Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

jjohn1022

It was the winter of 05-06 and I was in high school, I was hitting balls next to Steve Stricker right before his comeback in the dead of winter in WI.

Didn't realize it was him until his coach, Tiziani, pulled me aside and introduced me. Steve didn't miss a shot the whole time, baby draws with perfect balance the whole time...

I was at the range by my work last summer and looking for a stall and there is a guy there that looked just like Stricker. Had a tour bag and blades and was wearing very nice golf clothes. I milled about a little bit being in the presence of royalty. Watched him hit a shot. Then another. It wasn't Stricker. LOL.

Another cool experience I had about 30 years ago at Spyglass. I can't remember what day it was but Jack Nicklaus was playing with Arnie, and maybe Greg Norman...anyway, it was a superstar group that everyone was following that day. I had taken my dingey girlfriend (at the time) to her first event and, of course, she knew nothing of golf and its etiquette. We were standing up above the fourth green at Spyglass and Nicklaus landed his approach shot about a foot in front of us in the sandy waste area. She hadn't seen it land and when she finally noticed, she says, "hey look!" and picks the ball up before I could stop her. She kind of threw it back down like it was a hot potato and backed up a few steps. When Jack came up to hit his shot, he asked where his ball was before it was moved, etc. and I guess he asked who picked it up. She sheepishly waved to indicate that it was her and she added an apology. She was a really cute girl and Jack was very friendly with her...no problem until she blurts out, "wow, you look just like my Dad!", which was true. We spent a few more hours watching the play and headed to the car at the end of the day. On our way there, I told her about Jack and who he was and how he was the greatest of all time, etc. and how special that moment was (like she cared). I got to our car and got all our stuff loaded up in the back and just as I was getting in, I see Jack walking up to get in the car parked right in front of us!?!?. There was literally nobody else around and what he was doing in that parking lot was a total mystery. It was very strange and sort of Twilight Zone-ish. He says, "so, I look just like your Dad?" he says. She laughed and showed him a photo and he laughed and agreed. She asked him for an autograph for her Dad. It was cool....Jack was cool, and very friendly. I've been around him in crowds on several occasions since then and I've always seen the same friendly guy in action. For some reason, he doesn't come off so well on TV or interviews but he's a good dude, that Jack.

Quite a few over the years, but not in the same group unless it was in a Pro-Am round.

Remembering Bill Russell. A nice gentleman, Very nice and kind to golfers whom say hi and engage in a short conversation. Still towering over most of the golfers even at his super senior status. Was very surprised to see that he could fit in a MB SUV.

Bruno Mars was at the tee box with a bunch of entourage ( must be 3 golf carts on that tee box ) while I walked down the adjacent fairway. I took notice because there were just too many "golfers" on one tee box. He has a nice golf swing.

A Rod ( Alex Roddriquez ) and Junior (ken griffey jr. ) and their team catcher from the Mariners were in the front of our team when this local link style opened it's first 18. They could hit their drive a LONG way but all had a curve to it. Of course Junior tee shot curved to the left ( being a lefty ). Later I also played with 3 coaching staff from the MLB when their 4th did not show up ( Pitching coach, Bullpen coach, and catcher coach ), they could hit long. They were also amuse at why tee shots could not go as long as in Arizona...... welcome to Seattle.

There were a couple of important business icon from around here played golf at sometime in their life, but I guess they have better use for their time than to spend it on the golf course. It's what they say, when one has a million things going for them, time flies.

Bill Russell plays at numerous golf courses around the Seattle area. I've seen him at Riverbend, Fairwood, Allenmore and other courses, and spoken to him several times. Seems like a nice guy.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Jeter

LT

Every famous hockey player at Gretzky's event .. plus Elway and Barkley

Are you from near Brantford?

90 mins. I am north of Toronto. I played in Gretzky's Nationwide event in Collingwood. All the big names were there .. Messier, Coffey, Hull etc t was a hoot. I had a Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup ring on for 30 minutes at one point in the bar.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

While on the range with my teacher, Mario Lemieux walks and says hi to my teacher because he gives him lessons too. Said hi to me too. It was in the sling and the Penguins just won their first round series in the playoffs and guys were going up to him just bs-ing about the team and how well they played. Just normal guy talk. Seemed like a genuine guy and around a scratch cap from what I was told.

I’m about 6’2” and he towered over me. As a lifelong Pittsburgh resident, that was a pretty cool moment. Looked at my teacher and said “Coach, that’s Mario Lemieux...” He just started laughing lol Mario and a few former Penguins have a game there pretty much every day, so after that first time, it was pretty common to see Mario.

My wife is still mad at me that I have t got a picture or autograph with him. But at the club, he just wants to be one of the guys and work on his game. So I’m not going to bother him with that stuff.

Bill Russell plays at numerous golf courses around the Seattle area. I've seen him at Riverbend, Fairwood, Allenmore and other courses, and spoken to him several times. Seems like a nice guy.

Bill Russell used to have a house next to the NorthShore Golf Course and played there almost every week with his buddies. Also saw him at the Jefferson Park before that golf course shortened many of their holes because of the complain from the house owners in the area.

Ken Griffey Jr. used to have a house off the Black Nugget road before the whole neighborhood exploded into a huge development.

I mentioned these location because they're no longer residing there.

Many other celebrity also made home in the Puget Sound Area. Running into them on the golf courses is quite common.

Spud Webb - returned a wedge that had crawled away from him. Nice surprise for an ATL boi that grew up in Spud and Nique’s hay day.

Chris Webber, see him here and there at my home course. Cool he just plays at my Club Corp course a lot when he could obviously be wearing out ATL’s top private options...maybe he does that as well. Was playing with my college roommate from back in the day who is a die hard Michigan fan and had to say hello. He was very chill and down to earth. No big timer vibe whatsoever.

