Is Tiger back?

nicoy3k

Yes. I've been hesitant to say it for the whole year, but can say it confidently now.

I saw him at Firestone and he was just hitting with a ton of ease, able to put 8 irons inside a 5 foot square a dozen times in a row on the range, and managed to get driver on track but off track again.

On the back nine to day at Bellerive, he hit that stride except on 17 tee.

After reading the unauthorized biography, it really is a miracle he is at this level one year after his completed medical recovery. So long as he takes the proper procedures to keep that in check, which he is doing by all accounts, I would expect 2019 to be a very good year if he keeps an active schedule.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger said it best in his post tournament press conference. He said it's hard to compete with a guy who hit's it 340 yards off the tee and has a wedge in. https://www.golfchannel.com/video/tiger-64-i-had-go-get-it-and-i-tried/

That's the nature of the game now and it wasn't that way when he was at his best. So, is he back? You bet he is but the game has changed and he's no longer going to dominate.

When he was at his best that was HIS game. He may not have hit it 340 but he was much longer than everyone else. Now he feels what those guys felt like.

Is that fused back going to get better, or at least, stay as decent as it is now with repeated tournaments, practice sessions and training?

It all hinges on that...

Assuming the back holds up, I equate this year to Tiger's 2011 season, coming off a personal scandal, numerous injuries and trying to implement a new swing. He didn't do much all year until winning the Hero in December. And then contending more consistently, rising to #1 and winning multiple times in 2012-13. So, I could see him winning the Hero this year, or even one of the upcoming playoff tournaments and then winning a bunch throughout 2019 and 2020. Now whether one of them will be a major or not is the big question mark. I happen to think this iteration of Tiger's swing will hold up better on major weekends than Foley's did (already a lot of evidence for that). I was very encouraged by today's round, when he missed that putt on the 1st, I was worried it might be another choke-show on the green, but his putting was great the rest of the way (21 putts in 17 holes!), that par saving putt on 17 isn't getting enough love, that to me along with the putt on 18 were the two most vintage Tiger moments of the day. So yeah, if his back holds up and his putting isn't a s41t-show like the middle stretch of this season, I have no doubt he'll be winning a major or two.

Absolutely. He'll figure out something with the driver.

Not sure about that. He's back in a competitive way. But I'm afraid the driver will keep him from getting over the hump.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Three more putts in, less than a quarter-of-an-inch difference total, and he's got #15 today.

Apply that same logic to BK's round, and this tournament isn't even close. It's a fool's errand to play the "if only" game.

The difference could be argued is that Tiger hit three good putts that should have gone in- meaning literally luck is the reason they didn’t fall. While Koepka did miss 2-3 short ones... those were just bad putts that never had a chance.

We have a similar discussion currently running in the tournament thread.

I think he's back. But the " still in the midst of the comeback" line gets tossed out when he finishes close.

Excellent point. I've decided that after this weekend there are no more "in the midst of a comeback" lines to fall back on. That bet is off. He is good enough to win...right now.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Three more putts in, less than a quarter-of-an-inch difference total, and he's got #15 today.

Apply that same logic to BK's round, and this tournament isn't even close. It's a fool's errand to play the "if only" game.

The difference could be argued is that Tiger hit three good putts that should have gone in- meaning literally luck is the reason they didn't fall. While Koepka did miss 2-3 short ones... those were just bad putts that never had a chance.

Luck? Did they hit a bug or a nut or a spike mark or something veering it off course?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The difference could be argued is that Tiger hit three good putts that should have gone in- meaning literally luck is the reason they didn't fall. While Koepka did miss 2-3 short ones... those were just bad putts that never had a chance.

You completely miss the point.......

from the thousands of fans simply watching him walk on the overpass to the clubhouse after the final round yesterday, I would say he never left.

i wish i could get a picture where he's giving the thumbs up to ALL those people. definitely a cool picture.

couldn't believe how many people where there -- truly a sea of fans.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Need to define back. Was Jack back after the 86 Masters? I think Even Tiger fans readily admit that he isn't a 20 year old anymore with no family commitments etc. if anything he is probably more focused on family given is past screw ups. Back for Tiger in his 40s is contending on the first page of the leader board. To the extent that he has recently outplayed Jordan, a couple of Justins, Ricky, Rory, etc. I would say he is as good a bet as any of them on a course that suits his current game. Most players seem to have a style of play that suits some layouts better than others, no crime there. Brooks' emergence this year after a wrist injury was a surprise I think.

I agree with those why believe Tiger Woods is back in terms of being a golfer, competitive and plays into contention. Is he back to the days of 2000 - 2002? No. He's never going to be that dominant again for two reasons. First, he was leaner then, more sinewy back then and combined with his swing he was the perfect golfing machine (power, flexibility, precision). He also had the ultimate intimidation factor going on. Tour players, including the best of the best, were looking over their shoulder to see if Tiger was coming up behind them. Many, if not all of the tour, were just waiting to implode the first sign of a Tiger charge, much like Jack Nicklaus had done a generation before. Tiger also was a perfect mental machine. He wasn't going to beat himself by a foolish mistake. He also had nerves of steel.

Today, Tiger possesses a game that has a few cracks in it. His driving, whether it be a driver, 3 wood or an iron, isn't as accurate as he must have or what it was in his peak during 2000 - 2002. His putting isn't what it once was. Could that be an age thing? We (old guys) all have gone through this and maybe Tiger Woods is as well. Woods' swing has evolved yet again but I believe this time he is on the right path so he must hone the swing to be automatic and completely trustworthy of producing great shots on demand. He was close on the final 9 of the PGA but much work is needed. Being out of tournament play for several years has taken its toll on his mental side of competitive golf. However, Woods is quickly gaining that back.

So is Tiger Woods back? Not to the level of his prime but to be in contention for tour wins and a major or two, absolutely. Will Tiger Woods eclipse Jack Nicklaus and the 18 professional majors? That's hard to say but I would not say impossible. Woods needs 4 majors to tie and 5 to overtake Jack Nicklaus. Highly unlikely but not impossible. Therefore, yes, Tiger Woods is back.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

We have a similar discussion currently running in the tournament thread.

I think he's back. But the " still in the midst of the comeback" line gets tossed out when he finishes close.

I think this week was a pretty good physical test for him with the weather delay and ton of holes played on Saturday. Even 25 year old Justin Thomas with no health problem was wiped out by that situation Friday/Saturday. Tiger did very well in the circumstance.

Having said that, who knows if his body will hold up going forward. I think it will be a week to week question mark for the rest of his career, sort of like what we have seen with Fred Couples for a long time.

He missed a 7 footer on #1 for birdie...

The birdie putt on 11 that stopped on the lip...

Those 2 putts go in, he's in a playoff with Brooksey. However, I'm kinda glad that didn't happen the way TW was off the tee. Rather have him lose outright than tie BK and lose to him on the first playoff hole cause he can't hit a fairway.

Jesus...if putts on 1 and 11 go down and he hits the damn fairway on 17 or anywhere CLOSE, he lays up and gives him a shot at birdie to win.

It was damn exciting to watch though. Must stay healthy and he'll win. We can all agree on that.

heard a stat on XM today that was a good way to sum up Tiger's year to this point, and hope it is a sign of things to come. trending in the right direction at least.

he is now 20th in FedEx points. Of the top 20, only 1 person has less tournaments played, Brooks, and 1 tied with him, Rose. The rest of the top 20 have 2+ more events than him.

we can all nitpick his comeback to this point and find improvements, but he is having a pretty awesome year so far. if he can put a W on the board during the playoffs, who knows what happens.

Luck? Did they hit a bug or a nut or a spike mark or something veering it off course?

The putt at 1 did hit something and deviated left instead of right as it was supposed to