A Personal History of a Maligned Tour Pro

Christosterone

Great story. One we should all remember and have our kids read. Don't understand the "usual" hate for the guy, I get it, he's pretty raw, and when on the opposing team is the most hated guy in the room. Imagine if he were on the US Ryder Cup team with that record and swagger. Probably have a few different takes on the guy.

Either way, thanks for posting. As an American, his act rubs me wrong every couple years, but when you sit back and take it all in, the guys back story is amazing.

The only reason I have a shred of like for him is his Ryder Cup persona. The way he flaunts his wealth and uses his fame to get people fired from their jobs is repulsive and for that he deserves an incurable case of crabs.

If you are talking about Ted Bishop, as an older gentleman Bishop had no business responding the way that he did. Ted Bishop got Ted Bishop fired. However, it was an over-reaction by Bevaqua and Sprague.

There are others as well, middle class folks.

Great post by the OP - it's neat to see how these guys came up in the world of Golf.

That being said, I have zero respect for Ian Poulter. Every time I picture him, all I see is a man dressed in pink, with spiked gel-filled hair, complaining about something. He's a so-so golfer that shows up once every two years for the Ryder Cup.

Perhaps I'm not giving 'proper' respect to the lad ?

would I be hijacking the thread to ask how the handicap system differs? Or more succinctly, is a 4 in UK better than a 4 in the US?

Yes, only scores shot in tournaments/competitive rounds count for handicap.

Your typical Saturday afternoon rounds with your best buddies don't count.

AKA a proper handicap

What about the blokes who don't play tournament golf, but just want to have a handicap for their Saturday, "screw yer buddy" matches?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Folks,

It is occasionally discouraging to read these threads. I just got done reading a thread about Phil with at least one poster making accusations and tearing him down even as there is a picture in him in the rain singing autographs. Now in this thread we have a guy who has a Walter Mitty story who also is a very outgoing personality and has been a thorn to US fans for years with his Ryder Cup stuff. Then we hear so many negative opinions about the guy. I get it, not everyone likes Poulter, or Mickelson, or Tiger, and none of them are perfect. Some of them are irritating, and some of them do things that make us mad for all kinds of reasons.

But can't we once in a while appreciate who these people are and what they have done with the talent they have? These stories are great to read, and it would be nice if more people got to read them. Maybe some of them would find a little motivation to to make their own lives better because some guy who didn't have all the advantages in life pro golfers supposedly have in their youth made it to the top of their chosen profession.

We live in a time when people have no heroes, no role models, and nobody to look up to. Arnold Palmer is dead; who in this 24 hour media, post anything on the internet you want, true or not world can be someone to look up to anymore in golf? We have a person involved in government calling Beyonce (sp?) a great role model for kids. And some of us want to crank on Ian Poulter?

Folks,

It is occasionally discouraging to read these threads. I just got done reading a thread about Phil with at least one poster making accusations and tearing him down even as there is a picture in him in the rain singing autographs. Now in this thread we have a guy who has a Walter Mitty story who also is a very outgoing personality and has been a thorn to US fans for years with his Ryder Cup stuff. Then we hear so many negative opinions about the guy. I get it, not everyone likes Poulter, or Mickelson, or Tiger, and none of them are perfect. Some of them are irritating, and some of them do things that make us mad for all kinds of reasons.

But can't we once in a while appreciate who these people are and what they have done with the talent they have? These stories are great to read, and it would be nice if more people got to read them. Maybe some of them would find a little motivation to to make their own lives better because some guy who didn't have all the advantages in life pro golfers supposedly have in their youth made it to the top of their chosen profession.

We live in a time when people have no heroes, no role models, and nobody to look up to. Arnold Palmer is dead; who in this 24 hour media, post anything on the internet you want, true or not world can be someone to look up to anymore in golf? We have a person involved in government calling Beyonce (sp?) a great role model for kids. And some of us want to crank on Ian Poulter?

Sometimes one like isn't enough...

Brilliant post..

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Folks,

I'd take Beyonce over Putin hero worship any day. Better get used to it, btw.

But you fail to give people enough credit- we can hold the duality of appreciating Poulter's work ethic while abhorring his whiny, showy, backhanded antics.

And kids have no heroes these days? Um, their parents?!? I'd argue that the access to instantaneous info about any celebrity hero we want to look up has made them seem more like regular people. That's a healthy thing.

Folks,

Poulter is part of an elite group, a Professional Golfer, that people generally hold in much higher esteem than most celebrities and athletes. Poulter on the other hand has used social media to brag about his wealth and generally behave like an abusive thin-skined child. He is petty and is responsible for getting at least two people fired from their jobs via Twitter, including a regular working stiff.

MadGolfer76,

I too suffer from an insufferable case of optimism and often live with my head in the clouds as my wife is wont to say...

But it is from this optimism that our humanity endures...inherent to our genes is a want and need to reach over the next horizon with hope and optimism to guide our dreams and aspirations...

And from these most basic evolutionary instincts born of our genes have we, as a species, slipped the bonds of this good earth and indeed walked upon the surface of the moon...

Now back to Ian Poulter:

I love his pants and shoes :)

-Chris

Optimism is the only reason that I'm still here to ramble and annoy you guys, lol

Hell, the best Physicians/Surgeons in the land had given up.

I don't know that Optimism is the sole reason but when my surgeon said "there's nothing more we can do," and I said "f*** you, get outa my room," I was on my own.

Optimism definitely helped, hahaha

I like Ian, the Twitter squeelling aside, lol.

I didn't like the PGA situation but the other Twitter incident with the moron is the guy's fault.

Stupid is one thing-

Moronic is a totally different game and I would have cut him loose also especially considering the professional position that he had(Healthcare Administrator).

Nice story and thread Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

MadGolfer76,

I too suffer from an insufferable case of optimism and often live with my head in the clouds as my wife is wont to say...

But it is from this optimism that our humanity endures...inherent to our genes is a want and need to reach over the next horizon with hope and optimism to guide our dreams and aspirations...

And from these most basic evolutionary instincts born of our genes have we, as a species, slipped the bonds of this good earth and indeed walked upon the surface of the moon...

Now back to Ian Poulter:

I love his pants and shoes :)

-Chris

Optimism is the only reason that I'm still here to ramble and annoy you guys, lol

Hell, the best Physicians/Surgeons in the land had given up.

I don't know that Optimism is the sole reason but when my surgeon said "there's nothing more we can do," and I said "f*** you, get outa my room," I was on my own.

Optimism definitely helped, hahaha

I like Ian, the Twitter squeelling aside, lol.

I didn't like the PGA situation but the other Twitter incident with the moron is the guy's fault.

Stupid is one thing-

Moronic a totally different game and I would have cut him loose also.

Nice story and thread Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

Richard,

You are a an American treasure....

As always, I'm honored any time u post on my threads!!!

-Christosterone(forever a Forged4Ever acolyte)

Folks,

While I agree whole heartedly with your post regarding tearing people down, I see the world through a totally different view regarding heroes, role models and mentors. My "heros" were my Grandmother(Not as an athlete though she was a 5-Time State Womens' Am Champion) & Step-Grandfather, my Mother & my golf Teacher of 32+ years, who was like a Father to me.

I am not directing this at you at all because I greatly respect your opinions and posts however I just have never, from the time that I was a kid, understood looking up to athletes.

I mean, they are entertainers, nothing more, to me.

That's why I loved what Charles Barkley said regarding role models, heroes yada yada yada.

To say that "we live in a time when people have no heroes, no role models and nobody to look up to" I believe is to greatly and grossly, one, over estimate the value of these athletes in a child's life in particular and society in general and two, greatly minimize those in his/her life who should be their hero, role model, mentor and someone to look up to.

Was Arnold Palmer a Great Man?

Yes, absolutely he was.

However he was a Player, an athlete and an entertainer.

Did he inspire people?

Of course he did. Maddie met a Gentleman at his funeral service who was so inspired by Mr. Palmer that he became the first in his family to go to and graduate college, he is presently a superintendent of a school district out west and he came all the way across the country to stand outside and watch his service on a monitor. Maddie was so moved that she was going to give up her seat so he could sit inside the church however they let him in and he sat with her and my dad. However this man had noone in his life as a youngster to look up to, at least no males, as he told Maddie.

