2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

^Why would the Seals be so annoyed by him?

Unless he was annoying or disrespectful, isn't the attention and admiration of perhaps the world's most famous athlete a flattering thing?

They probably thought it was cool to have Tiger Woods on base and to be hanging out with him. As long as he didnt overstep his bounds. Definitely gives them a story to entertain their family and friends with.

Their stuff is real world, life and death. I could be wrong but, with their mindset, I doubt they are the giggling fan types.

Not saying they are the giggling fan types, but if you've read books like Lone Survivor you know they are of course intense when they need to be but also cool guys who like to have a good time and joke around when not in battle.

It's not like they walk around with a scowl on their face all the time ready to kill someone.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever and this is just a feeling, but there must have been some palm greasing going on. I just can't see The Navy allowing a civilian to come out and train with their Seals for his personal entertainment.

Maybe once, like the guys flying in a hornet or whatever you see on Inside the PGA Tour from time to time, but on a recurring basis? I just don't think so.

Fascinating read. I've known about a few of these antics with the SEAL teams, but never that he did independent CQD training. Based on the amount of detail in this write-up I bet he has been on the phone with MJ and Notah Begay this week. Scouring the internet comments? Probably not, but hell, maybe reads this forum with the amount of time he has had off.

I know he has had both an easy and tough life. Seems like a very complex individual with the hallmarks of genius. I have always been and will be a Tiger "fan". Matter of fact, I saw him win his very last Tourney and was also at his very last competitive round (both at the Bridgestone) and he seemed genuinely on fire when he won in 2013, and genuinely in pain when he walked off the course on Sunday at the 2014.

I think that enough time has passed for him to make some sort of comeback or at the very least a breakthrough in his life. No matter who you are, time heals all wounds, if you allow it to. After reading this, I think that time might have passed and he can open an Act IV in his life.

Tiger is an odd, odd person.

This pretty much sums it up. It's not extremely sided, bashing or worshiping him. It's just the honest truth. He is an odd dude. He is wired differently. A heck of a lot differently than myself, which is probably the reason why he is "arguably" one of the greatest golfers ever, which is another reason why we will never be able to relate to him.

Fascinating read. I've known about a few of these antics with the SEAL teams, but never that he did independent CQD training. Based on the amount of detail in this write-up I bet he has been on the phone with MJ and Notah Begay this week. Scouring the internet comments? Probably not, but hell, maybe reads this forum with the amount of time he has had off.

I know he has had both an easy and tough life. Seems like a very complex individual with the hallmarks of genius. I have always been and will be a Tiger "fan". Matter of fact, I saw him win his very last Tourney and was also at his very last competitive round (both at the Bridgestone) and he seemed genuinely on fire when he won in 2013, and genuinely in pain when he walked off the course on Sunday at the 2014.

I think that enough time has passed for him to make some sort of comeback or at the very least a breakthrough in his life. No matter who you are, time heals all wounds, if you allow it to. After reading this, I think that time might have passed and he can open an Act IV in his life.

I don't see the "hallmark of a genius thing."

Look, they treated him like gold and for what?

Not a single one can or will have their name or picture in print-

Tiger, for all his wealth and fame, can do nothing for them-

Not a damn thing-

As far as their attitudes, again, they treated him great-

"We're superior to you Bro?"

Picture you walkin onto a Tee with Tiger, Notah and Michael standing there-

You don't think they think they're superior to you?

You don't think across 18 holes that won't come across?

All Type A Alphas have this-

Whether it be in golf, football, hoops, the armed services or the business world, you show me someone who doesn't have that in em and I'll show ya someone who's either full of s*** or they haven't achieved s***-

The key is to know when to turn it on and to turn it off-

I would say that most SEALs are better at that than most Professional Athletes, and pro athletes, at the end of the day, play a game for s**** & giggles(and lots of coin, lol)-

The SEALs??

They Play for Real & for keeps-

They treated him with a lot of respect-

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

I played soccer in college. The saying was respect everyone, fear no one. If I had Tiger on the tee with me, I'd certainly respect his talents, but I won't go peeing my pants in fear over the guy.

