Mizuno JPX919 Tour, Hot Metal and Forged irons

GolfWRX

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted this in one of the other threads on the 919s and still not in the best of humour.

Well my new 919 Tours lasted 2 days in my possession.

Just got issued a return label and they are going back today.

Mizuno sent me the wrong swing weight. With my excitement at the range on Monday I didn't really notice but as soon as I played very early this morning I knew, I walked in after 5 holes and called the company I bought them from.

Turns out the swing weight was D2 and not the requested D4. Also the lofts on the 4 iron was not 2 degrees strong and 5 iron 1 degree strong. I wanted 4* increments to fill the gaps from 18*- 4 iron and 9 iron - 46*.

So much for me getting the first set in the UK.

I have to play now with my old worn out SB1s this weekend and have 5 straight days golf planned from next Thursday so better have the clubs by then.

NOT HAPPY MIZUNO.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

posted this in one of the other threads on the 919s and still not in the best of humour.

Mizuno sent me the wrong swing weight. With my excitement at the range on Monday I didn't really notice but as soon as I played very early this morning I knew, I walked in after 5 holes and called the company I bought them from.

Turns out the swing weight was D2 and not the requested D4. Also the lofts on the 4 iron was not 2 degrees strong and 5 iron 1 degree strong. I wanted 4* increments to fill the gaps from 18*- 4 iron and 9 iron - 46*.

I have to play now with my old worn out SB1s this weekend and have 5 straight days golf planned from next Thursday so better have the clubs by then.

NOT HAPPY MIZUNO.

That sucks. I don’t know if they will turn those around that fast.

NOT HAPPY MIZUNO.

They actually did the opposite to me here state side with my MP-18 MMC order. I put them in for D2 and +1/4", they delivered into me at D3+ in the 6-PW and D4 in the 4 and 5 irons and +1/2" to as much as + 3/4" in the long irons (which explains the higher SW). I went to cut down and re-grip the 4 and 5 iron last night and the factory butt trim on the shafts was so rough and uneven it was ridiculous. It looked like someone took a dull hacksaw and went at the shaft at a 30* angle. I trimmed 1/4" off, re-gripped and got the SW back down to D2 and am much happier with the feel and results after a range session today at lunch. Some of the C Taper shaft labels are also applied diagonally enough that part of them becomes visible at address. It was not the cleanest build I'd ever seen and if I wasn't as happy as I am with the results I might have sent them back as well.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Youse guys are not giving me a headful of confidence - about to order 919F at D3 in 5-9i with LZ Graphite Tour 90 5.0 Hardstepped Once. DD said they hadn't had complaints about the build but most of them aren't on golf forums. I could order from a custom builder and spend $350 more or have Mizuno do it... decisions.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Had a lucky experience yesterday. Like others, I have been waiting for the local shop to get the new 919 forged and tour heads in to demo. I happened to be at my local PGA tour superstore yesterday, and the Mizuno rep was there. Struck up a conversation, and he indicated he had the new heads out in the van and would be happy to let me try them out. I was the first one to hit them! Spent an hour with him hitting the new 919 tour with multiple shaft options in different lengths. I currently have 900 JPX forged irons, and decided to order the new 919 tour in 6 - PW, while keeping my existing JPX 900 4 and 5 iron. My order (arriving early next week) is JPX 919 Tour, 6-PW, standard lie/loft, C-Taper Lite S, +.5 inches, MCC plus 4 midsize. I will likely weaken the loft on my 5 iron to reduce the gap to my new 6 iron (24 to 30 degrees, or a 6 degree gap currently).

The new tours are amazing as you would guess. I was very fortunate to walk into that store when I did, as I will get my custom set even earlier than I was planning.

Had a lucky experience yesterday. Like others, I have been waiting for the local shop to get the new 919 forged and tour heads in to demo. I happened to be at my local PGA tour superstore yesterday, and the Mizuno rep was there. Struck up a conversation, and he indicated he had the new heads out in the van and would be happy to let me try them out. I was the first one to hit them! Spent an hour with him hitting the new 919 tour with multiple shaft options in different lengths. I currently have 900 JPX forged irons, and decided to order the new 919 tour in 6 - PW, while keeping my existing JPX 900 4 and 5 iron. My order (arriving early next week) is JPX 919 Tour, 6-PW, standard lie/loft, C-Taper Lite S, +.5 inches, MCC plus 4 midsize. I will likely weaken the loft on my 5 iron to reduce the gap to my new 6 iron (24 to 30 degrees, or a 6 degree gap currently).

