SRIXON 765 Initial thoughts and pics!

mtex22

Well my 765s came in. All are 1/8" long (aka grip cap), so for anyone reading Srixon custom builds to length without accounting for grip. No big deal. I was just worried about SW

So on to weight. They're 2g lighter in every club except AW vs my Apex CF16. The 765 AW is wedge weight and 6g heavier than the Apex. The PW-4 are lighter and the balance point of the PX seems to be closer to the tip than my modus. So my Apex SW around D6 and the 765 are SW around D4.5ish with my manual scale. I'll get them on a digital scale when I have the L/L checked

My build was +1/2" and up 1* with 1* strong lofts.

Clubs are stunning in real life (id tested on 745s) and I can't wait to hit them

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 565 4 iron and like it. But I still wonder if the 765 would be much different, but it has to be. I want max distance from my 4 iron, so I think the 565 ensures that...I don't really like how big the 765 gets or stays in the short irons. The wedge in the 765 spun on me alot. I think I will just play the 565 maybe up to 6 iron, and then my mizunos 7-pw...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Hit the 765's with Project X 6.5's for the first time today. Unreal, just about the best iron I've ever hit.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

I thought the DST Nippons were more back-weighted than the regular. Hasn't that been an SRI "technology" for a while?

Thats right the NS Pro 980 DST for Srixon have a balance point slightly closer to the butt end of the shaft!

What is the advantage of balance point closer to the butt? Does it give more kick or less? Would it work for slow swing speed players?

Anybody?

Correct me if I am wrong WRX, but having the balance point closer to the butt which is also called counter balancing offers 2 benefits. One, it makes the club head feel lighter and potentially allow for faster swing speed but also at the expense of not feeling the club head as well. Two, allows you to have more mass/wt in the club head for potentially greater distance producing.

I went in for a full bag fitting at Club champion, had no intentions of buying new irons, I've been playing Mizuno 850F since they came out and have been happy with them. My current 6 iron swing speed averages 94, and I was carrying it 185.7, total 193.7 for reference. The first club he handed me was PXG 0311, and that was carrying 210 and felt like butter, but who wants a 6 iron that carries 210? Anyway, they felt great, but no way would I spend that much on irons. He proceeded to hand me club after club, and the very last one I tried was the Z765. All I can say is, wow, never even looked at srixon in the past or thought of giving them a try. Easily the best feeling, most consistent iron I tried. I was fitted into c-taper stiffs, my average carry was 201, 207.5 total. I couldn't believe the performance difference from the 850's, and I was fit for those by a Mizuno rep!

Cant decide between these or the iBlade, maybe even i200. Been a cast user for a long time, currently S56's. But I'm worried about longevity. The 765's are so soft and smooth feeling. The numbers with all 3 of these options are very good with a Modus 105s. a bit better with the 765's. I just dont want to have to replace them in a year cuz they are beat up. Very sandy and rocky in AZ.

I went in for a full bag fitting at Club champion, had no intentions of buying new irons, I've been playing Mizuno 850F since they came out and have been happy with them. My current 6 iron swing speed averages 94, and I was carrying it 185.7, total 193.7 for reference. The first club he handed me was PXG 0311, and that was carrying 210 and felt like butter, but who wants a 6 iron that carries 210? Anyway, they felt great, but no way would I spend that much on irons. He proceeded to hand me club after club, and the very last one I tried was the Z765. All I can say is, wow, never even looked at srixon in the past or thought of giving them a try. Easily the best feeling, most consistent iron I tried. I was fitted into c-taper stiffs, my average carry was 201, 207.5 total. I couldn't believe the performance difference from the 850's, and I was fit for those by a Mizuno rep!

I went to Club Champion two days ago and had the exact same results. Playing the 900 Tours and something was just not right with the shafts I was fitted in. My 6 Iron speed was about 94-96. I was put in a Project X 6.5 with the 765's and my spin and launch angle came back down to around 16-17 degrees and spin was 6200. It was 21 degrees and 6900 with the 900 Tour's. I've always been a huge Mizuno fan, still am, but man those Srixon 765's feel amazing.

I really wanted to like the Project X LZ shafts and they feel great but they just do not work with my swing.

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

Titleist Pro V1

I finally got to take my 765s and RTX 3.0s out to the range yesterday and I fell in love. They jump off the buttery face and fly farther than my Nike VPCs that they replaced. And the RTX wedges...REAL NICE!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I finally got to take my 765s and RTX 3.0s out to the range yesterday and I fell in love. They jump off the buttery face and fly farther than my Nike VPCs that they replaced. And the RTX wedges...REAL NICE!

How was the turf interaction with the 765's and wedges? What sole grind did you end up selecting?

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

Titleist Pro V1

i am not 100% convinced by the AW but the 4-PW are definitely the truth. I might pick up a RTX wedge to replace the AW

This is disappointing to hear. I went with the AW as I'm looking for an "iron" vs. something I'll be using much around the green. What are your gripes with the AW?

It's not like the 4-PW. It is a bladed wedge and weighs the same as a wedge

How could GD hot list give 565s gold and 765s silver. One reviewer said 765s were load and not that long.

Srixon isn't a GD sponsor it seems

It's not like the 4-PW. It is a bladed wedge and weighs the same as a wedge

It almost seemed like the 565 AW looked more like 765 irons..?

I recall having the same thought when looking at the 565 AW against the 765 PW. Looked pretty similar over the top, but the 565 had a slightly larger sole.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Loving these irons. As a general question, has anyone changed the 4 iron for the utility instead.

The 4 is a gorgeous club but wondered about the utility for times when the game isn't as good! Would welcome people's thoughts on forgiveness and distance control on the utility.

I assume you mean the utility iron? Yes, I tried one out. I actually thought it was far less forgiving than the 565 4 iron. I feel like the 4 iron is one of the easiest 4 irons to hit on the market. For a long time I was on a 4 iron hybrid kick, but haven't had that in the bag since I started with the 545s. Just my 2 cents.

How did the Utility compare the 765 four iron, or were you only able to test it out against the 565?

I still felt the 765 was better. However, I also had the stock shaft which was just too darn light and probably not the right fit for me. For whatever reason, the forgiveness was lacking and anything on the toe was death. I had it out for 2 rounds and a regular playing partner of mine on one shot said "I've NEVER seen you hit a shot like that" (and it was not in a good way). But, I do have a buddy who really enjoys his, so I guess like everything, you have to try it for yourself.

I have owned the 23* U65 and 565 4-iron and I prefer the 565 hands down. Easier to hit, better ball flight, and feels far more solid.

If anyone has a good deal source to order some srixon irons for a deal let me know, i got a decent price on my first set, but looking for better. PM me. Thanks!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

What shaft were you coming from in the Nikes?

I was using KBS Tours in the VPCs. I know the Modus is playing a major factor in the distance gain I'm seeing, but the face just seems more solid on the 765s than the VPCs.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I need to order my set here soon. Had a fitting a couple weeks ago and have just been shopping around. I may have to go back to the shop since the shafts they fit me into isn't an option when you look it up on the Srixon website. The Nippon 980 in a xstiff

The Nippon 980GH DST is a shaft specifically designed for Srixon and is only offered in R or S flexes. As a matter of fact, True Temper has the Dynamic Gold DST for Srixon in Asia (it does have an X-Flex), they also have the 950GH DST Nippon. The classic 950GH shaft is made in an X flex, but almost all OEM's do not offer anything but R and S. So, if you were fit into a 980GH DST X-Stiff shaft, I for one, would like to know where that is because I don't think it exists.

The DST I believe stands for "Dual Speed Technology" and is specific to Srixon where they move the balance point of the shaft up toward the grip and generally use heavier iron heads. Theory suggests this creates more consistent loading and contact as well as added speed in the swing for more distance.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star