Tiger shoots 85.

Qqq123xx

[quote name='jffuller' timestamp='1433640309' post='11703310']
From the ESPN article about Tiger's round today "Nicklaus, 75, had 16 scores in the 80s as a pro, with six of those coming before he turned 40. His highest score was an 85 at the 2003 Masters, when the Golden Bear was 63. His highest scores before turning 40 were a pair of 82s at the 1976 Pebble Beach Pro-am and the 1979 Players Championship at Sawgrass Country Club." Did Tiger look terrible out there today? Of course he did. Is he finished? Only person who knows that is Tiger. Is it an over-reaction by the media in the 24-7 news area? Most likely. But 6 rounds in the 80s before 40 didn't end Jack's career.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but it's not all about the numbers. Jack stayed incredibly healthy, didn't miss big chunks of time due to injury, never screwed with his swing, didn't change coaches and never had the stress of his life and family blowing up in the media.

Those things take a toll. Tiger looks beat up at 39 in a way that Jack never did.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433643812' post='11703624']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1433640165' post='11703292']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433639494' post='11703252']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']
Take this with a grain of salt.....you guys are pathetic! Whether he plays ok or sucks he isn't relevant to today's game due in part to his insatiable desire to "own" his swing rather than just "play" causing many aliments and to add very poor "karma" for being a womanizer and a jerk.....

His game for a 15 year window was/is the best golf we'll see for overall consistency and domination.

However it has passed and Rory, Jordan, Justin and far more important to talk about and discuss.....

FIGJAM and Glover both played poorly but not a peep.....

Let's agree to leave this former great player to "figuring out" his game.

The game is much bigger than any one individual despite his apparent omnipresence believed by some....

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and Justin entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

Who's figjam and Glover? A crime fighting duo?
[/quote]Nice response Hoges :)

I was only going to say that calling those that you obviously have a different viewpoint "pathetic" is a tad personal, especially for a thread in a golf forum, lmao.

Another thing is there are a lot of Great Guys who posted on both sides of the table.

I really don't have feelings one way or the other on Tiger, as he doesn't sign any check that I cash, he can't cure the cancer that I have and I've never even met the guy for chrissakes.

However I would kindly disagree with ya on calling these Guys pathetic, regardless of their views.

A few, misguided, maybe, but pathetic?

Based off of one or two posts in a forum?

Nah, there I'm gonna have to say no dice-

Regardless TMaG, I wish ya the best and hope that you're Havin a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

Richard....you are an astute person based on your use of timely adjectives. ....I won't retract my use of the word......READ MY ENTIRE POST! It's my level of frustration with endless need to dissect,pick through and positively over analyze everything this once great golfer has done.....I've been on this site pretty much since the inception. .....tiger this and tiger that.....barf!

So you can criticize my usage of a harsh word but I'm calling it as I see it.....GET on with LIFE!

Or let's kick the dying dog because he cheated on his wife.....I'm sure everyone here lead perfect,unblemished lives (sarcasm )
[/quote]

I see..

You don't like the direction that certain threads take regarding TW so is rather acceptable to bring out the completely played out, tired, haggard figjam bullxxxx.

Yeah, sounds about right...
[/quote]

Figjam is played out but critiquing Tiger isn't? Touche'

You guys are just the smartest people on the Internet. ....sorry....didn't realize Phil was "off-limits"

[quote name='glk' timestamp='1433626294' post='11702174']
[quote name='bullie76' timestamp='1433618135' post='11701570']
Think about this. Like Tiger, Seve was never a great driver but he only got worse after the age of 40. I know Tiger has been great and many have thought if anyone can recapture the magic, it will be him. I just don't see it. I never have been a Tiger fan, but I admit I hate to see him go out this way.
[/quote]

Tiger was a great driver (combing accuracy and distance he was clearly the best) from 1997-2002 (even was pretty good in 2003 at 62% fairways hit. Wheels came off with Haney and have stayed off and only gotten worse, obviously.
[/quote]

Ummm...no...go and look at his stats. His ball striking under Haney was nothing short of astounding and as a result, his winning percentage was higher under Haney. He won the US Open on a broken leg under Haney, took 9 months off for rehab, then won six events the following season. He was fine...the choke in the PGA vs Yang, and then the scandal is what started the decline.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1433643444' post='11703596']
[quote name='jffuller' timestamp='1433640309' post='11703310']
From the ESPN article about Tiger's round today "Nicklaus, 75, had 16 scores in the 80s as a pro, with six of those coming before he turned 40. His highest score was an 85 at the 2003 Masters, when the Golden Bear was 63. His highest scores before turning 40 were a pair of 82s at the 1976 Pebble Beach Pro-am and the 1979 Players Championship at Sawgrass Country Club." Did Tiger look terrible out there today? Of course he did. Is he finished? Only person who knows that is Tiger. Is it an over-reaction by the media in the 24-7 news area? Most likely. But 6 rounds in the 80s before 40 didn't end Jack's career.
[/quote]

But in between those rounds Jack played well, this is what we are getting from Tiger regularly now.

When was the last time Tiger played four good rounds of golf, 2013? Even in most of those wins it was a crazy low score one round and then a cruise in.
[/quote]

You're not wrong, 2013 was probably the last 4 good rounds, possibly the Players Championship of that year. Bridgestone jumps to mind where he shot the 61 and then cruised the rest of the way. I'd like to think he could right the ship, but his body may not be able to do so. It was a lot to overcome his chipping woes, and we saw some poor shots today, but he clearly still has the ability to adapt. But you begin to wonder if the good shots are occurring in spite of the swing change, not because of it.

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1433644635' post='11703700']
I always love when guys call Tiger classless but they are the first to rub his nose in it when it goes wrong, which is a classless venture all around. Some people need to look in the mirror because hypocrisy is ugly.

The guy could have walked off the course, he could withdraw now, but he didn't and he won't, and the only reason is because of his respect for Jack. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Jack tells him to not worry about playing tomorrow if he doesn't want to, but I bet he does.

Classless indeed.
[/quote]

Where is all the rubbing it in youre referencing? Does anything short of "just one round, no big deal, 25 majors here we come, go Tig!!" qualify? Can it be that fan or no what we're seeing is shocking and worthy of discussion?

And really? Simply NOT QUITTING is a demonstration of class? My God.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

You guys are all being harsh and very critical of Mr. Woods. He's getting close, he's just caught between
release patterns again. Remember at the Waste Management Phoenix Open he was hitting chips thin over
the green with his 4 iron? Now he's chili dipping from the fairway short of the green into the bunker. He
will get it right, just needs more time.

[quote name='hbgpagolfpro' timestamp='1433645371' post='11703774']
Think about this. Like Tiger, Seve was never a great driver but he only got worse after the age of 40. I know Tiger has been great and many have thought if anyone can recapture the magic, it will be him. I just don't see it. I never have been a Tiger fan, but I admit I hate to see him go out this way.
[/quote]

Tiger was a great driver (combing accuracy and distance he was clearly the best) from 1997-2002 (even was pretty good in 2003 at 62% fairways hit. Wheels came off with Haney and have stayed off and only gotten worse, obviously.
[/quote]

Ummm...no...go and look at his stats. His ball striking under Haney was nothing short of astounding and as a result, his winning percentage was higher under Haney. He won the US Open on a broken leg under Haney, took 9 months off for rehab, then won six events the following season. He was fine...the choke in the PGA vs Yang, and then the scandal is what started the decline.
[/quote]
Talking about his driving and not his iron play,short game, or putting. His decline strted in nj when feel to his knees after hitting his 5 wood.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1433646219' post='11703828']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433645506' post='11703790']

Where is all the rubbing it in youre referencing?
[/quote]

I would suggest actually reading the thread before responding to it
[/quote]

i have. Very few posts are malicious or gleeful over this. So what is your definition of rubbing it in? Is it "wow, that was terrible"? Because that's simply calling it like it is. I see very few people saying "Haha! Suck it TW!" and those that do should be ignored a along with the "He's fine! " crowd.

I mean isn't this a huge, golf story, personal feelings completely aside? No criticism, even after that mess, is warranted?

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433646750' post='11703868']

[/quote]

[/quote]

i have. Very few posts are malicious or gleeful over this. So what is your definition of rubbing it in? Is it "wow, that was terrible"? Because that's simply calling it like it is. I see very few people saying "Haha! Suck it TW!" and those that do should be ignored a along with the "He's fine! " crowd.

I mean isn't this a huge, golf story, personal feelings completely aside? No criticism, even after that mess, is warranted?
[/quote]

Not really, a lot of it depends on what he does tomorrow and over the rest of the summer. One round doesn't make or break a career, and I would be saying the same thing if he shot 62.

