Jones Bag Users

• 4 weeks later...

> @aiyyer said:

> Curious if you have taken a Jones in a travel bag on the plane? I wish they made a rain cover also after getting trapped in a rainstorm today. Good news is that the Rover help up pretty well!

I’m working on a solution for the first question.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1765177/smaller-travel-bags#latest

• 2 months later...

Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

Anyone else agree?

> @aiyyer said:

> Have you guys tried a Jones in a soft travel bag for air travel and any issues?

> I have a trip planned to Whistling Straits and would love to take the Rover. Just worried the clubs may get damaged in a soft travel bag.

> Thanks

Had posts removed for “commercial restrictions”. Posted on Reddit but haven’t gotten any feedback. Absolutely appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Mikee_j said:

> Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

>

> But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

>

> The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

> The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

>

> Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

>

> I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

>

> Anyone else agree?

I can see what you're saying about some of the issues... I had an Original for a short time, looked pretty cool, but completely useless unless I was actually carrying it... clubs tangled, had to lay it down at the range since they normally do not have stands... I sold it and bought a Utility Stand which I currently use. I started out walking a bunch then wound up riding a lot this year. It's as good as any other bag when riding or walking IMO, but it looks like they are doing away with it?? I love that it fits on my Clicgear whereas the Trouper has the exposed leg mechanism which gives me problems on the push cart... if they don't make the Utility Stand anymore, I may look at something like the Flex Tech Lite. It all depends on what you want the Jones bag for, but I found the Utility Stand to fit my needs... I can see how other models may be more for show, though.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 1 month later...

sorry if this question has been answered but with 21 pages it is hard to read all. How does the player series do riding in a cart? I walk most rounds during the week and practice. Most of my weekends rounds are riding. Is the sides too soft where they slide down or any complaints along those lines? or do they strap in well and remain upright?

> @Mikee_j said:

> Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

>

> But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

>

> The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

> The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

>

> Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

>

> I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

>

> Anyone else agree?

I completely agree. I purchased the Utility Stand bag several years ago sort of knowing what I was getting into with the smaller diameter top. Got it in Pacific Blue and just blown away by how great it looked when it arrived. But then when I put my clubs in the bag I discovered: 1) massive club tangle, and I only carry 12 clubs with standard size grips; 2) the strap system is vastly inferior (for me) to any SM or Ping bags I've had - could never get it adjusted to where the bag would hang in the proper position. And at 5.5 lbs its kind of heavy for a bag with such a small opening. Sold it before it made it out onto the course.

Yet every Black Friday I'm back on the Jones website because they look so nice. However I won't be buying a second one.

Just purchased a new Jones Junior bag for my son. The bag looks spectacular however it has a major design flaw with the grab handle in the middle of the bag. Loaded up with 14 clubs, some balls and tees and go to grab the bag, all the clubs fall out as its overly top heavy. Beautiful bag, but unfortunately a design flaw like this is hard to overlook.

> @Tommyj said:

> > @Mikee_j said:

> > Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

> >

> > But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

> >

> > The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

> > The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

> >

> > Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

> >

> > I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

> >

> > Anyone else agree?

> I completely agree. I purchased the Utility Stand bag several years ago sort of knowing what I was getting into with the smaller diameter top. Got it in Pacific Blue and just blown away by how great it looked when it arrived. But then when I put my clubs in the bag I discovered: 1) massive club tangle, and I only carry 12 clubs with standard size grips; 2) the strap system is vastly inferior (for me) to any SM or Ping bags I've had - could never get it adjusted to where the bag would hang in the proper position. And at 5.5 lbs its kind of heavy for a bag with such a small opening. Sold it before it made it out onto the course.

>

> Yet every Black Friday I'm back on the Jones website because they look so nice. However I won't be buying a second one.

Glad I’m not the only one!

I’ve been trying to sell my utility trouper, but demand is very low for these in the UK and not prepared to sell it for a stupid price.

Going to give it another (and final) chance on the course to see if I can make it work for me. Suspect not, but let’s see. I’ll only be using it for my push cart, not bothering walking with it, but that’s fine as I push 95% of the time.

The players series has been sold and for a great price which is a relief.

How is everyone organising their clubs to minimise tangle with the trouper?

> @Mikee_j said:

> > @Tommyj said:

> > > @Mikee_j said:

> > > Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

> > >

> > > But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

> > >

> > > The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

> > > The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

> > >

> > > Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

> > >

> > > I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

> > >

> > > Anyone else agree?

> > I completely agree. I purchased the Utility Stand bag several years ago sort of knowing what I was getting into with the smaller diameter top. Got it in Pacific Blue and just blown away by how great it looked when it arrived. But then when I put my clubs in the bag I discovered: 1) massive club tangle, and I only carry 12 clubs with standard size grips; 2) the strap system is vastly inferior (for me) to any SM or Ping bags I've had - could never get it adjusted to where the bag would hang in the proper position. And at 5.5 lbs its kind of heavy for a bag with such a small opening. Sold it before it made it out onto the course.

> >

> > Yet every Black Friday I'm back on the Jones website because they look so nice. However I won't be buying a second one.

>

> Glad I’m not the only one!

>

> I’ve been trying to sell my utility trouper, but demand is very low for these in the UK and not prepared to sell it for a stupid price.

>

> Going to give it another (and final) chance on the course to see if I can make it work for me. Suspect not, but let’s see. I’ll only be using it for my push cart, not bothering walking with it, but that’s fine as I push 95% of the time.

>

> The players series has been sold and for a great price which is a relief.

>

> How is everyone organising their clubs to minimise tangle with the trouper?

>

I'm curious, the Trouper has the external pedal to deploy the legs - how can you have club tangle with that design? I've never had a SM bag where tangle has been an issue, I thought it was only with bags that had the hoofer style base like the Utility stand.

> @Tommyj said:

> > @Mikee_j said:

> > > @Tommyj said:

> > > > @Mikee_j said:

> > > > Jones bags in my view are easily the best looking golf bags made (if you ignore the Mackenzie of course).

> > > >

> > > > But now having owned and used the utility trouper stand bag and the players series carry bags they are just not that good to use in a practical sense when comparing to other golf bags out there.

> > > >

> > > > The utility has an awful amount of club tangle and the straps are seriously poor for walking.

> > > > The players series is too long so wedges cannot fit properly (and my wedges are an inch longer).

> > > >

> > > > Just wished they did some more testing of the bags in the real world because they are sadly inferior to sun mountains or Titleist bags for the practical use of a bag.

> > > >

> > > > I want the looks of the Jones, but also it needs to perform... especially for the high price.

> > > >

> > > > Anyone else agree?

> > > I completely agree. I purchased the Utility Stand bag several years ago sort of knowing what I was getting into with the smaller diameter top. Got it in Pacific Blue and just blown away by how great it looked when it arrived. But then when I put my clubs in the bag I discovered: 1) massive club tangle, and I only carry 12 clubs with standard size grips; 2) the strap system is vastly inferior (for me) to any SM or Ping bags I've had - could never get it adjusted to where the bag would hang in the proper position. And at 5.5 lbs its kind of heavy for a bag with such a small opening. Sold it before it made it out onto the course.

> > >

> > > Yet every Black Friday I'm back on the Jones website because they look so nice. However I won't be buying a second one.

> >

> > Glad I’m not the only one!

> >

> > I’ve been trying to sell my utility trouper, but demand is very low for these in the UK and not prepared to sell it for a stupid price.

> >

> > Going to give it another (and final) chance on the course to see if I can make it work for me. Suspect not, but let’s see. I’ll only be using it for my push cart, not bothering walking with it, but that’s fine as I push 95% of the time.

> >

> > The players series has been sold and for a great price which is a relief.

> >

> > How is everyone organising their clubs to minimise tangle with the trouper?

> >

>

> I'm curious, the Trouper has the external pedal to deploy the legs - how can you have club tangle with that design? I've never had a SM bag where tangle has been an issue, I thought it was only with bags that had the hoofer style base like the Utility stand.

Mine is the utility trouper which I’m referring to and had terrible tangle

https://www.jonessportsco.com/collections/stand-bags/products/utility-trouper-black?variant=12679076806709

Few rounds under my belt with the Stripeshow bag and I must say I'm impressed. I've had zero issues with the single strap and carrying has been a breeze. The three way top gives me adequate room for 14 clubs and haven't experienced any club tangle. The all vinyl material looks brand new and I've been playing soggy courses in the northwest.

• 2 weeks later...

> @shortgame85 said:

> (Quote)

>

>

> I agree with you, I think an 8.5" opening with four or five dividers would be more practical for the stand bag. Nonetheless they are the coolest bags I've seen on the market. Still looking for a smaller bag that can adequately hold 14 clubs.

Good points. I was surprised how well all 14 clubs fit but I do sometimes get the grips caught a bit

> @brycefaze said:

> sorry if this question has been answered but with 21 pages it is hard to read all. How does the player series do riding in a cart? I walk most rounds during the week and practice. Most of my weekends rounds are riding. Is the sides too soft where they slide down or any complaints along those lines? or do they strap in well and remain upright?

I'm wondering this same thing. Do they work well for this?

> @bradleybusch92 said:

> > @brycefaze said:

> > sorry if this question has been answered but with 21 pages it is hard to read all. How does the player series do riding in a cart? I walk most rounds during the week and practice. Most of my weekends rounds are riding. Is the sides too soft where they slide down or any complaints along those lines? or do they strap in well and remain upright?

>

> I'm wondering this same thing. Do they work well for this?

I was considering the player series until I read that it's too tall and wedges and putter can basically fall down into the bag. Is that still the case?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > @bradleybusch92 said:

> > > @brycefaze said:

> > > sorry if this question has been answered but with 21 pages it is hard to read all. How does the player series do riding in a cart? I walk most rounds during the week and practice. Most of my weekends rounds are riding. Is the sides too soft where they slide down or any complaints along those lines? or do they strap in well and remain upright?

> >

> > I'm wondering this same thing. Do they work well for this?

>

> I was considering the player series until I read that it's too tall and wedges and putter can basically fall down into the bag. Is that still the case?

I tried to contact them via email about the cart use and it appears that the email listed on their website is not in service. Anybody have any experience with our questions?

Have used Players Series for last two seasons (120+ rounds). Two quick responses to these last few questions:

1. I’ve never had a problem with wedges and putters falling into the bag. Is it possible? Yes. Does it happen? Not to me.

2. It’s not a great bag for a cart IMHO. I probably only ride 5x per year, so not an issue for me, but if I were a 50/50 walker / rider, I’d probably opt for a different bag

Anybody here have a zipper repaired on their Jones by any chance? Had a squirrel bite the zipper off and ruin it bad enough that the valuables pocket zipper is unusable. He also got part of the felt and chewed a hole in that... it's not terrible but the zipper not being functional bothers me... lots of other pockets on this bag so it isn't the end of the world. If I can get it fixed I would like to. I have a backup Utility so I may just put that one in play and forgo the repair but would be good to know who can repair it. Any ideas?

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 1 month later...

Bump. I would also like to hear some feedback.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

I have the Utility Trouper in Gray Twill, and purchased this in November 2019 (I assume this is the 2.0 you are referring to).  I tried forever to find a good review video for it, and didn't have any luck either.

Previously, I was using a 2017 Ping Hoofer 5-way. I walk almost all of my rounds, 50% carry and 50% clicgear push cart. In short, I’m extremely happy with the utility trouper. Here are a couple thoughts:

Pro’s

Weight – The straps are just as easy for me to get on and off as the Hoofer.   They are comfortable and no issue with weight distribution.  I carry 14 clubs almost all of the time with midsize grips, and have never had any club tangle issue. It feels about the same weight as the Hoofer. I’d love to go even smaller, but I cannot get away from using 14 clubs, and I like having the stand.

Organization – There are no unnecessary pockets. Everything seems to have a purpose. I actually like the drawstring ball pocket, as it adds some uniqueness to the bag. Plus, it does have enough space if I am riding in cart and decide to load it up with extra items for the day. 

Looks – I think this is a an awesome combination of a traditional and modern looking bag. I always get compliments on it. I would honestly buy it in 3-4 different colors if my wife wouldn’t kill me for it. Plus, it’s brand indifferent. I’ve always been weird/OCD about having a Ping bag with Callaway irons. That’s probably just me though, most people don’t care about that.

Con’s

I wish there was a dedicated rangefinder pocket. I just clip mine on with the case on the outside of the bag.The stand on the hoofer is probably slightly better. The trouper can move around a little if I do not have it perfectly strapped into the clicgear pushcart.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but I really do not have much negative to say about the bag.

Two questions for those using Jones Original. Looking at the white stripeshow or gray nylon. Any feedback on if people like the nylon better or any issues with durability, water resistant, etc.

Also, do most people put a water bottle in the larger portion of the front pocket? I don’t carry much so figure to put tees, coins, divot tool in a pouch or the small pocket with about 6 balls in the other. Hook the rangefinder case to bag so no issue there.

Appreciate any feedback.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

I’ve carried my utility trouper for a few rounds now and have mixed feelings about it. The club tangle can be a little annoying and I find even with the straps fully extended it carries pretty high up my back. Like another poster mentioned you have to be careful grabbing it by the handle as it is a little top heavy and it carries pretty level so it feels like clubs may come out. Having said that I’ve never have an issue with that yet it just feels different from my Hoofer and Srixon Z four that I had previously. I don’t think there are many bags out there that look better I have gotten used to it now and am very pleased with it.

QMNYQR2UDMP1.jpeg

TI1EZNEIDMLL.jpgI just received my utility trouper and couldn’t be happier with my initial impressions of the bag. I agree that as I’ve adjusted the straps it definitely sits much higher than any bag I’ve used previously. The only trouble that I’m having at the moment is towel placement. I know tough problem to have.