2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

My Champions Tour quest thread-update post 530

On my second hole, had a 20 foot eagle chip and got dizzy and hurled.

Doctor said I was severely dehydrated and chanstized me for even going out there after a second stone...lol.

Very disappointing, but it is what it is.

I made a few mistakes...several actually.

I put so much effort into getting my swing to a point where I had no more big misses to the right (and I succeeded), I neglected my short game, my putting, playing in tournaments, playing more rounds of golf, getting in better physical shape....and likely most importantly, I didn’t eat right which probably contributed to the kidney stones.

Even though my swing is better and more reliable now, I took a step back in other areas that allowed me to make it through first stage last year. I was eating better and played more golf and tournament golf. Won’t make that mistake again.

The eating better is a tough one, but obviously a necessity.

It’s a process no matter what level you’re at.

Apparently, I’ve also neglected my grammar.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put so much effort into getting my swing to a point where I had no more big misses to the right (and I succeeded), I neglected my short game, my putting,

Sounds just like me and I'm a hack. I am striking the ball much better and then squandering it around the green. I re-watched your short game video on my last business trip, this last weekend played two rounds and had a ton of kick ins and chipped in for birdie.

Very disappointing, but it is what it is.

Sorry it didn't work out and I hope you give it a go next year :)

....and likely most importantly, I didn't eat right which probably contributed to the kidney stones. [snip] The eating better is a tough one, but obviously a necessity.

If you take the plunge, you'll like it more than you can imagine.

It's a process no matter what level you're at.

Sigh... I'm just retired and working hard on my swing but every time I think I've made a gain, something else rears its ugly head :(

OT posts in my thread that are allowed.

Hot beverage cart girls or LPGA Tour players

Well? We're waiting...

There are more hot beverage cart girls by a long shot, and that isn't saying much. Waiting on a hot LPGA tour play is right up there with waiting for Godot.

I believe Wonder Woman's last name is spelled Gadot. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It's refreshing to hear someone blame something they actually can control over their results, even though there was something out of your control that made your chances of progressing a near miracle.

It may be a small consolation prize, but you are pretty much worshipped on here, and do everything to deserve that. That alone is a dream for a lot of people on here, so I hope you keep doing what you do so well.

It's refreshing to hear someone blame something they actually can control over their results, even though there was something out of your control that made your chances of progressing a near miracle.

It may be a small consolation prize, but you are pretty much worshipped on here, and do everything to deserve that. That alone is a dream for a lot of people on here, so I hope you keep doing what you do so well.

I agree with you except I wouldn't say "worshipped." I would say "justifiably respected."

I don't plan on shacking up with Monte Koresh and defending our "sister-wives" when the ATF tries to stop the party.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Monte,

I truly believe, even after only spending a couple days with you at a clinic, you have the talent and the intangibles to be great on the Champions tour. I've been to quite a few Sr events in my time and there isn't anyone out there that is better than you from a talent perspective.

The question is how bad do you want it? The golf community is in a far better place. You have given out the "secret sauce" to all those that are savvy to listen and put in the time. It would be the golf community's loss to have you reduce your clinic schedule and any other activities to dedicate to the Champions Tour, but it would be awesome to see you out there! What a breath of fresh air to have someone like you make a huge impact on that tour!

If it's what you really want to do then make the decision and put all your effort in achieving it. You know you can't do it half way.

The best of luck to you, I'd love to be in the gallery following you around! You will always be a Champion in our hearts no matter which way it goes. Just don't abandon the quest feeling you didn't give it your best shot.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Sorry it didn't work out this year, but use this setback as further motivation for next year...I'm a little bummed though, the finals are close to me, was hoping to watch...I guess I'll put away my gel and body/face paint until next time.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

This thread is about one thing.

I make the same mistakes as all of you in trying to get better, just at a higher skill level. I tell all of the people I teach that it’s never about me in my ivory tower looking down at unworthy hacks and saying, “I’m smart, you’re dumb, do what I say.”

It’s about I have made these same mistakes, learn from it and don’t do it yourself. When I was in my 20’s and 30’s I did all of the same tip to tip and flavor of the month swing crack in order to get past the hurdle of second stage.

There were times I was desperate and did really dumb things.

In this case, I hyper focused on one area and neglected others.

If I were putting better, I would have over come the pain and lack of sleep on day 1 to shoot 69-72.

If I were in better physical condition, I would likely have been strong enough to over come being pretty ill.

If I had eaten better, it’s possoble I wouldn’t have had the stone and wouldn’t have had these problems in the first place.

I am the man who jumps in the hole. :-)

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

This thread is about one thing.

I make the same mistakes as all of you in trying to get better, just at a higher skill level. I tell all of the people I teach that it's never about me in my ivory tower looking down at unworthy hacks and saying, "I'm smart, you're dumb, do what I say."

It's about I have made these same mistakes, learn from it and don't do it yourself. When I was in my 20's and 30's I did all of the same tip to tip and flavor of the month swing crack in order to get past the hurdle of second stage.

There were times I was desperate and did really dumb things.

In this case, I hyper focused on one area and neglected others.

If I were putting better, I would have over come the pain and lack of sleep on day 1 to shoot 69-72.

If I were in better physical condition, I would likely have been strong enough to over come being pretty ill.

If I had eaten better, it's possoble I wouldn't have had the stone and wouldn't have had these problems in the first place.

