The 2017 Farmers Insurance Open Discussion Thread. Welcome back, Tiger!

Frankensteins Monster

Tiger still has more majors than missed cuts, right?

Yes, for the next month or two.

Golf Central last night had him down as this being his 16th so I don't know who's adding up what from when and where but I think that run is over.

Eh, who knows. IMO when he hangs it up that consecutive cuts made streak will be his most mind boggling impressive stat. What was is? Like 140-something? That's one record that'll never be broken. He broke a massive amount of records from previous generations, and the current generation is already starting to chip away at his records here and there, but I don't see anyone ever again making anywhere near that many cuts in a row. Just an impossible achievement.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger still has more majors than missed cuts, right?

Yes, for the next month or two.

Golf Central last night had him down as this being his 16th so I don't know who's adding up what from when and where but I think that run is over.

Eh, who knows. IMO when he hangs it up that consecutive cuts made streak will be his most mind boggling impressive stat. What was is? Like 140-something? That's one record that'll never be broken. He broke a massive amount of records from previous generations, and the current generation is already starting to chip away at his records here and there, but I don't see anyone ever again making anywhere near that many cuts in a row. Just an impossible achievement.

Maybe not massive in the sense of the biggest prizes: most wins, most majors, but yes for "consistency stats" nobody has been better, cuts made, time at #1 ect......

Cop out for honest. Good luck in Dubai when he doesn't win. Again.

LOL....Tiger played as well as some of the best in the world. The only reason you are setting the expectations so high is so you can use it to criticize him. No reasonable person would set the expectations that high for any other athlete who was coming back from major medical issues, long break in competition at the highest level along with a bag full of new clubs...unless you have an agenda.

I don't have high expectations as you'd know from other posts in other threads going back to the hero challenge.

I do have a dislike for wall to wall media coverage for someone for whom making the cut is an achievement given Hadwin and Rose played incredible golf on Thursday given the conditions.

That and the dozen or so folk that were going on about him winning who have since disappeared since he missed the cut. Calling me a hater or a troll says more about them than me as the truth hurts. And the truth is Tiger is not physically capable of winning at the moment.

LOL....Tiger played as well as some of the best in the world. The only reason you are setting the expectations so high is so you can use it to criticize him. No reasonable person would set the expectations that high for any other athlete who was coming back from major medical issues, long break in competition at the highest level along with a bag full of new clubs...unless you have an agenda.

I don't have high expectations as you'd know from other posts in other threads going back to the hero challenge.

I do have a dislike for wall to wall media coverage for someone for whom making the cut is an achievement given Hadwin and Rose played incredible golf on Thursday given the conditions.

That and the dozen or so folk that were going on about him winning who have since disappeared since he missed the cut. Calling me a hater or a troll says more about them than me as the truth hurts. And the truth is Tiger is not physically capable of winning at the moment.

My thoughts exactly. There has been excellent golf being played that we missed because of the excessive Tiger coverage. I just don't foresee Tiger winning anytime soon, if ever.

Schniederjans is second place, 2 under and I've seen one putt. Are they waiting for him to go away?

I remember Koepka's first win. They didn't show anything of his final round until he eagled the 15th, they suddenly realised that he wasn't going away and almost reluctantly picked him up for the last couple of holes.

If Tiger had been in the field today, even in last place it would have been wall to wall TW. Instead we are getting coverage of a tied 38 Phil.

Yes you have guessed it, this is a coverage sucks post.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Jonny, you've called Tiger the world's most arrogant person, called him a joke as a player, called him and anyone who roots for him a "drain on golf" and stated you hope he never wins again.

You are certainly entitled to these opinions, but let's not pretend you are operating in some world of unbiased reason on the subject of Tiger or that a few who take you at your word are being unreasonable in their assessment of your opinions.

Schniederjans is second place, 2 under and I've seen one putt. Are they waiting for him to go away?

I remember Koepka's first win. They didn't show anything of his final round until he eagled the 15th, they suddenly realised that he wasn't going away and almost reluctantly picked him up for the last couple of holes.

If Tiger had been in the field today, even in last place it would have been wall to wall TW. Instead we are getting coverage of a tied 38 Phil.

Well.....considering golf is a sport where many enjoy watching their favorite player as much as or more as they do the leaderboard that shouldn't be surprising. Phil is a favorite.

Well.....considering golf is a sport where many enjoy watching their favorite player as much as or more as they do the leaderboard that shouldn't be surprising. Phil is a favorite.

Well the American Robert Rock is now in the lead. Do you think we'll see a bit more of him............and Phil?

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Great. Instead of watching golf I have to watch this basketball game. I think I've seen 3 timeouts called in about 30 seconds of play.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

WE ARE MISSING 12 MINUTES OF GOLF!!!!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

WE ARE MISSING 12 MINUTES OF GOLF!!!!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE

No basketball here, they are even showing Ollie now.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Schniederjans is brutal to watch on the greens. He makes Furyk look fast. Mark it, step back, mark it again, step back, address it then miss a two footer. Did the same thing the previous hole. Dottie's already annoyed with him. Ugly.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Phil with the Kymaresque putting display. Turns a 40 foot Eagle putt into a 10 foot Birdie putt.

And he makes the comebacker. Thus ending any similarity to me.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Schniederjans is brutal to watch on the greens. He makes Furyk look fast. Mark it, step back, mark it again, step back, address it then miss a two footer. Did the same thing the previous hole. Dottie's already annoyed with him. Ugly.

That grip looks a bit suspect also: they are saying the right hand is barely touching the grip. I've got to say that he looks pretty impressive from tee to green.....so far.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Anyone get the impression Faldo was hoping Phil missed that birdie putt?

It might have been a foil to Nantz's excitement as he hit the eagle putt. I feared for his under garments.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Nike needs to make the swooshes bigger on Rodgers hat/shirt.

As long as they make it smaller on their driver crowns from here on!!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Speaking of Rodgers does anybody know if he broke any records at Stanford. And would this record have involved a golfer that we have heard of?

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Nice to see the PGA TOUR playing a properly challenging course for a change. The South Course at Torrey Pines is truly a big league course, and they're playing it 217 yards short today.

Phil with a very fine round today. He'll be in the mix tomorrow, looking for PGA TOUR victory number 43.

Agreed on both the course and Phil.

Nice to see Stewart Cink playing well too.

He's spelling his name in his mind as he gives through each step.

Unfortunately Jason Day uses Ollie's name for his routine.

Nice to see the PGA TOUR playing a properly challenging course for a change. The South Course at Torrey Pines is truly a big league course, and they're playing it 217 yards short today.

Phil with a very fine round today. He'll be in the mix tomorrow, looking for PGA TOUR victory number 43.

In a lot of ways it's the textbook course for all the guys that say just tighten fairways and grow rough to reign in the way guys are playing. It's gorgeous course due to the views but it's not like it's the greatest design in the world. Some of the holes take advantage of the landscape very well, but there's a lot of similar holes

But it's brute. Thick rough, tight fairways, greens with some ridges....done and done

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

In a lot of ways it's the textbook course for all the guys that say just tighten fairways and grow rough to reign in the way guys are playing. It's gorgeous course due to the views but it's not like it's the greatest design in the world. Some of the holes take advantage of the landscape very well, but there's a lot of similar holes

But it's brute. Thick rough, tight fairways, greens with some ridges....done and done

Yep, not the greatest layout for sure. In my mind I lump Torrey and Olympic together as west coast courses that I'd rather not have host US Opens. Much better layouts out there. I wish we saw these conditions more in regular tour events though. Guys can score, but the rough is something to be reckoned with, without being the pitch-it-out-sideways type that you get in some US Opens.