Third best player of all time?

tatertot

How about Moe Norman?

Mental tools in golf are every bit, if not more important than physical ones. Moe couldn't mentally handle playing outside of Canada. He may have been a ball striking savant, but there is little else there. I think he only competed in one major, and missed the cut, never won on the PGA, European, Austrialian, Asian or African tour.

Moe is about 500,000th on this list in my opinion.

Fair enough. Ok then what about Greg Norman. Second only to Tiger in consecutive weeks at no. 1. That's a significant statistic.

What, no love for Gary? I am a huge fan of Seve but if the proviso is that Tiger and Jack are number 1&2, the best of the rest is Hogan and it isn't close. He stands head and shoulders above anyone else.

No. He gives himself enough " self love " ..... More so than ric flair and Phil combined !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For those questioning Richards(forged4ever) story of Jones just try googling why did Bobby Jones never turn pro and you will have some interesting reads. Personally I think Mickelson deserves a lot of votes for #3. Stats are not as gaudy because of the era he played in of course.

Very true. If Phil snags a us open he will be legitimate top 6-7 no question.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've got Tiger at #3.

Uh oh...

Watch this thread take a nasty turn.. :)

Why is that? Based on his avatar he likely has Spieth and Rory as #'s 1 & 2. :) Or he needs psychiatric help! Or there is the troll possiblity......or__________ (fill the blank)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Jones was an Amateur and didn't face the pressures of Playin for a roof over his his young wife's head or the baby on the way-

Food on the table or the car in the garage.

He admitted as much after The Haig thoroughly annihilated him, 12&11-

Forget humiliate-

Forget a rough 72 holes(36 at The Haig's track and 36 at Jones')-

No All-Timer EVER took a beating this bad!!

For those that have Played for Pay you know exactly of what I speak because this is the one subject and Jones the individual that I have asked almost every single Pro that I've ever spoken to and that is, where did Jones fit in with the All-Timers and did the fact that he remained an Am, had absolutely ZERO pressure on himself other than that which was self imposed versus HAVING to Play well to pay the bills, and almost every Pro, with the exception of Jack, who I got the feeling that he was trying to say the politically correct thing versus HIS feelings, said that they felt Jones remaining an Am, while he definitely owned an era, made it easier to compete.

Jones admitted numerous times that The Beatdown convinced him to keep his day job.

What I find so amusing is for all of his apologists and fan boys, those 72 holes were a mere blip/vomit on the radar screen, yet for Jones, they were his DEFINIG moment as that was when he was seriously considering turning Pro at both Hagen's and Tommy Armour's behest and JONES has admitted that it was this massive humiliating beat down that convinced him to keep his day job and just Play for silver and crystal.

Regarding the era, Professional golf was in its infancy and Sam said that there were less than a handful of guys capable of Playing with Jones day in and day out.

Daddy's law firm was lookin really fine that Sunday evening following his humiliation.

Mighty Mighty fine?

Those of you that have actually Played For Pay know exactly of what I speak!!

Oh yea, my #3??

You Guys know exactly who he is, haha

This is of course just my .03 worth?

Stay well Gents and have a great weekend?

My Best?

RP

Awesome stuff Richard ... what year was "the humiliation", pre or post Grand Slam?

Thank you very much?

This match was "pre" Slam as I believe that it was either 1925 or '26, and his Slam year was 1930, though there are a couple of interesting side notes to the match.

First, Jones would challenge The Haig to a "rematch" a few weeks later, minus the fanfare and press, and though the number wasn't quite as bad as The Beatdown, Jones lost this one also, though by two. The second point is that Jones did use this defeat to work on his game and he would go on to win both the US & British Opens that year, the first time that this fear was ever accomplished.

Jones also made some asinine comment regarding how he would much rather Play a golfer who put his drive in the middle of the fairway, laced his approach onto the green and putted for a bird, of which he should make a few and when not, get easy pars, versus a Player who, ah bullshat, here's Jonesy in his own words.....