The "we're superior, bro" was in result to that poster posturing because his friends were military and that fact somehow demanded superior treatment based on that regard, or that I should bow in deference to them. Sorry, I won't do that.

I'm not going to be afraid of them.

Drn92

Oh Dear God, I love this place!!!!

LMAO, forget gold, this board is platinum, LMAO!!!

The home of 300yd drives, 205yd 7i's, soccer players that tell SEAL'S to "f*** off," from the safety of behind a keyboard and screen and others who fear no man, much less a trained killer, LMAO

Oh Jesus, I've gotta take a break, I just almost spit my iced tea out and KYM'S had nothing to do with it this time, lol

Nothin like a bunch of soccer Playin golfin tough bois, LMAO-

Who needs the SEAL'S????

We just have to turn lose the members of WRX, LMAO

ISIS, you can kiss my white ..............

Wooooooooooooo

Ok, I'm back....

And yes, I can find the door :)

Thanks for having me, you all are the friggin best!!!

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I thought it was a great article. You see very few stories like this anymore in our world of "hot takes" and trollish "click driven" media. I found the article didn't attempt to bash him or praise him, it was as intended to be, a look inside the more private life of Tiger Woods.

A lot of the themes that pop up are things that many have said over the years, he's pretty odd and socially awkward...but can be witty enough to be very likeable in short doses (David Letterman is famous for this too). It's a reason Tiger interviews so well when he's engaged in the interview.

It's like he wanted to be normal but didn't know how to be because he had such a weird upbringing, and then experienced fame at such a young age. The part about him asking Jeter and Jordan how to talk to girls is just classic...I mean he never even really had the formal 18-23 years old years where you just hit on girls in bars...he just had a really "different" life his whole life.

All the money and fame.....It doesn't always make these things better or easier to deal with. I always thought the seals thing was maybe him worrying his life didn't have meaning, wondering if he could have done these things. The article kind of makes it seem that way

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

But why didn't he give Hank Haney a popsicle?

WhyTF didn't Haney act like a man and ask for one???

He's sounds like the typical passive aggressive WRXer, LMAO

Have a nice weekend Bro :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Not a damn thing-

Whether it be in golf, football, hoops, the armed services or the business world, you show me someone who doesn't have that in em and I'll show ya someone who's either full of s*** or they haven't achieved s***-

I would say that most SEALs are better at that than most Professional Athletes, and pro athletes, at the end of the day, play a game for s**** & giggles(and lots of coin, lol)-

The SEALs??

RP

I played soccer in college. The saying was respect everyone, fear no one. If I had Tiger on the tee with me, I'd certainly respect his talents, but I won't go peeing my pants in fear over the guy.

The "we're superior, bro" was in result to that poster posturing because his friends were military and that fact somehow demanded superior treatment based on that regard, or that I should bow in deference to them. Sorry, I won't do that.

I'm not going to be afraid of them.

Drn92

Oh Dear God, I love this place!!!!

LMAO, forget gold, this board is platinum, LMAO!!!

The home of 300yd drives, 205yd 7i's, soccer players that tell SEAL'S to "f*** off," from the safety of behind a keyboard and screen and others who fear no man, much less a trained killer, LMAO

Oh Jesus, I've gotta take a break, I just almost spit my iced tea out and KYM'S had nothing to do with it this time, lol

Nothin like a bunch of soccer Playin golfin tough bois, LMAO-

Who needs the SEAL'S????

We just have to turn lose the members of WRX, LMAO

ISIS, you can kiss my white ..............

Wooooooooooooo

Ok, I'm back....

And yes, I can find the door :)

Thanks for having me, you all are the friggin best!!!

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

Listen, I'm not saying your boys wouldn't punch me in the face and break me in half, because that's exactly what would happen. Sorry that some people will stand for principles even when facing physical intimidation. Firstly, I thank your family members for serving our country. But most of the bragging I've heard of from military people I know has been how their badges have gotten them out of speeding tickets, free drinks, and plenty of girls. For a group distinguished with honor, those aren't the first things I'd be bragging about. Just being in the military and being an a****** doesn't give you ultimate respect. Being a man of virtue, honor, and serving your country does. And I'm sorry, if you're going to demand that your meal gets paid for and whine about it, that's outrageous.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I thought it was a great article. You see very few stories like this anymore in our world of "hot takes" and trollish "click driven" media. I found the article didn't attempt to bash him or praise him, it was as intended to be, a look inside the more private life of Tiger Woods.

A lot of the themes that pop up are things that many have said over the years, he's pretty odd and socially awkward...but can be witty enough to be very likeable in short doses (David Letterman is famous for this too). It's a reason Tiger interviews so well when he's engaged in the interview.

It's like he wanted to be normal but didn't know how to be because he had such a weird upbringing, and then experienced fame at such a young age. The part about him asking Jeter and Jordan how to talk to girls is just classic...I mean he never even really had the formal 18-23 years old years where you just hit on girls in bars...he just had a really "different" life his whole life.

All the money and fame.....It doesn't always make these things better or easier to deal with. I always thought the seals thing was maybe him worrying his life didn't have meaning, wondering if he could have done these things. The article kind of makes it seem that way

I agree with all of this.

The only thing I wish is that any article about Woods could admit that he just liked the booty. There's always this overtone like Earl's death led to his affairs (which he was having before that), or that they had a deeper meaning, or he had an addiction beyond his control.

Guy just wanted to get some, had the means to do so, and did. Like 95% of pro athletes these days. End of story.

I think all we have with Tiger is a Rosebud situation going on.

Dude, everyone has their rosebud. Even you.

It was meant partially as a joke but come on, there are some definite Charles Foster Kane parallels going on in that story.

Agree, and that's what I see this ESPN piece as--a story. Some of it might be insightful, some even truthful. But it's still a narrative. If I went poking around their private life, interviewed people they might have snubbed or ignored or rubbed the wrong way, somehow got access to the candid thoughts of friends and associates I could write an unflattering story about almost anybody.

Listen, I'm not saying your boys wouldn't punch me in the face and break me in half, because that's exactly what would happen. Sorry that some people will stand for principles even when facing physical intimidation. Firstly, I thank your family members for serving our country. But most of the bragging I've heard of from military people I know has been how their badges have gotten them out of speeding tickets, free drinks, and plenty of girls. For a group distinguished with honor, those aren't the first things I'd be bragging about. Just being in the military and being an a****** doesn't give you ultimate respect. Being a man of virtue, honor, and serving your country does. And I'm sorry, if you're going to demand that your meal gets paid for and whine about it, that's outrageous.

It's common courtesy when you're a near billionaire to pick up the tab for some guys who are going out of their way to involve you in stuff that you really have no business doing.

I'm sure they were just shocked that he was such a D.

While the article makes little attempt to bash or lionize Tiger, it still leaves me feeling pretty sad for the guy. Just another example of what money can't do for people, even in unlimited amounts.

I definitely don't feel sad for him, but yes, it does demonstrate what money can't do for people.

I don't get the impression that Tiger has any genuine friends, which probably makes him even more close to his kids, because they know and like him as Dad, not Tiger Woods.

Interesting read. Nothing all that surprising, but got a little more insight into Tiger, which is more than pretty much all the rehash/internet attention Tiger "articles" usually offer.

Nicklaus' record is secure, something I wouldn't have opined even two years ago. Still, I almost might enjoy a resurgent Tiger giving it a good run for awhile.

People are strange, when you're a stranger.

It's common courtesy when you're a near billionaire to pick up the tab for some guys who are going out of their way to involve you in stuff that you really have no business doing.

I mean that just strikes me as a covert contract. Oh we did this, so we're expecting you to do this in return. I dunno. My dad makes bank compared to me, and every time I try to pay my half, he covers me. The one time I was like, so you got this dad? He was like never assume a man's generosity based on his relative worth to you. I do see your point that without all that fame and wealth, they don't give Tiger the chance to play wannabe SEAL.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I agree with all of this.

