MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Of the courses I've played, I'd have to go with #2, John's Island West Course, and Myopia Hunt.

#2 - just for the test of golf that it is as well as the general scene down in Pinehurst

JI West - just the most fun I have had on a golf course. Risk/reward on every par, driveable 4s, variety, insane greens (fast and contoured), and every change in wind direction over the days creates a new course more so than anywhere else I have ever been.

Myopia Hunt - just one of the best walks in golf. Course is amazing as well, but just the most at peace I've been on a course and as close to the game I've experienced, if that makes sense.

Honorable Mentions - Desert Forest and Bethpage Black

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

First 2 are courses I’ve played and the last one is my white whale. I don’t think I could pick a third course out of those I’ve played to actually want to play exclusively, so I’ll make that one a moonshot for my list.

Torrey PinesPine NeedlesCypress PointIf/when I ever make it to Scotland/Ireland, hopefully some or all of those courses would consume this list.

My three picks in order

ANGC played and it was like nothing I have ever done before.

Pine Valley for a top course it is more like the feel of playing your home course except much much better.

Fischers Island is just beautiful and full of great views. I don't normally notice the views but this place was outstanding.

All of these courses are very different from one another, but not snoopy at all. Snoopy is saved for Hazeltine, that place is in a class all to it's own.

This is why golf is great. I could take TBC's list and make an argument for another course located within 15 minutes that I enjoyed much more. But seeing how he's a 1 and I'm not, I suspect "playability" isn't as important to him as to me.

#4 over #2. Not close for me. I would get sick of the punitive nature of #2's greens.

Quail Valley over JIW. I didn't think JI West was all that it was made out to be. Quail Valley was a revelation.

Essex over Myopia. It's close (and Essex is my favorite course in North America). I think Essex is more playable and has a better variety of holes. This debate is prime fodder in the tony NoSho Mass. cocktail party circuit. There really isn't a wrong answer.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

The Old Course

Erin Hills

Sea Island / Seaside Course

I know the reasons behind wanting to play The Old Course may stand on their own but for me it goes beyond the golf itself. Truth be told, TOC is not a difficult course at all. Its not long, the greens are big and in most places you can miss a mile on any side (the 1st/18th fairway is 150 yards wide). But it is just so damn fun to play. The crusty Scottish caddies, the scenery, being in town - just everything about the experience is an absolute A+.

Erin Hills to me was the surprise of my Wisconsin trip, by far my favorite course. Absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Tough but fair. It was a great place to stay too, we could go sit out by the fire pit with a drink, see all the stars and not hear any sort of noise at all.

But the Seaside Course has always been my favorite to play. Its not a super easy course and always plays with a breeze coming off the sea/marsh. But I just love the look and feel of the place. On most of the holes you're getting the smell of the ocean blowing in which is fantastic and they have a small but underrated halfway house. Love everything about the place.Random other golf stuff

Lasted 5 minutes or so in the NLU/WWOG with Furyk, all the shtick is everything I cant stand about their stuff. And I'm on the record as being a huge fan of the Tourist Sauce series but not this.

I realize the sympathy level is nonexistent right now but its been tough working on swing changes with no range being open. Been mostly doing indoor drills and hoping to get some semblance of a swing worked out by the 6th hole. Last 6 scores have been in the 78-82 range though - with a lot of big numbers on the cards - so there is definitely something lurking out there.

Caught up on a couple DVR things last night. Watched the two part Rory 'Playing Lessons' with Brandel again - was really about an hour of him talking course management and shot strategy as he plays a round. Really good stuff.

Was too wet out today to wear the new Trues but they look damn good, cant wait to take them for a spin although with more rain tonight, it may not be till Friday. The Adidas boots have already paid for themselves.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

If I had to bet what Kent's three courses would be...pretty good chance if I had 5 shots, I could have gotten all three...

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Serious answer, for courses I've played. . .

I think I would pick Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes and Old Mac.

For one, I could look at the Ocean every single day of my life and not get bored. We go to the beach every year, sometimes two weeks straight, and i'm never bored of it by the end. I want to see the Ocean.

For two, those courses are playable all year long.

For three, the play of the courses changes a lot with the weather there and are designed for all kinds of weather.

For four, I think those courses give you much different challenges from different tees.

For five, different pin locations give you much different challenges.

For six, NO CARTS.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This dang quarantine has been like NOS to my headcover obsession LOL. The other day I was re-configuring my bag in my head for 2309402945032nd time this month and I had a thought that maybe I should replace my 4 hybrid with a 7 wood, since I seem to have a lot more success with fairway woods, but then I thought, there's NO way I can do that because then how will I use all my awesome hybrid headcovers.

Someone help me!!!!

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

If I have to narrow it down from 3 continents to 3 courses that I have played, then I will follow @XHoop24 's logic that the courses need to be in a city / place that I like and want to spend time in so:

Torrey Pines. I was stationed in San Diego for 4 years and we played here a lot since we could get the resident rate. I'm with @TheCityGame that seeing the ocean is a huge plus. You can golf year round in San Diego / La Jolla and they are awesome places to live and hang out. Naval Academy course. I've played here so many times that I just know it well, like it and like the members / frequent players. Most folks walk and walk fast, under 4 hours, and you have water views plus Annapolis is a cool city. They are also finishing up a big renovation and will have new greens, grass, bunkers, etc, but are keeping most of the original William Flynn layout.Whisper Rock. I grew up in AZ and a buddy's dad was a member and this place is legit. It is like a big guys hangout all about golf and socializing and not at all stuffy. We showed up and there are no tee times so we go eat breakfast, then hit balls and then played when we were ready. You never felt rushed and the course was awesome. Ocean golf is awesome, but there is something cool about a good desert course without houses. You can also play year round in Scottsdale and it's a nice area with plenty to do. When we were done, my buddy's dad ordered everyone milkshakes because apparently Whisper Rock stole Jack Nicklaus' milkshake guy from Muirfield Village (who knew that was a thing).

How to drink alone.

The author in that article recommends saving space by creating an "infinity bottle". Basically, you take all your whiskey bottles that are almost empty and just dump them all in the same bottle. Reminds me of the jug of "All Sorts" in "Gangs of New York" where the bartender just dumps all the leftover drinks into a barrel, and you give him a nickel and you can put your mouth under the tap for a second.

I've been making "Covid Manhattans". Basically cruddy manhattans. Lowball glass. Rocks. Pour in bourbon till it looks good. Pour in sweet vermouth till it looks good. Dump in way too many bitters for your average joe. Poke an ice cube once to mix. When it gets low, add bourbon.

I was also making "torontos". . .basically a manhattan with fernet branca in it. until we ran out of fernet.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Even when I only have a splash left in a bottle, I still drink it. Chances are I bought it for a reason, I dont like wasting even an ounce or two.

Just started the 2016 Sunday coverage from the Ryder Cup. Am I the only one that sleeps on the Sergio/Phil match being the best one of the day? I know the Reed/Rory match gets a lot of the pub but 19 birdies between Phil and Sergio in that match.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

we've done some re-arranging and we're ready to get rid of some stuff when it makes sense that someone will take a mattress or armoire off our hands.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

much larger. it held a 32 inch tv at one point. An HDTV CRT so it was like 20 inches deep and huge.

It's almost just like a stand alone closet and my clothes have been hanging in it but we've reduced and rearranged.

It's so heavy and the first couple times we moved it, me and a beefy guy could move it around, but I used to be able to dead 315 and my elbows weren't held together with dental floss.

I've been on a bit of a minimalism jag for a while now. Not just corona. I really want to get rid of a lot of things.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

At the club today, there was this huge showdown between the youngs and the olds.

They got into a rap battle. The old was bragging about his course management.

"I'm irons off tees.

Aces on threes.

Stiff in the knees

But never in trees. "

ERwoHr0UcAAUKWY.jpgLeaderboards?

Always last.

Your names' unheard

except in Match play

might come in THIRD.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTW:

RTJ in VA - pristine course, excellent facilities and doesn't gobble up golf balls really.Papago GC - WIDE OPEN BOMBS AWAY. Desert vibe. Big rocks and city views. You are in Phoenix/Scottsdale after round. Maybe a Paige Rennee or Hailey O or Buttsy and definitely a CartBarnGuy sighting.Palm Beach Par 3 - 18 hole par 3 course. Play in flip flops vibe. Incredible views. Holes on the ocean. Lots of fun. Great conditions. You get to hang out in South Florida after.

• Like 1

NO SPOILERS! There's actually a touching storyline that involves coach.

I finished the game yesterday. Back to beating my head against the wall with cupHead. Golf Story was a good length game. I don't know if it was worth 15, but it was worth $7.50. I don't know how to evaluate if games are worth it. I got cupHead for 20 bucks and it's certainly time consuming enough to justify it, but part of the aspect of time-consuming is that it's very difficult. If each level just had like 2 fewer bosses, it would be a less frustrating experience.

If "kids today" are so good at gaming that they just crush these levels, then good on them. But for me, it takes a while on every level to get the patterns.

One cool thing about Golf Story is that there's a budding course designer who makes a cross country course at every (I think) course. So you just bash it all around the courses at different angles and whatnot.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I don't know how to evaluate if games are worth it. 

Its harder these days to be sure. I remember when games like Call of Duty first came out, you would preorder it - or even wait in line to pick it up - you'd rush to finish the campaign and then that was it. If you plowed throw it over a weekend, you had paid your $30 or whatever it was and you were done. With all the online/live modes that theyve built into it now I think there is so much more value with games like that - especially since they are constantly making updates to it. So for $60, you're getting a game that could last a year or more.

The games that always baffled me were the ones that you see commercials for on TV, the horribly cheesy ones that are "free to download" but then want to sell you all sorts of in game upgrades. I thought that was a terrible idea until I think I saw a Super Bowl commercial for one and found out those games make millions - a day - in revenue.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Maybe 10-15 years ago, I started playing some golf game online. It was free, and good, and you could play people from all over the world and upgrade your equipment and clothes. But if you wanted the "cool stuff", you had to buy it. Buy balls, clubs, clothes, etc.

That doesn't seem weird now, but back then, (some) people were still calling it "The Korean Model". And I never spent a cent on the game and I thought people were crazy. But, obviously, that's a big thing these days.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green