2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443320336' post='12372380']
This was my swing long ago. I was taught this by an old school instructor. Except his key point was to keep it a mainly dominant left arm/right arm along for the ride. This swing was always a club shorter. And the KEY (trust me, thousands of balls) was tension in your upper body. if you had any tension in your wrists, forearms, shoulders, forget it. Your done once you do, and I could never do it consistent enough. I will say, it was the easiest swing I have ever learned.
[/quote]

So how do you swing now so you are not a club shorter?

Another good video

https://youtu.be/h_DVuuStY3Q

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Putting into play what I learned from these videos I hit some of the finest golf shots I ever have this weekend. I also feel that my misses are going to be more controlled and predictable as I work on it.

I'm very excited.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

Nice video on why its so important to not restrict your hip turn in BS and not have that early hip spin in DS that takes away the space. He again sort of concentrates on the good golfer compensation, coming from way behind and "saving it" with a likely hook vs. OTTs like me who just come from the outside but the initial fault is the same in both types of golfers.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1443449514' post='12377760']
Another good video

https://youtu.be/h_DVuuStY3Q
[/quote]

So would it be a good summary that his philosophy is to keep your hands inside - not going towards the ball - so that the clubhead can go out to the ball and around the corner? It seems like most, if not all, of his videos come back to this concept and shows faults - hips not giving you space, hands going towards ball, etc. - that are preventing you from keeping your hands on this inner circle for lack of a better term.

But to be clear, this does conflict with Dan Cs concept that you actually want to have your hands go out to the ball to shallow the shaft? Or, am I misinterpreting one of them? That's why I still think that for someone who is OTT and needs to flatten, the before "wrong" swing is actually what we WANT to feel.

What are your thoughts? Am I way off base?

[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1443463016' post='12379044']
But to be clear, this does conflict with Dan Cs concept that you actually want to have your hands go out to the ball to shallow the shaft? Or, am I misinterpreting one of them? That's why I still think that for someone who is OTT and needs to flatten, the before "wrong" swing is actually what we WANT to feel.

What are your thoughts? Am I way off base?
[/quote]

The way I look at it is based on what the elbows do in the downswing.

If you are OTT then if the right elbow moves diagonally towards the ball then the shaft will shallow.

If someone gets too shallow in the downswing then the right elbow should move more vertically down - someone described it as putting the right elbow in your pocket - rather than towards the ball.

Even with this you still have to get your head round the fact that the club still goes out.

If you are a flipper then you also have to work out how to get the face square to the ball and that may effect your grip and what happens to the wrists.

Just thoughts - still trying out the options.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

[quote name='Kscarguy' timestamp='1443429316' post='12376928'][quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443320336' post='12372380']
This was my swing long ago. I was taught this by an old school instructor. Except his key point was to keep it a mainly dominant left arm/right arm along for the ride. This swing was always a club shorter. And the KEY (trust me, thousands of balls) was tension in your upper body. if you had any tension in your wrists, forearms, shoulders, forget it. Your done once you do, and I could never do it consistent enough. I will say, it was the easiest swing I have ever learned.
[/quote]So how do you swing now so you are not a club shorter?[/quote] More body, less hands and arms. I just had too much tension for this swing to work. When I pulled to hard i put a ton of side spin on it.
I also had problems getting consistent with 1/2 swings. But then again, my instructor had it as a lead arm is in control and trail arm is along for the ride.

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1443463016' post='12379044']But to be clear, this does conflict with Dan Cs concept that you actually want to have your hands go out to the ball to shallow the shaft? [/quote]
My interpretation is that if your hand path is inside, you want your hands to move out to flatten the shaft and get the elbow in front. Think about the reverse loop of Snead, Knudson, etc... I'm not sure that thought would work as well with a more upright swing. Everybody's hands work out - when and how much?
Another thing is that, with forward/side bend, the arms moving off the body are going down - maybe feels more 'out' than it actually is.

[quote]That's why I still think that for someone who is OTT and needs to flatten, the before "wrong" swing is actually what we WANT to feel.

What are your thoughts? Am I way off base?[/quote]
I think a lot depends on what your flaws are. A lot of guys I see in here over-rotate the club on the takeaway and get the trail elbow behind them, so the first move down steepens the shaft. A more vertical takeaway should help to keep the arms in front, so dropping the hands won't get you stuck and steep. I'm sure it will feel steeper, but will be more on plane because you don't steepen in transition.
I'd like to know how Malaska deals with opposite swing faults - from the YT vids, it seems like everything is "3 corners and a flat spot". Do his students get the option of width vs. depth? Lotta different ways to get it done - can they all fit the model?

Anyway, I've used this as a drill and it seems to be helping, particularly with getting the hands to move down and less handle dragging.

