2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Cobra's new King F8 drivers, woods, hybrids and irons

GolfWRX

Im gonna give the F8 3w a go. On order with Hzrdus red 75 6.0 shaft. See if it can touch my steady eddy reliable Ping g25.

You may find the same thing I found when I bought the F8 plus driver. I actually like to carry my G 25 driver as well, I got room, just depends on what shot I want to hit they're both very reliable and I'll never get rid of it .

Well, I wont carry 2 of the same club like you, but hey if it works and you got room go for it. It fits you, your needs, and game so why not! I have had the g25 3w in my bag since they were released. Fell in love with it from the very first swing. Been thru a couple shafts (stock, speeder 7.3, Matrix RUL, now UST Silver TourSPX 7s) and it does everything I want it to do. Mainly, hit fairways with ease. Not the longest club out there - I play it around 240, but its reliable and the space between my ears brims with confidence when I pull it out of the bag.

The F8 has a tall order - and will try to do what no other 3w has been able to do, and I have tried to bag numerous combos since g25 went in the kit.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my driver. Took out my Nike vapor fly and my f8+ and it wasn’t even close. The F8+ just felt more natural to swing and it had a nice fade compared to the Nike wanting to go left on me. The f8+ so far has been consistent for me and that’s what I want the most. It can still get out there just like any driver. Last years m1 was long but on bad days it would just go low left and no where. Hit one high toe I thought I was going to lose the ball and it just had a draw that ended up in a green side bunker on a 320yd par 4

Update on my driver. Took out my Nike vapor fly and my f8+ and it wasn't even close. The F8+ just felt more natural to swing and it had a nice fade compared to the Nike wanting to go left on me. The f8+ so far has been consistent for me and that's what I want the most. It can still get out there just like any driver. Last years m1 was long but on bad days it would just go low left and no where. Hit one high toe I thought I was going to lose the ball and it just had a draw that ended up in a green side bunker on a 320yd par 4

Dam 320 in this frigid cold we are having in San jose!?!?! you make me want to get a F8 now... you long

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Update on my driver. Took out my Nike vapor fly and my f8+ and it wasn’t even close. The F8+ just felt more natural to swing and it had a nice fade compared to the Nike wanting to go left on me. The f8+ so far has been consistent for me and that’s what I want the most. It can still get out there just like any driver. Last years m1 was long but on bad days it would just go low left and no where. Hit one high toe I thought I was going to lose the ball and it just had a draw that ended up in a green side bunker on a 320yd par 4

It’s funny what you said about hitting it off the tow. I’m 64 so when I hit it 250 I feel pretty good and I hit one off the toe today right down the middle with my F8 plus and I tell you, the way it actually felt, it felt like half the ball was outside the toe LOL, I mean I actually almost missed the ball. I was really trying a big inside out swing.

I was at the PGA show in North Carolina this Tuesday talking to cobra and it’s no fluke there’s nothing out there comparing to this driver right now. As I mentioned on here one time before I actually put a regular 60 g shaft in and I always hit stiff and I let a guy hit it, and he hits X shafts he could not believe how straight and long he hit it. He plays an epic and he was just totally confused how good he hit that even with a regular flex Kuro Kage shaft .

I currently play the Fly Z

Does the F8 have a similar fade bias?

(I know i know its more my swing and less the driver but it took me a long time to adjust when i got it and three shaft changes and adjustments to start playing the fade).

Don't really need to upgrade but gotta admit it has me considering it- plus I've tried to explain to the Mrs I have missed the F6, F7, and LTD during this time so I have technically been patient.

I currently play the Fly Z

Does the F8 have a similar fade bias?

(I know i know its more my swing and less the driver but it took me a long time to adjust when i got it and three shaft changes and adjustments to start playing the fade).

Don't really need to upgrade but gotta admit it has me considering it- plus I've tried to explain to the Mrs I have missed the F6, F7, and LTD during this time so I have technically been patient.

Regular F8 is draw bias I think. F8+ sets up pretty neutral to my eye. Ive hit it with the stock shaft. Did not see enough to move from my LTD pro.

That is just my opinion and thought - could be wrong on the bias and setup thing too.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Just got back from Pinehurst. First 6 rounds with the F8+ are in the books. 108 holes in 4 days. I hit some awesome drives for me, and some awful drives. I finally was able to pull hook the driver.

Most surprising stat: A grand total of two lost balls via driver for the whole trip. (I did lose one other ball with a 4h). My misses were manageable, and for the most part playable. I had to pitch out sideways a bunch of times, but I salvaged bogey more often than not.

The best drives were some of my best-ever drives, and the worst ones, tho plenty bad, were playable for the most part. Contact was all over the face due to my own craptastic, tired swings.

Ratings

Feel/sound: stellar

Distance: very good

Forgiveness: excellent

My setup: 9.5*, 12g in the front position, Hzrdus Black 6.0. Custom order direct from Cobra.

The negative: CobraConnect/Arrcos. Found out that I can’t play with my phone in my front pocket, so it’s a no-go for me as of now. I’m sure there’s a way to do it manually, but I didn’t want to figure it out while on a golf vacation. Was too busy having fun to want to get bogged down by fiddling with ny phone all the time.

I haven’t tested any other 2018 drivers, but I’m sure that they’re all very good if fitted properly. I just got lucky with my blind bought cobra F8+. At the very least, it’s a must-demo imho.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Just got back from Pinehurst. First 6 rounds with the F8+ are in the books. 108 holes in 4 days. I hit some awesome drives for me, and some awful drives. I finally was able to pull hook the driver.

Most surprising stat: A grand total of two lost balls via driver for the whole trip. (I did lose one other ball with a 4h). My misses were manageable, and for the most part playable. I had to pitch out sideways a bunch of times, but I salvaged bogey more often than not.

The best drives were some of my best-ever drives, and the worst ones, tho plenty bad, were playable for the most part. Contact was all over the face due to my own craptastic, tired swings.

Ratings

Feel/sound: stellar

Distance: very good

Forgiveness: excellent

My setup: 9.5*, 12g in the front position, Hzrdus Black 6.0. Custom order direct from Cobra.

The negative: CobraConnect/Arrcos. Found out that I can't play with my phone in my front pocket, so it's a no-go for me as of now. I'm sure there's a way to do it manually, but I didn't want to figure it out while on a golf vacation. Was too busy having fun to want to get bogged down by fiddling with ny phone all the time.

I haven't tested any other 2018 drivers, but I'm sure that they're all very good if fitted properly. I just got lucky with my blind bought cobra F8+. At the very least, it's a must-demo imho.

They have a new fob that will be coming out later this spring and will allow you not to use your phone, a lot of people will be going this way.

So for the past 3 weeks I have been looking for an outdoor fitter(both of the big indoor folks didn't have enough space for the Trackman to work at my ball speed) I tried another outdoor fitter but they had a severe lack of X flex options to test. However at the outdoor center I was able to test my 816 DBD and get some good numbers on it, to use them to go to an indoor GC2 location to try and make at least a somewhat informed decision.

Saturday was spent hitting my 816 DBD in a few bays to figure out which one was giving me the best numbers. Once that was done I started with Callaway, Cobra, Ping, Mizuno, Titleist, and TM working through their X flex options. They even went to the the rack and pulled a shaft here and there to try all options. After the first day I had a short list(remember this isn't a list with all shafts, but with what they had on hand). Yes I know some Manufacturers are left out, but if they didn't have a decent weight X flex to try, I didn't even bother. I have played 65 to 80 gram driver shafts forever, when I go lighter it messes up my timing.

Sunday I worked the same way, making sure I had a GC2 bay that was giving me close numbers to my Trackman data with my Gamer. I then worked through the list backwards. I didn't want tired swing the first day to be an issue for the later clubs. At this point I had a short list.

Monday I went back and tested the M3(460), G400 LST, and Cobra F8+. I took three swings with each and switched and went through the group. I used one Srixon Z Star XV for all tests. In the end I got these averages that are attached.....

The dispersion of the F8+ was the big reason for the win. I didn't really care about distance too much. I think if Ping may have had some other shafts to test (they only had the Ping Tour 75 in X) it could have performed close. I expected the DBD to be slower and shorter due to it only being 44.5 in length(I tried everything to straighten it out). The offline on the DBD was very similar to what I had been seeing on the course(which is why I was searching). I was shocked that the M3 had the slowest ball speeds. The first two days the Rogue SZ had the fastest ball speeds(by a smidge over the F8+) but I was seeing a 2 way miss. They just didn't have any shafts that agreed with me.

I was hitting the F8+ driver so well that I went and hit the F8+ three wood(Since they had it in X with a 75 gram shaft as well) and it flat out smoked the competition, I didn't write down numbers on it, because it wasn't even close dispersion wise. The distances were close(as long as your shaft isn 't way off the distance numbers shouldn't be a huge difference) but again the dispersion won me over.

Driver -

Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 in X

3 Wood -

Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75 in X

Sure I went in knowing I couldn't get the "BEST" fit and that I may end up using a few of the old shafts I have lying around to tweak, but I wanted something that performed well enough to play right now.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

So I searched through this thread and didn't see any F7 3/4 vs F8 3/4 comparisons. Does anyone have experience between the two? If so, thoughts?

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

So I searched through this thread and didn't see any F7 3/4 vs F8 3/4 comparisons. Does anyone have experience between the two? If so, thoughts?

I had a F7 in Blue. The major difference for me between the two was that the F7 sat closed to my eye. I am sure it is probably square or close, but to my eye it looked closed. Since I never hit the F7 in the same simulator as the F8+ fairway I cannot comment on distance other than I imagine they are close if both have a shaft suited for you.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

The negative: CobraConnect/Arrcos. Found out that I can't play with my phone in my front pocket, so it's a no-go for me as of now. I'm sure there's a way to do it manually, but I didn't want to figure it out while on a golf vacation. Was too busy having fun to want to get bogged down by fiddling with ny phone all the time.

They have a new fob that will be coming out later this spring and will allow you not to use your phone, a lot of people will be going this way.

interesting. is there a link? google results are uninformative.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

My Golf Galaxy store told me, I searched too, and couldn't find anything, he said they have yet to announce it

My Golf Galaxy store told me, I searched too, and couldn't find anything, he said they have yet to announce it

I think he is confused. Game Golf is releasing a new version that uses a fob that you don't have to tag or keep your phone on you anymore.

I think he is confused. Game Golf is releasing a new version that uses a fob that you don't have to tag or keep your phone on you anymore.

Didn't even know game golf was still in business,lol... Arccos will have one, just not sure when.....

I stumbled across the F8+ 4-5 fairway wood with the Aldila green shaft a few weeks ago. I was blown away by how good it felt (indoors at PGASS) and decided to give it a go... After 2 rounds and some range time, I am amazed how good this club is! This honeymoon period has got me chafed with excitement!

So now I’m wondering if the drivers are just as good? Anybody playing both fairway and driver? Finding good results with the same shafts? I’m going to test some myself, but I Iove the Aldila green and performance of the fairway...

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Im gonna give the F8 3w a go. On order with Hzrdus red 75 6.0 shaft. See if it can touch my steady eddy reliable Ping g25.

I just quoted myself, lol. Club is in my hands. Passes the eyeball test, looks good. Passes the waggle and air swing test. Gonna give it a whirl at the range tomorrow after work.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I just quoted myself, lol. Club is in my hands. Passes the eyeball test, looks good. Passes the waggle and air swing test. Gonna give it a whirl at the range tomorrow after work.

I went into the season mainly looking for a new driver. After a long three days I ended up with the F8+ and the Aldila NV 2KXV Green. Well, I hadn't planned on getting a 3 wood, but after hitting it compared to my 3 wood in the SIM I went ahead and bought it to. Unfortunately have had rain on Wednesday and again today, so I won't get them out on the course until Friday, or maybe Saturday.

Another round with the F8 3w.. it's pretty much confirmed this puppy is legit. Short little par 4, I took it off the tee because of OB both sides, and it carried a cool 250 (then plugged into the mush fairway). My driver only carries around 260-265 on good hits. Unless you really just like a smaller head I see no reason to get the F8+.

Another round with the F8 3w.. it's pretty much confirmed this puppy is legit. Short little par 4, I took it off the tee because of OB both sides, and it carried a cool 250 (then plugged into the mush fairway). My driver only carries around 260-265 on good hits. Unless you really just like a smaller head I see no reason to get the F8+.

I was getting higher launch angle, lower spin and more distance with F8+ 3w in a couple sim sessions. Add in that I like the smaller head profile, with the blue evenflow and its due to arrive any day now.

So I had my first range session with the F8/Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 shaft. Outdoor range (grass tees) are closed here in Cincy as we have had rain of biblical proportion lately. So I had to hit in the covered bays off mats. Not my preference and not where I hit my best shots with driver, 3w, hybrid, and longer irons. Always been that way. Never feel comfortable swinging in that configuration. Freedom to swing stuff. Anyway.....

Did my normal routine with warming up, etc....it was raining steadily and temp was around 55.

Pulled my gamer, Ping g25, and hit it ok. Nothing special. Normal flight, normal distance it seemed - maybe a little shorter due to temps and rain. But again, what I expected given where I was and the conditions. Then pulled the F8. Hit it further, but more crooked, as in high draw to the right (Im a lefty). Ive played the g25 since it came out so I am super familiar and comfortable with the setup. Cobra will need to be hit outside on grass to see what I get. I was centering it up well based on ball marks. Guess we need it to dry out and see how it goes. But I will say this - usually I can tell if something has promise or needs to go straight to BST. The F8 is still under consideration, which means I liked it enough to keep testing it. Will take a tall order to unseat the steady eddy Ping though.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5