"I would much rather play a man who is straight down the fairway with his drive, on the green with his second, and down in two putts for his par. I can play a man like that at his own game, which is par golf. If one of us can get close to the pin with his approach, or hole a good putt, all right. He has earned something that I can understand. But when a man misses his drive, and then misses his second shot, and then wins the hole with a birdie…it gets my goat!"

Sounds like the typical WXRer??

Whatta Putz?

Have a great day Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Jones was an Amateur and didn't face the pressures of Playin for a roof over his his young wife's head or the baby on the way-

He admitted as much after The Haig thoroughly annihilated him, 12&amp;11-

Forget humiliate-

For those that have Played for Pay you know exactly of what I speak because this is the one subject and Jones the individual that I have asked almost every single Pro that I've ever spoken to and that is, where did Jones fit in with the All-Timers and did the fact that he remained an Am, had absolutely ZERO pressure on himself other than that which was self imposed versus HAVING to Play well to pay the bills, and almost every Pro, with the exception of Jack, who I got the feeling that he was trying to say the politically correct thing versus HIS feelings, said that they felt Jones remaining an Am, while he definitely owned an era, made it easier to compete.

Jones admitted numerous times that The Beatdown convinced him to keep his day job.

What I find so amusing is for all of his apologists and fan boys, those 72 holes were a mere blip/vomit on the radar screen, yet for Jones, they were his DEFINIG moment as that was when he was seriously considering turning Pro at both Hagen's and Tommy Armour's behest and JONES has admitted that it was this massive humiliating beat down that convinced him to keep his day job and just Play for silver and crystal.

Regarding the era, Professional golf was in its infancy and Sam said that there were less than a handful of guys capable of Playing with Jones day in and day out.

Daddy's law firm was lookin really fine that Sunday evening following his humiliation.

Mighty Mighty fine

Oh yea, my #3??

This is of course just my .03 worth

Stay well Gents and have a great weekend

My Best

RP

Awesome stuff Richard ... what year was "the humiliation", pre or post Grand Slam?

This match was "pre" Slam as I believe that it was either 1925 or '26, and his Slam year was 1930, though there are a couple of interesting side notes to the match.

First, Jones would challenge The Haig to a "rematch" a few weeks later, minus the fanfare and press, and though the number wasn't quite as bad as The Beatdown, Jones lost this one also, though by two. The second point is that Jones did use this defeat to work on his game and he would go on to win both the US & British Opens that year, the first time that this fear was ever accomplished.

Jones also made some asinine comment regarding how he would much rather Play a golfer who drive in the middle of the fairway, laced his approach onto the green and putted for a bird, of which he should make a few and when not, get easy pars, versus a Player who, ah bullshat, here's Jonesy in his own words.....

""I would much rather play a man who is straight down the fairway with his drive, on the green with his second, and down in two putts for his par. I can play a man like that at his own game, which is par golf. If one of us can get close to the pin with his approach, or hole a good putt, all right. He has earned something that I can understand. But when a man misses his drive, and then misses his second shot, and then wins the hole with a birdie…it gets my goat!"

Sounds like the typical WXRer

Whatta Putz

Have a great day Bro

RP

so im betting he wouldnt be a Phil fan!!! lol now i know i hate him! ( kiddig of course)

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If the assumption is Tiger and Jack are first and 2nd, I think it's pretty hard to argue that Hogan isn't 3rd, followed probably next by Snead, then possibly Hagen, although Arnie has many more regular PGA tour wins. I don't think you can put Nelson as #3 or even #4 just simply based on # of wins, # of major wins.

Top 5 for me is probably something like:

Tiger

Jack

Hogan

Snead

Palmer (shorter career, almost 20 more total wins, played better opponents)

Hagen

Thank you very much

Jones also made some asinine comment regarding how he would much rather Play a golfer who drive in the middle of the fairway, laced his approach onto the green and putted for a bird, of which he should make a few and when not, get easy pars, versus a Player who, ah bullshat, here's Jonesy in his own words.....

