2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Charley Hoffman Caddy Exchange

jrgolfer37

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a monster shot, and he had the right heart, but I think he was a bit misguided. With such little room to run a lower spinning 3w, he surely would have been able to land his 3rd shot closer to the pin (short pitch on from a nice lie) than the probably tough chip and run from a (likely) bad lie after hitting 3w.

I'm not taking anything away from that shot because it was an absolute ripper, but I think that shot was made out of frustration, rather than from brains. The percentage of his 3w shot sticking the green and giving him an easy 2 putt was just so unlikely. Laying up probably was the right idea in this specific case. But the fire and heart were admirable.

I love Charlie. He was the first tour pro I saw play. I went to Colonial in Fort Worth, walked to #17 tee box and there's this surfer looking dude with long hair about to tee off and i'm like, "who in the f*** is this guy?" I love the way he plays. All of that said, he didn't pull off the shot. He could have easily dunked it into the pond and still made par. He hit it into a terrible position and couldn't get up and down for a birdie. There's zero chance he's holding that green from 270 and had to hit the first two fee of it just to roll to the back fringe. Caddie was right.

He gave himself a look at eagle, even albatross was in play

41 years old and competing hard. Like it. My career is short on wins. Love it. No one remembers how many times you finished 2nd. Unless you're Jack.***

** and then only in majors.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I love Charlie. He was the first tour pro I saw play. I went to Colonial in Fort Worth, walked to #17 tee box and there's this surfer looking dude with long hair about to tee off and i'm like, "who in the f*** is this guy?" I love the way he plays. All of that said, he didn't pull off the shot. He could have easily dunked it into the pond and still made par. He hit it into a terrible position and couldn't get up and down for a birdie. There's zero chance he's holding that green from 270 and had to hit the first two fee of it just to roll to the back fringe. Caddie was right.

Nah. Not really. To those guys a good full wedge number is easier than a bump and run from deep junk anyday. The play was to layup to a good number and make birdie. He could hit 100 more of those and never hold that green. He doesn't hit it high enough. If he holds a green with 3 wood it's because he can land short and bounce up. Couldn't do that here because of water.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nah. Not really. To those guys a good full wedge number is easier than a bump and run from deep junk anyday. The play was to layup to a good number and make birdie. He could hit 100 more of those and never hold that green. He doesn't hit it high enough. If he holds a green with 3 wood it's because he can land short and bounce up. Couldn't do that here because of water.

This. Exactly. It was a great shot for the highlight reel but what did it accomplish? There was no way he could hit 3 wood that far and get it to hold which looked to be somewhat of a front pin over the water. I get his attitude of wanting to win, but it just wasn't the shot for the moment and I wonder if he might regret it a little now. Making birdie there may have given him a spark he needed coming down the stretch, instead of going through all that to just make par anyway, had to be a little demoralizing. I like CH, and root for him but I think he made the wrong choice here and the caddie deserves a little credit for trying to get him to lay up IMO.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

With his short game? no, no he he didnt.

i'd be willing to bet the vast majority of pros would rather chip their third from that lie than hit a wedge for their third from a perfect lie ... he's no seve with the short game, but that was a poor effort ... he's gonna get that chip within 5-8 feet more often than by hitting a wedge from 110 ...

I wonder if he was hoping to end up in that back bunker?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

i'd be willing to bet the vast majority of pros would rather chip their third from that lie than hit a wedge for their third from a perfect lie ... he's no seve with the short game, but that was a poor effort ... he's gonna get that chip within 5-8 feet more often than by hitting a wedge from 110 ...

I agree with this, but....BUT...what did he have to risk to get there? He risked bogey to have a slight advantage at making birdie. Laying up he risks par for a slight disadvantage to make birdie. All of that said I wish I made a living like CH.

Ha! I took a group of non-golfer friends to the old Turning Stone Championship years ago - they had the same reaction, "who is this guy?!" Followed him for a few holes, instant favorite golfer for all of them since. Now every time golf is on tv at a party/bar it's "How's Charley doing?" - a small but loyal following.

Charlie crunched that fairway wood. Not sure about hearing a caddy say I will let you do it.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

By the way....I don't want to be THAT guy.....but (I had to Google it to make sure) you spell it caddie, not caddy. A caddy is something used for storing tea, or to hold condiments such as a salt and pepper shaker on your table.

I'm not being snooty or the grammar police here, I looked it up the other day, because I really didn't know....and when I saw the title of this thread it caught my attention.

Carry on.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

i can't really blame the caddie....he was protecting his boss from making a high number---and also his commission!

but hoff gets all the credit here inspite of the result..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

That five iron from 228 was savage hoffGOAT

Not quite. He was 282 yards out and hit a fairway metal over the green. Watch the video.

From Pgatour.com

• Shot 2 298 yds to right rough, 51 ft 3 in. to hole
  • Shot 1 369 yds to left intermediate, 282 yds to hole

No. He hit a fairway wood.

Yeah OK. Was it persimmon, laminated or hickory?

Not quite. He was 282 yards out and hit a fairway metal over the green. Watch the video.

From Pgatour.com

Do you call irons "steels"?

Part of me felt as if he was having that conversation for the camera. Mainly because I had never heard that side of him in any tournament.

I thought that as well, but it IS difficult to hear anything in real time when there's a battle for attention coming from the network crew.

Spewed drivel over several exchanges.

The actual golf being played comes in fourth, after the company, the sponsors, and the egos are well-served.

I think this was awesome. He thought he needed eagle birdie birdie to have a chance. He was 3 back with 3 to go and he even said Hideki isn't seeming to back up. He hits it in the water and can still get up and down for par so I like this choice. Playing to win at this point means he is playing with a strong passion to win and not to just grab a paycheck which is nice (although a paycheck from WGC is pretty nice heh).

Props to Hoffman. I'm a fan.

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

From Pgatour.com

Do you call irons "steels"?

It's a long 5 par

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Yep.

He increased his odds of scoring an albatross, eagle, and birdie by getting over the green. Didn't work out, but trying to win a tournament it was the correct play. If there was something on the line like "Top 5 qualifies automatically qualifies for X event", then maybe laying up was the correct play, but the downside was losing a few marginal meaning FedEx Cup points? No. You go for it.

"If you wanna do this, I'll let you do it"

?????

Seriously, I don't care who his caddie is, he not only said that prior to Charley air mailing that ball, you can hear him repeat it at the end of the video as they're walking in that Charley's confidence was why he "allowed" Charley to go for it.

Haha, that clown would be wearin my metal for braces, lmao

"I'll let you do it"

Where do they get these clowns??

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24