Look, I'm not knocking athletics or athletes. I played football for 17 years at the highest level that one can as an Amateur. Though I did not Play for Pay(there are those cynics that claimed that we were getting paid as D1 Players, though I disagree, haha), I understand peoples' fascination and sometimes obsession with athletes and I can understand if a child does not have strong adults in their lives how they will look outward for that "hero" or role model however I do not think that our world or society is any worse off today than it ever was and I will tell you one thing....

If many of the men who were in their prime in the mid to late 20th century had been in their heyday TODAY, with the press coverage being what it is, as you say, and correctly so, "24 hour coverage," well, all I will say is that These men came of age and Played when the press sat and drank with them and there really was "off the record."

A nod, a wink and what went on on the road, stayed on the road and out of the press.

I'm not saying this to be negative though it is a fact.

So, I just think that we still live in a great world and society, and if a child does not have the environment to provide him/her with heroes, role models and mentors, well, that is not society's fault.

Nah Bro, just because a few guys tee off on ole Ian doesn't mean the world's goin to hell in a crapper.

It's only my .03 worth though I think we're just fine, however I could do with a little less of this PC bulls***, lol.

But hey, we can't have it all :)

Stay well my Friend and excellent post!

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Folks,

But you fail to give people enough credit- we can hold the duality of appreciating Poulter's work ethic while abhorring his whiny, showy, backhanded antics.

And kids have no heroes these days? Um, their parents?!? I'd argue that the access to instantaneous info about any celebrity hero we want to look up has made them seem more like regular people. That's a healthy thing.

They aren't regular people in the strictest sense and knowing the most inane detail of some celebrity instantaneously isn't my idea of time well spent. But we all have our hobbies.

Heroes and heroic are some of the most overused and simultaneously lackluster terms broadbrushing athletes today.

My biggest heroes are everyday people who inspire me without fanfare. Some of them have overcome insurmountable odds or positively impacted those around them without nary a tweet. Epic proportion without prolifond.

Ian's is a nice little story, but he's still kind of a naggy twit to me. Each their own.

Thanks OP for taking he time to share that. I didn't know any of his back story. Seems to explain a few things but I have no problem with him. He's successful and a lot of people hate on that these days. I'm not the biggest fan of his fashion, but that's because I think he goes about it wrong. That and too much pink as others have said.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Folks,

They aren't regular people in the strictest sense and knowing the most inane detail of some celebrity instantaneously isn't my idea of time well spent. But we all have our hobbies.

Heroes and heroic are some of the most overused and simultaneously lackluster terms broadbrushing athletes today.

My biggest heroes are everyday people who inspire me without fanfare. Some of them have overcome insurmountable odds or positively impacted those around them without nary a tweet. Epic proportion without prolifond.

Ian's is a nice little story, but he's still kind of a naggy twit to me. Each their own.

I didn't say that they (sports heroes) are regular people. And of course it's up to each individual to do as much research as they'd like about the people they choose to worship.

But in general, more information is a good thing.

It's great that IJP bootstrapped himself to a high level of play, but in my eyes there are many successful people doing important things in fields that really matter (like science!) to make too big of a fuss over him. And yet, here I am...

Folks,

I didn't say that they (sports heroes) are regular people. And of course it's up to each individual to do as much research as they'd like about the people they choose to worship.

But in general, more information is a good thing.

It's great that IJP bootstrapped himself to a high level of play, but in my eyes there are many successful people doing important things in fields that really matter (like science!) to make too big of a fuss over him. And yet, here I am...

Less is more in my world.

As a Florida resident and a soon-to-be(if not already) dual citizen Ian Poulter is protected by our bill of rights, specifically the first amendment...

So yes, he is qualified to critique anyone thanks to the sensibilities born of our founders who enacted into law the freedom to say whatever he wants about whomever he wants provided he is not inciting violence, fomenting revolution or the like...

-Chris

Who cares... too many big words for a golf forum.

Who knew a thread about Ian Poulter selling clothes would turn into a discussion about the United States Constitution.

Are we also saying that because Arnold Palmer died, there is nobody to look up to and consider a hero? Damn, I didn't know he was that important. And hey buddy, last time I checked my Father is still alive, so I sure do have a hero and somebody to look up to. I am so f*cking sick of these older generations constantly b*tching and moaning about "the world we live in". Its like they have forgotten the unforgivable and horrifying things that took place "back in their day". Give me a god damn break.

So...guy works hard...and gets rewarded. Good post, but a familiar story.

I agree it's rote....

But I am a person who finds interest in who people are beyond the monolithic perceptions of our increasingly divisive culture...

For this thread, I could have easily written the same story about Robert rock…

I will always be humored by his press conference after staring downTiger Woods and Rory McIlroy down the stretch in Dubai and winning…

In the press room after the win, Robert rock was awed and somewhat drained from what had just happened...

And with tears in his eyes he said "three years ago I worked in a pro shop selling Tiger Woods shirts...I had a poster of him of him on my wall...and I just beat him.."

It is these human moments and reminders that golfers are people are just like us that draws interest for me…

And don't for a moment forget his spectacular Bobby Kennedy hair...

Robert Rock is awesome! He's one of my top five favourite touring pros. The epitomy of cool.

Poulter was 'the Ryder Cup' for Europe for years! He basically won the 2012 cup!!

He may come across as a bore to some and he does do the 'look at me' a bit, but under the blowtorch

he was the guy you wanted on your team, he inspired the team, always played above himself and was the most feared opponent for US players.

Pretty good for a nowhereman from his early days! You may not like him but you must respect that!!

Btw, if you havn't ever been a low handicap, an improvement of 8 shots over a 12 month period is unbelievable.

Great post that I wouldn't have expected to read here but glad I did.

• 4 weeks later...

Poulter was 'the Ryder Cup' for Europe for years! He basically won the 2012 cup!!

He may come across as a bore to some and he does do the 'look at me' a bit, but under the blowtorch

he was the guy you wanted on your team, he inspired the team, always played above himself and was the most feared opponent for US players.

Pretty good for a nowhereman from his early days! You may not like him but you must respect that!!

Btw, if you havn't ever been a low handicap, an improvement of 8 shots over a 12 month period is unbelievable.

Great post that I wouldn't have expected to read here but glad I did.

Folks,

I don't think anyone questions his talent or hard work

But I'm from his neck of the woods. You know how everyone has a 'Greg Norman' story? Same with Poults, if even 0.1% of what i've been told is true, its not a pretty picture. There are guys who have done far more with far less, and aren't asshats to go with it.

would I be hijacking the thread to ask how the handicap system differs? Or more succinctly, is a 4 in UK better than a 4 in the US?

Yes, only scores shot in tournaments/competitive rounds count for handicap.

Your typical Saturday afternoon rounds with your best buddies don't count.

In UK/Europe, if you're in a slump, it will take a long time before your bad play really shows. Also you can keep your handicap or lower it with only one or two good rounds per season.

Every shot better than your handicap in a given tournament round will lower your handicap by 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3 and so on depending on your level. A player with a low single digit handicap shoting three strokes better than his hcp will lower his handicap by 0.3. A 25-handicap player shooting three strokes better will lower his handicap with 0.4 per shot, meaning he will be 1.2 down.

On he other hand, shooting worse than your handicap will only increase it with 0.1 no matter how many shots you lost.

This makes the system really slow. You can play bad for several seasons and your handicap will only go up with a couple of strokes. On the other hand, if you play fantastic golf with your pals but cannot perform in competition your handicap will stay the same.

I'm a great example. I played 7 competitive rounds this year. 5 of them were awful and there was a total handicap increasement with 0.5. The sixth round was in the buffer zone (one or two shots too much) and the seventh round was a good one, even par with a 5 stroke allowance. That meant a handicap reduction with 0.5 and I kept my 3.5 handicap through 2016 with just a single good round.

In the UK I think the competitive rounds only rule applies for players of all abilities, in Sweden where I live it only applies when you're at 4.5 or lower. That makes 4.5 somewhat of a treshold. A lot of people gan get to 4.5 by playing a lot of golf with their friends and do reverse sandbagging by only report the good rounds, but you have to play proper golf to get to 4.4 and lower.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

• 4 months later...

Bump due to Ian's need to make $30k this weekend...

-Chris

• 11 months later...