Third best player of all time?

tatertot

And I'm interested to hear more about this ... I kind of understand Nelson, with a lot of his wins coming during the wars years, but why throw Jones in here?

That's easy. Because Jones only won 7 professional events. Snead won 82. The GOAT discussion should be around his entire career, not four or five years.

From 1923 to 1930, over those 8 years Jones played in 11 National championships (US Opens and Open Championships). He won 7 of them, and finished 2nd 3 times. He wanted to win those tournaments just as badly as the guys playing for money. He was just as nervous on the first tee, and just as spent at the culmination. He also won a couple of Open tournaments in the South, against the pros. That was a hell of a run. At the time of his retirement, he was universally regarded as the best ever.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

@Forged:

I know you're a Snead guy, but where would you rank Hogan?

Hope all is well with you...

Hey Goody, thanks for the thoughts and back at ya

I have Hogan right behind Sam in the 4th slot.

I realize that this is purely an emotional pick and I wouldn't even debate someone who said that Hogan was in front of Sam because if I had to, I could make that argument however I've never liked Hogan after Pete told me some of the things that he said about Sam, some of which was in the public domain and some In the locker room. For some reason it bothered Pete more than Sam, who really did look at Hogan as sort of a big Bro and he never had any animosity towards him.

I guess Hogan was just amazed and Pete thought a little jealous of Sam's natural ability and while Sam actually did hit till his hands bled early on in his Pro career(that's a lot of friggin balls, lol), Hogan was of the opinion that Sam just showed up, teed it up and off he went. Hogan always said that if he had Sam's swing he would've had at least 4-5 more Majors, I forget exactly the number.

Because of Sam's quotes about simplifying the swing("arithmetic versus trig"), many, including Hogan, thought that he was a southern bumpkin.

He was far far from it

Well, have a great weekend Bro

My Best,

RP

Richard, so now that we know where you stand on Jones, Snead and Hogan, would you put Hagen right behind Snead/Hogan, or would you put Nelson there?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Jones was an Amateur and didn't face the pressures of Playin for a roof over his his young wife's head or the baby on the way-

Food on the table or the car in the garage.

He admitted as much after The Haig thoroughly annihilated him, 12&11-

Forget humiliate-

Forget a rough 72 holes(36 at The Haig's track and 36 at Jones')-

No All-Timer EVER took a beating this bad!!

For those that have Played for Pay you know exactly of what I speak because this is the one subject and Jones the individual that I have asked almost every single Pro that I've ever spoken to and that is, where did Jones fit in with the All-Timers and did the fact that he remained an Am, had absolutely ZERO pressure on himself other than that which was self imposed versus HAVING to Play well to pay the bills, and almost every Pro, with the exception of Jack, who I got the feeling that he was trying to say the politically correct thing versus HIS feelings, said that they felt Jones remaining an Am, while he definitely owned an era, made it easier to compete.

Jones admitted numerous times that The Beatdown convinced him to keep his day job.

What I find so amusing is for all of his apologists and fan boys, those 72 holes were a mere blip/vomit on the radar screen, yet for Jones, they were his DEFINIG moment as that was when he was seriously considering turning Pro at both Hagen's and Tommy Armour's behest and JONES has admitted that it was this massive humiliating beat down that convinced him to keep his day job and just Play for silver and crystal.

Regarding the era, Professional golf was in its infancy and Sam said that there were less than a handful of guys capable of Playing with Jones day in and day out.

Daddy's law firm was lookin really fine that Sunday evening following his humiliation.

Mighty Mighty fine??

Those of you that have actually Played For Pay know exactly of what I speak!!

Oh yea, my #3??

You Guys know exactly who he is, haha

This is of course just my .03 worth?

Stay well Gents and have a great weekend?

My Best?

RP

Awesome stuff Richard ... what year was "the humiliation", pre or post Grand Slam?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

For those questioning Richards(forged4ever) story of Jones just try googling why did Bobby Jones never turn pro and you will have some interesting reads. Personally I think Mickelson deserves a lot of votes for #3. Stats are not as gaudy because of the era he played in of course.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Brilliant idea for a thread...so much better than the twice yearly "worst player to win a major" thread.

For my vote I am torn between Hogan and Player but I if push came to shove, I would have to go for Player because of his international appeal and the time frame during which he performed. His time in the game came at the same time as Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson and Trevino. The strength and quality of Players peers was greater than those Hogan faced. That is no slight on Hogan or Snead or Nelson either, it's just that as a group, the group that Player was competing against was stronger.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Brilliant idea for a thread...so much better than the twice yearly "worst player to win a major" thread.

For my vote I am torn between Hogan and Player but I if push came to shove, I would have to go for Player because of his international appeal and the time frame during which he performed. His time in the game came at the same time as Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson and Trevino. The strength and quality of Players peers was greater than those Hogan faced. That is no slight on Hogan or Snead or Nelson either, it's just that as a group, the group that Player was competing against was stronger.

A little to much spread there imo. Take out Watson as he turned pro 18 years after Player. Trevino started on tour 11 years after Player. They did however overlap to be in the same conversation. The issue I have with lumping players like that is you could say Jack's peers were Hogan and Tiger. Jack famously battled with Hogan at the US Open and finished ahead of Tiger at the Masters in '98.

Phil, easily.

Billy Casper well before Phil. Casper is one of the most over looked and under appreciated great players in PGA Tour history when it comes to discussing greats of the game.

The guy who laid up on Par 3s? Lol

Lol. Yeah he did it every par 3 he ever played. Lol. lol lol.

Man you are really make some brilliant points. Lol.

You ok, dude? You gonna have to hustle to CVS to get that blood press checked?

Possibly. Reading inane, childish comments does get me a bit worked up.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hagen or Jones

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

And I'm interested to hear more about this ... I kind of understand Nelson, with a lot of his wins coming during the wars years, but why throw Jones in here?

That's easy. Because Jones only won 7 professional events. Snead won 82. The GOAT discussion should be around his entire career, not four or five years.

From 1923 to 1930, over those 8 years Jones played in 11 National championships (US Opens and Open Championships). He won 7 of them, and finished 2nd 3 times. He wanted to win those tournaments just as badly as the guys playing for money. He was just as nervous on the first tee, and just as spent at the culmination. He also won a couple of Open tournaments in the South, against the pros. That was a hell of a run. At the time of his retirement, he was universally regarded as the best ever.

That may be the best eight years ever (especially five of them). But we are discussing the best career, not the best eight years.

I think it's Jones but Tom Watson hasn't been mentioned much. Definitely over Phil anyway.

If Watson had won the Open at nearly 60, it could well have been him. Even then, it was a remarkable achievement to nearly win it. Only four players have more pro majors than him, and he's won the Open five times.

He won PGA Tour Player of the Year six times, behind only Tiger, three straight Vardons. And there's a lot of hypotheticals about who would have beaten who. Well Watson did beat Nicklaus, Jack at more or less his best too, who many consider to be the greatest. On more than one occasion in majors as well. That's got to be worth something.

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

I'm biased as I'm a Texan. I've got a close match between Hogan and Nelson.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

I would put Phil in the top 10, but closer to the double digit side... He doesn't sniff top 5 unless he goes on a giant run (unlikely at this point).

If Phil was a righty, I would have him at 9. It's just difficult to consider any left-handed player in the top 10. They are just so different.

Maybe they need a list all to themselves.

Phil - 1

Bubba - 2

Weir - 3

That settles that, right?

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

Solid list right here ... personally, I think Seve, Jones and possibly Faldo are too low. I think Seve gets in my top 10 over Phil. Jones was in my top 10, but Richard's post has me totally rethinking his place.

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

I would put Phil in the top 10, but closer to the double digit side... He doesn't sniff top 5 unless he goes on a giant run (unlikely at this point).

If Phil was a righty, I would have him at 9. It's just difficult to consider any left-handed player in the top 10. They are just so different.

Phil - 1

Bubba - 2

Weir - 3

Might put Bob Charles over Weir. :pimp:

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

Phil - 1

Bubba - 2

Weir - 3

Bob Charles?

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

So hard to pick because so many players are right there and had circumstances that shortened careers via service, accidents, and it was a different age when golf wasn't as much of a priority as it is now.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

So hard to pick because so many players are right there and had circumstances that shortened careers via service, accidents, and it was a different age when golf wasn't as much of a priority as it is now.

But if you are looking at careers that peripheral stuff does not matter. If it did more might acknowledge 14>18. So by career you certainly have a hard time arguing that Jack and Tiger are #'s 1 & 2. How much you value era played in to look at the numbers is the key for the rest of the list.

Sam - 3

Hogan - 4

Player -5

Arnie - 6

Phil - 23

1 Jack Nicklaus

2 Tiger Woods

3 Sam Snead

4 Ben Hogan

5 Arnold Palmer

6 Walter Hagen

7 Byron Nelson

8 Gary Player

9 Tom Watson

10 Phil Mickelson

11 Gene Sarazen

12 Bobby Jones

13 Lee Trevino

14 Billy Casper

15 Seve Ballesteros

16 Nick Faldo

17 Ernie Els

18 Cary Middlecoff

19 Vijay Singh

20 Greg Norman

Solid list right here ... personally, I think Seve, Jones and possibly Faldo are too low. I think Seve gets in my top 10 over Phil. Jones was in my top 10, but Richard's post has me totally rethinking his place.

It's a really good list, and of course there is always room for debate on things like these. I would put Jones higher, and I would throw Harry Vardon in the list as he was the most dominant player in the history of the game when he retired. There are about 5 guys you could make a legitimate argument for #3.

There are several players in the history of the game that were truly special, players who were the undisputed kings of their era.

1. Young Tom Morris

2. Harry Vardon

3. Bobby Jones

4. Sneed/Nelson/Hogan-not sure how to rate this era?

5. Jack

6. Tiger

#3 is on this list.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

How about Moe Norman?

Mental tools in golf are every bit, if not more important than physical ones. Moe couldn't mentally handle playing outside of Canada. He may have been a ball striking savant, but there is little else there. I think he only competed in one major, and missed the cut, never won on the PGA, European, Austrialian, Asian or African tour.

Moe is about 500,000th on this list in my opinion.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Sam - 3 Hogan - 4 Player -5 Arnie - 6 . . . Phil - 23
1 Jack Nicklaus 2 Tiger Woods 3 Sam Snead 4 Ben Hogan 5 Arnold Palmer 6 Walter Hagen 7 Byron Nelson 8 Gary Player 9 Tom Watson 10 Phil Mickelson 11 Gene Sarazen 12 Bobby Jones 13 Lee Trevino 14 Billy Casper 15 Seve Ballesteros 16 Nick Faldo 17 Ernie Els 18 Cary Middlecoff 19 Vijay Singh 20 Greg Norman

That's a good list, but I think we all tend to skew towards players we've been able to watch. Probably even more towards the players who were in their primes when we were most into golf ourselves. For that reason, I'd probably put Tom Watson as my #3 because his record was compiled mostly during Jack's prime. If he had made that putt on #18 & won his sixth Open at age 60 with a hip replacement, I'd have him at #3 with no question.

Having said that, I believe Harry Vardon should be in the top 10 but I have no idea where. Nobody left alive who actually saw him play & that hurts him in these kind of rankings...