""I would much rather play a man who is straight down the fairway with his drive, on the green with his second, and down in two putts for his par. I can play a man like that at his own game, which is par golf. If one of us can get close to the pin with his approach, or hole a good putt, all right. He has earned something that I can understand. But when a man misses his drive, and then misses his second shot, and then wins the hole with a birdie…it gets my goat!"

Whatta Putz

Have a great day Bro

RP

Sounds like he would have really hated that guy that your man Snead was beat by-Paul Runyan! But it is interesting to me, and perhaps indicative about what I posted earlier about the pros versus ams of the times, how some players lose sight of the goal of the game. Get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. Those that are not great ballstrikers tend to get looked down upon as "inferior" players. Even if their score is consistently lower than the guy hitting fairways and greens. What I meant by my comment about the pros versus ams is the pros of Jones' time were looked down upon as second class citizens, They were better players than most all of the ams but the ams had the upper crust elitist attitude about how things "should" be done.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

For those questioning Richards(forged4ever) story of Jones just try googling why did Bobby Jones never turn pro and you will have some interesting reads. Personally I think Mickelson deserves a lot of votes for #3. Stats are not as gaudy because of the era he played in of course.

Yeah, 6 Majors and a career GS puts him in a very elite group.

Snead, Watson and Palmer don't have the GS.

How about Moe Norman?

Mental tools in golf are every bit, if not more important than physical ones. Moe couldn't mentally handle playing outside of Canada. He may have been a ball striking savant, but there is little else there. I think he only competed in one major, and missed the cut, never won on the PGA, European, Austrialian, Asian or African tour.

Moe is about 500,000th on this list in my opinion.

Fair enough. Ok then what about Greg Norman. Second only to Tiger in consecutive weeks at no. 1. That's a significant statistic.

Norman was a really good player, one of the best of his era. BUT, he didn't come through in the clutch when it mattered. Faldo took him down in majors on more than one occasion. Norman had all the talent in the world, but he didn't perform well very often when it mattered most. He was a master at top-10ing it and accumulating points. he always seemed to be near the top of the leader board, but in the end he will be better known for what he almost accomplished not what he actually accomplished.

Norman had every tool in the chest needed to be the greatest of all time, except on the back 9 on Sunday, then something always seemed to break down. Seemed there was a fundamental lack of self belief.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

What, no love for Gary? I am a huge fan of Seve but if the proviso is that Tiger and Jack are number 1&2, the best of the rest is Hogan and it isn't close. He stands head and shoulders above anyone else.

No. He gives himself enough " self love " ..... More so than ric flair and Phil combined !

True. Gary does more bragging than any player in the history of the game.

Forget humiliate-

Mighty Mighty fine

Oh yea, my #3??

This is of course just my .03 worth

Stay well Gents and have a great weekend

My Best

RP

Thank you very much

Jones also made some asinine comment regarding how he would much rather Play a golfer who put his drive in the middle of the fairway, laced his approach onto the green and putted for a bird, of which he should make a few and when not, get easy pars, versus a Player who, ah bullshat, here's Jonesy in his own words.....

Whatta Putz

Have a great day Bro

RP

Ben Hogan would have likely shared the same sentiments. Jones was simply admiring Hagen's ability to scramble.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

I don't think that you can rate Walter Hagen (as much as I admire his record) higher than Bobby Jones.

From 1920 to 1930, they both played in the Open Championship and the US Open 14 times. Hagen only finished higher than Jones in 3 of those: 1921 in the Open Championship when Jones tore up his card at St Andrews, 1921 in the US Open when Walter finished T2 and Jones finished T5, and 1927 in the US Open when Walter finished 6th and Jones T11. That means that Jones beat Walter in those tournaments 11 times, in a span when he won 7 of them. Walter won 4 Open Championships over that span, but Jones was not in the field.