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1433647134' post='11703894']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1433646750' post='11703868']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really, a lot of it depends on what he does tomorrow and over the rest of the summer. One round doesn't make or break a career, and I would be saying the same thing if he shot 62.
[/quote]

I'm not just talking about today. I mean his overall Performance since his return. He can't drive it, he still isn't very good around or on the greens, and he looks old and disinterested. To say this isn't shocking and a big deal just seems like denial. Acknowledging it's a big deal isn't rubbing it in"

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I've never seen so many eulogies for a person who is still alive.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='glk' timestamp='1433646007' post='11703810']
[quote name='hbgpagolfpro' timestamp='1433645371' post='11703774']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Talking about his driving and not his iron play,short game, or putting. His decline strted in nj when feel to his knees after hitting his 5 wood.
[/quote]
It was under Haney when he finally switched to a longer driver, and that accounts for the drop in accuracy from the tee. However, his GIR stats are through the roof, which means even when he was missing fairways, he was missing them in the right spot. Therefore, you can't conclude that his ability with the driver was in decline due to Hank Haney.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

CBS posted the worst rounds of his career... 79 and above...five or six since 2010 (can't remember if it was 5 or 6), four in last two years, two worst in 2015. Can you see a trend?

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433645110' post='11703756']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433643812' post='11703624']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433640991' post='11703364']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1433639494' post='11703252']
[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1433638285' post='11703144']
Take this with a grain of salt.....you guys are pathetic! Whether he plays ok or sucks he isn't relevant to today's game due in part to his insatiable desire to "own" his swing rather than just "play" causing many aliments and to add very poor "karma" for being a womanizer and a jerk.....

His game for a 15 year window was/is the best golf we'll see for overall consistency and domination.

However it has passed and Rory, Jordan, Justin and far more important to talk about and discuss.....

FIGJAM and Glover both played poorly but not a peep.....

Let's agree to leave this former great player to "figuring out" his game.

The game is much bigger than any one individual despite his apparent omnipresence believed by some....

Ebb and flow of golf say that some 15 year old will be a household name in less than 10 yrs and we'll get on with our golfing lives....until then let Rory,Rickie,Jordan and Justin entertain Us! Cheers.....
[/quote]

Who's figjam and Glover? A crime fighting duo?
[/quote]

Richard....you are an astute person based on your use of timely adjectives. ....I won't retract my use of the word......READ MY ENTIRE POST! It's my level of frustration with endless need to dissect,pick through and positively over analyze everything this once great golfer has done.....I've been on this site pretty much since the inception. .....tiger this and tiger that.....barf!

So you can criticize my usage of a harsh word but I'm calling it as I see it.....GET on with LIFE!

Or let's kick the dying dog because he cheated on his wife.....I'm sure everyone here lead perfect,unblemished lives (sarcasm )
[/quote]

I see..

You don't like the direction that certain threads take regarding TW so is rather acceptable to bring out the completely played out, tired, haggard figjam bullxxxx.

Yeah, sounds about right...
[/quote]

Figjam is played out but critiquing Tiger isn't? Touche'

You guys are just the smartest people on the Internet. ....sorry....didn't realize Phil was "off-limits"
[/quote]LMAO, I swear, I thought FIGJAM was Gary Player, lol

I'm goin to bed-

Nite Gents :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

He wanted to WD but he had read the previous threads here and
figured better to throw down an 85 than WD.

He just knew we couldn't take another comment along the non firing
glutes, mixed up release pattern line. He has to feel awful with Keegan
having given him 9 a side without the WD option and he couldn't
pull it off.

Keegan was just thinking of us, after all. And Tiger; well he had sense
enough not to say anything that would have us mocking him again.
May be the grittiest performance of his career, broken legs notwithstanding.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1433644664' post='11703702']
[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1433627390' post='11702282']
I followed him for 4 or 5 holes yesterday and actually saw him play pretty well during that stretch (2 birdies). The guy just doesn't look right. I've been going to the memorial on and off for 15 years. I went to presidents cup last year. Every time I see tiger play at least 1 hole. He looks different.

I made it a point to simply watch him when he wasn't hitting the ball. He looks like he is in pain. Like constant pain. Maybe he isn't injured and maybe this is just how he is, but he looked like he was in pain. When reading putts, he never bent down. Always squatted with a straight back. To put a tee in the ground he bent down at the waist but always kept a straight back.

I was with a buddy who played college basketball and has pretty bad back problems due to it. He was watching as well and contentiously pointed out when tiger was stretching out his back. It was after virtually every shot. Most of the time he looked like he was just squatting reading a putt but you could visibly see him fidgeting around trying to loosen up.

I don't think we will ever see Tiger on top again. We may see him get back to form and win some tournaments but the guy looks completely fragile and injured. At this point, nothing would surprise me.
[/quote]

This post makes me sad. Hard to imagine that kind of existence.

