2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger shoots 85.

Qqq123xx

It's been a real joy watching all of Jack's career, followed by Tiger's career. Between the two of them, they set the bar very high.

Tiger looked like his back was sore today.

IMO, Tiger is finished unless he changes his approach. It is clear that the grip it and rip it with 100% all out jump out of his shoes on every swing is no longer working. He needs to throttle back and play a different style of golf. But, I guess that just wouldn't be Tiger in his mind, so I'm not sure he can do that.

It's sad to watch.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='AmazinBlue' timestamp='1433653289' post='11704206']
He used to move the needle, then he became the needle. Now he is proving that he is just human like everyone else. Was it Earl, all the women that made him feel powerful enough that he could crush everyone on the course? Was it Butch, Hank or Tiger himself? I don't know, but he ain't what he used to be. The intimidation factor is gone, the best swing in the game is gone, the longest driver in the game is gone and the best putter on the planet is gone. He was a short-game wizard in his prime. He believed he could pull off any shot he faced.

I don't think he believes that anymore, it's like the Samson and Delilah thing. Something that was is strength and power has been taken from him, almost like he woke up and he realized that Earl was the key to Tiger's life and without him, he is toast. Age, injuries and the world seeing that he is no better than anyone else has all caught up with him.

Do I think he'll ever win again, ehh maybe. He'll most likely never win a major again, he might win a lesser event if it's on a course that suits his strengths (not sure what those are now). Tiger has always played the same events - those where he has won before and where he dominates. He rarely, almost never plays tougher, tighter courses like Riveria, Colonial, Hilton Head. No one on the course is intimidated anymore, no one is in awe, heck the media isn't afraid of him anymore.

His money and power kept all the dogs at bay, now he is chum for the sharks with a camera and microphone. Is he DONE? Maybe not, but another 80+ round tomorrow and I bet he skips the US Open. 'Not gonna play until I'm tournament ready'. The only wway to get tournament ready is to PLAY TOURNAMENTS.

I laughed out loud when I watched him quad the 18th and shoot 85. Not because I dislike him, I don't know him. I'm not a fan, but that's because of how he acts. I respect the skill and talent he displayed for years, but to watch him play like any amateur in their league round or Saturday foursome is simply karma. I'm not sure I completely believe it exists, but how else do you explain the truly embarrassing things that have happened to him on the course this year?

To me it is all paybacks for the over exaggerated fist pumps, the swearing, throwing clubs and the "nobody can beat me when I have my A game" attitude. Not to mention all the crap he pulled while married. Nobody's perfect, but his "control" over everyone around him was going to come back and bite him eventually and it is coming full circle.

I'm still waiting for the needle to be moved by someone else. The game is bigger than Tiger and there is more than enough talent and interesting players on Tour that is doesn't 'need' him. I don't miss him when he's not playing and dread all the hype surrounding his latest "return" to the game. He can take his 66 'worst ball' round and go home.
[/quote]

He plays so little anyway. What's to miss? And when he makes the cut, he
plays so early he's done before the TV coverage starts. I'm with you.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433636385' post='11702966']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1433634866' post='11702826']
Tiger has a long history of silencing the doubters, I really hope he rubs it in this time.
[/quote]

So there is NOTHING he can do that will allow the reality of the situation to sink in for you here huh? I get he's made come backs from injury before. But to say what you just said requires you to not even glance at the cards he's holding. I get never counting him out. But the suggestion you make, that a return to form is inevitable and is merely a matter of time is an irrational optimism rooted in hope or fond memories. At some point, all he's dealt with psychically and emotionally and simple age catches up. The notion that he will perpetually be able to get back to even a consistently solid player requires a closing of the eyes, a clenched fist, and really really hopeful squint before blowing out the candles.

I appreciate your belief but you have to at least try to mix in a little reality. It's not merely an opinion anymore. He shot 85 at a place he has owned in the past. He claims he's healthy, he claims he's Working hard on the range and he's losing by 20 and is DFL.
[/quote]
lol, I had a hard time forcing myself to read the whole post, I'm guessing this is partially fueled partly by another thread, and deservingly so I admit.

