2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Looking at the MGS ball test the black seems to be significantly lower spin than the X especially on the 50yd shot. I believe the Black is the softer ball as well. My question is does anyone on course experience back up the testing. Does the Black spin enough around the green? And does it feel significantly softer? Per the test, the wedge spin numbers of the Black we lower than the Chrome Soft LS and that ball was a no go for me because of the lack of short game spin. 

I’ve also recently fell in love with the Tour B XS and wondering how the MTB Black and X compare?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

49 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

Looking at the MGS ball test the black seems to be significantly lower spin than the X especially on the 50yd shot. I believe the Black is the softer ball as well. My question is does anyone on course experience back up the testing. Does the Black spin enough around the green? And does it feel significantly softer? Per the test, the wedge spin numbers of the Black we lower than the Chrome Soft LS and that ball was a no go for me because of the lack of short game spin. 

I’ve also recently fell in love with the Tour B XS and wondering how the MTB Black and X compare?

I didn't see the test but on course this past week, I had no issues spinning the ball back with some wedges into the green and I wouldn't say I have some monster swing speed.  Sucked a few back TOO much honestly.  I really have no complaints with the MTB black, have been playing it most of the past year and it has done everything well.  The MTB-X is LONG off the driver but the black feels a bit softer and is still plenty long off the tee.  Holds greens just fine and is way more durable than most other balls I have played in the last couple years.  I find it flies higher than the PV1, but spins about the same, maybe a bit more for me.  I have not found a better overall ball yet and will be bummed if these things become impossible to find.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

15 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I didn't see the test but on course this past week, I had no issues spinning the ball back with some wedges into the green and I wouldn't say I have some monster swing speed.  Sucked a few back TOO much honestly.  I really have no complaints with the MTB black, have been playing it most of the past year and it has done everything well.  The MTB-X is LONG off the driver but the black feels a bit softer and is still plenty long off the tee.  Holds greens just fine and is way more durable than most other balls I have played in the last couple years.  I find it flies higher than the PV1, but spins about the same, maybe a bit more for me.  I have not found a better overall ball yet and will be bummed if these things become impossible to find.

+1 

I do not spin them back that much 

Most of mine back up out of the divot when I hit the green

The black is the best ball for the money you will find IMO

• Like 2

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

38 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I usually play the MTB-X, and it's my favorite ball. I did buy some of the Blacks, and kind of slept on them. I played the blacks yesterday just to try and get a feel for them. Maybe feels a tad bit softer than the X, backs up nicely on the green, nothing crazy where it zips off the green. The ball is long, I hit a drive around 340 with it yesterday, surprised myself, usually only the X gives me that kind of distance. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

17 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I play the black but always found the results surprising from TXGs comparison 

If someone who hits the ball so purely sees little difference in non-windy conditions, is it really only feel? 

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 8:26 AM, Konklifer said:

If someone who hits the ball so purely sees little difference in non-windy conditions, is it really only feel? 

That’s what I want to know. Both comparable performance and only difference is feel? Current ProV1 user here. Want to get back into Snell for the price point. Loved the X for a long time. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

5 hours ago, Stocksandbonds89 said:

Just Test Drived The MTBX and Black at the local Par 3 Muni today. Im a Titleist guy ever since JR golf and I have to say these balls are up there with ProV1/ProV1x performance wise.

Moon Walk Dance GIF

Played in super windy conditions yesterday. Was testing out the Taylormade TP5X, pretty impressed, but not up to the Snell MTBX in the wind. Switched to the Snell, and on a par 5 dead into a 15 mph wind, was the only one to hit it over a trap about 260 yards away, uphill. 2 Titleists and a Callaway in my group were all in the trap or to the side of it, and I was the only one to hit it over, and got a bit of a rollout for a total of around 280 yards. So happy with that ball, that hole is a nightmare.

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

21 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

Played in super windy conditions yesterday. Was testing out the Taylormade TP5X, pretty impressed, but not up to the Snell MTBX in the wind. Switched to the Snell, and on a par 5 dead into a 15 mph wind, was the only one to hit it over a trap about 260 yards away, uphill. 2 Titleists and a Callaway in my group were all in the trap or to the side of it, and I was the only one to hit it over, and got a bit of a rollout for a total of around 280 yards. So happy with that ball, that hole is a nightmare.

How many layers is the MTB-X? (My google's on break)

Running low, so 5doz MTB-X in Optic Yellow are on their way 😀

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, Snell Golf said:

Yes, it will be a difficult year to say the least.   There is a big issue with the raw materials to make the ionomer (Surlyn) material.   Some of the big companies will have some reserves as they order in larger amounts over longer periods of time.  For the small DTC type customers, we have smaller reserves and orders are made when PO's are given to the factories.   With this crisis situation of limited to zero supply of ionomers coming soon, this will make supply very limited and allocated to companies.  This crisis will eventually be over (look at all the horror stories you keep hearing about getting other types of products and extremely long leadtimes) and we will be ready.   We hope everyone understands this tough situation, and it will get better in time.  Thanks for all your patience and support.  

I already see that in market.  That's why I am accumulating golf balls.

• Like 1

I had a hard time deciding whether I should get 3 boxes of left dash or the 5 dozen pack of MTB-X optic yellow.  I currently game both balls.  It just made sense to go for the bargain as the MTB-X is a great ball in it of itself for driver and fairway metals, but spins just a hair too much in mid and short irons for me. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

11 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I had a hard time deciding whether I should get 3 boxes of left dash or the 5 dozen pack of MTB-X optic yellow.  I currently game both balls.  It just made sense to go for the bargain as the MTB-X is a great ball in it of itself for driver and fairway metals, but spins just a hair too much in mid and short irons for me. 

Just play the MTB black Phizzy. They spin a bit less off irons if I remember right from watching the TXG test.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Ordered a couple of dozen yesterday.  Looking forward to starting the season with Snell.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

Just play the MTB black Phizzy. They spin a bit less off irons if I remember right from watching the TXG test.

I did think about that.  I've tested them before and the launch angle/window with driver wasn't quite where I wanted it. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I did think about that.  I've tested them before and the launch angle/window with driver wasn't quite where I wanted it. 

I'm lucky. I'm not good enough to give a crap about launch because I never have the same launch two times in a row. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

How is the durability of the Black ball?  I play a ProV1 and tolerate the price because the ball seems to last forever thus providing decent value.  Performance of the ProV1 is fine for me (feel, spin, distance).  My only gripe with the Snell is the script.  It just seems a bit too large for the font used (mental issue🙄).  I guess that comes from years of playing the Titleist which has a touch of elegance.  

41 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

How is the durability of the Black ball?  I play a ProV1 and tolerate the price because the ball seems to last forever thus providing decent value.  Performance of the ProV1 is fine for me (feel, spin, distance).  My only gripe with the Snell is the script.  It just seems a bit too large for the font used (mental issue🙄).  I guess that comes from years of playing the Titleist which has a touch of elegance.  

Both the MTB black and MTB-X are some of the most durable balls I have come across so no worries there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Both the MTB black and MTB-X are some of the most durable balls I have come across so no worries there. 

This^

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

On 3/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, phizzy30 said:

On 3/12/2022 at 2:13 PM, braincramp52 said:

This^

+1 

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I've played a variety of the higher end balls from Bridgestone Tour B RX to recently playing the AVX.  For poops and giggles I have been thinking about trying a DTC ball.  I am torn between trying the Snell or trying one of the Vice Pro balls.  One friend has played Vice and loves them but I find the reviews on Snell balls online tend to be more positive.

Anyone played both and have any feedback between the two?

1 hour ago, TyWebb1973 said:

I've played a variety of the higher end balls from Bridgestone Tour B RX to recently playing the AVX.  For poops and giggles I have been thinking about trying a DTC ball.  I am torn between trying the Snell or trying one of the Vice Pro balls.  One friend has played Vice and loves them but I find the reviews on Snell balls online tend to be more positive.

Snell > Vice

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

14 hours ago, TyWebb1973 said:

13 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Snell > Vice

+1

• Like 1

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

16 hours ago, TyWebb1973 said:

I've played the Vice Pro and Pro Soft, and also played the Snell MTB Black (and original MTB).  My impressions, for what little they're worth...

I don't remember there being much wind play difference between the Pro and the MTB Black.  What I found interesting is that I would get a distance bump with the Vice when I played with Ping Eye2+ irons, and a bit of a distance drop with my Rams or Mizunos; based on experience, it suggests the Vice was spinning more on full shots.  The MTB was similar across those sets for me, no real spikes or such.

Short game, I found the Snell to provide better spin around the greens than the Vice.  Interestingly, I found the Pro Soft to be better than the Pro around the greens, which could be a generational/edition change (Pro Softs were a couple years newer).  

Also less enthusiastic about the feel of the Vice Pro, preferred the Snell balls.

Driver distance, I was seeing improvements with the Snell that I didn't see with the Vice.  Suggests launch condition differences that I didn't explore.

Sorry for the length.  TLDR version - prefer Snell MTB to Vice Pro.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

18 hours ago, TyWebb1973 said:

Both B RX and AVX are less spinning ball than MTB Black.  Since I play both B RX and MTB Black, I would recommend MTB Black over MTB X but not sure if you are ok with extra spin.  Also, the feel of MTB Black is little more clicky than both B RX and AVX.

• Like 1