2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Muirfield Not Hosting Any Future Opens

stinger_gc

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thumbs up to the club and its members for taking a stand and a big thumbs down to the Royal and Ancient. Could also be a case of the members not being so fond of a major tournament being held at their course and buggering up their play time for a couple weeks.

From the context of reporting, one of the big assumptions the media seems to be making is that Muirfield is somehow devastated by the loss of the Open. It makes sense that reporting that the club is indifferent or even happy to be off the Open rota would not fit the agenda...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

And if you somehow feel like Muirfied shouldn't be penalized for exercising its rights as a private entity, how do you feel about women being penalized for how they are born? Just food for thought.

I will eat your food.

Do you ever think about how it was second nature for you to characterise a men's only club as penalizing women for being born? Didn't it just feel "right" to place women as the victim?

I was born as a man. I can't join a woman's sporting club, or a knitting club, or a woman's school for that matter. But surely I'm an equal scholar to women? Why won't they admit me? Are they punishing me for how I was born? Am I being oppressed by the matriarchy?

Big thumbs up to the club and its members for taking a stand and a big thumbs down to the Royal and Ancient. Could also be a case of the members not being so fond of a major tournament being held at their course and buggering up their play time for a couple weeks.

From the context of reporting, one of the big assumptions the media seems to be making is that Muirfield is somehow devastated by the loss of the Open. It makes sense that reporting that the club is indifferent or even happy to be off the Open rota would not fit the agenda...

Well, that's the media for you. Of course the membership knew they'd lose the Open if the vote turned out the way it did. It's highly likely the core membership who wield influence at the club are very content with that outcome.

And if you somehow feel like Muirfied shouldn't be penalized for exercising its rights as a private entity, how do you feel about women being penalized for how they are born? Just food for thought.

I was born as a man. I can't join a woman's sporting club, or a knitting club, or a woman's school for that matter. But surely I'm an equal scholar to women? Why won't they admit me? Are they punishing me for how I was born? Am I being oppressed by the matriarchy?

Come on now. There is nothing on the San Antonio Stitch N B!tch website that says you can't join because you're a fella. Why not go along to a meeting and see what the knitters there think of Muirfield's membership policy?

I will eat your food.

Do you ever think about how it was second nature for you to characterise a men's only club as penalizing women for being born? Didn't it just feel "right" to place women as the victim?

I made no such characterization, nor am in any way attacking Muirfield's, or the R&A's, right to choose.Like any sensible person, I feel as if they both can exercise that right. Choices do, however, come with consequences.

Regardless, those last two are questions that you will have to answer for yourself. Do you feel oppressed?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Last I checked there were a number of women only golf clubs in the UK. If the membership wants to operate as a gender only club, that's their business. If Muirfield membership prizes that over the Open, that's their business. I have zero issue with this.

what if their ONLY policy was NO male Americans that lived in the Florida Panhandle but anyone else on planet Earth was welcome?

What part about being a PRIVATE club don't you understand? If you don't like their policies, go build your own golf course and allow male Americans that live in the Florida panhandle.

Not sure what the big deal is here..

When they voted not to let women join the club. The vote also included the US open. They weren't penalized, they voted not to have US open at their course..

You're right that in the grand scheme of golf, it is not a big deal; but it is being made a big deal by the media. The issue I often see with SJWs is that they will not stop until the private entity (Muirfield, in this case) has been prevented from exercising their will. Muirfield merely suffering the consequences for their actions, i.e., losing the Open, is not enough for SJWs. Instead, they want to see Muirfield succumb to the social pressures against their will by allowing women to join the club. "Victory" for SJWs is the oppression of those with whom they disagree.

PXG Darkness Operator

This is one of the rare subjects of my independent type of nature leans toward conservative.

Everyone on the inclusion side of the argument likes to yell that is wrong for a private club (golf, or otherwise) to disallow membership based on gender, race, religion, etc., but they have never once provided a sufficient argument as to why.

If a private golf course wants to allow its membership to be only men, so what? Let them have it.

If a private car club wants to be all female, so what? Let them have it.

If a private art club wants to be all African American, so what? Let them have it.

