2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Graphite Iron Shafts, Comparisons

wrmiller

Coming from C taper do not consider NON Prototype Recoils for one second. Cross those off the list. Very spinny and very high.

Agree with previous post. Recoils have a nice lively kick to them. Steelfiber feel kind of dead. Perhaps My least favorite feeling graphite but a lower trajectory that many stronger players look for.

I second this. I played C taper 120s for many years but needed to go graphite for elbow issues. I had hit recoil protos in 125 in F4 but wanted to go lighter. Ordered a set of i200s with regular Recoils 110 in F5 thinking they might play similar to the heavier protos. Big mistake. They spin way too much. Now playing 95 protos in F4, so much better for my swing.

Well to confuse you more, I don't agree with either of these...it has to be pretty individual.

I came from C taper 120S and settled on Recoil 125 F5 and they are amazing. I do fine into the wind, balls don't back up like crazy, my accuracy seems the same and distance vs C taper is the same. If there is a lot of spin going on then it isn't hurting me.

I will say that I tried the non-prototypes and they were horrible. Extremely high flight and about a full 1 to 1-1/2 clubs short.

Thanks, I think. ;)

Do you know your 7 iron swing speed? Trying to compare apples to apples. :D

Honestly no clue what my 7i swing speed is but it is my 180 club under a no wind no elevation shot w/ Fly-Z+ irons

I just noticed no one has mentioned Mistubishi’s OT and OT Tour, if vibration dampening is a primary goal, the OT is the smoothest feeling shaft I have ever hit. The Tour version has taper tip and a more tip firm profile (Standard Steelfiber, Recoil 95 / 110), the standard OT is parallel and a little more linear in bend profile.

Expensive but very nice.

I haven't seen anyone toss Paderson in the mix. I personal love there shafts very consistent.

Now there's one I've never heard of. Will investigate, thanks. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

Diamana Thump 105 stiff for me. They play like steel feel like butter. They are the lowest torque graphite iron shafts I have found. They feel heavier than the listed weight. I have tried them all and these have been the best for me so far.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

Anyone interested in recoils and wants to keep the spin and flight down a bit need to go with the Prototypes. It’s well worth the extra few bucks. I like the standard ones but they go to the moon for me.

Contact Will Peoples for a good deal on a set. He will give you a nice discount from retail on a full set. And beware of fakes. There are fake prototypes all over the Bay now. If they seem too cheap to be true....they are!

Gegolf out of aledo Texas has been making a killing selling fakes for a couple months now. Peoples and UST both know about it. UST is too lazy to do anything about it legally. The guy is flooding the market with fakes. UST Wood shafts as well.

$190 for a set of 7 protos and he’s even encouraging best offers?!? They wholesale for $30-40 a shaft. And he has a seemingly endless supply at $25 a shaft?? Less eBay fees for him??? I don’t think so. Total epic scam. He’s probably getting these knock offs for $10 bucks a piece.

At this point I would never consider buying used “Prototypes” off the Bay because they may have originated with that guy.

I offered him less than 190 but he’a Holding at 190 for 4-pw

No way to spot a fake?

I did buy a recoil hybrid prototype shaft from him

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments.

I just ordered a set of Paderson KINETIXX TS-I and am looking forward to giving these a go.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

I spent a couple years testing graphites, somewhat sporadically. I built demo clubs with the retail version of the Recoil 125, the XCaliber TourX 105, and finally the Aldila NV105. The NV105 has been said to be d/c for a rather long time, but you can find them at Hireko; I'm not sure of the particulars, but I did get a full set, plus a couple individual shafts.

The Recoil went far too high for me. I'd hit that same clubhead with C Taper, the difference was stark. The TourX seemed fine, but they're no longer around, not much point in talking about them. The NV105, I'd read, was likened to DG in terms of trajectory, and I'd have to say I agree. My demo 8 iron had a good trajectory, and I found it worked well into headwinds. Because I've been something of a higher trajectory player, upwind shots have been a problem for me.

I went full set with the NV105, installing them in a set of Golden Rams. As with my demo club, I had no issues with winds, and would say my wind play improved with the NV shafts. I even saw a few yards of distance increase with these shafts (no data on exactly why, I'm afraid).

I did have occasional hook problems with the long irons, but after a while, it became apparent it was related to the lighter weight. I've always been a heavy shaft player, with my irons at D5 even with Super Peening Blue shafts. Dropping this much weight was a fair adjustment.

After a month or two of use, I noticed a lessening of an ache in my elbows, and my wrists to a lesser extent. I wasn't even aware of the ache until it disappeared, apparently having gotten so used to it being there.

I've been playing steel shafts in irons again this year and the elbows have begun to complain a bit. I'm looking at going back to the NV shafted Golden Rams, and will probably shaft up another set of irons with RIP Tour 115 shafts I'd picked up over the winter.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Tried a few before deciding on, and lovin', Recoil 110s. Steelfiber felt somewhat boardy, the Recoils are really close to my Tour Vs.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Paderson Kinetixx (Golfworks carries).

They are on the way. Will be building them this weekend. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Currently playing steelfiber i95 Stiff. I have had great luck with them but have a set of irons coming with the OTi 105 and I cannot wait to hit them. Will post once I get some time with them

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

Paderson Kinetixx (Golfworks carries).

They are on the way. Will be building them this weekend. :)

If they don't work out, get a Nunchuk XI to try out in your favourite short/medium iron.

I used to use C-Tapers also, and way back when it was True Temper or Rifle and that was pretty much about it, I loved Rifle 6.5's... don't think the Nunchuk will launch too high, is 100gm and very tip stiff without being boardy.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

KBS now offering graphite shafts. I haven't hit them, so I can't offer an opinion. Seen a few on the LPGA Tour so far.

Who has tested KBS graphite? Haven’t seen a review of the 90 to 110 gram versions.

The only thing that concerns me is they’re supposed to be just like the steel shafts. I never liked the steel shafts in the KBS Tour. I did like the C Taper though.

Coming from C taper do not consider NON Prototype Recoils for one second. Cross those off the list. Very spinny and very high.

Agree with previous post. Recoils have a nice lively kick to them. Steelfiber feel kind of dead. Perhaps My least favorite feeling graphite but a lower trajectory that many stronger players look for.

I second this. I played C taper 120s for many years but needed to go graphite for elbow issues. I had hit recoil protos in 125 in F4 but wanted to go lighter. Ordered a set of i200s with regular Recoils 110 in F5 thinking they might play similar to the heavier protos. Big mistake. They spin way too much. Now playing 95 protos in F4, so much better for my swing.

Well to confuse you more, I don't agree with either of these...it has to be pretty individual.

I came from C taper 120S and settled on Recoil 125 F5 and they are amazing. I do fine into the wind, balls don't back up like crazy, my accuracy seems the same and distance vs C taper is the same. If there is a lot of spin going on then it isn't hurting me.

I will say that I tried the non-prototypes and they were horrible. Extremely high flight and about a full 1 to 1-1/2 clubs short.

Very much what's happening to me. Really like the Recoil 110 F4 feel but the ball goes crazy high. And I'm not a particularly big hitter. When I crank up the swing the ball goes higher but not further. Overall, I am also a club or more short on these shafts.

Are you able to comment in any numerical terms the launch vs. spin difference between Recoil vs. Recoil Prototypes? Might get rid of the Recoil 110 and replace with Prototype 95 or Prototype 110 but there's no chance I'll get a chance to try so have to fly by the meters here.

For the record, steel is not an option given various joint health issues.

Edit: There's a number of threads about Prototype vs. non-Prototype and the opinions are very divided. Some say there's no difference and some say there's a clear difference. Kind of hard to figure it out with no chance to try the Prototypes.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

KBS now offering graphite shafts. I haven't hit them, so I can't offer an opinion. Seen a few on the LPGA Tour so far.

Who has tested KBS graphite? Haven’t seen a review of the 90 to 110 gram versions.

There's a thread with some testing info on the heavier versions. Apparently very similar to Steelfibres.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580668-kbs-graphite-iron-shaft/

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

I have a mixed bag due to switching to graphite shafts all at once and looking for deals, including Steelfiber 110 stiff (in Mizuno MP25 4-PW), Steelfiber 95 stiff (Mizuno MP-H4 4 iron/utility, replaces the MP25 4i currently), Aldila Tour Green 85 stiff (Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron/utility), Recoil 110 stiff (Ping i GW), and Recoil 95 stiff (Nike Engage SW and LW). I also bought a relatively cheap set of Cobra F6s with Recoil 110 regular flex that my wife sometimes usues.

I like the Steelfiber 110s a lot, as they give me reasonably comparable performance to my old S300s. The Steelfiber 95 stiff works well enough in the 4 iron/utility but it feels a bit light overall (mainly because I'm coming from S300s) and I wouldn't want to have them throughout the bag with my current game.

The Tour Green is even lighter and probably launches a bit higher than the Steelfiber 95, but then it is more of a hybrid shaft.

The Recoils are definitely "softer" and "smoother" overall compared to the Steelfibers, and seem to give me a higher trajectory. I don't really mind this for wedges, as I rarely swing full speed on them, but I wouldn't trust them over the long term for full swings on most irons. They'd probably be great for most any golfer looking for maximum smoothness who is not worried about hitting high balls.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

man I have a few sets of graphite on the go :

matrix hq3, nv105x, steelfiber 110/125 combo

But really want to try the new Fuji, new KBS and the Thump 105's have my attention

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo