2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Muirfield Not Hosting Any Future Opens

stinger_gc

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons quoted on the BBC website is a 'concern about slow play'.........which I take to mean the members wish to continue playing slowly...

Have they not seen how slow the players in the Open are......and they let them play there...

Well good riddance to the 'honerable' company of Edinburgh golfers AKA Old Farts.......

Last I checked there were a number of women only golf clubs in the UK. If the membership wants to operate as a gender only club, that's their business. If Muirfield membership prizes that over the Open, that's their business. I have zero issue with this.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

Last I checked there were a number of women only golf clubs in the UK. If the membership wants to operate as a gender only club, that's their business. If Muirfield membership prizes that over the Open, that's their business. I have zero issue with this.

what if their ONLY policy was NO male Americans that lived in the Florida Panhandle but anyone else on planet Earth was welcome?

Whilst it's a private club and they can do what they want, it's good to see the R&A finally doing the right thing and taking a stand against sexism, which has no place in golf.

Personally I couldn't give a rats that Muirfield has been booted off the rota. There's plenty of other world class links courses in the UK that could take its place. Good riddance I say.

Private club, they set their own rules and should not be penalized for that. The expected over reaction by media (GC) is starting. "Terrible day for golf." Really? The club has operated for over (500?) years. Without this club, we may not have golf.

Yes, they are a private club and can set their own rules. The R&A is also a private club, and the body that runs the Open Championship, and they can set their own rules. Those rules include which clubs may host their championship.

isnt Royal Troon where this years Open is also male only?

**DING DING DING**

Yes, Troon is also male only. In taking a SJW stand, the R&A has stepped on a rake. I really hope Muirfield does not reverse course on this just because the R&A tried to strong-arm them.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Whilst it's a private club and they can do what they want, it's good to see the R&A finally doing the right thing and taking a stand against sexism, which has no place in golf.

Personally I couldn't give a rats that Muirfield has been booted off the rota. There's plenty of other world class links courses in the UK that could take its place. Good riddance I say.

I don't see this as an issue of sexism or discrimination in golf, this is an issue, as you correctly stated, of a private club who is entitled to allow or deny membership to whomever they want. One could make a case that they have discriminated against every single person who has been denied membership for whatever reason.

Private club, they set their own rules and should not be penalized for that. The expected over reaction by media (GC) is starting. "Terrible day for golf." Really? The club has operated for over (500?) years. Without this club, we may not have golf.

Over 250 years. Without checking, I think they were formed in 1759.

Yes, they are a private club and can set their own rules. The R&A is also a private club, and the body that runs the Open Championship, and they can set their own rules. Those rules include which clubs may host their championship.

I'm sure that those who voted nay considered the possibility that they would lose the Open and were ok with it. For all we know, there could be turmoil inside the membership since the nay's were such a small group.

isnt Royal Troon where this years Open is also male only?

**DING DING DING**

Yes, Troon is also male only. In taking a SJW stand, the R&A has stepped on a rake. I really hope Muirfield does not reverse course on this just because the R&A tried to strong-arm them.

They have not stepped on a rake. The R&A policy on this was decided after Troon was awarded this years Open. They choose the venues years in advance.

Well said!

Muirfield, as a private club, has every right to create whatever rules for membership that they wish. The Open Championship has every right to reject Muirfield for their policy banning female membership. As the arc of human history bends toward justice, if not necessarily fairness, I shall choose to patronize those businesses, including golf courses, which suit my sensibilities and cultural aesthetics. Muirfield will not be a part of my rotation. Huzzah to the Open Championship for taking a stand on this issue. I hope the Muirfield membership reaches a super majority in favor of female membership and that the venerable course returns to the Open rotation. But, if not, golf will, in the words of Winston Churchill, “keep buggering on.”

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

Bunch of old fogies living in the past clinging on to their ideals for as long as they can like many UK clubs. . Muirfield is not due the Open again for 7 years or so , they will allow Woman in before then. Times are changing fast . 20-30 years people will find it hard to believe Woman were once barred .

Probably/maybe. But will they allow trans gender members?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

At £230 a green fee ($336) I think it's fair to say that it's not only ladies who are effectively barred from being members at The Honourable Club of Old Farts. :)

Its held major championships, it ain't going to cheap. Its 450+ to play Peable.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I'm sure that most people on this earth wish they could have their actions unencumbered by repercussion . Unfortunately in the real world, we make decisions based on what we think is right at the time, but we all have to face consequences, be they good for us or not. That's just life as a human being. Sure, if Muirfield do not want to allow women in their 'Club', they are free to go down that route, but to say 'that they should not be penalized', is crass. They make their rules, quite right too, but they face the consequences just as we all do with every decision we all make in life I'm afraid.

Muirfield is free to do whatever they want as a private club. The R&A has a role as a governing body that represents ALL golfers. Muirfield isn't entitled to host the open and their policy obviously contradict the values of the R&A. Time will tell if the members of Muirfield made the right choice (or not) for themselves.

One of the reasons quoted on the BBC website is a 'concern about slow play'.........which I take to mean the members wish to continue playing slowly...

Have they not seen how slow the players in the Open are......and they let them play there...

Well good riddance to the 'honerable' company of Edinburgh golfers AKA Old Farts.......

They are not very Honourable, but the old farts are usually fast players.

In the UK, many senior golfers like to whizz around the course in about 3 hours. And not a buggy in sight.

The subtext of this decision is that the old farts will have known clearly that the R&A would remove them from the rota is they voted against, but many of them were quite happy to come off the rota, so may have voted to achieve that outcome.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome