SRIXON 765 Initial thoughts and pics!

mtex22

who has a combo set

a bunch of us do. what are you looking for?

currently using tmb, 7 handicap, wondering how forgiving these are compared to tmb, ap2, apex forged? wondering where i should cut off the combo set, maybe the 8 iron, then start the combo at the 7 iron?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up a set of 765's with project x lz's 5-pw with a 565 4 iron. Excited to put them up against my t-mb's with the same shafts. I know the feel will be better, interested to see the performance differences.

did u start the comparison, very interested in what you have to say because i have tmb in steelfiber 110stiff

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

Just picked up a set of 765's with project x lz's 5-pw with a 565 4 iron. Excited to put them up against my t-mb's with the same shafts. I know the feel will be better, interested to see the performance differences.

The feel will be forgotten after a few rounds. It's what happens after the novelty wears off that's important. Good clubs, but not sent from heaven....lol

I,in no way assumed these were irons sent from heaven. The thing I liked least about the tmb's was the hollow feel and these feel much better. I don't agree that feel will be forgotten after a few rounds. I love the feel of a well struck forged iron and missed it greatly with the tmb's.

I disagree, I don't think the feeling will wear off. A soft forging strike over a hollow construction T-MB is night and day difference, it can make practice more enjoyable and the reward of a precisely struck shot so much more thrilling. Many people exclusively play blades to chase the feeling of that pure forged strike. T-MB is clicky and super firm in comparison to a 765 or 965. Performance is another matter, but to say the feeling isn't substantially different or that you'd forget about in a week or two, seems off to me.

Enjoy the iron Tigercolt you'll love them. I got some 945 on the way cause Im a poor post-grad student and I preferred the head-shape haha. Team srixon :beach: !

did u demo the tmbs alot to get the feel that they were clicky and super firm, i kinda feel the same way

Distance. Again it was warmer but I think these were 1/2 a club longer on average on the x45s.

Dispersion. This is where they shined.

My set (5-AW) is on order. When I hit on the monitor, I was a 1/2 to a full club longer but I attributed it more to the Modus 120 possibly being a better fitting shaft for me than my current 950s. Smooth as silk. What I really noticed, though, was that I was able to get after it better without getting out of balance. Dispersion-wise, I have never demo'd a set where I had a tighter dispersion. I had a couple of mishits which were short but online but otherwise a baby draw. So, yeah, I didn't need 'em but they were hard to turn down. Hoping there's some decent weather when they show up.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

Yeah, my instructor had always said I swing hard enough for an X, but when fitted (had to travel a distance to find someone in UK that fit Srixon) they put me in the KBS 90.

I hit them good enough, but there is inconsistency. Playing another round tomorrow so should see if it was a one off.

from kbs 90 to 120x? that's a quite a difference. I love the h65 hybrid. I never change adapter setting on my hybrid and wish titelist goes back to glued hosel.

My girl would literally kill me if I bought another set of irons after getting the Apex in August. I love my Apex but man the Srixon's are so beautiful.

I use headcovers so my wife doesn't notice if I'm buying more irons. In general, women look for details. If they only see bunch of black headcovers, they don't give a swhatt what that is.

and I have 5 golf bags to separate the irons so it doesn't look 'full'

Next set will probably be a 565/765 combo set with C-Taper Lite shafts. Hit some on the monitor and loved them. Nice blend of feel and performance. I will need to adjust the lofts by weakening them 1-2*, as they just don't get enough spin for my swing. Cleveland wedges will be a must-have to match the irons!!! ;)

Next set will probably be a 565/765 combo set with C-Taper Lite shafts. Hit some on the monitor and loved them. Nice blend of feel and performance. I will need to adjust the lofts by weakening them 1-2*, as they just don't get enough spin for my swing. Cleveland wedges will be a must-have to match the irons!!! ;)

I'm thinking about ordering a similar set. z565 4-6 and 765 7-PW with CTaper Lite or PX 5.5 LZ. Will probably get the RTX wedges to match.

who has a combo set

currently using tmb, 7 handicap, wondering how forgiving these are compared to tmb, ap2, apex forged? wondering where i should cut off the combo set, maybe the 8 iron, then start the combo at the 7 iron?

I had the srixon 545/745 combo set. Loved them, then got antsy and picked up the TMBs (full set). I played the TMBs for a couple of weeks and just hated them compared to my Srixons (I know there are several on the board who may flame me for saying that). Personally, the TMBs weren't as long (yes, I get the whole beat to death debate about lofts), they felt more "clicky" and when pured they feel nothing like pure'ing my Srixons, and the forgiveness wasn't nearly as good. After moving those, I then picked up the 565/765 combo set (4-6/7-PW). I absolutely love these things. Honestly, I could go the whole set in 765 and I don't think it would be a big difference in terms of losing forgiveness at all. For what it's worth, I'm a 6 handicap and low-mid irons have always been my biggest issue. Hope that helps out a little bit regarding a comparison of the two.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

who has a combo set

I had the srixon 545/745 combo set. Loved them, then got antsy and picked up the TMBs (full set). I played the TMBs for a couple of weeks and just hated them compared to my Srixons (I know there are several on the board who may flame me for saying that). Personally, the TMBs weren't as long (yes, I get the whole beat to death debate about lofts), they felt more "clicky" and when pured they feel nothing like pure'ing my Srixons, and the forgiveness wasn't nearly as good. After moving those, I then picked up the 565/765 combo set (4-6/7-PW). I absolutely love these things. Honestly, I could go the whole set in 765 and I don't think it would be a big difference in terms of losing forgiveness at all. For what it's worth, I'm a 6 handicap and low-mid irons have always been my biggest issue. Hope that helps out a little bit regarding a comparison of the two.

i have the tmb and they are pretty forgiving, but obviously dont feel great. so the 765 and the 565 are both more forgiving and feel better then the tmb? that could be a problem for my wallet again

who has a combo set

i have the tmb and they are pretty forgiving, but obviously dont feel great. so the 765 and the 565 are both more forgiving and feel better then the tmb? that could be a problem for my wallet again

Personally I felt that BOTH were MORE forgiving AND felt better than the TMBs. If head shape is a big deal to you, the 765s all the way through are pretty damn sexy.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

who has a combo set

Low-mid irons are my weakness as well. Hoping my 565/765 combo will help cure that. I have TMB for my 4-5 now and hate them. Feel horrible.

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

so basically im getting rid of my tmbs?

Got fit for these at Club Champion. It was a tough call between these and the 716 CB but for me the misses were so much better with the Srixon than the Titleist. Good strikes were approximately 8-10 yards difference in carry favoring the Srixon but that's probably the lofts. Either way these things feel and look great and offer enough forgiveness to be good on your off days. Can't wait to get them in!

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

i found the cb to be unforgiving. is the 765 more forgiving then the cb

I can let you know tomorrow. 565/765 will be here tomorrow. Plan to take the afternoon off to test if they come in the morning. Never know when the FedEx man will get here.

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

what shaft did u get and what iron did u split the set at

I found there is some forgiveness in the 745 that I play with so i assuming it is the same with the 765s. My 745s the miss hits can punish you. But we a smaller head

i have improved my striking of the ball by smoothing out my swing tempo - this has led to better consistent distances with my irons. Im a slow swinger and anything that helps my strike the ball better maintain consistent yardages is a plus - so moving away from the GI irons to a more tour level iron - my game has improved if that makes sense. And boy when you hit 745/65s flush u just know from the feel and sound that you nailed the shot! Oh and yes i had tried 545s great club but i wanted to get away from the GI type irons and I suppose the aesthetics of the 745s drew me into buying them and their size just brought me back to high school days in the 1980's that all irons were small heads, that we played with.

565: 4-5

765: 6-pw

Modus 120X

thats exactly the set i was looking at . what shaft did u have previous to the 120x, and did u try the 130x

I've got a set of z765 4-PW coming with Modus3 Tour 120s in them (114g) I picked up a set of the z945's with S300's in them and I just can't game a 130g shaft. After I hit the Modus3 120s I'll know better if I need the Modus3 120x or just stay as is. I might still make up a combo set as the z945's are awesome looking and even though I dislike the S300 shafts so much I hit the 9 iron from the set well enough (I've only hit the 9 to test out)

Modus 120X

thats exactly the set i was looking at . what shaft did u have previous to the 120x, and did u try the 130x

I currently have Tour Issue AMT S400 in my TMB/CB combo. I did try the 130 previously, but they launched it too high for me.

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

I've got a set of z765 4-PW coming with Modus3 Tour 120s in them (114g) I picked up a set of the z945's with S300's in them and I just can't game a 130g shaft. After I hit the Modus3 120s I'll know better if I need the Modus3 120x or just stay as is. I might still make up a combo set as the z945's are awesome looking and even though I dislike the S300 shafts so much I hit the 9 iron from the set well enough (I've only hit the 9 to test out)

I think the S300 is 130g uncut. I've read the playing weight is closer to 122g - which I think is still heavier the Modus3 120 stiff and X.

Modus 120X

I currently have Tour Issue AMT S400 in my TMB/CB combo. I did try the 130 previously, but they launched it too high for me.

im trying to launch the ball higher and have only tried the 120x and 120x soft stepped 1x. does the 130 feel similiar but just launch higher?

Modus 120X

im trying to launch the ball higher and have only tried the 120x and 120x soft stepped 1x. does the 130 feel similiar but just launch higher?

Let me see if I can find the thread I saw before saying the 120 was like a PX and the 130 was like a DG shaft. Don't quote me yet as I may have it backwards. I didn't keep the 130 long enough to be able to help much in that way. Sorry man.

EDIT: I read your post wrong initially. I do think they feel similar, but not the same. I don't think the 130 would feel bad, though. How can it?

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

Modus 120X

Per Markheard Jr.

"Modus / Rifle / DG / KBS

120 R / 4.0-4.5 / R200 / KBS Tour R

120 S ssx1 / 4.5-5.0 / R300 / C-Taper Lite R

130 R / 5.0-5.4 / S400 SSx1 / C-Taper Lite R HSx1, Tour V R

120 S / 5.5 / S300 / SSx1 / C-Taper R, C-Taper Lite S SSX1, KBS Tour S

120 X / 6.0-6.4 / S300 / C-taper S+ / KBS Tour X

130 S / 6.3-6.8 / S400 HSx1, X100, X200 SSx1 / Tour V S HSx1

120 TX / 6.5-7.0 / X100 HSx1, X200 / C-Taper X

130 X SSx1 / 7.0-7.1 / DG Tour X7 SSx1 / Tour V 120&125 X

130 X / 7.2+ / X300, DG Tour X7 / C-Taper X

SSx1 = Soft Step 1 timeHSx1 = Hard Step 1 time."

From what I've gathered:

Modus 125 was made for the DG crowd and will be most comparable but with the Nippon feel

Modus 130 is a stout b**** in X, designed for late releases a la Sergio Garcia (plays X), KBS tour V-ish

Modus 120 is its own animal