2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger shoots 85.

Qqq123xx

From the ESPN article about Tiger's round today "Nicklaus, 75, had 16 scores in the 80s as a pro, with six of those coming before he turned 40. His highest score was an 85 at the 2003 Masters, when the Golden Bear was 63. His highest scores before turning 40 were a pair of 82s at the 1976 Pebble Beach Pro-am and the 1979 Players Championship at Sawgrass Country Club." Did Tiger look terrible out there today? Of course he did. Is he finished? Only person who knows that is Tiger. Is it an over-reaction by the media in the 24-7 news area? Most likely. But 6 rounds in the 80s before 40 didn't end Jack's career.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1433640165' post='11703292']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433639494' post='11703252']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']
Take this with a grain of salt.....you guys are pathetic! Whether he plays ok or sucks he isn't relevant to today's game due in part to his insatiable desire to "own" his swing rather than just "play" causing many aliments and to add very poor "karma" for being a womanizer and a jerk.....

His game for a 15 year window was/is the best golf we'll see for overall consistency and domination.

However it has passed and Rory, Jordan, Justin and far more important to talk about and discuss.....

FIGJAM and Glover both played poorly but not a peep.....

Let's agree to leave this former great player to "figuring out" his game.

The game is much bigger than any one individual despite his apparent omnipresence believed by some....

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and Justin entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

Who's figjam and Glover? A crime fighting duo?
[/quote]Nice response Hoges :)

I was only going to say that calling those that you obviously have a different viewpoint "pathetic" is a tad personal, especially for a thread in a golf forum, lmao.

Another thing is there are a lot of Great Guys who posted on both sides of the table.

I really don't have feelings one way or the other on Tiger, as he doesn't sign any check that I cash, he can't cure the cancer that I have and I've never even met the guy for chrissakes.

However I would kindly disagree with ya on calling these Guys pathetic, regardless of their views.

A few, misguided, maybe, but pathetic?

Based off of one or two posts in a forum?

Nah, there I'm gonna have to say no dice-

Regardless TMaG, I wish ya the best and hope that you're Havin a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

Richard....you are an astute person based on your use of timely adjectives. ....I won't retract my use of the word......READ MY ENTIRE POST! It's my level of frustration with endless need to dissect,pick through and positively over analyze everything this once great golfer has done.....I've been on this site pretty much since the inception. .....tiger this and tiger that.....barf!

So you can criticize my usage of a harsh word but I'm calling it as I see it.....GET on with LIFE!

Or let's kick the dying dog because he cheated on his wife.....I'm sure everyone here lead perfect,unblemished lives (sarcasm )

Just a couple if thoughts / comments:

1) For those of my generation (late 50's) this is eerily reminiscent of watching some of the greatest players of all time who stayed around too long (examples would be Willie Mays, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, etc.)

2) What little I saw of clips of Tiger yesterday (Friday) looked, as one previous poster noted, like Tiger was in pain, and moving gingerly as if there was a back issue of some sort. This to me looked legitimate, and not the typical overly dramatic Tiger.

3) Butch - period. Tiger needs to suck up his pride and go back to the one guy who might be able to help. I agree with another poster who pointed out that the back issues seemed to have started with the "Haney regime".

I am far from being a Tiger lover, but what we are witnessing is historical in a sad way, and In spite of his personal issues and character shortcomings, I am starting to feel for the guy, or as sorry as I can feel for a guy with hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Tiger shooting a 85 had absolutely no influence on my day whatsoever. Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Tiger's body language tells it all. It's one thing to be frustrated at poor play but that constant look he has on his face that he'd prefer to be anywhere other than the golf course is telling in my opinion.

Someone said it earlier that he is lost in the wilderness. That's exactly what his facial expression is telling me.

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433639862' post='11703276']
Take this with a grain of salt.....you guys are pathetic! Whether he plays ok or sucks he isn't relevant to today's game due in part to his insatiable desire to "own" his swing rather than just "play" causing many aliments and to add very poor "karma" for being a womanizer and a jerk.....

His game for a 15 year window was/is the best golf we'll see for overall consistency and domination.

However it has passed and Rory, Jordan, Justin and far more important to talk about and discuss.....

The game is much bigger than any one individual despite his apparent omnipresence believed by some....

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and Justin entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes....did their darndest to protect the birdies ;-)
[/quote]

I guess that beats doing your darnedest to avoid quads, triples, chunked chips, bladed bunker shots and four putts.

But whatever, i get that the axe you're grinding can't be sharpened nor even swung effectively dull these days. So throw out an angry FIGJAM, it's the sycophants soothing ointment. So go ahead. Let the healing begin.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433641449' post='11703402']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess that beats doing your darnedest to avoid quads, triples, chunked chips, bladed bunker shots and four putts.

But whatever, i get that the axe you're grinding can't be sharpened nor even swung effectively dull these days. So throw out an angry FIGJAM, it's the sycophants soothing ointment. So go ahead. Let the healing begin.
[/quote]

Don't have an axe dude.....just trying to figure the "tiger nit-pick on everything " vs a hall of fame member and u.s. open champ who ALSO played poorly.....but you're right....bad round equals bad round.....again no defence for it but curious as to the need kick.....sad on WRX elite posters but "par" for the forum.

Only 16 guys beat him at the masters. He made the cut at the Players(probably deepest field as well). Hell, Rory shot an 80 not long ago.

Tiger is not at the top of the field, that is given. However, did anybody see Darren Clarke winning the Open or Ernie a few years ago? How about Phil winning the Open as well.

Tiger is likely not going to be #1 in the world or win 5 tournaments a year. However, I still believe he can have magic moments.

[quote name='bobcat' timestamp='1433630266' post='11702508']
So ironic that while so many felt Tiger breaking Jack's record was a virtual certainty, today we see just how difficult it is to remain dominant in this game. Tiger showed the world once again how much of his skill has been lost... shooting an 85, his worst round as a Professional...and just where does this happen??? Why at Jack's Memorial Tournament, of course. Is this some kind of poetic Justice?... well perhaps so..

I think its safe to now say that Jack's record will reign supreme for the foreseeable future. The Tiger of 2015 has lost his stripes...maybe it was the bad karma as much as anything that robbed him of his confidence and skill. He's finished as a competitive force on Tour and is in danger of becoming a pathetic figure now. He really needs sit out the rest of the year just to end the embarrassment and further damage to his legacy. We were fortunate to see the rise of Tiger Woods, but its no fun watching his premature fall from greatness. Save the Tiger? Don't think its possible now...

:golfer:
[/quote]

Man, that reads like tabloid journalism at it's worst! You couldn't have put more hyperbole in there if you'd tried!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Obtw.....my LIFE certainly doesn't revolve around a narriscist prude.....50 years old with 5 wonderful kids.....healing? Nah dude, just being real about the level of drivel wasted on topic such as this.....JUSTIN ROSE RULES! ;-)

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']

[/quote]

I was only going to say that calling those that you obviously have a different viewpoint "pathetic" is a tad personal, especially for a thread in a golf forum, lmao.

Another thing is there are a lot of Great Guys who posted on both sides of the table.

I really don't have feelings one way or the other on Tiger, as he doesn't sign any check that I cash, he can't cure the cancer that I have and I've never even met the guy for chrissakes.

However I would kindly disagree with ya on calling these Guys pathetic, regardless of their views.

Richard
[/quote]

Richard....you are an astute person based on your use of timely adjectives. ....I won't retract my use of the word......READ MY ENTIRE POST! It's my level of frustration with endless need to dissect,pick through and positively over analyze everything this once great golfer has done.....I've been on this site pretty much since the inception. .....tiger this and tiger that.....barf!

So you can criticize my usage of a harsh word but I'm calling it as I see it.....GET on with LIFE!

Or let's kick the dying dog because he cheated on his wife.....I'm sure everyone here lead perfect,unblemished lives (sarcasm )
[/quote]No, I happen to agree with most of your initial post, with that exception, and this one, lol

Have a nice weekend :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hey, no one is going anywhere. Why all the anger and harsh words? If Tiger is coming back, we just have to sit back and wait. He and a large percentage of fans say it is going to happen, so I'll just wait.
Golf and the golf season will continue regardless.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1433642550' post='11703510']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']
[quote name='TMAG&amp;amp;#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']

[/quote]

Fairways &amp; Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

[/quote]No, I happen to agree with most of your initial post, with that exception, and this one, lol

Have a nice weekend :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

You kill with kindness......keep up the good,work young man! JUSTIN ROSE RULES!

;-)

[quote name='misplacedtexan83' timestamp='1433617059' post='11701480']
[quote name='bullie76' timestamp='1433616873' post='11701464']I have said it before, but wouldn't be surprised to see him retire sooner rather than later. Can you imagine what he will shoot at the US Open playing like this?[/quote]
I'm hoping he will be able to hit stingers off the tees all day long...
[/quote]

I don't think he has hit that stinger in about 8 years unfortunately

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and [b]Justin[/b] entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

Sorry, who?

[color=#444444][indent=1.725][color=#222222]
He won't quit, he is too proud and he wants to show everyone he made the right decision in changing his swing.[/color]
[color=#222222]
He is in Denial, and I don’t mean the river. He could have stuck with any of the 3 previous coaches and he would still be winning. He has drank his own koolaid and unfortunately believes he is bullet proof. He has come to believe that it is the swing that wins golf tournaments, it isn’t and never has been.
I believe he is too proud to admit that this new method is just not working! He is the Captain of his own fate and will go down with the ship. He has forgotten how to play golf and how to score, and is now wrapped up in Technical Mumbo-Jumbo. Over coached.
I have always been a Tiger fan (of his golf), however, now he has reached the John Daly plateau, people are watching to see how he will self-destruct. Very sad. I would love to eat my words, but it is doubtful.[/color][/color][/indent][color=#444444][size=3]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/303314/with-tiger-woods-is-it-positive-thinking-or-denial/?replytocom=443728#respond"]Reply[/url][/size][/color]

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1433642910' post='11703546']

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and [b]Justin[/b] entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

Sorry, who?
[/quote]

Bold for Justin? ROSE! ;-)

[quote name='jffuller' timestamp='1433640309' post='11703310']
From the ESPN article about Tiger's round today "Nicklaus, 75, had 16 scores in the 80s as a pro, with six of those coming before he turned 40. His highest score was an 85 at the 2003 Masters, when the Golden Bear was 63. His highest scores before turning 40 were a pair of 82s at the 1976 Pebble Beach Pro-am and the 1979 Players Championship at Sawgrass Country Club." Did Tiger look terrible out there today? Of course he did. Is he finished? Only person who knows that is Tiger. Is it an over-reaction by the media in the 24-7 news area? Most likely. But 6 rounds in the 80s before 40 didn't end Jack's career.
[/quote]

But in between those rounds Jack played well, this is what we are getting from Tiger regularly now.

When was the last time Tiger played four good rounds of golf, 2013? Even in most of those wins it was a crazy low score one round and then a cruise in.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433641882' post='11703444']
[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433639862' post='11703276']
[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't have an axe dude.....just trying to figure the "tiger nit-pick on everything " vs a hall of fame member and u.s. open champ who ALSO played poorly.....but you're right....bad round equals bad round.....again no defence for it but curious as to the need kick.....sad on WRX elite posters but "par" for the forum.
[/quote]

I have no idea how Lucas freaking Glover is part of the conversation here.

Beyond that It's sounding like you're of the "praise only" contingent of WRXr. Are you really so confounded to see so many have an opinion on what we're seeing here? This is perhaps the most precipitous fall off in performance of a world class athlete witnessed since.... Ever. You really think "don't have an opinion! " is reasonable here? You're protecting your guy, and I get that. Just like, as a Cavs fan, I want to believe we can win the title without Kyrie And Love, but I allow it to consciously enter my mind that that ain't gonna happen unless a myriad of circumstances of high improbability come to pass. Which brings us back to FIGJAM and G lover. That's like me throwing out "well the pistons suck! Hahaha!!" and feeling better about my team. That's a baffling thing, but it's a card universally played by the sycophant. And it's laughable in its smallness.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']
[quote name='TMAG&amp;#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']

[/quote]

Richard
[/quote]

[/quote]

I see..

You don't like the direction that certain threads take regarding TW so is rather acceptable to bring out the completely played out, tired, haggard figjam bullxxxx.

Yeah, sounds about right...

Tiger shot 85 on a day when three players shot 65. No one came close to shooting 60 when Rory shot 80 last week. The low round of the day was 67, and only six players broke 70, so there is no comparison.

For Tiger to shoot 85 in benign conditions tells us alot. Tiger has been the best grinder we've ever seen. We actually saw that the first two rounds this week, as he putted lights out, but today, his swing issues were too much to overcome. And please, going back to Butch is not going to solve the issue. His swing is nothing like it was 15 years ago and neither is his body.

I think we have to accept that all these swing changes and his injuries are combining to wreck his game similarly to how injuries have impacted other players such as Johnny Miller, Seve and David Duval. We've seen this movie before. The struggle moves from being a mere physical struggle to one that is also affecting his psyche. We're just witnessing the decline of a great athlete sooner than we had hoped, and it actually started six years ago when YE Yang took the PGA from him.

In regard to Augusta, he can remain competitive there just like Jack and Freddie have into their 50's just because of course knowledge, creativity, lack of rough, and just from the inspiration from being there. After all, he finished 4th in 2010 after his layoff from the scandal. He won't win there, however, because he can't hit the driver well enough to dominate the par 5s like he once did, and because that course is actually tough on the body due to the hilly terrain.

Naturally, just my opinion.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

I always love when guys call Tiger classless but they are the first to rub his nose in it when it goes wrong, which is a classless venture all around. Some people need to look in the mirror because hypocrisy is ugly.

The guy could have walked off the course, he could withdraw now, but he didn't and he won't, and the only reason is because of his respect for Jack. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Jack tells him to not worry about playing tomorrow if he doesn't want to, but I bet he does.

Classless indeed.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1433627390' post='11702282']
I followed him for 4 or 5 holes yesterday and actually saw him play pretty well during that stretch (2 birdies). The guy just doesn't look right. I've been going to the memorial on and off for 15 years. I went to presidents cup last year. Every time I see tiger play at least 1 hole. He looks different.

I made it a point to simply watch him when he wasn't hitting the ball. He looks like he is in pain. Like constant pain. Maybe he isn't injured and maybe this is just how he is, but he looked like he was in pain. When reading putts, he never bent down. Always squatted with a straight back. To put a tee in the ground he bent down at the waist but always kept a straight back.

I was with a buddy who played college basketball and has pretty bad back problems due to it. He was watching as well and contentiously pointed out when tiger was stretching out his back. It was after virtually every shot. Most of the time he looked like he was just squatting reading a putt but you could visibly see him fidgeting around trying to loosen up.

I don't think we will ever see Tiger on top again. We may see him get back to form and win some tournaments but the guy looks completely fragile and injured. At this point, nothing would surprise me.
[/quote]

This post makes me sad. Hard to imagine that kind of existence.

If you're right, why do you think he's still out there? For the money? The fame? The sponsorship fulfillments?

Or is it just stubbornness?

I know this: if covered by pgatour.com , it will be the most watched internet broadcast of the whole tournament.

Just like at Valhalla last year, I personally will be unable to watch.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433643754' post='11703620']
[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433641882' post='11703444']

[quote name='TMAG&#045;firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have no idea how Lucas freaking Glover is part of the conversation here.

Beyond that It's sounding like you're of the "praise only" contingent of WRXr. Are you really so confounded to see so many have an opinion on what we're seeing here? This is perhaps the most precipitous fall off in performance of a world class athlete witnessed since.... Ever. You really think "don't have an opinion! " is reasonable here? You're protecting your guy, and I get that. Just like, as a Cavs fan, I want to believe we can win the title without Kyrie And Love, but I allow it to consciously enter my mind that that ain't gonna happen unless a myriad of circumstances of high improbability come to pass. Which brings us back to FIGJAM and G lover. That's like me throwing out "well the pistons suck! Hahaha!!" and feeling better about my team. That's a baffling thing, but it's a card universally played by the sycophant. And it's laughable in its smallness.
[/quote]

No Mr. "I don't understand" I'm. ....again....I'm not "defending" Tiger nor bashing him for a poor round. ....that's for the "see I told you crowd.....you can marvel as his fall from grace, dissect it , call Butch.....your opinions are pointless as the nose of an Iraqi Nuke.....MY point.....I'll make it clear....MOVE on.....get it? It's probably due to the social changes of over-saturation. ....media and otherwise. ...tweet,fb,forums. .....Rich Lerner and Brandel ad nauseum will give you enough to last the year......me? Golf is,great to watch and discuss WITHOUT talk of guys missing cuts or shooting 3rd round 80's (i.e. Glover)

But I guess the polarizing Tiger can't "share" the spotlight with others.....