If you're right, why do you think he's still out there? For the money? The fame? The sponsorship fulfillments?

Or is it just stubbornness?

I know this: if covered by pgatour.com , it will be the most watched internet broadcast of the whole tournament.

Just like at Valhalla last year, I personally will be unable to watch.
[/quote]

It was very interesting to watch. I was on the 8 green standing 15 or so feet from him when he hit a fantastic bunker shot to a foot or two. He struggled to walk out of the bunker. It had a pretty steep face and it was pretty visible that he was almost figuring out how to get out. He hesitated, shuffled his feet, and gingerly walked up the slope. He didn't have a misstep or anything like at the PGA when he threw it out but just generally looked extremely stiff. on the green, while reading his putt, he was leaning way back on his feet while squatting, clearly trying to stretch out his back. When he replaced his ball he bent at a perfect 90* angle keeping his back stiff the entire time.

I stood behind him on the 12 tee and it was more of the same. Watched him play 12, 13, 14 and the first half of 15 and he was walking very upright, very gingerly and simply looked stiff. The easiest way to describe how he looked is like he had to drop a deuce.

One weird thing, and he as the only pro I saw do this (watched 5 or 6 groups go through the 9 green) was he quickly walked off the 9 green into the halfway house while his playing partners were putting out. Could have been a coincidence but after seeing him on the 8 green I thought it was odd.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I've spent as much of Tiger's career pulling for his opponents as for him, but I've always loved what he brought to the game. Hard to explain what I even mean by that - he just brought so much excitement to golf that it was as much fun pulling for the underdogs who beat him as it was watching him completely run away from the field. I don't know if he's the best ever, I really think that's Jack, but I do think the best golf ever televised was the Tiger era. He made golf spectacular. Watching this chapter is hard for sure.

My personal feeling is that if he's just lost his swing or his motivation, he'll be back. He'll never dominate again, but he'll win again, he's just too good and too competitive not to find it. But if it's his back again like some are saying, I think this is probably it. Back problems like that tend to be slowed by surgery, but not cured. With the accusations of faking injuries in recent years and the embarrassing glute comments I think he'll be slow to play the injury card again, but if he is in pain out there, I think we're truly witnessing the end of the era.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

He used to move the needle, then he became the needle. Now he is proving that he is just human like everyone else. Was it Earl, all the women that made him feel powerful enough that he could crush everyone on the course? Was it Butch, Hank or Tiger himself? I don't know, but he ain't what he used to be. The intimidation factor is gone, the best swing in the game is gone, the longest driver in the game is gone and the best putter on the planet is gone. He was a short-game wizard in his prime. He believed he could pull off any shot he faced.

I don't think he believes that anymore, it's like the Samson and Delilah thing. Something that was is strength and power has been taken from him, almost like he woke up and he realized that Earl was the key to Tiger's life and without him, he is toast. Age, injuries and the world seeing that he is no better than anyone else has all caught up with him.

Do I think he'll ever win again, ehh maybe. He'll most likely never win a major again, he might win a lesser event if it's on a course that suits his strengths (not sure what those are now). Tiger has always played the same events - those where he has won before and where he dominates. He rarely, almost never plays tougher, tighter courses like Riveria, Colonial, Hilton Head. No one on the course is intimidated anymore, no one is in awe, heck the media isn't afraid of him anymore.

His money and power kept all the dogs at bay, now he is chum for the sharks with a camera and microphone. Is he DONE? Maybe not, but another 80+ round tomorrow and I bet he skips the US Open. 'Not gonna play until I'm tournament ready'. The only wway to get tournament ready is to PLAY TOURNAMENTS.

I laughed out loud when I watched him quad the 18th and shoot 85. Not because I dislike him, I don't know him. I'm not a fan, but that's because of how he acts. I respect the skill and talent he displayed for years, but to watch him play like any amateur in their league round or Saturday foursome is simply karma. I'm not sure I completely believe it exists, but how else do you explain the truly embarrassing things that have happened to him on the course this year?

To me it is all paybacks for the over exaggerated fist pumps, the swearing, throwing clubs and the "nobody can beat me when I have my A game" attitude. Not to mention all the crap he pulled while married. Nobody's perfect, but his "control" over everyone around him was going to come back and bite him eventually and it is coming full circle.

I'm still waiting for the needle to be moved by someone else. The game is bigger than Tiger and there is more than enough talent and interesting players on Tour that is doesn't 'need' him. I don't miss him when he's not playing and dread all the hype surrounding his latest "return" to the game. He can take his 66 'worst ball' round and go home.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime