Tiger shoots 85.

Qqq123xx

[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1433624125' post='11701968']

Hank Haney explained part of this on his call in show. People say why doesn't he just hit 5 wood or the stinger off the tee. Hank says that nobody doing that could compete on the tour now. You can't be hitting it even 250 and the rest of the field is hitting 50 yards or more past you. He has to figure the driver out. No choice in the modern game as distance is king. Jordan Spieth is considered somewhat short. He better hope his putter or short game never leaves him.

Anyway, Tiger must figure out the driver. Or, he is hosed.
[/quote]

I think Hank is somewhat right, he can't just toss the driver but he doesn't need to try to destroy the ball. He needs to find a happy medium with that club. He isn't Rory and he isn't Bubba, he needs to accept that and move on. You watch him off the tee with a 5 wood and it is night and day. Just a pure natural kind of a swing. He might be at a point where he needs to win like Spieth wins, focus more on accuracy instead of distance.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='FargoRC' timestamp='1433624812' post='11702030']
[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1433624125' post='11701968']
Hank Haney explained part of this on his call in show. People say why doesn't he just hit 5 wood or the stinger off the tee. Hank says that nobody doing that could compete on the tour now. You can't be hitting it even 250 and the rest of the field is hitting 50 yards or more past you. He has to figure the driver out. No choice in the modern game as distance is king. Jordan Spieth is considered somewhat short. He better hope his putter or short game never leaves him.

Anyway, Tiger must figure out the driver. Or, he is hosed.
[/quote]

I think Hank is somewhat right, he can't just toss the driver but he doesn't need to try to destroy the ball. He needs to find a happy medium with that club. He isn't Rory and he isn't Bubba, he needs to accept that and move on. You watch him off the tee with a 5 wood and it is night and day. Just a pure natural kind of a swing. He might be at a point where he needs to win like Spieth wins, focus more on accuracy instead of distance.
[/quote]

I agree. When I see him with the driver it looks like he is trying to swing out of his shoes.

[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1433624390' post='11701984'][quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1433624118' post='11701964']
I don't understand this "you gotta start somewhere". This is a guy who has won 14 majors. What do you mean, start somewhere? I don't think making a cut by perhaps the greatest golfer of all time is considered a "victory". This is the guy who said the person who comes in second is the "first loser".
[/quote]

I think he has played about 7 events since being injured(again) in 2014. That is not a lot of golf. Surely nobody expected him to come back and be winning week in and week out.[/quote]

True, but the fact is he's only showing flashes of being COMPETITIVE at this point. What concerns me is the short game, especially his putting. He was the most amazing putter I will likely see in my lifetime, no matter what else was going on with his game. And that seems to be gone.

I don't pretend to know what's going on with him. Maybe golf isn't as important to him as it was, maybe the mental "scar tissue" has built up too much, or maybe it's something that hasn't even been brought up yet. I was never a Tiger fan to the level of a lot of guys here, but I think lovers and haters will agree that it's good for golf when he's good. It's just a shame to watch someone who dominated so thoroughly now struggle so publicly. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='bullie76' timestamp='1433618135' post='11701570']
Think about this. Like Tiger, Seve was never a great driver but he only got worse after the age of 40. I know Tiger has been great and many have thought if anyone can recapture the magic, it will be him. I just don't see it. I never have been a Tiger fan, but I admit I hate to see him go out this way.
[/quote]

Tiger was a great driver (combing accuracy and distance he was clearly the best) from 1997-2002 (even was pretty good in 2003 at 62% fairways hit. Wheels came off with Haney and have stayed off and only gotten worse, obviously.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1433619221' post='11701630']Im in a slump and beat tiger by 9 today :)[/quote]

I never thought I would ever clip Rory and Tiger in span of 8 days. But ut happened

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

His body is broken. His mind is broken. Father time has never ever lost and never ever will. For a guy who has played so little golf, he's got a ton of miles on him.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

And of course he never talks to reporters when he has a bad round

The guy has never had any class

Would you like to be interviewed after your worst performance ever at your job?

What more needs to be said?

BvHSZFU.png

TP9YSQz.png

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I followed him for 4 or 5 holes yesterday and actually saw him play pretty well during that stretch (2 birdies). The guy just doesn't look right. I've been going to the memorial on and off for 15 years. I went to presidents cup last year. Every time I see tiger play at least 1 hole. He looks different.

I made it a point to simply watch him when he wasn't hitting the ball. He looks like he is in pain. Like constant pain. Maybe he isn't injured and maybe this is just how he is, but he looked like he was in pain. When reading putts, he never bent down. Always squatted with a straight back. To put a tee in the ground he bent down at the waist but always kept a straight back.

I was with a buddy who played college basketball and has pretty bad back problems due to it. He was watching as well and contentiously pointed out when tiger was stretching out his back. It was after virtually every shot. Most of the time he looked like he was just squatting reading a putt but you could visibly see him fidgeting around trying to loosen up.

I don't think we will ever see Tiger on top again. We may see him get back to form and win some tournaments but the guy looks completely fragile and injured. At this point, nothing would surprise me.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Well he did shoot 33 on the front 9 the first two rounds, so we know he still has some competitive golf in him. Clearly he's having trouble taking it from practice to tournaments consistently, but he hasn't been playing hardly any tournaments at all. He committed to a lot of events this summer so hopefully he can get in a good groove when it counts.

