Tiger Woods WITB: 2018 Wells Fargo (New TW-PHASE1 irons)

GolfWRX

No better time to take orders for Artisan custom irons than right now Mr. Mike Taylor...

They’re way too busy right now. I was asking about wedges and they said they are not even taking orders right now unless you are “friends or family” status or have an in with some friends and family....or obviously if you are a tour player or top amateur. All of us nobodys have to wait a bit.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These Irons clearly stem from a conversation had when Tiger was first signed with TM... Probably went something like this:

TaylorMade " Hey Tiger great to have you on board, we cant wait to get you into our PSi's"

Tiger ( Tiger takes one look at them )

"Guys I don't know how it works for your other players but no chance I'm using those"

TaylorMade " Well we do have some other great- " ( Gets cut off )

Tiger " Let me stop you right there. You guys know I'm Tiger Woods right? I'm only going to use blades built exactly to my specs. Maybe I'll consider a driving iron in the 2 iron but as far as 3-pw I need blades, & Not just any blades, Mike Taylor ground blades."

TaylorMade " Unfortunately Tiger we don't have Mike on staff since he started his own thing with Artisan golf but we have a great team of - " ( Cut off again )

Tiger " I don't think you heard me, I said Mike Taylor ground blades. Don't worry, I have a bunch of back up sets I'm happy to use while you figure out a way to get Mike Taylor to make my irons for me with your logo on them, we can just call them TGR Blades for now"

TaylorMade ( reluctantly - with dead eyes ) " Well Tiger if that's what you want to do I'm sure we can talk to Mike and his team "

Tiger ( Very Direct ) " That's Exactly what I want "

TaylorMade ( Yelling into a crowd ) " HEY - Can someone get Mike Taylor over at Artisan Golf on the phone!! We have a project for him. "

These Irons clearly stem from a conversation had when Tiger was first signed with TM... Probably went something like this:

TaylorMade " Hey Tiger great to have you on board, we cant wait to get you into our PSi's"

"Guys I don't know how it works for your other players but no chance I'm using those"

Tiger " Let me stop you right there. You guys know I'm Tiger Woods right? I'm only going to use blades built exactly to my specs. Maybe I'll consider a driving iron in the 2 iron but as far as 3-pw I need blades, & Not just any blades, Mike Taylor ground blades."

TaylorMade " Unfortunately Tiger we don't have Mike on staff since he started his own thing with Artisan golf but we have a great team of - " ( Cut off again )

Tiger " I said Mike Taylor ground blades or Nothing, Dont worry either I have a bunch of back up sets that I'm happy to use while you figure out a way to get Mike Taylor to make my irons for me, we can just call them TGR Blades for now"

TaylorMade " well Tiger if that's what you want to do I'm sure we can talk to Mike and his team "

Tiger " That's Exactly what I want "

TaylorMade ( Yelling into a crowd ) " HEY - Can someone get Mike Taylor over at Artisan Golf on the phone!! We have a project for him. "

I appreciate the time this took and how humorous I found it, well done.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Tiger " I said Mike Taylor ground blades or Nothing, Dont worry either I have a bunch of back up sets that I'm happy to use while you figure out a way to get Mike Taylor to make my irons for me, we can just call them TGR Blades for now"

TaylorMade " well Tiger if that's what you want to do I'm sure we can talk to Mike and his team "

And it's probably not too far off from the actual conversation.

No better time to take orders for Artisan custom irons than right now Mr. Mike Taylor...

They’re way too busy right now. I was asking about wedges and they said they are not even taking orders right now unless you are “friends or family” status or have an in with some friends and family....or obviously if you are a tour player or top amateur. All of us nobodys have to wait a bit.

Yeah, I got the same response, only mine was basically a form letter that didn't even say the friends and family part and then closed with how they'd love to make me a $900 putter....

Really put a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, don't tell me you can't make wedges right now when I can obviously see via your IG account that you're making a crap ton of wedges.

It’s Already asses and elbows in Texas now. I doubt he’d be caught up in a year if he stopped taking work in now. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Anybody else notice the progressive width of the muscle partnof the blades?

Seems to be shallower in long iron and have significantly more meat working higher up the blade to the top line in short iron. I know this isn't uncommon, however to my eye looks like in the short irons not only is the muscle stretch quite a bit to top line but looks more so on toe than on heel.

Something to what Vapor Pro had with extra toe weight to move cg perhaps?

It’s Already asses and elbows in Texas now. I doubt he’d be caught up in a year if he stopped taking work in now. Lol.

This^^^^ he is working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week, and he still doesn't have his new forgings to start building from. He is working off of old accumulated through the year forgings. Good for them but mike is not going to cut corners. Will be interesting to see how they manage the growth.

Yeah, I got the same response, only mine was basically a form letter that didn't even say the friends and family part and then closed with how they'd love to make me a $900 putter....

Really put a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, don't tell me you can't make wedges right now when I can obviously see via your IG account that you're making a crap ton of wedges.

There is over a 200 person waitlist for wedges as of last month. MT isn’t going to rush to get through those orders just to put something out there. He also hasn’t even has much time to even touch wedges lately. What you are seeing out on IG is for close friends family and tour players. It’s literally a few man show right now.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

The headshapes in the long irons look like mizuno mp14's blending into 681's in the mid/lower irons with nike grooves. That's a blend of all of the irons he's played on Tour. I wonder if these will hit retail??!!

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Tiger " I don't think you heard me, I said Mike Taylor ground blades. Don't worry, I have a bunch of back up sets I'm happy to use while you figure out a way to get Mike Taylor to make my irons for me with your logo on them, we can just call them TGR Blades for now"

TaylorMade ( reluctantly - with dead eyes ) " Well Tiger if that's what you want to do I'm sure we can talk to Mike and his team "

Tiger ( Very Direct ) " That's Exactly what I want "

I think it went more like this:

TaylorMade - "Tiger, we'd like to have you on staff and we'll pay more than anyone else to make it happen."

Tiger - "OK, but I need irons built exactly to my specs. In fact, exactly like my Nike's. But you can put a TM logo on them."

TaylorMade - "Whatever you want, sir."

-5 degrees bounce on those irons!!

Really? I suppose it’s hard to tell exactly from the pictures but they look to have some bounce to me... the shorter irons especially...

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Even though the blade design is the same I still like the TGR blades better than this Phase1 proto, way more classy and unique. If I was Tiger I would've told TM that I would keep playing the TGRs and they could put their logo on the toe. I think it would also be more appealing to consumers if they released it like that either with the TGR logo or the TW logo on the center of the muscle.

I don't think TM will be releasing any "Tiger" blades anytime soon. TM would either have to pay Mike Thomas a ton of $ for the blade specs or forging dies and/or spend even more $$$ to commission their own forging dies. ...of course they would then release a "limited" run of iron sets in the Vault and sell it for like $3k with no custom options! Haha!

You can tell by the irons he really was fond of the Mizunos he played as a youngster.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

So it definitely looks like Artisan made Tiger's clubs this time, who will be producing the retail version mentioned in the other thread and confirmed by TM? (certainly not artisan) Or will they just be similar looking TM forgings for the mass offering?

Why not Artisian? They are set up for it. Limited run for tour or special retail run. Perfect for the Artisian crew.

Nice.

Side inquiry - which versions of the Pro Orange have the Tungsten Prepeg decal on the butt end? Mine doesn't have it...

All the new Pro Orange have that symbol on it. It was just recently added.

Toll, do they even make a Pro Orange 90s?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

So it definitely looks like Artisan made Tiger's clubs this time, who will be producing the retail version mentioned in the other thread and confirmed by TM? (certainly not artisan) Or will they just be similar looking TM forgings for the mass offering?

Why not Artisian? They are set up for it. Limited run for tour or special retail run. Perfect for the Artisian crew.

Seems to fit their model pretty well, maybe they'll rename it the TM vault. (The new Nike Oven).

And it's probably not too far off from the actual conversation.

Only difference is that you probably just have to insert Steiny in instead of Tiger

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

What precipitated this mid-season change? it seems like the logical thing to do was switch prior to the season. One thought I had was that perhaps the grooves and faces of his old irons were getting a little dull (hence all the blown greens at the master). Just my thought process and i'm probably way off i'm sure.

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II