2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

1 hour ago, hungyellow said:

I am in a similar situation as you. I am on my last value pack dozen I order pretty pandemic and now with Snell limiting the order of the MTB-X, I am looking at alternatives and I have narrowed it to either Maxfli Tour balls or the Vice Pro balls. Still looking at the difference between the versions for each brand to determine which one to go with. I see myself going back to Snell after they allow value pack orders again, until then time to find a new ball for me after this last dozen. My driver swing speed is around 100 so if anyone has recommendations aside from what the chart numbers say posted earlier and other comments between the Maxfli Tour, Maxfli Tour X, Vice Pro, and Vice Pro Plus I would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

The Pro Plus would be most similar Vice ball to the MTB-X. I have not tested the Maxfli balls but they get great reviews from many here. According to the robotic test that was done last year they perform very similar. Snell will fly a touch lower off the tee but total distance between them is a yard or two at most. The Vice will tend to fly a touch higher but spin will be about the same. The MTB-X will spin a touch more inside 70yds. The Vice will feel a little softer.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The Pro Plus would be most similar Vice ball to the MTB-X. I have not tested the Maxfli balls but they get great reviews from many here. According to the robotic test that was done last year they perform very similar. Snell will fly a touch lower off the tee but total distance between them is a yard or two at most. The Vice will tend to fly a touch higher but spin will be about the same. The MTB-X will spin a touch more inside 70yds. The Vice will feel a little softer.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to give each a try starting with the pro plus. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hungyellow said:

I am in a similar situation as you. I am on my last value pack dozen I order pretty pandemic and now with Snell limiting the order of the MTB-X, I am looking at alternatives and I have narrowed it to either Maxfli Tour balls or the Vice Pro balls. Still looking at the difference between the versions for each brand to determine which one to go with. I see myself going back to Snell after they allow value pack orders again, until then time to find a new ball for me after this last dozen. My driver swing speed is around 100 so if anyone has recommendations aside from what the chart numbers say posted earlier and other comments between the Maxfli Tour, Maxfli Tour X, Vice Pro, and Vice Pro Plus I would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

I ended up going with the Maxfli Tours. They seem to be almost the same performance wise as the Vice Pro and Snell MTB Black not to mention how well they were scored by MGS. The 48 pack is $104 right now plus I signed up for text alerts and got a $20 off code so it was a no brainer. I’ve only got 9 holes in with them but so far so good.

After thinking about it more, it seems like it would make more sense for Snell to continue to offer the value packs. I think I would rather have the option to order the higher counts and them be out of stock sometimes than not being able to take advantage of the value. There’s just no reason to buy the Snell over the many other options at that price point, the advantage goes away at that point. 

Edited by JCitW6855
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, hungyellow said:

I am in a similar situation as you. I am on my last value pack dozen I order pre pandemic and now with Snell limiting the order of the MTB-X, I am looking at alternatives and I have narrowed it to either Maxfli Tour balls or the Vice Pro balls. Still looking at the difference between the versions for each brand to determine which one to go with. I see myself going back to Snell after they allow value pack orders again, until then time to find a new ball for me after this last dozen. My driver swing speed is around 100 so if anyone has recommendations aside from what the chart numbers say posted earlier and other comments between the Maxfli Tour, Maxfli Tour X, Vice Pro, and Vice Pro Plus I would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

The MTB-X is one of my gamers and it's just as good as any of the other tour balls on the market IMO.  The supply chain issue with Snell from time to time is a bummer though.  I got a sleeve of Pro Plus to try late winter and they are really good and would be the alternative.  Launch is about the same, but the Pro Plus spun less for me.  As a result, I got more carry distance with my irons with the Pro Plus, which makes it an even better wind ball than the MTB-X IMO.  The flip side is that my distance control was erratic with the Pro Plus.  I might just switch to the Pro Plus after I'm done with the few boxes of MTB-X. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, JCitW6855 said:

I ended up going with the Maxfli Tours. They seem to be almost the same performance wise as the Vice Pro and Snell MTB Black not to mention how well they were scored by MGS. The 48 pack is $104 right now plus I signed up for text alerts and got a $20 off code so it was a no brainer. I’ve only got 9 holes in with them but so far so good.

After thinking about it more, it seems like it would make more sense for Snell to continue to offer the value packs. I think I would rather have the option to order the higher counts and them be out of stock sometimes than not being able to take advantage of the value. There’s just no reason to buy the Snell over the many other options at that price point, the advantage goes away at that point. 

I ended getting 4 dozen Maxfli Tour X balls for just over $90 out the door using the $20 off$ $100 online ar DSG. Couldn't pass up that deal while I had the chance. 

• Like 1

Well I just placed an order for 5 boxes of the Vice balls. I really like the Snells but with a 2 box limit and $15 shipping the value just wasn't there. I had played Vice balls in the past and moved onto Snell mainly because of durability issues. I hear the Vice are better now so we will see.

edit: The shipping for 5 doz Vice balls was only $6.95 for me and with a Free Shipping Promotion (which 90% of the time does not apply to Hawaii - but this time it does) shipping was free 🙂

Edited by CUBuffaloes
  • Like 3

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

20 minutes ago, CUBuffaloes said:

Well I just placed an order for 5 boxes of the Vice balls. I really like the Snells but with a 2 box limit and $15 shipping the value just wasn't there. I had played Vice balls in the past and moved onto Snell mainly because of durability issues. I hear the Vice are better now so we will see.

edit: The shipping for 5 doz Vice balls was only $6.95 for me and with a Free Shipping Promotion (which 90% of the time does not apply to Hawaii - but this time it does) shipping was free 🙂

I disagree. Snell still feels better (to me at least) and I have Snell, Pro and Pro+. Snell performed better as well in last year's MGS ball test iirc?

17 minutes ago, autronicdsm said:

I disagree. Snell still feels better (to me at least) and I have Snell, Pro and Pro+. Snell performed better as well in last year's MGS ball test iirc?

I wouldn’t say any ball outperformed the other. Very similar results but Snell and Vice are really good golf balls.

552F0270-D799-4220-A979-351B6F25955E.jpeg

24315043-3612-42A2-9C61-508E68EAF2EC.jpeg

5A0DD2F2-DC89-4462-BAE1-593B1D51B604.jpeg

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I bought 2 of the Snell trial packs. A dozen each of the MTB Black and the MTB-X.

I don't hit the ball very far, so I couldn't tell much difference in distance between the balls.   I "sensed" that the Snells were shorter than ProV1, but I couldn't prove this.

The Black felt very light when I hit it.   The MTB-X felt very clicky.

For a short hitter, I don't think it matters all that much.

1 hour ago, autronicdsm said:

What is it that you disagree with? My preference is Snell MTB-Black and would love to game them but at $41.50 a box versus Vice  Pros at $29 a box, I think that  Vice is a better value.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

GW - Wilson Staff CB

20 hours ago, CUBuffaloes said:

What is it that you disagree with? My preference is Snell MTB-Black and would love to game them but at $41.50 a box versus Vice  Pros at $29 a box, I think that  Vice is a better value.

No it's not, you're just cheap.

I also said that Snell feels better than Vice, and that to me has a lot of value.

Edited by autronicdsm
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, autronicdsm said:

I also said that Snell feels better than Vice, and that to me has a lot of value.

Okay, if that's what you think. I agree that Snell feels better but at that price I like the Pro V1 better. It's all about personal preferences and I have no problem putting my money where it provides the best value for me. Note the Autoflex shaft in my driver and the LAGP shaft in my putter for example. 

Thanks for your opinion. I won't say I "disagree" with it or call you names. It just happens to differ from mine.

Edited by CUBuffaloes
grammatical errors
  • Like 1

GW - Wilson Staff CB

This is my opinion

- I am 71 y/o 7 hdcp whose driver swing speed has dropped from 101 mph to 86-88 mph in past 10 years

- In last year's MGS testing, it showed at my swing speed there was a total difference of 7 yds amongst Bridgestone/Snell/Titleist/Callaway premium models

- My actual field testing showed Snell MTB-X to be the most consistent ball for me so I stopped alternating MTB-x/ Tour B RX/ ProV1

- This winter I discovered Ballnamic (Ping's agnostic ball fitting tool) and spent $39 to find out the recommendations

Ballnamic allows 5 different scenarios to be assessed; 3 balls showed in each of my 'top 5 balls for each scenario' : Callaway CSX 94% match; Snell 90-92% match; Maxfli Tour X 88-92.5% match. 

- Field testing amongst these to date has eliminated Maxfli Tour X (other two were always 5-10 yds longer with driver)

- At this point in time - the MTB-X and CSX perform the same for me; I cannot tell the difference between the two. Testing continues, but at this stage in life the judgment may be as simple as $35/dozen DIRECT from Snell vs $48/doz for Callaway everywhere.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, autronicdsm said:

Time for you to leave now.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

8 hours ago, flushem said:

that was then and this is now.  Current Ebay prices about the same.

I'm never surprised when random sellers on Amazon or Ebay have unusually high prices for items that are available for much less elsewhere,  I just assume that they are unlikely to actually sell at those asking prices.  Maybe if/when Snell is actually out of any of those models a few folks may be willing to pay some of those prices but I think it's more likely that they just go with a different ball until the balls are available from Snell again. Some people are already going with alternatives while Snell is limiting purchases to 2 dozen an order which prevents the bulk discount.

edit: As an example, currently on Amazon you can buy the TM Tour Response Stripe for $39.99 with Amazon as the seller (and eligible for free shipping with Prime) or for $79.99 with "BigBargainsOutlet" as the seller.

Edited by cardigan

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

I'm glad I bought enough MTB to last through 2023 when I did.  There is no way I'd only get 2 dozen and pay $15 shipping.  Something just isn't right about that.

That was for the poster who lives in Hawaii.  Seems like a lot but I'm sure folks in Hawaii have tons of horror stories on shipping prices for various items.  Would likely be $8 for standard ground shipping for most folks in the continental US.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cardigan said:

That was for the poster who lives in Hawaii.  Seems like a lot but I'm sure folks in Hawaii have tons of horror stories on shipping prices for various items.  Would likely be $8 for standard ground shipping for most folks in the continental US.

Yep. Lots of stories.

$15 for 5 dozen is okay for me but is significant for only 2 dozen. Buying Snells 2 boxes at a time means I'd have to do 2-3 orders for the year. I like to get 5 doz at a time since I'm also buying for my 3 kids that play (ages 8 - 16).

I was pleasantly surprised that the free shipping offer by Vice was applicable to me.

GW - Wilson Staff CB

I just ordered 2 dozen.  $8 shipping seems reasonable. 2 dozen saved about $18 over buying the RX at retail before sales tax.

I just began playing this ball a few months ago after playing the BRX for many years. This ball performs better off the long clubs and I find my iron yardages about the same as the RX.  I'll try the '22 version of the RX at some point but find the performance of the Snell MTB Black to fit my game very well and still a good value.

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I wonder if the powers that be at Snell have considered allowing bulk buying and just being out of them more often? It seems like many would rather be able to buy in bulk than spend more for a couple dozen. It also seems that many are buying other brands instead of 2 dozen Snell only because the value makes more sense. I’m not judging or claiming to be a marketing expert it’s just a thought. It seems that many would rather stock up when the opportunity presented itself and it also seems that most of those people will buy elsewhere before buying a small quantity for higher price and shipping. 

I’m sure it’s been evaluated. I just know that I personally decided to buy where I could get a bulk order. Snell didn’t make sense to me once the value went away even though that ball was my preference. Especially when there are now very similar performing balls on the market for significantly cheaper. I know I’m not everyone but it does seem like many share my thinking. 

Edited by JCitW6855
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, JCitW6855 said:

I wonder if the powers that be at Snell have considered allowing bulk buying and just being out of them more often? It seems like many would rather be able to buy in bulk than spend more for a couple dozen. It also seems that many are buying other brands instead of 2 dozen Snell only because the value makes more sense. I’m not judging or claiming to be a marketing expert it’s just a thought. It seems that many would rather stock up when the opportunity presented itself and it also seems that most of those people will buy elsewhere before buying a small quantity for higher price and shipping. 

I’m sure it’s been evaluated. I just know that I personally decided to buy where I could get a bulk order. Snell didn’t make sense to me once the value went away even though that ball was my preference. Especially when there are now very similar performing balls on the market for significantly cheaper. I know I’m not everyone but it does seem like many share my thinking. 

They did the exact same thing last year and Dean Snell posted his thinking on it in this thread, the Snell blog, and the Snell YouTube channel.  I have to assume that they think it's the best approach for them and won't cause them to lose too much business since they are doing it again.

On 5/23/2022 at 2:43 PM, CUBuffaloes said:

Hello.  I agree the shipping issues are a nightmare, and we were forced to add a shipping charge due to the huge increases passed on to us this year.    I was wondering  how you got your numbers of Snell balls being 41.50 a doz and Vice being 29.00 a doz?    We are selling 2 doz at 33.99 and shipping for 2 day delivery is $8...  so 4 per doz shipping.  or 37.99 per doz delivered in couple of days.    For the Vice 5 doz pack, they are 28.99 plus 6.99 for ground (6-9 days) or $16.99 for the 3 day express shipping.  So that makes them 30.39 for 9 days shipping or 32.38 for 3 days.  I agree it is a savings for 5 doz value pack and we hope to be back to that sooner than later.  but was just curious on how you got Snell Golf balls to be 12.50 per doz more expensive?    Also curious on how Snell balls are $41.50 per doz.   I can certainly take a look at this to see why this is happening, as it should not be $41.50 per doz.   thanks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snell Golf said:

Hello.  I agree the shipping issues are a nightmare, and we were forced to add a shipping charge due to the huge increases passed on to us this year.    I was wondering  how you got your numbers of Snell balls being 41.50 a doz and Vice being 29.00 a doz?    We are selling 2 doz at 33.99 and shipping for 2 day delivery is $8...  so 4 per doz shipping.  or 37.99 per doz delivered in couple of days.    For the Vice 5 doz pack, they are 28.99 plus 6.99 for ground (6-9 days) or $16.99 for the 3 day express shipping.  So that makes them 30.39 for 9 days shipping or 32.38 for 3 days.  I agree it is a savings for 5 doz value pack and we hope to be back to that sooner than later.  but was just curious on how you got Snell Golf balls to be 12.50 per doz more expensive?    Also curious on how Snell balls are $41.50 per doz.   I can certainly take a look at this to see why this is happening, as it should not be $41.50 per doz.   thanks.

Poster is in Hawaii so $8 shipping is not available and was also able to find a code for free shipping from Vice.

Edited by cardigan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Snell Golf said:

Also curious on how Snell balls are $41.50 per doz.   I can certainly take a look at this to see why this is happening, as it should not be $41.50 per doz.   thanks.

When I tried to check out my cart it calculated $15 shipping to Hawaii so my cost per box would have been $33.99 + 7.50 per box.

Vice had a free shipping promo that applied to Hawaii so it was just $28.99 per box. 

I did reach out to Snell customer service prior seeing if there was anyway I could get a larger order in or work something out regarding the cost to ship but got a reply back saying they couldn't. Wishing Snell golf the best in getting through their supply chain issues.

• Like 1

GW - Wilson Staff CB

5 minutes ago, CUBuffaloes said:

When I tried to check out my cart it calculated $15 shipping to Hawaii so my cost per box would have been $33.99 + 7.50 per box.

Vice had a free shipping promo that applied to Hawaii so it was just $28.99 per box. 

I did reach out to Snell customer service prior seeing if there was anyway I could get a larger order in or work something out regarding the cost to ship but got a reply back saying they couldn't. Wishing Snell golf the best in getting through their supply chain issues.

LOL I love your signature.  I am sure you just had to do it.  

image.png.e667ca77959faea342a5245fcce44f18.png

On 6/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, Snell Golf said:

A9CE5BCC-4CCA-49ED-90DB-1BE085AB7A96.jpeg

According to the website $8 shipping is 3-6 days. 2 day shipping costs $14. So doesn’t that bring your figure above up to $40.99 for 2 day shipping? So to wait 3 extra days for shipping that’s a savings of $7.60 per dozen or $15.20 extra for the 2 dozen limit that can be purchased. If you figure it in 5 dozen quantities which is what most people are looking for in this category it costs an extra $38 to to buy them 2 at a time. That’s worth a whole extra dozen of balls. 

I promise I’m not trying to be argumentative but since you posted numbers I felt like they should be corrected and if I missed something I’ll be happy to admit I’m wrong and even delete this post. 

I really, really, really want to use Snell balls unfortunately I just can’t make the price at low purchase quantities make sense against the other options available. Personally I would rather them be out of stock more often but when I catch them available be able to purchase higher volume to stock up and would be fine with a 5 dozen limit per order. I’m sure some don’t feel the same but I do believe a lot of people do.

I wish you luck with what ever path you take and hope to purchase a lot of golf balls from you in the future. 

Edited by JCitW6855
  • Like 2