The only thing I wish is that any article about Woods could admit that he just liked the booty. There's always this overtone like Earl's death led to his affairs (which he was having before that), or that they had a deeper meaning, or he had an addiction beyond his control.

Guy just wanted to get some, had the means to do so, and did. Like 95% of pro athletes these days. End of story.

Yeah for sure he was like a horny teenager i think once he finally figured out how to hook up with people LOL...But i do also very much believe that after his dad died there probably is some truth to the angle that he was looking for something in some of these relationships (some seemed more serious then others, which were just flings)

My guess is he never really knew what it was to have a real relationship. Just no idea what it was supposed to be or feel like. He wanted snippets of them but could never really be himself all the time with any of them. So it's like some of them were part time girlfriends that gave him specific things, even non sexual things. My guess is with Elin he was always "performing" in a sense.

Anyway that's my amateur psych take LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For everyone hollering about the Navy SEAL bill

(1) If Tiger was just trying to fit in and be one of the guys, I'm pretty sure flaunting your wealth and dropping your Amex Black isn't a great way of doing so.

(2) That SEAL that was all butthurt about it can go f*** himself. Be appreciative of someone's generosity but never demand it. Thanks to my dad for that one.

Maybe not an American Express Black card but how about a some cash, after all, how much can lunch at a diner be- Regarding that SEAL and telling him to "f*** himself," knowing Richard's father and having met three of his teammates, and though they are all retired, they all four are in better shape than any pro that I play with and I would love for you to be face to face with one of these men and see you say that to one of them, lolol, much less a younger active duty ultra-high testosterone SEAL, lololol. If that story is true and there is no reason to doubt it, that is a disgrace on a lot of levels. I like Tiger as a player and do not know him as a person however for these men to take the time to bring him into their world, well, to pick up a lunch tab is the least that he or any one of us owes these warriors. I think your father might agree. Have a nice day :) Maddie

But go can the "we're superior than you, bro" talk.

Not a damn thing-

The SEALs??

RP

Hi, I take it that "that poster" was me? I assure that I am not a "his," and my name is Madison and that is indeed me in my avatar, along with a picture or two in Richard's(Forged4ever) avatar. I in no way said that these men demanded "superior treatment" or that you should bow in deference, only that your response of "f*** off," well, aside from being crude, it was uncalled for. Richard had already spoken to who the SEAL was that I referred to and the amazing thing is that in meeting Richard's father you would never ever know of his past. He has never once discussed it with me and I consider us close, or as close as someone can get to him. Be that as it may, no one was asking you to Play the b****, I just felt that he should have picked up their lunch since it was he who came to them and they were doing for him. Regardless, have a nice evening :) Maddie

That's your take and you're entitled to it. My take is if your are having a day, and for Tiger there seems to have been very few of them, where you are just one of the guys then you split the bill. If I go out with friends that are way more wealthy than I then I never think "oh man, you should pay". Wtf, we're just buddies having a meal and a drink or two.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

By the end I felt like it was just another "take TW down a notch" article. I didn't read anything that I would have thought of as a secret.

And the lunch thing, I see like this; TW felt just for a minute that he was a recruit or a young guy sitting with a bunch of buddies who didn't want anything from him but his time. The quote about him being able to go back and see what might have been seems dead-on. But of course, you can't go home again.

I get the impression that being so cheap has nothing to do with being a *****. Seems like he's just testing people to see who's interested in his money. If the money is no big thing, maybe that person could get a little closer to the real Tiger. But, of course money is a thing for almost everybody these days. Who knows.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever and this is just a feeling, but there must have been some palm greasing going on. I just can't see The Navy allowing a civilian to come out and train with their Seals for his personal entertainment.

Maybe once, like the guys flying in a hornet or whatever you see on Inside the PGA Tour from time to time, but on a recurring basis? I just don't think so.

