2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

The 2017 Farmers Insurance Open Discussion Thread. Welcome back, Tiger!

Frankensteins Monster

Watching the replay , announcers ranting an raving about j day hitting a 5 wood 269, really j day doesn't carry a 5w 90% of the time. Pretty positive it was a 3w, they have to be told by the Sponsors to just blatantly misrepresent yardage and clubs

Yeah I dont think Day has carried a true 5W ever during his PGA Tour career. HIs current 3W is a 15* most likely open face and playing closer to 14*.

Ive seen them make this error many times in describing clubs.

Up until very recently Day carried a 17* 3W, a high-launch model which was basically a 5W. Now, Day carries a 15* 3W.

He carried a 16.5 with a true loft of 14.5. Listed in all of his WITB's. 17* isnt basically a 5 wood either, its a 4 wood. Lastly its highly likely his current 15* is open and delofted. So the point remains the same, he didn't hit 5w for that particular shot and he has never carried one.

Tom Wishon laughs at "true loft" :)

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some observations:

1. Faldo mentioned JDay/DJ best in the present vs Tiger's best in the present. Tiger is 41. Multiple back injuries. He is well past golf's prime.

2. Faldo mis spoke when they approached the >600 par 5 and proclaimed it to be a real 3 shotter. Nope.

3. Tiger is swinging so easily. Looks like a 75% swing. Obviously trying to take it easy on his back which is smart. Pacing himself for 4 rounds.

4. Tiger seems to swing his driver like his irons. Narrow stance. Hands close to his belt. Works for Furyk, but not most golfers.

5. Loved Tiger's low cut long irons into the greens.

6. Tiger's short game looked pretty good.

Every shot tiger hit yesterday. Saved me a lot of time. Day plays so slow it was still miserable fast forwarding with DVr.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

Watching the replay , announcers ranting an raving about j day hitting a 5 wood 269, really j day doesn't carry a 5w 90% of the time. Pretty positive it was a 3w, they have to be told by the Sponsors to just blatantly misrepresent yardage and clubs

Yeah I dont think Day has carried a true 5W ever during his PGA Tour career. HIs current 3W is a 15* most likely open face and playing closer to 14*.

Ive seen them make this error many times in describing clubs.

Up until very recently Day carried a 17* 3W, a high-launch model which was basically a 5W. Now, Day carries a 15* 3W.

He carried a 16.5 with a true loft of 14.5. Listed in all of his WITB's. 17* isnt basically a 5 wood either, its a 4 wood. Lastly its highly likely his current 15* is open and delofted. So the point remains the same, he didn't hit 5w for that particular shot and he has never carried one.

Tom Wishon laughs at "true loft" :)

Um no he doesn't for this circumstance. That's for adjustable hosel settings. A head stamped with a loft on tour means nothing, it can be an actual different loft. Digitally measured. True loft is very real especially for a FW club

Lol keeps getting schooled but comes back for more

Well don't go burying him already!! FFS!!!

Dang I'm getting old I guess. Thanks Kym, I had to look up FFS. :(

Oh well YTILH!!!

(shhh! No one tell him that means nothing! I'll bet he searches for hours)

I probably would have if you wouldn't have given it away. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Every shot tiger hit yesterday. Saved me a lot of time. Day plays so slow it was still miserable fast forwarding with DVr.

Nice find, thanks!

Amazing he didn't shoot worse. Short game and putting look confident. So much for the "chip yip" theory.

But the driver is so sloppy. The follow through says a lot, not sure what, but that follow through is a sign of something wrong. Some say it's his hips moving too fast but I think it could be the opposite. He is too tentative and needs to go after it like on the swing on 18.

Tiger was quoted as saying after the round he had trouble adjusting to the incredibly slow pace of play. He said it wasn't what he's used to.

I don't think that had anything to do with his struggles in yesterday's round but do you think it's possible that the pace of play on Tour has literally gotten noticeably slower during his two years off? I mean it ain't like they were playing quick in 2015 but he seems to be indicating it has gotten much worse.

I certainly believe that, just based on trying to watch it on TV even with fast-forward on the DVR.

The other thing that stands out to me a day after being there were the number of guys my age (60's) who were pretty sloshed. Slurred words everywhere by the end of the day.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Tiger was quoted as saying after the round he had trouble adjusting to the incredibly slow pace of play. He said it wasn't what he's used to.

I don't think that had anything to do with his struggles in yesterday's round but do you think it's possible that the pace of play on Tour has literally gotten noticeably slower during his two years off? I mean it ain't like they were playing quick in 2015 but he seems to be indicating it has gotten much worse.

I certainly believe that, just based on trying to watch it on TV even with fast-forward on the DVR.

his group was waitin one that par three tee for at least 15 min. In all fairness the other two in his group had to wait for him while he located/ took relief for his next shot.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Well for one he was playing with Day who is extremely slow. Two, the round takes longer when you can't find a fairway. Three, Torrey Pines is long and hard which makes the round take more time. I did notice a 5-10 minute wait on the 16th tee though.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I could see where that could have an effect. It was driving me nuts just watching Day and Johnson meander around the course. Imagine being a bit nervous for your first big round back, and having to wait extra long to hit every shot.

The other thing that stands out to me a day after being there were the number of guys my age (60's) who were pretty sloshed. Slurred words everywhere by the end of the day.

that's what three decades of marriage does to ya :stop:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Nice find, thanks!

Amazing he didn't shoot worse. Short game and putting look confident. So much for the "chip yip" theory.

But the driver is so sloppy. The follow through says a lot, not sure what, but that follow through is a sign of something wrong. Some say it's his hips moving too fast but I think it could be the opposite. He is too tentative and needs to go after it like on the swing on 18.

Tiger's swing and the continual miss right reminds me of the future Mrs. Pelz and a pregnancy scare in college...both are a little late.

Yeah, hard to duplicate in your practice the futility that is playing a 5.5 hour round with Jason Day. Did you catch the 10+ page thread the other week where the slow play brigade was out in force defending JDay's right to play as slow as he wants like it's in the Constitution or something? Turns out the problem is that Snedeker needs to shut his trap and accept his fate, while JDay's a hero for sticking up for himself.

Nice find, thanks!

Tiger's swing and the continual miss right reminds me of the future Mrs. Pelz and a pregnancy scare in college...both are a little late.

what the hell is goin on there in Chicago?

Nice find, thanks!

Oh, man, that's straighten your head out fast ; )

If he is late, then why? Is it possible that his hips are fast but then stalls and he makes it up with his arms, too late, and the whippy finish? Maybe he needs to be *more* aggressive and really get his lower body through the shot?

I don't know, not my domain, what do you think?

Yeah, hard to duplicate in your practice the futility that is playing a 5.5 hour round with Jason Day. Did you catch the 10+ page thread the other week where the slow play brigade was out in force defending JDay's right to play as slow as he wants like it's in the Constitution or something? Turns out the problem is that Snedeker needs to shut his trap and accept his fate, while JDay's a hero for sticking up for himself.

I think guys like Tiger and Sneds ought to keep a club in their hands and anytime Jason Day is doing his thing they should stand directly in his line of sight and take big driver practice swings to keep limber. until he's done.

I guess they could also go practice their chipping on the side of the Teebox when they're waiting to tee off. That's certainly how I deal with that stuff at my home course.

Nice find, thanks!

If he is late, then why? Is it possible that his hips are fast but then stalls and he makes it up with his arms, too late, and the whippy finish? Maybe he needs to be *more* aggressive and really get his lower body through the shot?

Glutes not firing?

Nice find, thanks!

Glutes not firing?

Fire it up!

Tip-Test-Your-Glutes.jpg?1462223949

I don't think it had anything to do with Jason Day. He has been playing solo rounds on his home course. Probably zipping around under three hours. No waiting for galleries to quiet, no looking for his own stray tee shots. Of of the many things he just has to get used to again to play on tour.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Slow play: this is why you need to PLAY competitive golf! Tiger's schedule over the years has driven me nuts. Its like he doesn't want to play tournaments he just wants to hang out in Jupiter and play practice rounds with the boys. He is playing several weeks here going forward. I'd bet anything he will be looking better by tourney 3 or so. And then he will probably take 6 weeks off again. Its maddening.

Driver: with the exception of 2012 he has been a below average driver of the golf ball now for several years. This is a big problem. The top guys now (DJ, Day, McIlroy, Scott, Bubba, Walker, JT) are all awesome driver's of the golf ball. Unless he figures it out, he will be at a huge disadvantage on big golf courses like Torrey.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Nice find, thanks!

Gotta tell ya...I remember that moment like it was yesterday...and thinking that the her Dad was going to beat the tar outta me. All was well the next day and he and I became best friends. Whew on that.

Someone made the comment on Woods swinging too easy and my untrained, uneducated, unbiased thought was the same. He's aligned left, his hips were opening quickly and his hands/arms seem to be trailing leading to the open face. Again, no expert training here...just what the eyes see.

He's mentioned before having it in practice and on the range, but not being able to take it to the course. That's what I feel like we're seeing here, on the range he can swing free and easy, but once he hits the course it's like he's tight and unable to swing free and let it go. Unlike the former future Mrs. Pelz...