I am the man who jumps in the hole. :-)

[media=]

[/media]

At least now you know the value of one of my ex boss's favourite sayings;

'when your in a hole - stop digging'.

hope your health improves Monte.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

if, buts and maybes'.................we've all done it- move on to the next comp and dump the baggage of what just happened.

Thanks for sharing and good luck next time.

You are looking at this the wrong way.

The ifs and buts is what you apply to happenstance. “If I would have not misclubbed, if that putt would have fallen instead of lipping out, but I got hosed when that drive down the middle hit a sprinkler and went OB.”

This is a discussion of mistakes made and how to over come inadequacies.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Some mistakes can be avoided, some cannot. If you asked every player walking off the 18th green if they left any shots out there, to a man they would all say, "Yes", no matter the level they are playing.

As to inadequacies, we can focus a bit more on those to alleviate them. However, talent does play a role. Just because someone puts a lot of time and effort into this game is no guarantee of success. That individual may never reach a single digit HI. Another individual, just as dedicated, may get down to scratch.

There are a lot of great golfers on the mini-tours, playing D1 golf, etc., who will never make it to the PGA Tour. They all hit the ball long, they are all solid ball strikers. What's the difference? I would call it the "It" factor. It can't be defined. It can't be observed. It can't be measured. It is something that the individual has that allows him to reach the pinnacle. Two people can practice/play piano their entire lives. One ends up at the Julliard, and the other ends up giving lessons to grade school kids.

Golf is a difficult game. I don't think we recreational golfers should define ourselves on how far we hit a golf ball, or what our HI is. We can continue to work hard, but I think it's counter-productive to beat ourselves up if we aren't where we think we should be relative to our games. Some of us, like anything in life, will be more talented than others. It's not anything to get upset about. It's just the way it is.

Getting back to the topic, I hope Monte succeeds in his quest. I never met him, but he strikes me as a very nice man, and it's alway nice to see good people get good things. :-)

One word, Flomax. Not only is it probably a sponsor of the Champions Tour, but it will give those ureters of yours some breathing room for those stones. My wife uses it when she gets stones, and I always joke “is your prostate flaring up?” She’s never thought it was funny. Something about being a moron while she is in excruciating pain doesn’t sit well with her.

I’m sorry your kidneys are x-factoring your golf game.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Dude, you got bad Q school karma. Gonna hire a body guard next year to get you through it.

But from my selfish perspective, this means I'm gonna get down to a 4 next year. But I do want you to make it to the tour so I can come watch you and tell the throng following you, 'that's my boy out there.' I'm gonna get you groupies with long soft hair and sweet smiles.

You know, I kinda think we shouldn't focus on our 'mistakes' at all. It's more like, slowly I am developing a theory of my own swing (with your help) and the key pieces for it. This is true for putting and chipping and pitching as well. I just like to focus on what I am trying to do and just refine it and refine it. It kinda keeps my mood and mental frame in a good place. Somewhere along the line, I stopped fighting the fact that golf is frustrating and began to appreciate this is what makes it fun.

But what do I know? I'm a 7 on a good day. My only claim to fame is I am a kidney stone factory. Just had my third (right when you did) but it took 2 90 minute procedures to remove it. We're gettin old. Swapping kidney stone stories. You young guys who haven't had the kidney stone pleasure... get the hell off my lawn.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I had a kidney stone back in 1994. I couldn't imagine playing any sport with one or having recently passed one. Thankfully it was a one and done incident.

Good luck with your game in 2018.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

You young guys who haven't had the kidney stone pleasure... get the hell off my lawn.

I've had 2 kidney stones in my life...first one I was 20, second one 23. Thank God I haven't had one since, but kidney stones do not discriminate based on your age.

So sorry this happened to you, Monte. I'm glad that you're taking it in stride and treating it as a learning experience, however. Your videos and your input here on this forum have done a tremendous amount to improve my game, and I can't thank you enough.

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Sorry to hear about this bout with kidney stones! That really sucks! I know it also sucks to have to wait around for another shot, but just think that it gives you more time to polish up and whip Bernhard Langer into place when you get out there :bigwhack:

On another note, absolutely love the new site I got details about via email!!!! Can't wait to see the new video! Only one question: Do you know if video content for subscribers will be downloadable to devices like the IPAD/Iphone, etc? Not a big deal if its not, just thought I'd ask.

Sorry to hear about this bout with kidney stones! That really sucks! I know it also sucks to have to wait around for another shot, but just think that it gives you more time to polish up and whip Bernhard Langer into place when you get out there :bigwhack:

On another note, absolutely love the new site I got details about via email!!!! Can't wait to see the new video! Only one question: Do you know if video content for subscribers will be downloadable to devices like the IPAD/Iphone, etc? Not a big deal if its not, just thought I'd ask.

This is why we think what we’re doing is so great.

We will have an app that allows for downloading to devices by January. In the meanwhile, you can access and stream all content on all devices right now.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Is there anyway to just purchase the 2.0 video?

This is why we think what we're doing is so great.

We will have an app that allows for downloading to devices by January. In the meanwhile, you can access and stream all content on all devices right now.

Is there anyway to just purchase the 2.0 video?

This is why we think what we're doing is so great.

2 guys from the site I try for US open playing well. Bad timing with what happened, swing looked ready,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite