KBS $-Taper

mackepa

I just got a set of 718 TMB's with $-Tapers in S+ and absolutely love them so far. Coming from C-Tapers, these are similar but launch a little higher with pretty similar spin.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

• 2 months later...

Just got fit yesterday and after hitting just about every head/shaft combo we could, I came away with a set of AP2's with S Tapers. I had been playing x100's for the past 2 seasons and PX for about 4 seasons before that, and these S Tapers make me feel like I've been truly missing out! The feel in these is just something different. I felt like I could really load the shaft well, but it was still incredibly stable, and the numbers I was getting were just about perfect (for myself anyway). It came down to Nippon 130's and the S Tapers, but there was something about the feel through impact of the S Tapers that I just kept coming back to. As far as cost goes, it was a $240 uncharge for 7 shafts, so ~$35/each, which I was happy to pay. It's still cold as hell here in Minnesota, so I'm a ways away from getting out and hitting them outside, but I'm giddy to say the least!

What $-Taper flex did you get?

I’m looking for a comparison with the X100’s.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

Just got fit yesterday and after hitting just about every head/shaft combo we could, I came away with a set of AP2's with S Tapers. I had been playing x100's for the past 2 seasons and PX for about 4 seasons before that, and these S Tapers make me feel like I've been truly missing out! The feel in these is just something different. I felt like I could really load the shaft well, but it was still incredibly stable, and the numbers I was getting were just about perfect (for myself anyway). It came down to Nippon 130's and the S Tapers, but there was something about the feel through impact of the S Tapers that I just kept coming back to. As far as cost goes, it was a $240 uncharge for 7 shafts, so ~$35/each, which I was happy to pay. It's still cold as hell here in Minnesota, so I'm a ways away from getting out and hitting them outside, but I'm giddy to say the least!

I'm looking for a comparison with the X100's.

Rox

Likely X. The $-Taper 130 is the same weight and ball flight of the X100, it will just feel a touch smoother to load.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Rox

Likely X. The $-Taper 130 is the same weight and ball flight of the X100, it will just feel a touch smoother to load.

Initially, that was my thoughts, too,

but the $-Taper should spin less, so I was wondering if S+ would work.

My co-worker had Modus 120X Soft Stepped once and swapped them out for $-Taper S flex and they feel way smoother with similar ballflight and he’s more consistent(He wanted S+ but ordered the S by mistake and installed them anyways). He figures he could play either flex, by wouldn’t change now just because of the smooth feel and the consistency.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and

Backups:

Has anyone had any tip bending issues? I'm interested in these but don't want to mess with the tip issues that I have had in the past with the Tours and C-Tapers.

For $55 a shaft, they better not!!!

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Rox

My co-worker had Modus 120X Soft Stepped once and swapped them out for $-Taper S flex and they feel way smoother with similar ballflight and he’s more consistent(He wanted S+ but ordered the S by mistake and installed them anyways). He figures he could play either flex, by wouldn’t change now just because of the smooth feel and the consistency.

Rox

I went from ss x100's to straight stiff s-tapers. I needed something to help with just a pinch higher ballflight and spin. I was leaning towards the s+, but my fitter wanted me to stick with the stiff's. Now that I've been out for a few rounds, I can see that he was exactly right. The feel is just so smooth and consistent, and they really shine when you're trying to take a little something off a shot. I hover right around 88 mph 6 iron with a fairly smooth tempo for a reference.

Rox

Rox

I went from ss x100's to straight stiff s-tapers. I needed something to help with just a pinch higher ballflight and spin. I was leaning towards the s+, but my fitter wanted me to stick with the stiff's. Now that I've been out for a few rounds, I can see that he was exactly right. The feel is just so smooth and consistent, and they really shine when you're trying to take a little something off a shot. I hover right around 88 mph 6 iron with a fairly smooth tempo for a reference.

That’s seems in line with what I’m thinking.

Thanks for the reply!

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Backups:

• 2 weeks later...

Have not played the $ Taper, but just ordered the Cobra black utility iron with this shaft KBS $ 120, hope to receive by Friday. Based on what I am reading the shaft should be good.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

• 2 weeks later...

Who is playing these on tour? I know Si Woo Kim played them for a while but has since switched to the Tour V. Braly was so confident these would be huge - not seeing it.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

Who is playing these on tour? I know Si Woo Kim played them for a while but has since switched to the Tour V. Braly was so confident these would be huge - not seeing it.

I'm not sure why they aren't more popular on tour - I think iron shafts are just hard to get going on tour in general. Majority of guys just don't want to change iron shafts.

As for the amateur scene, I think the $-Taper shafts would have been pretty huge if it wasn't for the pricing.

• Like 1

I know it’s beating a dead horse, but why are they so much? Can they actually cost 50% more than KBS’s other steel shafts to make?

If not, then I don’t understand the marketing plan. I haven’t even chosen to try them because of price...and I try pretty nearly everything.

It’s really not even an issue of affording them. I just find the price offensive Without some convincing explanation as to why they need to be so much.

I know it’s beating a dead horse, but why are they so much? Can they actually cost 50% more than KBS’s other steel shafts to make?

If not, then I don’t understand the marketing plan. I haven’t even chosen to try them because of price...and I try pretty nearly everything.

It’s really not even an issue of affording them. I just find the price offensive Without some convincing explanation as to why they need to be so much.

Probably a price for the sake of the price aspect. Project X LZ's cost just as much...maybe that micro-step design is harder to manufacturer than either a smooth or a stepped shaft? I don't know, I love the all black ones and would love them in some all black heads...so I'm tempted to get the Cobra Forged Tec Blacks just for fun.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I was recently fitted for these shafts at a Club Champion fitting. It was essentially a dead even race between these and the Oban CT115. I got to thinking that these were both some of the more expensive shafts for irons out there, does anyone think Club Champion might be playing with how they fit a little bit so they sell more expensive shafts and not end up with OEM shafts? Certainly makes it harder to go out and find a used set or put them together yourself.

All that aside, I did really like the shaft and will likely put them in play on my next set of irons

Haha. I do hope you’re kidding. Club Champion certainly wants to sell you more expensive “premium” shafts. No one actually “needs” Obans or $ Tapers. There are plenty of other less expensive comparable options.

But comparable doesn't mean the same. We also don't know his budget. Maybe they want to spend the money on them. I'm far from a guy that buys brand new shafts at full pop either but even "similar" shafts can perform vastly different. For example, I fit a guy on Friday that was bombing the PX 7.0 in some 2018 X-Forged, but he told me he wanted to stick to free shafts as much as he could. We saw they only carry up to 6.5 and we tried that to terrible results. Even the 5g change in weight resulted in a huge spike in spin and uncontrollable hooks and fades. To do our due diligence, we tried X7 but he didn't like it near as much, despite how similar it is in terms of launch, spin, and feel, and coming from s300s as well.

It's a bit of a crap shoot and for me, I'd rather just go in knowing that it's going to be expensive, but I'm going to buck up and pay for the model that works the best. If it's only 1y farther and 1y tighter than something cheaper, forget it, but if it is really that much better, I'm buying it.

so my progression of iron shafts this past few seasons have been the following: kbs tour -> S400 tour issue -> c-taper -> $-taper

i will say that the $-taper is the best of both worlds between the kbs tour and c-taper. like many have stated before, you get the c-taper spin with touch higher launch and kbs tour feel. for me, the c-taper had perfect spin and dispersion, but launched a little low and had a harsh feel at times. the kbs tour launched too high for me at times and the spin was on the high side, leading to control issues, but felt great. the $-taper has been taken the best of both those shafts, which im loving.

as for the s400 tour issue, in the longer/mid-irons, i think the static weight was a bit too heavy for me and it started messing with my tempo. i was also beginning to get some minor elbow discomfort when i switched to these. i will say the shafts were great in the wedges though.

as for the price point, the $-taper is definitely expensive. luckily, callaway offers them as a free custom shaft, so i didnt really have to worry about dishing out $55/shaft when i ordered my irons. at the end of the day though, it's really up to the consumer how much they are willing to pay for the performance. some will gladly dish out the $, while others might go for the cheaper, almost as good option.

Anyone playing these in their wedges? I’m playing CT 130X in 3-PW, and am curious how the $ Taper X would be in GW, SW, LW.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Anyone playing these in their wedges? I’m playing CT 130X in 3-PW, and am curious how the $ Taper X would be in GW, SW, LW.

I play the 120 s through my 58 and I’m happy. Having played ctapers all the way through in the past( love them by the way) I find the stapers feel better on partial swings. Overall , spin difference is negligible and launch maybe a touch higher; I would classify the shaft as a smoother ctaper.

I play the 120 s through my 58 and I’m happy. Having played ctapers all the way through in the past( love them by the way) I find the stapers feel better on partial swings. Overall , spin difference is negligible and launch maybe a touch higher; I would classify the shaft as a smoother ctaper.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was shooting for, better feel on partial swings.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I know it’s beating a dead horse, but why are they so much? Can they actually cost 50% more than KBS’s other steel shafts to make? If not, then I don’t understand the marketing plan. I haven’t even chosen to try them because of price...and I try pretty nearly everything. It’s really not even an issue of affording them. I just find the price offensive Without some convincing explanation as to why they need to be so much.

I would say they cost so much because they are a shaft that a lot of people have been asking for feel of the tours and spin of the C-tapers. it only makes sense for a manufacture to capitalize on a product that the market was asking for

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Probably a price for the sake of the price aspect. Project X LZ's cost just as much...maybe that micro-step design is harder to manufacturer than either a smooth or a stepped shaft? I don't know, I love the all black ones and would love them in some all black heads...so I'm tempted to get the Cobra Forged Tec Blacks just for fun.

Do it, you won't be disappointed. I ordered the Black Forged Tec with the Black $ Tapers and they've been awesome this past month. Point and shoot for me! Plus they just look so damn SEXY in all black.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

I have them in a set of Nike Vapor Pro Combos and they are great. Didn't really want to like them because of the Nike heads but man do they feel awesome. The flight is a little high but doesn't balloon, I have been really impressed.

I was worried about ballooning as well as I too hit these quite high but they launch high and keep going

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

• 4 months later...

Has anyone compared the 120 to the 130 in these and also comparisons against the C Taper Lite would be welcome.

I'd been playing Nippon 130S for a while and decided to try something different with my 919 Tours. During fitting the C Taper Lite X seemed to be best. My favourite shaft prior to the Nippon was a C Taper in S, but during the fitting I was given the X in the C Taper to try and was surprised to find that it felt great.

My only concern with the 120 S Taper (after only one round) was that a couple of shots that I flushed seemed to come up shorter than I was expecting, making me think it might be playing a bit soft for me. I'm toying with the idea of trying the 130 S Taper or going with the C Taper Lite that was recommended.

Feel from the S Taper is great.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

Just thought I'd share this graphic from KBS...as folks have been talking about how the $-Taper slots into the KBS lineup.

maxresdefault.jpg

Srixon Z 785 (9.5*) w/Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6S
Srixon Z F85 (15*) w/Fujikura ATMOS Blue Tour Spec 6S
Srixon Z H85 (19* & 22*) w/Miyazaki Kaula Tour Issue 7S
Srixon Z785 (5-7) w/KBS $-Taper
Srixon Z Forged (8-PW) w/KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM6 F grind (50.08) w/True Temper S400
Vokey SM6 WedgeWorks K grind (54.10) w/True Temper S400
Vokey SM6 WedgeWorks V grind (58.10) w/True Temper S400
Evnroll ER2.2 (370g) w/KBS CT Tour Putter

I was hoping for C Taper with Tour feel but they seem to be the Tour with maybe a few rpm less spin. The chart seems to support that.

I wonder if 130 in these would drop the spin down and retain the nice feel or if it's simpler just to go back to C Taper and be done with it.

Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

Seems that if I really like the ctapers but want a touch higher flight in my 3 and 4 irons that the $tapers would be a good option there?

Or soft step or drop down to a lower weight if that floats your boat?

Titleist Pro V1