I;m just saying, he is a candidate for the best player that ever played the game, more than once he's come back and dominated when every one and their brother said he was done, there is nothing more I'd like than to see him kick everyone's a** all the way to Sunday one last time, but hey, that's just me. I dig that kind of drama.

In truth, all BS aside, I don't think he's done yet.

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']Take this with a grain of salt.....you guys are pathetic! Whether he plays ok or sucks he isn't relevant to today's game due in part to his insatiable desire to "own" his swing rather than just "play" causing many aliments and to add very poor "karma" for being a womanizer and a jerk.....

His game for a 15 year window was/is the best golf we'll see for overall consistency and domination.

However it has passed and Rory, Jordan, Justin and far more important to talk about and discuss.....

FIGJAM and Glover both played poorly but not a peep.....

Let's agree to leave this former great player to "figuring out" his game.

The game is much bigger than any one individual despite his apparent omnipresence believed by some....

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and Justin entertain Us! Cheers.....[/quote]���

[quote name='MacDaddyMike' timestamp='1433661915' post='11704414']
It would epic if he won the U.S Open.
[/quote]

....or ANY tournament for that matter!!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1433624956' post='11702042'][quote name='FargoRC' timestamp='1433624812' post='11702030']
[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1433624125' post='11701968']
Hank Haney explained part of this on his call in show. People say why doesn't he just hit 5 wood or the stinger off the tee. Hank says that nobody doing that could compete on the tour now. You can't be hitting it even 250 and the rest of the field is hitting 50 yards or more past you. He has to figure the driver out. No choice in the modern game as distance is king. Jordan Spieth is considered somewhat short. He better hope his putter or short game never leaves him.

Anyway, Tiger must figure out the driver. Or, he is hosed.
[/quote]

I think Hank is somewhat right, he can't just toss the driver but he doesn't need to try to destroy the ball. He needs to find a happy medium with that club. He isn't Rory and he isn't Bubba, he needs to accept that and move on. You watch him off the tee with a 5 wood and it is night and day. Just a pure natural kind of a swing. He might be at a point where he needs to win like Spieth wins, focus more on accuracy instead of distance.
[/quote]

I agree. When I see him with the driver it looks like he is trying to swing out of his shoes.[/quote]

Definitely agree with this - any swing with the driver just looks like a complete lash with an absence of any sort of rhythm. Surely there must be a team that will point this out to him, and given the number of posts here,be they positive or negative, it seems we all sort of want him back.

[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1433616778' post='11701460']
[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1433616603' post='11701454']
Will be playing alone or with a spotter or whatever that term is.
[/quote]

I think the spotter is to watch for his errant tee shots. The marker will be the guy playing with him ;)
[/quote]

Might need more than one spotter. One right, one left, one wide right, one wide left should do it.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='Joebirds55' timestamp='1433641209' post='11703376']
Tiger's body language tells it all. It's one thing to be frustrated at poor play but that constant look he has on his face that he'd prefer to be anywhere other than the golf course is telling in my opinion.

Someone said it earlier that he is lost in the wilderness. That's exactly what his facial expression is telling me.
[/quote]
You comments pose an interesting question. Has tiger ever really loved playing golf, or is it just the adrenaline rush from winning that he was addicted to? I'm sure tiger doesn't hate golf, but as long as I can remember he has been all about winning and competing and dominating. Does tiger actually love playing the game enough to keep plugging away when he knows his best isn't good enough to win? Will his pride allow him to be an also ran? I don't know the answers but I think the questions are relevant.

Im thinking maybe he should redo his driver fitting? Is Blueboard really suited for him? Maybe be should go back to the whiteboard that he had so much sucess with or maybe even something more current. Cant go wrong with a 7.2 TS just sayin

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

[quote name='carrier street' timestamp='1433621775' post='11701792']This is a familiar tale, it's just sad to see it happen to the best in a generation (and there's an argument for ever).

1. Player gets hurt
2. Player swings around injury and develops terrible habits.
3. Player gets physically better, but the mental scars never heal.
4. Player becomes GC analyst.

The moral of the story is if you are injured, STOP and let your body heal, because by the time it does, your mind may very well be broken.[/quote] had a good laugh at number four. "So tiger who do you think is going to be the front runner this week at the 2022 Google tour championship?"

[quote name='hbgpagolfpro' timestamp='1433650333' post='11704062']
[quote name='glk' timestamp='1433646007' post='11703810']
[quote name='hbgpagolfpro' timestamp='1433645371' post='11703774']
[quote name='glk' timestamp='1433626294' post='11702174']
[quote name='bullie76' timestamp='1433618135' post='11701570']
Think about this. Like Tiger, Seve was never a great driver but he only got worse after the age of 40. I know Tiger has been great and many have thought if anyone can recapture the magic, it will be him. I just don't see it. I never have been a Tiger fan, but I admit I hate to see him go out this way.
[/quote]

Tiger was a great driver (combing accuracy and distance he was clearly the best) from 1997-2002 (even was pretty good in 2003 at 62% fairways hit. Wheels came off with Haney and have stayed off and only gotten worse, obviously.
[/quote]

Ummm...no...go and look at his stats. His ball striking under Haney was nothing short of astounding and as a result, his winning percentage was higher under Haney. He won the US Open on a broken leg under Haney, took 9 months off for rehab, then won six events the following season. He was fine...the choke in the PGA vs Yang, and then the scandal is what started the decline.
[/quote]
Talking about his driving and not his iron play,short game, or putting. His decline strted in nj when feel to his knees after hitting his 5 wood.
[/quote]
It was under Haney when he finally switched to a longer driver, and that accounts for the drop in accuracy from the tee. However, his GIR stats are through the roof, which means even when he was missing fairways, he was missing them in the right spot. Therefore, you can't conclude that his ability with the driver was in decline due to Hank Haney.
[/quote]
Tig averaged 71.28% GIR from 1997-2003 From 2004-2010 he average 69.4%.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433645110' post='11703756']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433643812' post='11703624']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1433640165' post='11703292']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433639494' post='11703252']

Who's figjam and Glover? A crime fighting duo?
[/quote]Nice response Hoges :)

I was only going to say that calling those that you obviously have a different viewpoint "pathetic" is a tad personal, especially for a thread in a golf forum, lmao.

Another thing is there are a lot of Great Guys who posted on both sides of the table.

I really don't have feelings one way or the other on Tiger, as he doesn't sign any check that I cash, he can't cure the cancer that I have and I've never even met the guy for chrissakes.

However I would kindly disagree with ya on calling these Guys pathetic, regardless of their views.

A few, misguided, maybe, but pathetic?

Based off of one or two posts in a forum?

Nah, there I'm gonna have to say no dice-

Regardless TMaG, I wish ya the best and hope that you're Havin a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

Richard....you are an astute person based on your use of timely adjectives. ....I won't retract my use of the word......READ MY ENTIRE POST! It's my level of frustration with endless need to dissect,pick through and positively over analyze everything this once great golfer has done.....I've been on this site pretty much since the inception. .....tiger this and tiger that.....barf!

So you can criticize my usage of a harsh word but I'm calling it as I see it.....GET on with LIFE!

Or let's kick the dying dog because he cheated on his wife.....I'm sure everyone here lead perfect,unblemished lives (sarcasm )
[/quote]

I see..

You don't like the direction that certain threads take regarding TW so is rather acceptable to bring out the completely played out, tired, haggard figjam bullxxxx.

Yeah, sounds about right...
[/quote]

Figjam is played out but critiquing Tiger isn't? Touche'

You guys are just the smartest people on the Internet. ....sorry....didn't realize Phil was "off-limits"
[/quote]

Apples to oranges..

Where is it said you can't critique PM?

I'm referring to your passive aggressive usage of "figjam". As if that's ever been accurate to begin with...

I could see if there was copious use of the certain references such as "tigger" or "jose calves" or "eldrick". But we're talking about his on course play. If you feel like referencing PM's over par round to make a point, feel free. We can discuss from there...

[quote name='imrede4glf' timestamp='1433672169' post='11704610']
Nicklaus still thinks he can make it back. I'll go with Nicklaus everytime
[/quote]

To be fair, what else is Nicklaus going to say? He's hardly likely to write Woods off in public, regardless of what he actually thinks. Can you imagine the sh!t storm if he did!?

Then again, a comment from Nicklaus along the lines of "Woods is a hopeless washed up has-been - no way he'll ever beat my record" might actually provide Woods with the drive and motivation he currently appears to be lacking.

[quote name='757USMCVET' timestamp='1433674673' post='11704670']
Im thinking maybe he should redo his driver fitting? Is Blueboard really suited for him? Maybe be should go back to the whiteboard that he had so much sucess with or maybe even something more current. Cant go wrong with a 7.2 TS just sayin
[/quote]

I think it's gonna take a little more than a different shaft to fix what ails Tiger. :lol: When he was good he could have shot a 69 with a ladies set.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1433676863' post='11704730']
[/quote]

To be fair, what else is Nicklaus going to say? He's hardly likely to write Woods off in public, regardless of what he actually thinks. Can you imagine the sh!t storm if he did!?

Then again, a comment from Nicklaus along the lines of "Woods is a hopeless washed up has-been - no way he'll ever beat my record" might actually provide Woods with the drive and motivation he currently appears to be lacking.
[/quote]

don't forget, it takes money to make muirfield village as pristine as it is...it had to come from somewhere. i'm thinking maybe some of it came from the gate receipts of the people that have come over the years to see tiger play. just maybe.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1433677050' post='11704736']
[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1433676863' post='11704730']
[/quote]

[/quote]

don't forget, it takes money to make muirfield village as pristine as it is...it had to come from somewhere. i'm thinking maybe some of it came from the gate receipts of the people that have come over the years to see tiger play. just maybe.
[/quote]

For sure. Another reason why Nicklaus is unlikely to offer any controversial public opinions regarding Woods' current form, or lack thereof.

I was there yesterday. Stood right behind Tiger on the range and overall, he hit it great. But as usual, he went to the first tee and pushed it way right and went downhill from there.

Also had an Urban Meyer sighting. Someone said that he lived on the course. While following Tiger in the 7th fairway I look to my left and here comes Urban through his backyard on to the course. Fans started running up to him to shake his hand. He had to push his way through the people to get to the golf action.

A funny story from the practice range. While Spieth was warming up, Todd Lewis from GC was to the side of the range talking to the camera. Spieth started hitting roughly 40 yard pitch shots that he was trying to bounce off the cart path into Lewis. On his fourth try he hit a perfect bounce shot off the path into the back of Lewis ' legs. Everyone was laughing.

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1433658028' post='11704368']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433636385' post='11702966']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1433634866' post='11702826']
Tiger has a long history of silencing the doubters, I really hope he rubs it in this time.
[/quote]

So there is NOTHING he can do that will allow the reality of the situation to sink in for you here huh? I get he's made come backs from injury before. But to say what you just said requires you to not even glance at the cards he's holding. I get never counting him out. But the suggestion you make, that a return to form is inevitable and is merely a matter of time is an irrational optimism rooted in hope or fond memories. At some point, all he's dealt with psychically and emotionally and simple age catches up. The notion that he will perpetually be able to get back to even a consistently solid player requires a closing of the eyes, a clenched fist, and really really hopeful squint before blowing out the candles.

I appreciate your belief but you have to at least try to mix in a little reality. It's not merely an opinion anymore. He shot 85 at a place he has owned in the past. He claims he's healthy, he claims he's Working hard on the range and he's losing by 20 and is DFL.
[/quote]

In truth, all BS aside, I don't think he's done yet.
[/quote]

He might continue playing and making some cuts. So from that stand point, he may not be done. But as far as be a serious contender......he's done imo.

Perhaps he will continue playing. He can shoot in the 80's and still be a big draw. His true fans will enjoy him no matter what. His haters will watch similar to the one's who watch car racing strictly for the wrecks.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag