Muirfield Not Hosting Any Future Opens

stinger_gc

It's pretty simple that a club can set its own rules yes, but the R&A might decide those rules don't reflect the core values of their organization, which is in this case inclusiveness it seems. It's within their right to move it too

I have no issue with it. I was at a club once where women weren't allowed to play before 10am and I thought that was a really dumb rule.

People talk about growing the game, women should be an obvious target, but many I know are a bit intimidated as its very male dominated. I think stuff like this sets a good example

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand why this is an issue. There are woman only private golf clubs, colleges, and prep schools all around the globe. It's a private club! Hence the word PRIVATE! They can do what they want. Why does society have to bash them because they are keeping with their tradition. Would I like to see it integrated? Of course, but I won't sit here and say "shame on you" because you won't let woman in. Why doesn't society shame the woman clubs in the same way?

I'll never understand why this is an issue. There are woman only private golf clubs, colleges, and prep schools all around the globe. It's a private club! Hence the word PRIVATE! They can do what they want. Why does society have to bash them because they are keeping with their tradition. Would I like to see it integrated? Of course, but I won't sit here and say "shame on you" because you won't let woman in. Why doesn't society shame the woman clubs in the same way?

A lot of women's only stuff was started because they weren't allowed in the same places men were. It's not necessarily that they wanted it that way.

There are clubs around here that for a long time only admitted Jews. Some people make comments about this being discrimination... But the reason these clubs were started is because many years ago Jews weren't allowed in the other clubs so they were forced to start their own

You'd probably find a lot of the same stories with women's only sites, schools etc

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's only a matter of time, the old farts will pop their clogs and the younger ones will be embarrassed by their membership rules......plus the drop in income they receive for hosting the open or even from having open rota status will hurt them in the pocket not to mention the drop in prestige they will suffer.

This of course could be avoided like Augusta have....just invite a couple of ladies to join who reside a long way from the course and everybody's happy.......

I suspect they will change their mind in the next 7-9 years, in time to have the Open again.

But for now, the membership voted and enough of them (under their rules) decided that they'd rather keep their membership policy than keep the Open. They don't "need" the Open at all. Oh well. No big loss for Muirfield, and not much of a loss for the R&A.

And as I said, based on the vote, I suspect strongly that they will allow ladies as members at some point in the future.

Last I checked there were a number of women only golf clubs in the UK. If the membership wants to operate as a gender only club, that's their business. If Muirfield membership prizes that over the Open, that's their business. I have zero issue with this.

what if their ONLY policy was NO male Americans that lived in the Florida Panhandle but anyone else on planet Earth was welcome?

I wouldn't lose any sleep. A private club should have a lot of leeway with how they are run. If a club doesn't want me, I can find somewhere else to play. There are plenty of clubs in the world that wouldn't let me through the front gate. You think Augusta National has an inclusive membership policy?

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

Muirfield is clearly free to keep their club "Men only". The just won't host an Open Championship as long as they continue to have such a policy.

It's only a matter of time, the old farts will pop their clogs and the younger ones will be embarrassed by their membership rules......plus the drop in income they receive for hosting the open or even from having open rota status will hurt them in the pocket not to mention the drop in prestige they will suffer.

This of course could be avoided like Augusta have....just invite a couple of ladies to join who reside a long way from the course and everybody's happy.......

Bit like the R&A did last year when they changed their membership policy.

There is a very simple solution here. Get Caitlin Jenner as a member. Everybody's happy

Except it looks like Caitlyn is gonna be back to Bruce soon. Good thing he never chopped off his junk.

He was a guy who wanted to dress as a women, but still wanted to bang women. Wonder if he's gonna give back his Arthur Ashe award.

A lot of women's only stuff was started because they weren't allowed in the same places men were. It's not necessarily that they wanted it that way.

There are clubs around here that for a long time only admitted Jews. Some people make comments about this being discrimination... But the reason these clubs were started is because many years ago Jews weren't allowed in the other clubs so they were forced to start their own

You'd probably find a lot of the same stories with women's only sites, schools etc

I can only conclude that you believe that being discriminated against makes it reasonable to discriminate against others. Makes no sense to me.

Private clubs are all discriminating, otherwise they would be public. They pick the members they want by some set of preferences. Employers discriminate when selecting new hires using a variety of preferences such as good grades in school, good performance in previous jobs... If you don't discriminate you are said to have indiscriminate taste. That's not a compliment.

I understand the history of why women started their own clubs, but that was 100 years ago and times have changed on their end too. All I'm saying is, if we're making a big deal for men's only clubs to open the doors to women only, why isn't the reverse said? It's sexism for men to not allow woman into their club, but it's tradition the other way around.

I understand the history of why women started their own clubs, but that was 100 years ago and times have changed on their end too. All I'm saying is, if we're making a big deal for men's only clubs to open the doors to women only, why isn't the reverse said? It's sexism for men to not allow woman into their club, but it's tradition the other way around.

I'm fine with asking women's only clubs to integrate if the men's clubs do. No issue there and I agree

My example of the Jewish clubs in Montreal, many are now integrated with various religions, and all the older clubs allow Jews now. So yes, progress is good on both sides

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I can only conclude that you believe that being discriminated against makes it reasonable to discriminate against others. Makes no sense to me.

Private clubs are all discriminating, otherwise they would be public. They pick the members they want by some set of preferences. Employers discriminate when selecting new hires using a variety of preferences such as good grades in school, good performance in previous jobs... If you don't discriminate you are said to have indiscriminate taste. That's not a compliment.

A good question would be if all men's clubs allowed women, would there still be women's only clubs?

Honestly I don't believe there would be.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

There is a very simple solution here. Get Caitlin Jenner as a member. Everybody's happy

Except it looks like Caitlyn is gonna be back to Bruce soon. Good thing he never chopped off his junk.

He was a guy who wanted to dress as a women, but still wanted to bang women. Wonder if he's gonna give back his Arthur Ashe award.

More like the network wanted to create controversy around an issue to stir up attention for a dying tv show so they paid him to be a woman for two years.

A good question would be if all men's clubs allowed women, would there still be women's only clubs?

Honestly I don't believe there would be.

I definitely think there would be. There are plenty of women's only gyms in existence....and zero men's only gyms. Frankly, if there were more women's only golf clubs, you'd probably see more women playing the game.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

Who really cares when the UK will be ruled by sharia law in the near future perpetuated by the fear of possibly offending someone.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade M1 w/ Fubuki 73x
3W: Taylormade M1 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 73x
Titleist 710 CB 4-6 KBS Tour x
Titleist 710 MB 7-PW KBs Tour x
Vokey Spin Mill 52* and 56*
Vokey SM4 60*
Carbon Ringo Long Neck

Handicap: +0.3

Muirfield, as a private club, has every right to create whatever rules for membership that they wish. The Open Championship has every right to reject Muirfield for their policy banning female membership. As the arc of human history bends toward justice, if not necessarily fairness, I shall choose to patronize those businesses, including golf courses, which suit my sensibilities and cultural aesthetics. Muirfield will not be a part of my rotation. Huzzah to the Open Championship for taking a stand on this issue. I hope the Muirfield membership reaches a super majority in favor of female membership and that the venerable course returns to the Open rotation. But, if not, golf will, in the words of Winston Churchill, “keep buggering on.”

The problem is, where is the line drawn? They are a private members club, so get to set their own rules, but what is the difference between saying black people, or asian people cant be members? Hell they have just ruled out 50% of the worlds population. If thats not discrimination on a spectacular level, I dont know what is. I understand you are not supporting them, but I am literally embarrassed that there is an 'elite' club in this country that still thinks like this.

Makes my blood boil. On the plus side as the old ignorant d**kheads die out, there will be no one to replace them.

Sir Nick Faldo@NickFaldo006 11m11 minutes ago

I fully support Martin Slumbers and the R&A's forward thinking initiatives on inclusiveness and growing the game of golf around the world.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

You can be "discriminating" and still be quite distasteful.

Muirfield followed their bylaws and voted to not allow women to join as members. Women will still be allowed, as they have been, to play as guests.

The R&A removed Muirfield from The Open rotation because of this decision, as is their right.

Whether or not the membership at Muirfield wish to change their minds as a result of this decision is entirely up to them.

Where you stand on this issue is a personal matter. But I don't understand the outrage at any of this. Nobody is breaking any laws or rules here. Two private organizations made their own decisions and this is the result. You can agree with one and respect the others right at the same time.

Muirfield, as a private club, has every right to create whatever rules for membership that they wish. The Open Championship has every right to reject Muirfield for their policy banning female membership. As the arc of human history bends toward justice, if not necessarily fairness, I shall choose to patronize those businesses, including golf courses, which suit my sensibilities and cultural aesthetics. Muirfield will not be a part of my rotation. Huzzah to the Open Championship for taking a stand on this issue. I hope the Muirfield membership reaches a super majority in favor of female membership and that the venerable course returns to the Open rotation. But, if not, golf will, in the words of Winston Churchill, "keep buggering on."

The problem is, where is the line drawn? They are a private members club, so get to set their own rules, but what is the difference between saying black people, or asian people cant be members? Hell they have just ruled out 50% of the worlds population. If thats not discrimination on a spectacular level, I dont know what is. I understand you are not supporting them, but I am literally embarrassed that there is an 'elite' club in this country that still thinks like this.

Makes my blood boil. On the plus side as the old ignorant d**kheads die out, there will be no one to replace them.

Muirfield, as a private club, has every right to create whatever rules for membership that they wish. The Open Championship has every right to reject Muirfield for their policy banning female membership. As the arc of human history bends toward justice, if not necessarily fairness, I shall choose to patronize those businesses, including golf courses, which suit my sensibilities and cultural aesthetics. Muirfield will not be a part of my rotation. Huzzah to the Open Championship for taking a stand on this issue. I hope the Muirfield membership reaches a super majority in favor of female membership and that the venerable course returns to the Open rotation. But, if not, golf will, in the words of Winston Churchill, "keep buggering on."

Sorry you have been offended......You may now return to your safe space were you will not be violently attacked by the words and deeds of others......Perhaps you can ask the government to protect you from this harsh and inhumane treatment.........By the way, as far as your comparison about excluding black members, just google black organizations......

But what bathroom would she use?

Apparently either one it chooses. Do they have "ladies" rooms there?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly