2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Blackstone this past Saturday. Gorgeous day, just perfect out there. Course was great, greens weren't slow but were a little on the shaggy side, but that could have been the afternoon tee time vs the morning like I'm used to. Nobody in our group could buy a putt, nothing over 8 feet made all day. All day my putts weren't taking the break like I saw them, so go figure on 18 I play my birdie putt lower than I was seeing, and lip out on the low side.

Being the modest guy that he is, I'll share that V was absolutely nuking his driver at Blackstone. He was past the first green with his drive, reached #4 in two with the longest drive I've ever seen on that hole, came back with a drive on #6 that left him with 150 in (at least 330 off the tee), reached 12 in 2 and had less than 125 going in on #18. Absolutely amazing to watch.

Thursday and Friday's forecast looks nice. I'm thinking about playing hooky and heading to Dubs before they aerate next week. Anyone interested in a mid-morning round?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Thursday and Friday's forecast looks nice. I'm thinking about playing hooky and heading to Dubs before they aerate next week. Anyone interested in a mid-morning round?

My brother and I are thinking of taking Thursday morning off and looking at 7:40-8:40, never played #4 so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Edit: Just booked the 7:40 on Thursday morning for four of us who have never played Dubs before. Looking at he flyover on their website and some holes look gnarly. For those of you who have played Dubs, should we tee it up at our normal yardage or forward of that? Blue would be right in my comfort zone at 6750 but I don't think I have played a course this difficult before so was thinking the combo tee at ~6500 or even the white tees at 6382 to provide some forgiveness.

My brother and I are thinking of taking Thursday morning off and looking at 7:40-8:40, never played #4 so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Edit: Just booked the 7:40 on Thursday morning for four of us who have never played Dubs before. Looking at he flyover on their website and some holes look gnarly. For those of you who have played Dubs, should we tee it up at our normal yardage or forward of that? Blue would be right in my comfort zone at 6750 but I don't think I have played a course this difficult before so was thinking the combo tee at ~6500 or even the white tees at 6382 to provide some forgiveness.

I usually play the combo. As you state, the course is hard enough with out adding additional distance.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Oh how I would love to afford a round at Dubsdread, though my game ain't good.

That said, if you head NW anywhere, or that general area, I am likely to be looking to golf Wed, Thur, and Friday. One day I will be heading to Rockford, just not sure which yet.

Played Bowes Creek in the morning. I forgot what a great course it is. Despite the recent aeration, the greens were in fantastic shape and definitely quickest I played around Chicago this year (which technically isn't saying much, since the season has been at best forgettable). Too bad it's a haul from Lemont - I would definitely play it more often.

I played there for the first time too. Nice course and unique layout. Was really windy for my front nine which made it difficult. I'll definitely be back.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Anyone played Pine Meadow recently? Wondering what kind of shape it's in...

A coworker played it two weeks ago, and he said the conditions were spotty.

Friday morning at 9:20 am at Dubs. There's room for one more if anyone wants to join.

Saturday morning at 8:18 am at Big Run. There's room for one more if anyone wants to join.

:golfer:

Playing Arrowhead for the first time this weekend. Saw their profile on golf360 and had to book a round.

If you play the East 9, the first hole is a narrow par 5 with junk left, and a lateral hazard right. Remember, 6 iron, 6 iron, 6 iron. You'll thank me later.

Also, Arrowhead is the only course I've ever played that uses colored 150 markers to indicate the pin position. If you're standing at a blue pole on the South's 9th hole, do not hit a 5 wood. You are 150 yards out, and not 200 yards out. Lol. You'll clang the clock tower.

Curious about Bowes Creek vs. Highlands of Elgin... Have played a lot of golf in Chicagoland over the years, but have never made it out to either of these. Is there a consensus on one vs. the other? Are they similar in style? HoE has a lot of info on their website including a hole by hole, but Bowes not so much...

Thanks!

Curious about Bowes Creek vs. Highlands of Elgin... Have played a lot of golf in Chicagoland over the years, but have never made it out to either of these. Is there a consensus on one vs. the other? Are they similar in style? HoE has a lot of info on their website including a hole by hole, but Bowes not so much...

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with either

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Thanks!

I believe the general consensus is that HoE is the better course, but as HM mentions, you can't go wrong with either one. Bowes does have a "member for a day" concept, so you can generally play 2 rounds for a single fee if you have the time.

Thanks!

I've played HOE several times and Bowes only once. I found them to be 2 differently styled courses. HOE is more your modern links style course, pretty wide open with long stuff between holes, but not overly tight or penal, lots of options on how to play holes. I don't know how to classify Bowes but the holes tend to move a little more and several have more demanding tee shots and involve trees. Not links, but not tree lined or parkland style. I feel like Bowes was a little more demanding in general, and had more hazards than HOE, or at least the hazards were more in play than HOE. As said above I think both are great courses.

consider signing up for the Elgin Open (Play HoE saturday and then Bowes Creek on Sunday)...

I agree, two very different courses, but I love them both.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Friday morning at 9:20 am at Dubs. There's room for one more if anyone wants to join.

Saturday morning at 8:18 am at Big Run. There's room for one more if anyone wants to join.

:golfer:

One of these days there will be a Gathering at BR. Alas, it cannot be this weekend. Two dandy courses. Have fun!

Played Dubs this morning, first group off and we were alone until an outing went off on course 2 while we were playing 9 but didn't see anyone but a few grounds keepers on the back. I have only been alone on a course a few times but never on a course like Dubs, it was pretty cool. Conditions were ok, I wasn't sure what to expect as some reviews I have read haven't been too kind but fairways and tee boxes were fantastic and bunkers all though very wet were consistent. The greens were not bad but not $155 good, just looked like they get a lot of play and are about the be punched, no big deal.

I could play that course all the time I had so much fun. Started off like gangbusters hitting fairways and greens, two putting for par... and than I tried somethings I probably shouldn't have (trying to hit fades off the tee) and I imploded. Missing fairways on the back killed me, I never took enough club out of the rough and every green is just surround by bunkers so... 40 front 9 46 back 9 for a frustrating 86. I went into the round just wanting to break 90 because it's a tough track but I think if I just hit fairways (or not miss them by so much) on the back I'm not in so many bunkers and score closer to 80.

Hopeful that the rain stays away this weekend as I'm looking to get out to some of the courses that are about to aerate.

GDN yesterday afternoon. Fairways still running out. Lip out for eagle on the 1st. Lip out for eagle on the 9th. Not much else bad luck for the round but not much good luck either. It's fun to play in late September when it's in the mid-80s.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Late post but played Redtail and Turnberry last Saturday. Both courses in very good shape. Greens could have been faster but still in nice shape...finished 2 bottles of bourbon between the 4 of us.

It was a rough Sunday morning...

Played Klein Creek Thursday morning. It was pretty wet out there but carts were allowed with the 90* rule. Course was in very good shape but greens were on the slow side.

This was probably the most birdies in 18 holes I've ever had...7 birdies. Somehow I didn't break par, smdh.

If you play KC and you see cart #74, grab it...hauls balls.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...