Callaway Epic, Epic Pro Irons and Epic Hybrids: In-Hand Photos

GolfWRX

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in hand.

how did u get it so fast? u going to hit it today

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

in hand.

Thats why you were sweating so much running out to get your clubs :)

Let us all know how it goes!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Well sounds like Shiels is not a fan of the pro irons performance. Loved the looks tho

Tough to judge the performance of them when he was hitting a few an inch off center or fat. No club will fix that. The low spin on well struck shots is more concerning however.

Just goes to show Rick has no idea what he's talking about in regards to spin and most golfers don't know what they are talking about in terms of spin and holding greens. He's already a low spin player as it is - just watch his driver reviews, he never spins anything too much. If the apex of the flight is high enough and the decent angle is steep enough, you'll have plenty of stopping power on the greens. A lower spin flight is going to be much less effected by the wind - this is precisely what Rory has said and why he switched to the TP5 golf ball recently. His Epic Pro numbers were fantastic in my opinion.

As an example, comparing his numbers to the Ping i200 review he had the following (I only used a good strike since he mis-hit them so much - most likely a shaft issue as I likely wouldn't put him into a 105g PX LZ shaft):

Epic Pro

Ball Speed: 124 mph

Launch: 17.6

Spin: 5400 rpm

Peak Height: 35 yards

Decent Angle: 47.6*

Carry: 181 yards

Ping i200

Ball Speed: 119.5 mph

Launch: 17.2

Spin: 5800 rpm

Peak Height: 31 yards

Decent Angle: 46.2

Carry: 170 yards

4.5 mph faster ballspeed, similar launch, slightly lower spin, but 4 YARDS higher peak height and a 1.5* steeper angle of descent. Along with 10 extra yards. So even though these are "stronger lofted" than the Pings, they are going 4 yards higher in the air with more ballspeed and 10 yards more distance. I'll take that 10 out of 10 times! Actually goes to show just how good the Epic Pros are...

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

in hand.

Just arrived today?

Yes

in hand.

No idea, just pre-ordered on the 2nd. I don't think I will get to hit it til Saturday morning.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

in hand.

Just arrived today?

Yes

in hand.

No idea, just pre-ordered on the 2nd. I don't think I will get to hit it til Saturday morning.

WOW! I was flying down the freeway thinking mine might be there as well. I ordered mine on the second. Not to be however. My wait continues.... :(

Well sounds like Shiels is not a fan of the pro irons performance. Loved the looks tho

Tough to judge the performance of them when he was hitting a few an inch off center or fat. No club will fix that. The low spin on well struck shots is more concerning however.

Just goes to show Rick has no idea what he's talking about in regards to spin and most golfers don't know what they are talking about in terms of spin and holding greens. He's already a low spin player as it is - just watch his driver reviews, he never spins anything too much. If the apex of the flight is high enough and the decent angle is steep enough, you'll have plenty of stopping power on the greens. A lower spin flight is going to be much less effected by the wind - this is precisely what Rory has said and why he switched to the TP5 golf ball recently. His Epic Pro numbers were fantastic in my opinion.

As an example, comparing his numbers to the Ping i200 review he had the following (I only used a good strike since he mis-hit them so much - most likely a shaft issue as I likely wouldn't put him into a 105g PX LZ shaft):

Epic Pro

Ping i200

4.5 mph faster ballspeed, similar launch, slightly lower spin, but 4 YARDS higher peak height and a 1.5* steeper angle of descent. Along with 10 extra yards. So even though these are "stronger lofted" than the Pings, they are going 4 yards higher in the air with more ballspeed and 10 yards more distance. I'll take that 10 out of 10 times! Actually goes to show just how good the Epic Pros are...

The epic pros are good clubs. You don't have to convince me. I have hit them.

However, neither of those number sets include SS which is a direct factor on ball speed and distance. I know he typically does not provide it, but you can't take numbers across multiple days and compare them. Now, if his SS was the same for both of those shots then maybe I am wrong, but I doubt the Epics are producing 4-5 more MPH of ball speed with no increase in SS. Not to mention the epic pro's are 2* stronger in the 7 iron then the i200's. So ball speed should be higher with a lower lofted club. I agree that the LA/ peak height is impressive, but those two clubs are averaging less than a degree different on descent angle.

I think the issue is it's not really clear who these are marketed towards. If you have problems launching the ball or with distance it's clear the epic pro's are the way to go. But what demographic of player is going to have problems launching the golf ball and also be willing to spend 2 grand on a set of irons? Not that much overlap there. That is the problem with this club. If you really have problems save a grand and buy yourself a set of ping g irons.

Anyone got irons yet? Some retailers are saying no demo sets for several weeks, when I thought sale date was this Friday.

Waiting like a child on Christmas morning for mine. They were supposed to be delivered by 10:30 am today but because of severe weather in Louisville, the planes were delayed taking off very early this morning. So it will be by the end of day.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Anyone got irons yet? Some retailers are saying no demo sets for several weeks, when I thought sale date was this Friday.

Waiting like a child on Christmas morning for mine. They were supposed to be delivered by 10:30 am today but because of severe weather in Louisville, the planes were delayed taking off very early this morning. So it will be by the end of day.

Pros or Standard?

Standard

Callaway Chrome Soft

Spoke too soon. UPS just showed up. Range time tonight!!!! :)

Looking forward to your initial review.

Alright, so I got my 3 Hybrid to the range twice since last night :). FIrst impressions of this club is WOW. I cannot believe the distance compared to what I am used to. This thing is way longer than my current hybrid (Cobra Bio Cell), which I absolutely love and is automatic and a go to club for me. The EPIC I have hit about 200 balls now and I have tried to evenly hit about 60-70 balls in different settings - 20*, 21* and 22* to get a gauge on yardage, flight, etc.

Distance: Keep in mind that these yardages are rough and basically estimating from the markers on the range and I have shot with my rangefinder. Also considering I was hitting range balls. My current Cobra hybrid (set at 21.5) is consistent at around 180-185. The Epic is longer in every setting. Alot longer for me.

- 20* was close to 215-220ish (again, estimating based on the markers)

- 21* 210-215ish - really hard to gauge roll out at range, but again estimates

- 22* 205-210ish - Much better decent angle at 22 and felt like this will be my setting going forward

Again, very hard to get exacts until I get it to the course (Sunday will be a test for sure)

- The distance on this is actually an issue for me. I may go to the 4 Hybrid to get just slightly less yards (no one ever says that :) - For gapping in my clubs.

Flight: One thing I noticed was what seemed to be pretty drastic increases in flight height from 20-22*. I like my hybrid to fly higher and come down quickly. This is why I will be leaving it at 22* (at least untl my sickness of buying clubs kicks in and I order the 4 hybrid). For me, the flight at 20* seemed flatter than I expected. 21 and 22 degrees were much more like I was expecting. 21 and 22 being very close in height and shape. Flight consistently was very strong and, I guess the term would be penetrating. It was a bit windy this afternoon and it didnt seem to affect the shots at all.

Draw vs Fade: My typical shot is either straight or with a slight draw. Never fade. With my current hybrid, it is usually very consistent and usually no problems. If any, the occasional hook. The miss would always be a hook. With this EPIC, I really had to try and hook it (I tried just to see how far I had to go to get it to hook on some shots). If there was a miss for me with the EPIC, it was more of a fade. I thought it was alignment at first, but no, definitely miss was right for me with this club. Which is fine because I am working hard on the "eliminating one side of the course thing". Consistent, good strikes went my normal straight or slight draw. I dont think I am good enough to "work" the ball with consistentcy, so I try to keep my swing the same.

Feel/Sound: This hybrid feels SOLID and POWERFUL. Even slight of center strikes dont feel bad. I really tried to hit it in different spots on the face and even toe strikes didnt feel much different. Low strikes on the face definitely paid the price with less yardage. No question. The sound was not muted, more of a 'crack' sound, but not obnoxious.

Set up at address: In my opinion, the way the crown and face come together, I found it difficult to really get my alignment proper. It took me several shots to get the club in the position I wanted. After the two range sessions, it doesnt seem to be an issue now. Just something that stood out to me. The head is compact, similar to my Cobra. Maybe a touch smaller.

Shaft: I have the Recoil shaft in stiff with this club and man, what an awesome looking shaft. Its almost space age. Dont know how else to describe it. I really liked the feel of this shaft My swing is pretty fluid and I dont load heavy at the top. I may have even been able to go with the regular flex shaft. Once again, I will most likely try other shafts in my quest for the perfect feel of the club. :)

Headcover: Same as other EPICS only smaller. Thats what I tell my wife about something else, but thats a story for another day.

Grip: Same as other EPICS - Golf Pride multi compound.

Anyhow, that all I have for now. I am sure others with have their own experiences with it, but thought I would share mine so far. Have a good one.

They are finally here. Unfortunately too late to get out and hit.

Callaway Chrome Soft

They are finally here. Unfortunately too late to get out and hit.

Will they be sleeping in the bed or next to it?

They have to learn early where they belong. They will be sleeping in their bag.

Callaway Chrome Soft

If you want to follow the PXG model and go after the super-affluent consumer then I get it, but for goodness sake please come out with a good looking golf club. These are absolutely hideous, particularly compared to the Apex CF16 and their MB irons.

I honestly think they look better than the PXG's. Never liked the industrial-looking PXG's with screws all over them.

I also think some of you guys are confusing the market for these. They aren't designed for tour pros, and they aren't replacing the Apex. They aren't targeted towards me either, but I wish I had the $$$ to be in the market for these.

Epic Pro

Ping i200

The other issue I take with Rick's review is in comparison to the review he did on the PXG iron (almost exact specs in terms of loft, etc.) and he got nearly identical numbers... 5500ish spin and 181/182 carry. But he praised the PXG irons and had nothing negative to say. Maybe as time has gone on (the PXG review is Nov '16) he's changed his mind but similar performance and totally different reviews.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Alright, so I got my 3 Hybrid to the range twice since last night :). FIrst impressions of this club is WOW. I cannot believe the distance compared to what I am used to. This thing is way longer than my current hybrid (Cobra Bio Cell), which I absolutely love and is automatic and a go to club for me. The EPIC I have hit about 200 balls now and I have tried to evenly hit about 60-70 balls in different settings - 20*, 21* and 22* to get a gauge on yardage, flight, etc.

Distance: Keep in mind that these yardages are rough and basically estimating from the markers on the range and I have shot with my rangefinder. Also considering I was hitting range balls. My current Cobra hybrid (set at 21.5) is consistent at around 180-185. The Epic is longer in every setting. Alot longer for me.

- 22* 205-210ish - Much better decent angle at 22 and felt like this will be my setting going forward

Again, very hard to get exacts until I get it to the course (Sunday will be a test for sure)

- The distance on this is actually an issue for me. I may go to the 4 Hybrid to get just slightly less yards (no one ever says that :) - For gapping in my clubs.

Flight: One thing I noticed was what seemed to be pretty drastic increases in flight height from 20-22*. I like my hybrid to fly higher and come down quickly. This is why I will be leaving it at 22* (at least untl my sickness of buying clubs kicks in and I order the 4 hybrid). For me, the flight at 20* seemed flatter than I expected. 21 and 22 degrees were much more like I was expecting. 21 and 22 being very close in height and shape. Flight consistently was very strong and, I guess the term would be penetrating. It was a bit windy this afternoon and it didnt seem to affect the shots at all.

Draw vs Fade: My typical shot is either straight or with a slight draw. Never fade. With my current hybrid, it is usually very consistent and usually no problems. If any, the occasional hook. The miss would always be a hook. With this EPIC, I really had to try and hook it (I tried just to see how far I had to go to get it to hook on some shots). If there was a miss for me with the EPIC, it was more of a fade. I thought it was alignment at first, but no, definitely miss was right for me with this club. Which is fine because I am working hard on the "eliminating one side of the course thing". Consistent, good strikes went my normal straight or slight draw. I dont think I am good enough to "work" the ball with consistentcy, so I try to keep my swing the same.

Feel/Sound: This hybrid feels SOLID and POWERFUL. Even slight of center strikes dont feel bad. I really tried to hit it in different spots on the face and even toe strikes didnt feel much different. Low strikes on the face definitely paid the price with less yardage. No question. The sound was not muted, more of a 'crack' sound, but not obnoxious.

Set up at address: In my opinion, the way the crown and face come together, I found it difficult to really get my alignment proper. It took me several shots to get the club in the position I wanted. After the two range sessions, it doesnt seem to be an issue now. Just something that stood out to me. The head is compact, similar to my Cobra. Maybe a touch smaller.

Shaft: I have the Recoil shaft in stiff with this club and man, what an awesome looking shaft. Its almost space age. Dont know how else to describe it. I really liked the feel of this shaft My swing is pretty fluid and I dont load heavy at the top. I may have even been able to go with the regular flex shaft. Once again, I will most likely try other shafts in my quest for the perfect feel of the club. :)

Headcover: Same as other EPICS only smaller. Thats what I tell my wife about something else, but thats a story for another day.

Anyhow, that all I have for now. I am sure others with have their own experiences with it, but thought I would share mine so far. Have a good one.

Did you still fade it at 22*?

I'm considering the 4h but my natural flight is a fade so I'm curious that I might have trouble hitting it straight or drawing it if it has a natural fade bias.

Some more golf club porn.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Did you still fade it at 22*?

I'm considering the 4h but my natural flight is a fade so I'm curious that I might have trouble hitting it straight or drawing it if it has a natural fade bias.

Not so much, but was certainly a better flight for me. Weird, because I thought it would be the other way around. I also played with the "draw" setting. Absolutely NO for me - everything left. I am wondering how this is going to go with yardage, I may end up with the 4. I just dont know how 2 degrees can change that much, but it did for me. If it was only set at 20*, I wouldnt use the club. Set at 22*, pretty good. I am thinking 23* would be perfect for the yardage I want, etc. The other thing I mentioned was how the crown and face marry up. It is possible that maybe it was just my set up. I dont think so, but it is possible.

BTW, I checked the swingweights and they were all D1.5 to D2. The shafts were all + 1/4 inch and they were softstepped. Exactly as they were custom ordered.

Callaway Chrome Soft

You are almost forced into getting an Epic bag of some sort now. Cant have all that lime green being tarnished by red...

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

You are almost forced into getting an Epic bag of some sort now. Cant have all that lime green being tarnished by red...

I will not give up my 2016 Sun Mountain C-130S bag. It has lots of pockets, 14 club divider including a putter slot, and a true insulated cooler pocket. The club I belong to works best if you have a carry bag but I ride when I play so I want some cart bag features.

Callaway Chrome Soft

What's up with the lack of hybrid shaft options? For an expensive club, you're paying another $100 to get anything decent in it.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

I will not give up my 2016 Sun Mountain C-130S bag. It has lots of pockets, 14 club divider including a putter slot, and a true insulated cooler pocket. The club I belong to works best if you have a carry bag but I ride when I play so I want some cart bag features.

Don't blame you a bit for wanting to keep that bag. Best one on the market. I was just tossing some rocks at you since that seemed to be the only piece of non-Callaway equipment.

As an aside, I see that you're in GA. Fellow GA members represent.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.