TW performance today was, in my opinion, eerily sad. It's over I think. This is the end of an era, you don't go from winning 5 tournaments 2-3 years ago to this without permanent damage. The kid that idolized TW when he was a kid totally schooled him out there today, it just added to the awkwardness of it all. I hate to be one of those guys, but I think TW is done. I hope he retires soon, and I am a huge fan...It almost hurts to type this out.

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

End of an era. This happened after the 2013 season. What we are witnessing are the "my mind says I can still do it but my body can't" years. It's honestly just sad watching one of the greatest players ever just crumbling before you.

I grew up on Tiger. Played golf because of him. Like a part of my youth is dying. Just a sad last few years tbh.

For nearly two decades- "GOAT!!!"

Today- "There are worse guys out there"

He shot 85. He got beat by guys few have heard of by 15-20 shots on a course he knows and has won on. He has no idea what he's doing.

But the apologists are relentlessly out in force with absurd rationalizations. "You can't expect him to win week in and week out" huh? Win? WIN? Who's asking for that? How about looking like you belong or even want to be out there? How about looking like you could compete against your niece without getting 4 a side?

No one knows the future. But simply denying the reality of the now is ridiculous.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Poor Posture' timestamp='1433625650' post='11702106']
I'm not a big Tiger fan but think he is done is simply ignorant.
[/quote]

Die hard fan, huh?

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

[quote name='hbgpagolfpro' timestamp='1433617180' post='11701490']
I think we are witnessing the reincarnation of David Duval and Ian Baker-Finch
[/quote]
I've said in other threads this looks more like Seve all over agai to me. When you watch this, and remember the careers of guys like Seve and Johnny and Arnie, it brings home hkw incredible Jack was to stay so good for so long. I think there have been a (very) few players who have played to Jacks level over the years, but most can't maintain it for more than a few yeard. Tiger held it together longer than most but it looks like even he can't keep the magic going into his twilight years like Jack did.

Arguably, the greatest player ever, at least the greatest player of this generation, can't break an egg. He almost reversed it into a MC yesterday on 17 & 18, and today....85!!!

Like him or not, this kind of fall from grace is hard to believe and harder to watch. It also puts into perspective how tough golf is.

I hope he finds something. I know there have been calls for a return to Butch, but I think the only one that can fix this is Tiger himself. He's gotta fix the body and more importantly his head, if he ever wants to fix his game.

[quote name='fr0sty' timestamp='1433627801' post='11702316']
I hate to be one of those guys, but I think TW is done. I hope he retires soon, and I am a huge fan...It almost hurts to type this out.
[/quote]

He very well might be done. Strange to see a guy go from dominant, undisputed #1, to where Tiger is today.

We hear so many people (Jack said it in the booth today) say that all Tiger really needs is to play more often. The guy plays once a month; no way to groove a game.

I think the "red flag" is the very fact that Tiger plays so infrequently. He may suspect that he is not capable of playing more frequently without injuring himself.

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1433629651' post='11702454']
[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1433629545' post='11702448']
Tiger did hit hundreds of balls on the range yesterday after his round sooooooo
[/quote]

But, Q, Did he have the Q World Destroyer driving iron?
[/quote] Nope we are not in conjunction with the check mark.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

So ironic that while so many felt Tiger breaking Jack's record was a virtual certainty, today we see just how difficult it is to remain dominant in this game. Tiger showed the world once again how much of his skill has been lost... shooting an 85, his worst round as a Professional...and just where does this happen??? Why at Jack's Memorial Tournament, of course. Is this some kind of poetic Justice?... well perhaps so..

I think its safe to now say that Jack's record will reign supreme for the foreseeable future. The Tiger of 2015 has lost his stripes...maybe it was the bad karma as much as anything that robbed him of his confidence and skill. He's finished as a competitive force on Tour and is in danger of becoming a pathetic figure now. He really needs sit out the rest of the year just to end the embarrassment and further damage to his legacy. We were fortunate to see the rise of Tiger Woods, but its no fun watching his premature fall from greatness. Save the Tiger? Don't think its possible now...

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1433627390' post='11702282']
I followed him for 4 or 5 holes yesterday and actually saw him play pretty well during that stretch (2 birdies). The guy just doesn't look right. I've been going to the memorial on and off for 15 years. I went to presidents cup last year. Every time I see tiger play at least 1 hole. He looks different.

I made it a point to simply watch him when he wasn't hitting the ball. He looks like he is in pain. Like constant pain. Maybe he isn't injured and maybe this is just how he is, but he looked like he was in pain. When reading putts, he never bent down. Always squatted with a straight back. To put a tee in the ground he bent down at the waist but always kept a straight back.

I was with a buddy who played college basketball and has pretty bad back problems due to it. He was watching as well and contentiously pointed out when tiger was stretching out his back. It was after virtually every shot. Most of the time he looked like he was just squatting reading a putt but you could visibly see him fidgeting around trying to loosen up.

I don't think we will ever see Tiger on top again. We may see him get back to form and win some tournaments but the guy looks completely fragile and injured. At this point, nothing would surprise me.
[/quote]I watched yesterday, and he seemed to be moving rather gingerly, like he was worried his back was going to go south.

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1433623667' post='11701934']
Psychologically that 3rd round must be more damaging than a missed cut........ IMHO
[/quote]

+1. I would not want to be teeing it up tomorrow after a round like that, especially by myself where every eye is on me, every shot.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5