Maybe, but Tiger at his peak was the best advertiser in the world. Couldn't hurt.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Interesting read. It seemed like a back handed slap at Tiger though just done in a different way. If he really didn't pick up the dinner tab after dinner with the SEALS then that is really messed up.

He should have. My bet is that he really wanted to be their friend, be one of them. When you go to lunch with friends, or people who you view on the same level, you share the tab. He spends his whole life with people expecting him to pick up the tab. Sad really.

Share the tab????? Are you in high school??? I'd be embarrassed to say "split checks" as a grown adult. Who ever invited the group picks up the tab. If Tiger was invited to join the group, the bill does not go to Tiger. If the group is large, two people can pick it up for the group. The bill does not go to the person with the deepest pockets. I don't care if I having dinner with Bill Gates. If I invited Bill and his friend Steve Jobs, the bill goes to me.

I thought this was an absolutely fantastic piece of journalism and will likely win a number of awards. I didn't know about Earl's grave, the physics book, insights from SEALs about things like his relationship with Dieter or the infamous dinner. He also seemed to piece together what happened at Isleworth in a manner clearer than I've previously read, and his descriptions of Woods' interactions with women both in private and in public (like the Jeter and Jordan club scene) were fascinating.

This article made me miss the old days of magazines when you would sit down and read something significant once a month. Good stuff.

As far as Tiger not picking up the check, it just depends. For someone in the military to feel entitled is just wrong. It happens a lot these days though. Saying that, I doubt SEALS dine out at a restaurant called "la Posta" very often. If Tiger invited them, then he should have paid. People that have true honor though don't b**** about it afterwards.

Does anyone else think Jordan is a complete tool? I mean, if you can't say something to someone you are supposed to be friends with, then you shouldn't be yapping your mouth off to ESPN in a vain bid to be relevant when you are long past being so. Just my thoughts.

So, less than 24 hours after this article describing him as half dead....Tiger carries drives aver 300 yards on video.

This is funny, and if by any way, Tiger did it on purpose, he's a genius.

Now that i think about it the answer is in the article :

He worries that Tiger is so haunted by his public shaming that he obsesses over it, perhaps sitting up in the middle of the night reading all the things people write and say about him.

"Rabbit Ears," Michael calls him sometimes.

He hears everything

By the end I felt like it was just another "take TW down a notch" article. I didn't read anything that I would have thought of as a secret.

And the lunch thing, I see like this; TW felt just for a minute that he was a recruit or a young guy sitting with a bunch of buddies who didn't want anything from him but his time. The quote about him being able to go back and see what might have been seems dead-on. But of course, you can't go home again.

I get the impression that being so cheap has nothing to do with being a *****. Seems like he's just testing people to see who's interested in his money. If the money is no big thing, maybe that person could get a little closer to the real Tiger. But, of course money is a thing for almost everybody these days. Who knows.

Yeah I'm sure those who passed "the test" got a call from Woods a few weeks later where he sought to continue their friendship.

Please - the guy is just cheap.

Interesting read. It seemed like a back handed slap at Tiger though just done in a different way. If he really didn't pick up the dinner tab after dinner with the SEALS then that is really messed up.

He should have. My bet is that he really wanted to be their friend, be one of them. When you go to lunch with friends, or people who you view on the same level, you share the tab. He spends his whole life with people expecting him to pick up the tab. Sad really.

Share the tab????? Are you in high school??? I'd be embarrassed to say "split checks" as a grown adult. Who ever invited the group picks up the tab. If Tiger was invited to join the group, the bill does not go to Tiger. If the group is large, two people can pick it up for the group. The bill does not go to the person with the deepest pockets. I don't care if I having dinner with Bill Gates. If I invited Bill and his friend Steve Jobs, the bill goes to me.

No I am not in High School. When I go out to eat with friends and colleagues we simply all throw in a card and the bill is shared equally. Pretty common. If we have been having a few cocktails we play credit card roulette. If my boss invites me, he pays. If I go with a pompous a** who insists on paying in some sort of Mad Men power move I probably won't go out with that person again.