiff. Within a few swings I fell deeply in love with their performance and silky smooth feel! Here are my numbers hitting off a mat on Trackman;

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6 iron (27°)

Taylormade TP5x golf ball

Nippon Modus3 120 Stiff

Club Head Speed: 79.8 mph

Ball Speed: 115.6 mph

Launch Angle: 19.6°

Spin: 4309 rpm

Peak: 34 yards

Descent Angle: 46°

Carry: 174 yards

Offline: 5 yards

Nippon Modus3 105 Stiff

Club Head Speed: 79.3 mph

Ball Speed: 114.9 mph

Launch Angle: 18.4°

Spin: 4001 rpm

Peak: 31 yards

Descent Angle: 44°

Offline: 2 yards

I prefer the velvety smooth load and soft feel of the 120 ever so slightly over the 105. Is the peak height of 34 yards on the 120's something I should be concerned about since I live in a windy part of British Columbia? Would hard stepping the 120's destroy their soft feel? Or is going with the 105 the best thing to do?

I honestly don't think I can lose with either shaft!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm 45 years old, 9 handicap and have had back and hand issues. I have used DG S300, PX LZ5.5 and PX 6.0 SS 1x in my irons. My swing is quite shallow and I scuff the grass more so than take a divot. My iron and wedge game and putting is where my game normally shines. Driving the ball is the weakest part of my game. I recently tried Nippon shafts for the first time on a whim. I demo'd The Modus 120 Stiff and 105 Stiff. Within a few swings I fell deeply in love with their performance and silky smooth feel! Here are my numbers hitting off a mat on Trackman;

Nippon Modus3 120 Stiff

Nippon Modus3 105 Stiff

I prefer the velvety smooth load and soft feel of the 120 ever so slightly over the 105. Is the peak height of 34 yards on the 120's something I should be concerned about since I live in a windy part of British Columbia? Would hard stepping the 120's destroy their soft feel? Or is going with the 105 the best thing to do?

Nice consolidated info that you've provided! I don't think the peak height of the120s would be an issue with spin numbers that low. You may enjoy that height when it comes to holding greens, but I'm no expert. Also, the height is a result of the launch angle which may be an indicator of either the lofts/club heads or contact helping the ball get into the air rather than compressing.

I'd have a 120 installed and take it to the course.

@therealping

Need some help. So I am going to order Srixon irons but the shafts I was originally going to try (Project X LZ 6.5) are backordered for a month. Therefore, may try some Nippons if they are in stock. I've played X100s for the last 10 years or so. Perform fine, but sometimes balloon and can be a bit harsh. I hit the ball high and probably have an earlier release.

I have done two seperate fittings. In one I was fit for X100s again (KBS Tours and C-Taper similar performance). In another I was fit for the Project X LZs. Was going to go with the LZ's just to try something different that was hopefully a bit less harsh than the X100s can be.

Based on that, which Nippons would be a good fit? I was thinking maybe the 125 or 120?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

Nippon Modus3 120 Stiff

Nippon Modus3 105 Stiff

Nice consolidated info that you've provided! I don't think the peak height of the120s would be an issue with spin numbers that low. You may enjoy that height when it comes to holding greens, but I'm no expert. Also, the height is a result of the launch angle which may be an indicator of either the lofts/club heads or contact helping the ball get into the air rather than compressing.

I'd have a 120 installed and take it to the course.

I have a shallow swing that results in a high flight with low-ish spin. I know off the mat is going to knock some spin off the ball and add a smidgen of launch but the numbers I got are in the ballpark of what I typically see no matter which shaft goes in the club head. The TP5x ball may not be the right ball for my game however when I use the TP5 spin only increases a couple hundred RPM so I stick with the "feel" like better.

I'm waiting on my Mizuno clubs with Nippon shafts as we speak. Should arrive on Friday!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Need some help. So I am going to order Srixon irons but the shafts I was originally going to try (Project X LZ 6.5) are backordered for a month. Therefore, may try some Nippons if they are in stock. I've played X100s for the last 10 years or so. Perform fine, but sometimes balloon and can be a bit harsh. I hit the ball high and probably have an earlier release.

I have done two seperate fittings. In one I was fit for X100s again (KBS Tours and C-Taper similar performance). In another I was fit for the Project X LZs. Was going to go with the LZ's just to try something different that was hopefully a bit less harsh than the X100s can be.

Based on that, which Nippons would be a good fit? I was thinking maybe the 125 or 120?

The 125's are the closest to the px lz. I felt like the 125's spun a tad bit less so that might be exactly what you are looking for. The px Lz had a tendency to spin too much and balloon a touch on me.

Has anyone directly compared the Project X LZ's to the Nippon 120 or 125? How does dispersion compare?

Also, between the 120 and 125 is there any noticeable difference in dispersion?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

The 125's are the closest to the px lz. I felt like the 125's spun a tad bit less so that might be exactly what you are looking for. The px Lz had a tendency to spin too much and balloon a touch on me.

Agreed, had the LZ 6.5 in my 900Tour set, similar issues, moved to 900F with Modus 125, fantastic.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x