If a private video game club wants to be all white, so what? Let them have it.

I fail to see how any of these things are cause for the members being considered either immoral, or antiquated. People demanding inclusion often seem to believe they are busting down the doors of discrimination when what they're really accomplishing is the redefinition of what it means to be private which, in my mind, is far more terrifying than allowing the same gender/race/religion of people to have their homogenous associations.

Forced inclusion is as impotent as it is a dangerous concept in the way it pertains to private organization which is the lifeblood of pretty much any civilization which claims capitalism in any sense.

There is nothing wrong with Muirfield remaining a Men's only club just as there is nothing wrong with The Open not being played there because of it.

All that said, the second that any of this touches (or attempts to influence) either public, or governmental domain, all bets are off. In that case, I would be the first in line with my sledgehammer in hand.

I can give you a very practical real world reason why sir.

My daughter has already said to me that she doesn't want to play golf because it scares her that there are so many miserable old men around my Club, and that it's the same at every Course I play. So you see, her impression of Golf is of miserable old men. Who knows, she could be good at the game, and we have lost that potential talent. I'm not going to push her into doing something that she is uncomfortable with, but is it healthy for the game to lose both numbers and talent regardless of gender purely because of the impressions and perceptions that are so rife?

Where the he** do you play.......I think you need to be worried about your course and leave Muirfield alone.

When they voted not to let women join the club. The vote also included the US open. They weren't penalized, they voted not to have US open at their course..

Lol. The hosting of the US Open was never in question, mainly as it's played on a different continent...but I suspect you knew that already.

Muirfield is a great course. Sad we won't see the Open there for at least a little while. Their choice though.

1000 apologies for even obliquely mentioning He Who Must Not Be Named, but does anyone have any sense of what in the world they're going to do about Turnberry? It's ownership situation is much more of a grey area than allowing women or not.

Why is that?

The PGA cancelled an LA tournament because of his course ownership, and there's talk of moving away from Doral too. The R&A has a sticky situation w/r/t awarding Turnberry another Open. I love Turnberry too. IMO it'd be a greater shame to bail on Turnberry on account of a toxic owner than it is to bail on Muirfield on account of the ladies.

Why is it sticky? Many women and minorities have come forward and say they love working for Trump. Listen to what is actually going on not what the Marxists are saying is going on. Totally blown out of proportion and taken out of context. Sounds like you drank the Kooklaid.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

You're right that in the grand scheme of golf, it is not a big deal; but it is being made a big deal by the media. The issue I often see with SJWs is that they will not stop until the private entity (Muirfield, in this case) has been prevented from exercising their will. Muirfield merely suffering the consequences for their actions, i.e., losing the Open, is not enough for SJWs. Instead, they want to see Muirfield succumb to the social pressures against their will by allowing women to join the club. "Victory" for SJWs is the oppression of those with whom they disagree.

Actually a pretty big deal if you ask me.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

It honestly blows my mind that anyone would think there is something wrong with this. This isn't sexism or discrimination. People are entitled to have a private club that allows a certain race, sex or religion in it. It doesn't make them racist or sexist. It is called wanting to socialize with people you relate to. Women can still play at this club.

My kids can't apply for certain scholarships geared to African Americans, is this racist?

I can't go into a women's only gym, is this sexism?

I can never be a member at certain golf clubs because I can't afford it, is the discrimination against my social status?

People need to stop complaining and move on. Muirfield has my respect. They can do what they want.

This world is going to war against the white male and I am sick of it. Other groups can have their private memberships, but not rich white males. It is laughable. Shame on the Golf Channel this morning and other liberal media outlets making this non story a story.

Perfectly said.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2fer day today huh?

Philly Mick gets dinged for insider trading & last to win at Muirfield and Murfield gets kicked out from the Open Rotation.

C'mon one more story, please....

Oh, just spotted this...in 2013 as well.

That's just bad luck..or day...all around.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Actually a pretty big deal if you ask me.

This directly affects such a minuscule percentage of the golfing population that it's hard to quantify just how little this should matter. I just asked my wife, who has no idea of his recent news, if she wanted to join Muirfield. She said no.

Is it now my job to feel oppressed for her...? :dntknw:

PXG Darkness Operator

Its really sad when you have blatant discrimination such as this. 65% of the people there want this changed and the elite all white men are so discriminatory, they turn a blind eye to it.

In case anyone needs a definition

discrimination - the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

This is the classic definition of discrimination. Sorry Muirfield, you lose in more ways than 1.

sad sad sad

So there is discrimination.........There always will be.........If you want to talk about things being sad,sad,sad, a golf course should be very low on the list as far as your sadness.....Why would anyone want to be a member of a club that does not want them......So according to your definition, do you think if any club, team, or organization excludes people based on race age or sex, is guilty of discrimination?

No just the rich white men are wrong. You have to remember this is the same poster that feels the LPGA should be playing for the same amount of money as the PGA and would be if they had the same promotion 50+ years ago. But then that is another subject that was was locked a while back.

Clubs have the right to let in whom they wish. Isn't it Curves fitness that only allows women? That seems to be ok but if LA Fitness or someone wanted a mens only it becomes discriminatory. There are womens golf clubs in the UK and Canada. No outcry that I have ever seen on either. Muirfield has made their decision, for now, and perhaps in time they will decide to change but not for now. The crying about the 65% and not a simple majority is silly imo. Those are the clubs bylaws and are not just to keep women out. The baseball hall of fame needs 75% of voters to get a player in. IS that wrong as well?

you cant fix stupid, that's for sure. Muirfield has dug their grave now,

the falsehoods you peddle is hilarious. your true colors were shown a long time ago along with your sexist nature. its no shock you think Muirfield is right for discriminating..it fits with all your other posts along the way.

Its really sad when you have blatant discrimination such as this. 65% of the people there want this changed and the elite all white men are so discriminatory, they turn a blind eye to it.

discrimination - the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

This is the classic definition of discrimination. Sorry Muirfield, you lose in more ways than 1.

sad sad sad

Just curious to know if I was a graduating high school student and wanted to apply to Bryn Mawr College - an all women's college since 1885 - and wasn't accepted because I'm a man, Is that considered discrimination?

of course

don't forget, 63% of this club voted for the women and a small majority said no......what a joke....the women deserve better

And your point is?........Oh, sorry, i forgot..... You don't answer questions.

huh????

sad sad sad

So there is discrimination.........There always will be.........If you want to talk about things being sad,sad,sad, a golf course should be very low on the list as far as your sadness.....Why would anyone want to be a member of a club that does not want them......So according to your definition, do you think if any club, team, or organization excludes people based on race age or sex, is guilty of discrimination?

No just the rich white men are wrong. You have to remember this is the same poster that feels the LPGA should be playing for the same amount of money as the PGA and would be if they had the same promotion 50+ years ago. But then that is another subject that was was locked a while back.

Clubs have the right to let in whom they wish. Isn't it Curves fitness that only allows women? That seems to be ok but if LA Fitness or someone wanted a mens only it becomes discriminatory. There are womens golf clubs in the UK and Canada. No outcry that I have ever seen on either. Muirfield has made their decision, for now, and perhaps in time they will decide to change but not for now. The crying about the 65% and not a simple majority is silly imo. Those are the clubs bylaws and are not just to keep women out. The baseball hall of fame needs 75% of voters to get a player in. IS that wrong as well?

the falsehoods you peddle is hilarious. your true colors were shown a long time ago along with your sexist nature. its no shock you think Muirfield is right for discriminating..it fits with all your other posts along the way.

You really need to get over this.

sad sad sad

You really need to get over this.

troll much? blocked

sad sad sad

Just curious to know if I was a graduating high school student and wanted to apply to Bryn Mawr College - an all women's college since 1885 - and wasn't accepted because I'm a man, Is that considered discrimination?

of course

don't forget, 63% of this club voted for the women and a small majority said no......what a joke....the women deserve better

And your point is?........Oh, sorry, i forgot..... You don't answer questions.

huh????

No reason to say huh????? It's simple......You won't answer questions.......Huh all you want to.