Pete Cowan mentions some similar points that Malaska does, regarding opposite forces and also regarding the club falling behind you at the top of the swing

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_2cqErl2HpE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_2cqErl2HpE[/url]

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I have had another range session with this and i am now sure that this is the right way for me too hit the ball. I talked about a loss of distance in an previous post, but i don't think that is severe or not at all. I am getting a lower flight, I hit it very high before, and getting a nice ballflight, slight draw with the irons and a fade with the driver.

Pulls are the issue when I revert to my over the top swing and rotate the club more closed than I did before. But they happen less and less the more I practice.

I recommended a video from rotary golf, which also did talk about the same, but not focusing on keeping the arms close to the body, but more on the rotation of the left arm. So it sems like there are many people talking about the same technique, but using different words, but that is reassuring :)

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443482686' post='12380892']
[quote name='Kscarguy' timestamp='1443429316' post='12376928'][quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443320336' post='12372380']
[/quote]So how do you swing now so you are not a club shorter?[/quote] More body, less hands and arms. I just had too much tension for this swing to work. When I pulled to hard i put a ton of side spin on it.
I also had problems getting consistent with 1/2 swings. But then again, my instructor had it as a lead arm is in control and trail arm is along for the ride.
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to go over all of the 1'st 7 pages of this topic but this seems to be a Jim Hardy One Plane vs 2 Plane Swing debate, with Malaska advocating the 2 Plane model. More upright backswing (and forward swing for that matter)and more timing dependent because you are primarily using your arms/forearms to square the clubface (vs using your body roation on the One Plane). Hardy also states that the 2 Plane swing generates less power than the One Plane, which is consistent with what a few posters have experienced here. Kind of surprised that someone else hasn't brought this up yet.

[quote name='sfong33' timestamp='1443555605' post='12385658']
[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443482686' post='12380892']
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to go over all of the 1'st 7 pages of this topic but this seems to be a Jim Hardy One Plane vs 2 Plane Swing debate, with Malaska advocating the 2 Plane model. More upright backswing (and forward swing for that matter)and more timing dependent because you are primarily using your arms/forearms to square the clubface (vs using your body roation on the One Plane). Hardy also states that the 2 Plane swing generates less power than the One Plane, which is consistent with what a few posters have experienced here. Kind of surprised that someone else hasn't brought this up yet.
[/quote]

I could be wrong but I don't find this swing to be timing dependent at all. I just drop my hands over my right pocket, make sure that I keep the club/head in front of my right shoulder (feel, probably not what is happening) and turn/rotate. No thoughts at all about my hands.

The only timing I see is don't turn until you get your club/head in front of your right shoulder and that isn't too hard or I wouldn't be able to do it.

It really is just bump, dump and turn. The "keep club/head" in front of right shoulder is kind of the "cast" part of the "no turn cast drill" as it forces me to speed up my arms.

I look up and the ball surprisingly is headed down the target line. Love that. It feels kind of magical. I will be getting video soon to see if it looks any different than my old swing. Probably doesn't but it seems to work.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

[quote name='sfong33' timestamp='1443555605' post='12385658'][quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443482686' post='12380892']
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to go over all of the 1'st 7 pages of this topic but this seems to be a Jim Hardy One Plane vs 2 Plane Swing debate, with Malaska advocating the 2 Plane model. More upright backswing (and forward swing for that matter)and more timing dependent because you are primarily using your arms/forearms to square the clubface (vs using your body roation on the One Plane). [b]Hardy also states that the 2 Plane swing generates less power than the One Plane, [/b]which is consistent with what a few posters have experienced here. Kind of surprised that someone else hasn't brought this up yet.[/quote]
What Hardy calls a "one plane swing" is more powerful?

Is this guy one plane or two?
http://youtu.be/jegjfq44tQY

How bout this guy?
http://youtu.be/9tKmNdZVpDE

Jim Hardy, by all accounts, is a wonderful teacher, but some of the conclusions he draws (or his devotees draw) can be questionable. Not sure why Hardy's name entered the conversation - I don't see how this as 1 vs. 2 plane debate at all.

[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1443567173' post='12386824']
[quote name='sfong33' timestamp='1443555605' post='12385658'][quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1443482686' post='12380892']
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to go over all of the 1'st 7 pages of this topic but this seems to be a Jim Hardy One Plane vs 2 Plane Swing debate, with Malaska advocating the 2 Plane model. More upright backswing (and forward swing for that matter)and more timing dependent because you are primarily using your arms/forearms to square the clubface (vs using your body roation on the One Plane). [b]Hardy also states that the 2 Plane swing generates less power than the One Plane, [/b]which is consistent with what a few posters have experienced here. Kind of surprised that someone else hasn't brought this up yet.[/quote]

[media=]http://youtu.be/jegjfq44tQY[/media]

How bout this guy?
[media=]http://youtu.be/9tKmNdZVpDE[/media]

Jim Hardy, by all accounts, is a wonderful teacher, but some of the conclusions he draws (or his devotees draw) can be questionable. Not sure why Hardy's name entered the conversation - I don't see how this as 1 vs. 2 plane debate at all.
[/quote]

Considering Kuchar continues to be the one and only poster child for 1-plane swings I hardly think it's the way to hit it longer. Good thing he can putt a lick or he'd be back on the Web.com.