The Rick character from The Walking Dead frequents my home course as well. I try not to bother folks but he was super nice to my friends wife who is a big fan.

Ran into Bo Jackson at my club last year. He was in the area for a pro am, and was playing an afternoon warmup round. Spoke with him on the putting green, very respectable guy, and he is still a beast!

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Years ago as I was getting in my car at Edgewood in Tahoe, Bo and John Derek along with Loni Anderson and some guy were getting out of their car next to us. The then gf shrieked "thats......" and O mentioned that Im sure they are well aware of who they are. Said hi and moved on.

Thanks for not mentioning me by name as "the other guy", I like to keep my anonymity, but it was nice to meet you also! Loni was a great date that night, and acted like a perfect lady even though she kept getting calls from Burt Reynolds all night?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Jeter

LT

Every famous hockey player at Gretzky's event .. plus Elway and Barkley

Are you from near Brantford?

90 mins. I am north of Toronto. I played in Gretzky's Nationwide event in Collingwood. All the big names were there .. Messier, Coffey, Hull etc t was a hoot. I had a Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup ring on for 30 minutes at one point in the bar.

That’s awesome. What course in Collingwood is host? He used to have a tournament in Brantford at the BGCC, but I don’t think they’ve had it for some years. Saw Mike Bullard there - what a day.

Not a non golfer at a golf course, but I did play poker a few times w Paul Azinger,he was a bunch of fun. So I guess that's the opposite of this thread...

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

Goose Gossage used to golf in our member guest at my country club nearly every year. He was always pretty cool with me.My sister sold him his house and I had met him once or twice before. I did golf with Steve Flesh in a charity event at the Broadmoor years ago. What a ringer to have in your foursome...let me tell ya!

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I have played with the following:

Orel Hershiser

Tiger Woods

Don Newcombe

McLean Stevenson (and his wife)

Tom Tolbert

Vince Ferragamo

Dennis Haysbert

Eric Karros

Mike Piazza

Todd Zeile

Torrey Lovullo

Jim Mora

Jim Harrick

Patrick Cantlay

Paul Goydos

John Merrick

Travis Johnson

Tom Bynum

Curt Byrum

Kevin Chappell

Steve Pate

Dutch Harrison

Rick Neuheisel

Kevin Na

Dave Stockton, jr.

I may be forgetting some. I'm happy to elaborate on the specifics of any of these.

Do so!

Mclean Stevenson always cracked me up.

Oops, saw your reply about him after I posted.....

Not while playing golf, but because of golf....

My brother in law used to manage a hotel restaurant in a small town. Alice Cooper was staying there because he was playing an event nearby. He was eating at the restaurant and my BIL asked if there was anything he could do for him. He says "can I borrow your car? I want to go golfing." BIL isn't prepared for this request and blurts out "sure thing" and tossed him the keys. So Alice Cooper took my BIL's 2000 Monte Carlo for the day. Brought it back that night, said, thanks, gave him a bunch of tickets to his show.

Michael Jordan played in the club championship at a course I used to play regularly outside Chicago. I've run into Mike Modano (Dallas Starts), Tony Romo (Cowboys) and Todd Hamilton (PGA) at a course I used to belong to here in the Dallas area.

yep,

saw Modano and Brett Hull at Walnut Hill in '99

as for others, while living in LA, I had a regular foursome that played at least every other Sunday at Roosevelt 9 in Griffith Park. I dunno how many actors I saw hacking around that place. So many familiar faces but few famous names.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Spotted Tony Bellew (boxer) at my local course a couple of years ago. He wasn’t too complimentary about the condition of the course (he was right to be too, as it’s in a terrible state of disrepair). He took to twitter to vent his anger —->

https://mobile.twitter.com/tonybellew/status/754292870648041472

Here's a couple.

#1. Back in the early to mid 70's (hazy now as the days go by!) my kid sister and I were camping with our family at Henry Horton State Park in Chapel Hill, TN. I was maybe 15 years old and my sister was 12. I was already totally in love with the game of golf and we talked our parents into letting us go to the park golf course to play. We rented a cart, clubs for the sis and proceeded to act like idiots, especially with the cart. It was early, the dew was plentiful and my sister was driving and threw me outta' the cart once with a bat-turn to the left when she sighted her ball. I did my best Superman impersonation and must have slid 15 feet on my face.

We were standing on the par 3 number 16 tee and these 2 other carts come bombing up. This guy pops out, walks over to me, shakes my hand and says, "Hey, how ya' doing, I'm Hubert Green, mind if we play through?" I says sure, moron that I am wondering who the hell Hubert Green is. He flipped his cigarette on the ground, drops a ball and proceeds to flop it to within 4 or 5 feet. Amazing. The rest of his four-some plays to the green in almost similar fashion, Hubert thanks us with a flourish, shakes my hand again, and they're gone. Cool as hell. I've always wondered who the other cats were he was playing with.....

#2. In the early 80's, not nearly the neophyte golf-wise that I was back in the 70's, I was playing regularly at Harpeth Hills in Nash-Vegas on Sunday mornings with a my buddy Tommy who had a regular early tee time. He always just booked 2 slots for us and knew the starter well and the starter would usually group us with another 2-some that was cool. I was on the putting green and Tommy comes up and says, I got us a pair of guys to play with, lets go. Get to the 1st tee and it's Faron Young (Hello Walls) and his bus driver. We had a freaking ball. He was full of stories, as you might imagine. Played pretty well too. Insisted on buying beers and hot-dogs at the turn. Both were totally great guys. We were lucky enough to get to play with them 4 different times over the summer. Made my mom crazy. Was really saddened to hear of his suicide in 1996.