2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Vokey SM6's

ksgolf27

Not sure if that has been talked about yet but does anyone have experience yet with how the black finish wears?

es

This is after one range session - I probably hit 20 balls with it. Since it's not plated it is going to show some wear right away. The sole of the club has some black coming off of it too.

The Jet Black is pretty dark so I'm glad it's wearing like it is

Man, PXG wedges and their black finish would never look like that after 20 balls. Titleist = cheap! All kidding aside, I believe the black finish wedges will eventually go to a rust finish as used and the black is removed.

I took it one step further and used CLR to take the black finish off and make it raw. Looks awesome!!!

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if that has been talked about yet but does anyone have experience yet with how the black finish wears?

es

This is after one range session - I probably hit 20 balls with it. Since it's not plated it is going to show some wear right away. The sole of the club has some black coming off of it too.

Man, PXG wedges and their black finish would never look like that after 20 balls. Titleist = cheap! All kidding aside, I believe the black finish wedges will eventually go to a rust finish as used and the black is removed.

I took it one step further and used CLR to take the black finish off and make it raw. Looks awesome!!!

A few guys did that with the black SM5's. Do you have any pics of how they look?

I was never brave enough to do it with my SM5's, plus I like the way the black heads look now that they have been played in (sadly not as much as I would have wanted though due to a few injuries and not being able to play).

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

My golf pro told me that they are gonna be basically the same as the old ones but made to play a little more accurate for better players who want to dial it in! He told me they aren't really worth it for the average player!
What grind and bounce would u guys recommend for medium to firm conditions & digger for 52, 56 and 60?
a higher bounce like 11 or so it helped me!

I'm going to have to call bs here, ya bish

why is that

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

The golf pro I take lessons is on the Titleist Advisory committee and said the grooves are the biggest improvement on the SM6 . That should equate to better chipping and spin control for all levels.

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

Here you go

They look awesome! Looks like the rest of the paint work hasn't been affected at all?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Anyone have any feedback for the M grind in 58/60 degree?

Wasn't for me. Tested both my sm5/ sm4 combo and sm6 52 58 outside on monitor yesterday and no real difference. And my raw heads look and feel better too. So I'm not paying $300 plus for two wedges. Might swap later once my grooves are worn down. But not now. Just don't see any reason to

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

es

That's because pxg is a plating. Which to most wedge buyers is bad. Bad bad. You can strip the black off the vokey and it looks new in raw form for years. Once your pxg wear after a season they look like a** for ever. Just like any chrome wedge does.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Love three of my four new sm6 wedges. Don't like m grind in the 62. Like f in 50 s in 54 and k in 58. Wish I could get a 64 t grind

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Here you go

They look awesome! Looks like the rest of the paint work hasn't been affected at all?

original paint fill completely in tack

They look great. I can't really tell from the photo but I assume they are not now shiny?

And dumb question but since I'm considering doing this to my two sm5s and my sm6, how do you actually do it? Just soak them or is there scrubbing involved? Thanks

I bought some AP1s anout 4 months ago. I got 4-P and a W. I decided to go with a 52.12F and a 56.14F in the SM6. I couldnt play all the short game shots I wanted to with the 56 so I went yesterday and bought a 58.08 M grind. I didnt give the M grind much thought before but after practicing with it on the practice green I really like it alot. I think a 52 and 58 also blends better with my set. I can open the M grind up and play the high soft shot and its also not too bad on partial wedge shots.

Here you go

They look great. I can't really tell from the photo but I assume they are not now shiny?

And dumb question but since I'm considering doing this to my two sm5s and my sm6, how do you actually do it? Just soak them or is there scrubbing involved? Thanks

Tape the hosel with electrical tape

Soak for 45 minutes in CLR

SCrub with Scotch Brite pad in straight lines to not create swirls

Soak again and repeat until Raw

Will not affect the paint fill

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

Here you go

Tape the hosel with electrical tape

Soak for 45 minutes in CLR

SCrub with Scotch Brite pad in straight lines to not create swirls

Soak again and repeat until Raw

Will not affect the paint fill

10 minutes in a CLR bath does the trick even! No need to go longer or overnight.

I had a fitting for the SM6 at the Vokey Wedge Experience yesterday at Cog Hill. After testing out numerous wedges, bounces, and grinds, I ended up settling on the 50.08 f grind, 54.08 m grind, and the 58.08 m grind. This was my first time trying Vokey wedges, as I had a hook up with TMAG for the last few years, and I really loved them. I was put on a Trackman, to figure out my gaps, as I was carrying my PW 130 on average. We then found the right lofts in the wedges, and began to talk grinds. I really thought that I would like the k grind in the 58, but the m grind felt amazing, and felt really good on pitches and chips. All in all it was a great experience, and to top it off, they were selling the wedges for $135 a piece, which was nice.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Why do I love the s grind and hate the m grind. Seems to dig on me. It's the only loft available in 62 too.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Why do I love the s grind and hate the m grind. Seems to dig on me. It's the only loft available in 62 too.

M grind is good for opening the face. Straight face you need to pick it clean. It will dig. I swapped my m for f grind for more forgiveness on shots.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Hate for me on the m grind would be a strong word but like not as well would be right for me. I did some testing at our course with different grinds. I've always been a k grind tvd guy in the 60 and hope it plays the same. As for my 54 I've played the m tvd before and didn't love it. I just tried the s for a round and chipped around the greens a lot with it and really like it. Wondering if I should try it in the 60. I've ordered the 46 F, 50 F, 54 S and 60 k.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Hate for me on the m grind would be a strong word but like not as well would be right for me. I did some testing at our course with different grinds. I've always been a k grind tvd guy in the 60 and hope it plays the same. As for my 54 I've played the m tvd before and didn't love it. I just tried the s for a round and chipped around the greens a lot with it and really like it. Wondering if I should try it in the 60. I've ordered the 46 F, 50 F, 54 S and 60 k.

Pretty tough to beat the S if you're only gonna have one 60

Pretty tough to beat the S if you're only gonna have one 60

I need to try one then. I think there's a demo in the shop

I kinda want to move from my mp-t5 back to the vokeys

Last year I played the 50-54-58 sm5. The 54 and 58 are quite wore.

Wish I could get the 54 in a k grind and I would get the 60 in a M grind for tight work around the greens

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Is S grind good for square faced shots? Looking for grind for a new 58 degree, well, 54, 50 and 46 as well, but was leaning F in the 46 and 50. The concerns about the M digging have my attention. I assume I can open up the face with the S, but play way more shots square with 58 and 54.

I found it really good on short shots. Just popped right up nicely. Very easy to use but I play mostly in medium to soft conditions. Seemed very versatile.

Is S grind good for square faced shots? Looking for grind for a new 58 degree, well, 54, 50 and 46 as well, but was leaning F in the 46 and 50. The concerns about the M digging have my attention. I assume I can open up the face with the S, but play way more shots square with 58 and 54.

Yes that's pretty much how it is designed to play, with slight heel and trailing edge relief. The grind was designed for Stic who plays predominately with a square face

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Do all the 3 finishes "feel" the same? Any of them softer than the others? I have always had black finish ones but trying to decide between the chrome and black this time....

All finishs feel the same to me. Some will swear the Jet Black feels softer because it's finish is baked on and is raw underneath. Both the Tour Chrome and Steel Grey are plated. I personally have always gamed the Chrome.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Played a round with a demo 54s and 58k. I have always used a 56s. I love the 58k. It is super forgiving and like cheating out of bunkers. I can play square or open and even closed for a fried egg...crazy good. I chose the 54s over the f due to lower bounce. I like having a tool to bump and run off a tight lie.

I walked in and bought both after my round.