In either 1926 or 1929, Bobby Cruikshank and Walter Hagen were watching Jones play the final hole in a US Open victory. Cruikshank turned to Hagen, and in admiration of Jones game, said, "Walter, I'm going to turn amateur." Not missing a beat, Walter quipped, "You're not good enough."

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Forget humiliate-

Mighty Mighty fine����

Oh yea, my #3??

This is of course just my .03 worth��

Stay well Gents and have a great weekend��

My Best��

RP

Thank you very much��

Sounds like the typical WXRer��������

Whatta Putz��

Have a great day Bro��

RP

Ben Hogan would have likely shared the same sentiments. Jones was simply admiring Hagen's ability to scramble.

Jones did win 7 majors with Hagan in the field, so there is that.

Richard I love your posts, and I respect your opinion. But Jones had that unique ability that very few have had. Jones if anything was a really smart guy, and he realized life made more sense not turning pro simply because there was no real money in it at the time and he had his law and engineering degree.

You know what else? Putting food on the table meant nothing to Tiger, he was rich the day he turned pro, Nike took care of that. He played for glory, as did Jones, hell Jack and Arnie didn't make that much money on the course, they made their real money through endorsements. After taxes and expenses the money leaders back in the 1960's didn't have much left.

Yes, life is softer for every generation, thank God I don't have to take a covered wagon across the country, or live in a log cabin in the woods. Tiger, Jack and Jones would be great in any era because they were motivated in ways most are not.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Phil. Just ask him.

Actually I have never heard him make a comment in that regard. The whole FIGJAM thing is a lot over blown, especially now that he has grown older. Phil knows his career will never touch Tiger's, and I have never heard him say otherwise, quite the contrary.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Exactly. I have him top 10 already easily because of era.

Brilliant idea for a thread...so much better than the twice yearly "worst player to win a major" thread.

For my vote I am torn between Hogan and Player but I if push came to shove, I would have to go for Player because of his international appeal and the time frame during which he performed. His time in the game came at the same time as Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson and Trevino. The strength and quality of Players peers was greater than those Hogan faced. That is no slight on Hogan or Snead or Nelson either, it's just that as a group, the group that Player was competing against was stronger.

Fair argument for Player, he did bring in the dawn of international events and played globally before it wasfashionable to do so.He has officially 24 pga tour wins but he easily eclipses 40+ if he stays here all year round. If were talking pound for pound best golfer hes up there. got the most out of his game and had incredible longevity. 20+ years between majors. 5 or 6 world matchplay wins. probably one of the greatest age 43-44 seasons ever winning 3 tourneys in a row including the masters.

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

I don't think that you can rate Walter Hagen (as much as I admire his record) higher than Bobby Jones.

From 1920 to 1930, they both played in the Open Championship and the US Open 14 times. Hagen only finished higher than Jones in 3 of those: 1921 in the Open Championship when Jones tore up his card at St Andrews, 1921 in the US Open when Walter finished T2 and Jones finished T5, and 1927 in the US Open when Walter finished 6th and Jones T11. That means that Jones beat Walter in those tournaments 11 times, in a span when he won 7 of them. Walter won 4 Open Championships over that span, but Jones was not in the field.

In either 1926 or 1929, Bobby Cruikshank and Walter Hagen were watching Jones play the final hole in a US Open victory. Cruikshank turned to Hagen, and in admiration of Jones game, said, "Walter, I'm going to turn amateur." Not missing a beat, Walter quipped, "You're not good enough."

Seve and Faldo are too low. Above Phil, above Sarazen, above Casper.

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

Seve and Faldo are too low. Above Phil, above Sarazen, above Casper.

Agree totally on Seve ... I think he's a top 10 player. Euro golf may not have been dead, but it sure seemed like it before Seve came along.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag