2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Or Vice or Maxfli…

Haven't tried Maxfli.  I like the Pro+ by Vice, but the Snell seemed a bit longer for me.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

6 hours ago, ANimz said:

Haven't tried Maxfli.  I like the Pro+ by Vice, but the Snell seemed a bit longer for me.  

The MTB-X? Because I've found the Vice Pro+ to be longer than the MTB Black. I may also try the Maxfli Tour, but whatever I try has to beat out my favorite for all around performance, the Callaway ERC Soft. So far, the Vice Pro+ is right there with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phil75070 said:

The MTB-X? Because I've found the Vice Pro+ to be longer than the MTB Black. I may also try the Maxfli Tour, but whatever I try has to beat out my favorite for all around performance, the Callaway ERC Soft. So far, the Vice Pro+ is right there with it.

I was getting longer drives with it.   I bought a bundle deal of vice, and played a dozen.  Then bought the MTB-X to see how it was after seeing the mygolfspy article on ball testing.  And yes, I was getting 5 -10 more yards.  Could have just been strike though.  Both are good though.  

Titleist u510 2 iron

13 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Or Vice or Maxfli…

For sure!  I just haven't looked back at Vice since.  I have never tried the Maxfli, nor did I know they had a good budget ball. 

Titleist u510 2 iron

On 7/2/2022 at 12:03 PM, ANimz said:

For sure!  I just haven't looked back at Vice since.  I have never tried the Maxfli, nor did I know they had a good budget ball. 

I’m loving the Maxfli Tour. My one and only complaint is the gaudy alignment mark on it. If they would refine that I wouldn’t even consider anything else. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JCitW6855 said:

I’m loving the Maxfli Tour. My one and only complaint is the gaudy alignment mark on it. If they would refine that I wouldn’t even consider anything else. 

I will definitely give it a look.  Love to find a good budget ball.  

Titleist u510 2 iron

On 7/2/2022 at 4:32 AM, phil75070 said:

Pro Plus is 5 yards longer for me than the MTB-X and half a club longer with irons.  Trackman had the Pro Plus spinning less for all clubs hence the slight distance gain.  Currently rocking the MTB-X as one of my gamers atm.  Just wish it wouldn't spin so damn much with the mid to short irons as it's almost the perfect ball for me. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Pro Plus is 5 yards longer for me than the MTB-X and half a club longer with irons.  Trackman had the Pro Plus spinning less for all clubs hence the slight distance gain.  Currently rocking the MTB-X as one of my gamers atm.  Just wish it wouldn't spin so damn much with the mid to short irons as it's almost the perfect ball for me. 

thanks for sharing! I’m curious to know how you reached those conclusions. I’m currently comparing a few balls and I see a number of people say a certain ball is longer off the tee, irons, etc. It’s been hard for me to find a statistically significant difference that isn’t up to my swing variability. 

Do you hit multiple balls from the same spots during a practice round? Test on GC Quad? 

Edited by zap311

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Just now, zap311 said:

thanks for sharing! I’m curious to know how you made those conclusions. I’m currently comparing a few balls and I see a number of people say a certain ball is longer off the tee, irons, etc. It’s been hard for me to find a statistically significant difference that isn’t up to my swing variability. 

Do you hit multiple balls from the same spots during a practice round? Test on GC Quad? 

I do my ball testing on trackman. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I do my ball testing on trackman. 

ok thanks! I’m jealous. No Trackman rental options that I’ve found. In my on-course testing, it’s been easy to evaluate spin and feel, but not distance. For driver, the distance often comes down to strike and whether I got a good kick. 😂

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

14 hours ago, zap311 said:

ok thanks! I’m jealous. No Trackman rental options that I’ve found. In my on-course testing, it’s been easy to evaluate spin and feel, but not distance. For driver, the distance often comes down to strike and whether I got a good kick. 😂

In my case, I have no access to a Trackman either. I belong to a course, so I play it all the time. I know when I've struck a ball as well as I can, and base my judgment on a ball being longer based on where I typically am hitting my next shot from. I can't "quantify" what that added distance is, though; I just know one ball is longer for me off the tee than another.

• Thanks 1

Also bear in mind that @phizzy30 is a trainer, and so I'm assuming extraordinarily fit, and based on previous comments is a very long hitter. I think that's probably critical context here. 

I'm pretty much middle of the road (~100 mph driver, ~165-170 carry 7i @ 32 degree loft), so I'm not in the position of trying to find the lowest spin ball that I can. I don't hit it hard enough that reducing spin is critical, nor am I a short knocker that needs extra spin to keep the ball in the air. I picked MTB-X because when I looked at the MGS ball test, it was pretty much middle of the road as it relates to most characteristics, it's less expensive than the big names being a DTC ball, and because I find the Optic Yellow really easy to see lol. 

So take anything about a ball being "longer" or "shorter" or "too spinny" or "not spinny enough" coming from anyone but yourself with a grain of salt. Some players need less spin; others need more. Players will hit the ball with different launch characteristics than other players, even if they have similar swing speeds. 

I honestly don't believe that unless you're really low cap that anyone's game is consistent enough for there to be a 100% perfectly "right" ball. The goal is to pick a ball that's not obviously "wrong". 

• Like 4

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a couple dozen yellow MTB-X a month ago at Snell UK, and looked today, all models but the GetSum are sold out again. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I checked they were out of the Black in high numbers

Started paying the Triad and have found it to be the closest to the Black. IMO

Firmer than the Tour Response

Also waiting for an update to the Black and the X

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

As much as I’d like to find a different ball to play with due to the shortage, I always come back to this one. It’s perfect for my game. Drives go straighter, I know my iron distances, and the optic yellow color stands out perfectly. 

Here’s to hoping the stock increases so we can order in bulk again. 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2022 at 7:20 AM, tcbringhurst said:

As much as I’d like to find a different ball to play with due to the shortage, I always come back to this one. It’s perfect for my game. Drives go straighter, I know my iron distances, and the optic yellow color stands out perfectly. 

Here’s to hoping the stock increases so we can order in bulk again. 

I hear sales slowing down in retail golf business and expect abundance in supply soon.  upcoming Black Friday would be interesting.

Edited by flushem
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, flushem said:

I hear sales slowing down in retail golf business and expect abundance in supply soon.  upcoming Black Friday would be interesting.

I wish it would happen today. I’ve been trying to hold out for Snell but I’m down to my last box so I’m going to have to pull the trigger on a bulk Vice order today or tomorrow.

I don't need to buy bulk, but I did try one (edit: Maxfli tour) my buddy gave me to try. I found it very similar to Snell.

I don't get what the issue is, though, by saying you won't play Snell unless you can 4 doz? Makes no sense. If it works for your game, buying 2 doz vs 4 doz shouldn't be any difference.

Edited by Imp
  • Like 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

3 minutes ago, Imp said:

I don't need to buy bulk, but I did try one my buddy gave me to try. I found it very similar to Snell.

I don't get what the issue is, though, by saying you won't play Snell unless you can 4 doz? Makes no sense. If it works for your game, buying 2 doz vs 4 doz shouldn't be any difference.

I agree, Ballnamic recommended the CSX and B XS for me. I ordered a sleeve of each to test once I'm released from my foot surgery. Those are 50 a dozen balls, but if one works for my game better than others then I don't mind paying that. But with that said if I can get a ball cheaper that plays just as good then that's better. I did get the Vice sample pk to see if the pro or pro plus plays as good as 2 mentioned.

11 hours ago, Imp said:

I don't get what the issue is, though, by saying you won't play Snell unless you can 4 doz? Makes no sense. 

Multiple possible logical reasons.  The one that requires the least amount of deductive reasoning involves different price points of multiple balls equally fitting a player's game.  

LTDx 10.5 + Velocore blue 7S 

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

SM8 52F/RTX 56S/Jaws 60J + Recoil Proto Wedge F4 

QB7

TP5X 

12 hours ago, Imp said:

I don't need to buy bulk, but I did try one (edit: Maxfli tour) my buddy gave me to try. I found it very similar to Snell.

Shipping is less when a person buys quantity.  There was also a price drop when buying 5 dozen at one time. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

9 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Shipping is less when a person buys quantity.  There was also a price drop when buying 5 dozen at one time. 

My last 5 pack order was $175. Or, $35/box. $2.92/ball.

My last 2 box order was $80, or $40/box. $3.33/ball Or, an increase of $.40/ball. Or, extrapolated to $200 for 5 boxes.

I can tell you this with a very straight face, not knowing Dean, nor Snell, personally, the next 5 set, if offered again, will not be at or below $175. If you haven't been paying attention, everything is more expensive. 

Which brings me back to my original point... if a pining for the no longer existent $25, or $5/box is that make/break level for you for a ball that works so well and lasts like these do... I'm very sorry to hear it. Good luck in your future endeavors. Me? I like what works. And that's Snell. I'm VERY ok with paying the extra $5/box. 

• Like 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*