[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1443567173' post='12386824']
[/quote]

How bout this guy?

[/quote]

I brought the comparison up because Malaska talks about these 2 methods of squaring the clubface in a few of his videos. One is arms/forearm rotation driven and the other is drag the handle and turn hard with your upper body. Malaska advocates the former. Not saying I'm 100% right here, just my interpretation of his method of teaching.

[quote name='sfong33' timestamp='1443574993' post='12387552'][quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1443567173' post='12386824']
[quote name='Kscarguy' timestamp='1443429316' post='12376928'] So how do you swing now so you are not a club shorter?[/quote] More body, less hands and arms. I just had too much tension for this swing to work. When I pulled to hard i put a ton of side spin on it.
[/quote]

How bout this guy?

[/quote]

I brought the comparison up because Malaska talks about these 2 methods of squaring the clubface in a few of his videos. One is arms/forearm rotation driven and the other is drag the handle and turn hard with your upper body. Malaska advocates the former. Not saying I'm 100% right here, just my interpretation of his method of teaching.[/quote]
Fair enough. I didn't catch that part (or didn't remember) where Malaska mentioned squaring the club face with body rotation as an alternative. Ironically, the so-called one plane model is characteristically very shallow (shaft), which is exactly what the tumble counters, getting the shaft steeper and back on plane through impact. (My interpretation, at least)

This kind of talk really confuses me, especially when so many instructors seem to advocate steep to shallow as the Holy Grail and, for instance, you clearly see someone like Justin Rose shallowing in transition. Am I misinterpreting what you mean by the below? Do you have examples of what you mean by shallowing in transition leading to later steepness? Maybe you're not stating as a negative, just a reality.

To be clear, I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you - I certainly don't have enough technical knowledge of the golf swing to argue it either way - just hoping you can expand on your statements.

[quote name='robbohank' timestamp='1443576888' post='12387724']
I agree, a shallow transition typically equates to a steep impact and vice-versa. If you hit if good, a steep transition allows you to shallow it into/thru impact.

I think there's a general feeling that shallow transition means shallow impact. NOT.
[/quote]

[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1443579855' post='12388038']This kind of talk really confuses me, especially when so many instructors seem to advocate steep to shallow as the Holy Grail and, for instance, you clearly see someone like Justin Rose shallowing in transition. Am I misinterpreting what you mean by the below? Do you have examples of what you mean by shallowing in transition leading to later steepness? Maybe you're not stating as a negative, just a reality.

To be clear, I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you - I certainly don't have enough technical knowledge of the golf swing to argue it either way - just hoping you can expand on your statements.

[quote name='robbohank' timestamp='1443576888' post='12387724']
I agree, a shallow transition typically equates to a steep impact and vice-versa. If you hit if good, a steep transition allows you to shallow it into/thru impact.

I think there's a general feeling that shallow transition means shallow impact. NOT.
[/quote][/quote]
Drawing on my vast thimble full of knowledge, the best example I can think of is Sergio. Looking at the swing that starts at :42... at P3, the butt of the shaft is pointed inside the ball... he drops and rotates ccw in transition, so by P5, the shaft is pointed well outside the ball... from there, he steepens the shaft (tumble, if you like) to get back to close to his original shaft plane at impact.
Nothing negative about it. (Hogan did the same thing) If I was paying attention, shallowing in transition helps get the right elbow in front of the body so the arms have room, and the shaft at an angle means there is room for the shaft between your hands and the ground. Steep in transition and the body senses that you're going to hit behind the ball, so you early extend. (Note: angle of attack is completely different)
http://youtu.be/PMlRNJxQ0dY

CrabDaddy,

You are actually correct, Malaska says what most people do is flip with their hands using the flatter backswing of the one plane swing. He didn't offer an alternate non-flip method of squaring the face in his videos, which to me is turning through with your body.

And to clarify (to the other posters) I think Hardy made a generalization regarding the one plane being more powerful than the 2 plane. There are always exceptions of course, especially when you're talking about PGA players. For the average weekend golfer, I think his argument is valid. I have tried both methods and I am about a club shorter with the 2 plane swing.

[quote name='sfong33' timestamp='1443594806' post='12388772']
CrabDaddy,

You are actually correct, Malaska says what most people do is flip with their hands using the flatter backswing of the one plane swing. He didn't offer an alternate non-flip method of squaring the face in his videos, which to me is turning through with your body.

And to clarify (to the other posters) I think Hardy made a generalization regarding the one plane being more powerful than the 2 plane. There are always exceptions of course, especially when you're talking about PGA players. For the average weekend golfer, I think his argument is valid. I have tried both methods and I am about a club shorter with the 2 plane swing.
[/quote]
Unfortunately, all the content I've seen focused on the example of the player who is shallow and stuck coming out of transition (late flip), whether that is by taking the club back flat or shallowing in transition. I keep coming back here to see if anybody has some insight as to whether Mike might prescribe something different for somebody with the opposite problem (steep and stuck = early flip/casting), obviously dependent upon how they get there.
The 1 vs. 2 plane thing has been debated numerous times on here, and this is not the place to have that discussion - this has been a surprisingly civil thread, lol. I will say, though, that the arms don't swing the club without the pivot and the pivot doesn't swing the club without the arms - it's a matter of intent and feel, which will vary with each individual. If a golfer feels that it's all one or the other (and effortless), it probably means the arms and body are in sync. So, Malaska's explanation and feels may be counter-intuitive, but it seems to me the notion of "managing momentum" just means the arms and body are synched up, which can't happen (or unlikely) if the club is much under/over plane. Considering that standing the club up on the corners is a feel, I'm not sure that it will necessarily look any different from somebody considered to have a "one plane" swing.

[quote name='robbohank' timestamp='1443571486' post='12387198']

Considering Kuchar continues to be the one and only poster child for 1-plane swings I hardly think it's the way to hit it longer. Good thing he can putt a lick or he'd be back on the Web.com.
[/quote]Kuchar was 22nd strokes gained tee to green and 33rd in putting. Hardly the numbers of a guy relying on his putting.
We all seem to have a perception of tour players and that always seems to be that the long guys are the great ball strikers. Jim Furyk was 10th in scoring but 115th in strokes gained putting. Maybe that swing is the one to study! :taunt: And by that I mean, of course, to get a swing that repeats and is correct-[b]at impact[/b].

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I found this thread and watched this video. Spent 1 day at the driving range practicing with this drill. Went out a week later and shot my low round of the season, 77, 4 strikes below my hdcp. I also did it from the blue tees on a course (stone creek) that is not my favorite and parred the last 12 holes.

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1443622807' post='12390028']
[/quote]Kuchar was 22nd strokes gained tee to green and 33rd in putting. Hardly the numbers of a guy relying on his putting.
We all seem to have a perception of tour players and that always seems to be that the long guys are the great ball strikers. Jim Furyk was 10th in scoring but 115th in strokes gained putting. Maybe that swing is the one to study! :taunt: And by that I mean, of course, to get a swing that repeats and is correct-[b]at impact[/b].
[/quote]

Good points Shilgy - I was just inferring that one might expect a guy who's 6'4" would be moving it out there further if the 1-plane move was more powerful than the 2. He's ranked 104th in driving distance (although I'd take a 288 average anytime). I'm just down on Kuchar cause he was my first pick in my Fantasy golf league this year and he's been AWOL! :) (My theory is too many Skechers ads this year on top of too many Hawaii ads last year).

I had a chance to play yesterday using Malaska's image and I'd estimate that I picked up a half a club in distance with no degradation in accuracy. I'm anxious to get some video to see if things are less under-plane at transition.

[quote name='robbohank' timestamp='1443642297' post='12391820']
[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1443622807' post='12390028']
[/quote]

Good points Shilgy - I was just inferring that one might expect a guy who's 6'4" would be moving it out there further if the 1-plane move was more powerful than the 2. He's ranked 104th in driving distance (although I'd take a 288 average anytime). I'm just down on Kuchar cause he was my first pick in my Fantasy golf league this year and he's been AWOL! :) (My theory is too many Skechers ads this year on top of too many Hawaii ads last year).

I had a chance to play yesterday using Malaska's image and I'd estimate that I picked up a half a club in distance with no degradation in accuracy. I'm anxious to get some video to see if things are less under-plane at transition.
[/quote]For some reason I had always thought Hardy felt the 2 plane had more potential for distance but the one plane was more consistent. Been a few years since I read it though and quite frankly am too lazy at the moment to go look through the book. Looking at all of the driving stats it does appear that Kuchar swings more "within himself" than most of the others ranked about where he is. He has a longer top carry and a faster "high swing speed" thank do most of the others. Suggests to me that he has chosen consistency over long drives. Oddly enough though he is not terribly accurate either at 76th in fairways hit.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar