2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

1 hour ago, flushem said:

Both B RX and AVX are less spinning ball than MTB Black.  Since I play both B RX and MTB Black, I would recommend MTB Black over MTB X but not sure if you are ok with extra spin.  Also, the feel of MTB Black is little more clicky than both B RX and AVX.

Interesting.  I might buy a box of each and see how they feel.  I do prefer a lower spinning ball so maybe the MTB-X might be best but I'll give both a try.

18 hours ago, TyWebb1973 said:

Interesting.  I might buy a box of each and see how they feel.  I do prefer a lower spinning ball so maybe the MTB-X might be best but I'll give both a try.

Buy a test pack

Best way to go

I thought I was going to like the X but ended up with the Black

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I decided this year to settle on one ball to eliminate one variable. Last year I mostly played Srixon XV and TM TP5. So, one “hard” tour ball and one “soft” tour ball. I also played both the ProV1 and the ProV1x. 
I wanted to try Snell so I bought a trial dozen. I’ve been putting with both on my practice mat, and today I was able to take them out on the course. I’m in NJ, and my course hasn’t opened fully for the year - there are temporary greens. But I was able to play both balls for 9 holes today, with a lot of opportunities to practice chipping and pitching because I was literally the only one on the back 9. 

Conclusion - I think there is very little difference between the Black and the X 🤷🏻‍♂️. The X is maybe just a little firmer chipping and putting, and sounds a little different. Distance on well struck shots is basically identical. But honestly, if you removed the different colors of the numbers I’m not sure I could tell them apart. 
Totally different from a ProV1/ProV1X comparison or the TP5/XV comparison. Those balls are noticeably different on all shots, the feel is markedly different. But the Snells? I really like the balls, but they are basically the same to me.

1 hour ago, LPSISCO said:

I decided this year to settle on one ball to eliminate one variable. Last year I mostly played Srixon XV and TM TP5. So, one “hard” tour ball and one “soft” tour ball. I also played both the ProV1 and the ProV1x. 
I wanted to try Snell so I bought a trial dozen. I’ve been putting with both on my practice mat, and today I was able to take them out on the course. I’m in NJ, and my course hasn’t opened fully for the year - there are temporary greens. But I was able to play both balls for 9 holes today, with a lot of opportunities to practice chipping and pitching because I was literally the only one on the back 9. 

Conclusion - I think there is very little difference between the Black and the X 🤷🏻‍♂️. The X is maybe just a little firmer chipping and putting, and sounds a little different. Distance on well struck shots is basically identical. But honestly, if you removed the different colors of the numbers I’m not sure I could tell them apart. 
Totally different from a ProV1/ProV1X comparison or the TP5/XV comparison. Those balls are noticeably different on all shots, the feel is markedly different. But the Snells? I really like the balls, but they are basically the same to me.

Same here I played both balls last week and could not tell the difference at all with the Snell Balls. I'm a 7hc and strike the ball pretty well, so I can tell the difference between balls pretty easy but not the Snells. I'm trying to pick one ball to play as well but I'm not too sold on the snells at the moment 

Played with a guy Wed that used Snell. He told me about the email limiting purchases to 2 dz. That’s a shame, Dean is such a good guy. Hope he’s able to get through the supply issues.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 3/16/2022 at 12:38 PM, TyWebb1973 said:

FWIW, I got an email from Snell (I just got on their mailing list) and they are limited purchases to 2 dozen balls now due to lack of materials.

Will this mean a big exodus from Snell players like all the Titleist loyalists leaving because Titleist isn't offering the 4 for 3 this year?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 3/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, NRJyzr said:

I've played the Vice Pro and Pro Soft, and also played the Snell MTB Black (and original MTB).  My impressions, for what little they're worth...

I don't remember there being much wind play difference between the Pro and the MTB Black.  What I found interesting is that I would get a distance bump with the Vice when I played with Ping Eye2+ irons, and a bit of a distance drop with my Rams or Mizunos; based on experience, it suggests the Vice was spinning more on full shots.  The MTB was similar across those sets for me, no real spikes or such.

Short game, I found the Snell to provide better spin around the greens than the Vice.  Interestingly, I found the Pro Soft to be better than the Pro around the greens, which could be a generational/edition change (Pro Softs were a couple years newer).  

Also less enthusiastic about the feel of the Vice Pro, preferred the Snell balls.

Driver distance, I was seeing improvements with the Snell that I didn't see with the Vice.  Suggests launch condition differences that I didn't explore.

Sorry for the length.  TLDR version - prefer Snell MTB to Vice Pro.

I can tell you for a fact the Vice Pro and Pro Soft spin more by what they do off a persimmon driver. I can hit them somewhat higher than any of the Srixon balls or The Supersoft. For me off a Persimmon driver they launch and spin like a wound ball. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

6 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Will this mean a big exodus from Snell players like all the Titleist loyalists leaving because Titleist isn't offering the 4 for 3 this year?🤣

I ordered my 5 doz about 2 weeks before that email, so I'm just happy that I've got enough balls to basically ride out all of 2022 and probably beyond. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, TyWebb1973 said:

FWIW, I got an email from Snell (I just got on their mailing list) and they are limited purchases to 2 dozen balls now due to lack of materials.

Any indication if this was only for a limited time or is it going to be long term? I am down to my last 2 dozen and will need to order 5 dozen soon. Otherwise I might give the Maxfli Tour X balls a try out since they are similar price point.

1 hour ago, hungyellow said:

Any indication if this was only for a limited time or is it going to be long term? I am down to my last 2 dozen and will need to order 5 dozen soon. Otherwise I might give the Maxfli Tour X balls a try out since they are similar price point.

Think it’s going to be a 2dz limit per order for at least a few more months.

• Sad 1

I'm making a change and can provide several boxes (maybe 3?) of MTB-X if anyone thinks they'll need more than 2 during the shortage. Can probably ship them at the same cost since I don't need tax.

DM me if you want me to check how many I actually have.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

Played the MTB X in  a tournament today. Some swirly winds, so the go to ball in the wind for me in the Snell MTB X. Performed like a champ, and I was out driving everyone in our group with my mini driver most of the day. I think I made a few Snell converts today. 

• Like 4

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

Played the MTB X in  a tournament today. Some swirly winds, so the go to ball in the wind for me in the Snell MTB X. Performed like a champ, and I was out driving everyone in our group with my mini driver most of the day. I think I made a few Snell converts today. 

Did you outscore everyone in your group? Where did you finish in the event? 

2 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Did you outscore everyone in your group? Where did you finish in the event? 

Of course not! you should see my short game, so bad unless I practice A TON, which I haven't had time for. Beat 1 of the guys in my group, finished middle of the pack in the whole tournament. 37 putts!! sigh......

Edited by gioreeko
spelling mistake

Maltby TSW sand wedge

25 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

Of course not! you should see my short game, so bad unless I practice A TON, which I haven't had time for. Beat 1 of the guys in my group, finished middle of the pack in the whole tournament. 37 putts!! sigh......

Yikes on the putting! Get that short game in order. If you're smashing it off the tee like you say you've got to be so frustrated. Best of luck!

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

Yikes on the putting! Get that short game in order. If you're smashing it off the tee like you say you've got to be so frustrated. Best of luck!

As my stepson said yesterday after the round, "you should see a sports psychologist, I've never seen anyone hit the ball so well, especially on the range, and not be able to score well most of the time"  It's frustrating as hell, but I go through periods of work where I'm working 80 hours a week ( I work on movies), and my time to practice goes away. When I'm on, I can shoot a 75 or 76, when I'm playing badly, I can shoot high 80's, with a ton of 3 putts. I'm a professional at turning a birdie putt into a bogey, lol. 

• Like 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

46 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Are these Snell balls really the best performance Value Ball for the money?

The Snell, Vice, and Maxfli balls all perform really well and are a great value.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is the seam on these balls more noticeable? I bought 3 dozen a few months ago and just got into them (don't play a course where you can lose many balls) and I immediately felt the seam on the first ball I picked up. Still love Snells but does anyone else have this same experience?

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

15 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

Is it just me or is the seam on these balls more noticeable? I bought 3 dozen a few months ago and just got into them (don't play a course where you can lose many balls) and I immediately felt the seam on the first ball I picked up. Still love Snells but does anyone else have this same experience?

Yep, it's a fat seam

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

14 hours ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

Yes. Snell uses the 2008 Taylormade LDP 360 pattern that was developed during Dean’s tenure there. I believe Taylormade was the last of the big 5 to produce a pattern with a hidden seem (2013 seem-less LDP 322 pattern first seen on the Lethal).

Ultimately the 2008 LDP pattern was good back then and holds up well today regardless of the visible seem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1