The new tours are amazing as you would guess. I was very fortunate to walk into that store when I did, as I will get my custom set even earlier than I was planning.

Did you hit the Forged? Any feedback?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Honestly I'm amazed you can tell when a club is off by 1 or 2 swingweights.. or that the loft was off by a degree.. but then this is golfWRX

Honestly, there was something really weird and it didn't feel right at all. My Driver is D3.5, D5 3 Wood, D4 2 iron. so I guess I am just so used to that weight.

My older friend said he thought that they were light also when he had a swing with them on Monday when I got them.

With the initial excitement at the range I didn't notice at all and probably hit 60 balls with them.

Lofts I only knew because I went through the order sheet and the adjust lofts were not on there. Haven't hit the five iron and hit the 4 iron 2 times but not at a green.

They actually did the opposite to me here state side with my MP-18 MMC order. I put them in for D2 and +1/4", they delivered into me at D3+ in the 6-PW and D4 in the 4 and 5 irons and +1/2" to as much as + 3/4" in the long irons (which explains the higher SW). I went to cut down and re-grip the 4 and 5 iron last night and the factory butt trim on the shafts was so rough and uneven it was ridiculous. It looked like someone took a dull hacksaw and went at the shaft at a 30* angle. I trimmed 1/4" off, re-gripped and got the SW back down to D2 and am much happier with the feel and results after a range session today at lunch. Some of the C Taper shaft labels are also applied diagonally enough that part of them becomes visible at address. It was not the cleanest build I'd ever seen and if I wasn't as happy as I am with the results I might have sent them back as well.

My previous set Mp25 and Mp5s combo came out right weight and lofts so just unlucky here, I really hope this can get sorted very fast. Having to go back to my Scratch irons which are 2* less loft each is going to be an eye opener distance wise. 44* 9 iron and 46* PW.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Did you hit the Forged? Any feedback?

I did not hit the Forged, only the Tours. I am using the 919 release as a catalyst to replace my JPX 900 Forged with 919 Tours, so I was only interested in testing the Tour head (which was everlyting I was hoping for!).

Well I also was fitted today. Finally got out on the shaft optimizer which I think is insane but it definitely pointed to some sticks I haven’t swung before or would even think of playing.

First off, I am historically a low spin player. My shots can and have fallen right out of the damn air. I came into this fitting fresh off the 790s with s400s you see in sig. I got along with them just fine and actually liked them.

So the results of the fitting put me on C-taper lites S flex. There were two other shafts including a modus X and Project X 5.5 but everything about the Ctaper lite enthused me. Spin, launch, descent, stopping power and everything.

Know that stock is semi limited and mizuno wants sales, I snagged a 4-9 set in tours immediately with z grip cord grips. I’m excited for these to get here.

I was fitted on forged but bought tours throughout.

Honestly I'm amazed you can tell when a club is off by 1 or 2 swingweights.. or that the loft was off by a degree.. but then this is golfWRX

It’s pretty easy to tell when your clubs are 1/2” longer than you’re used to and feel like a sledgehammer.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Youse guys are not giving me a headful of confidence - about to order 919F at D3 in 5-9i with LZ Graphite Tour 90 5.0 Hardstepped Once. DD said they hadn't had complaints about the build but most of them aren't on golf forums. I could order from a custom builder and spend $350 more or have Mizuno do it... decisions.

Years ago when I was really into the technical aspects of clubs, I had a set of irons that I took to three different "highly regarded" clubmakers here in the Bay Area to check shaft frequencies, swingweights, lofts and lies. All three shops were very close on lofts and lies, but they were all over the place on shaft flex and swingweights. Swingweight measurements aren't exactly like putting a car on a dyno or stepping on a digital scale at your doctor. Since that exercise, I haven't spent a single second thinking about swingweights....I'm not that good, and the measurements aren't necessarily reliable.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Years ago when I was really into the technical aspects of clubs, I had a set of irons that I took to three different "highly regarded" clubmakers here in the Bay Area to check shaft frequencies, swingweights, lofts and lies. All three shops were very close on lofts and lies, but they were all over the place on shaft flex and swingweights. Swingweight measurements aren't exactly like putting a car on a dyno or stepping on a digital scale at your doctor. Since that exercise, I haven't spent a single second thinking about swingweights....I'm not that good, and the measurements aren't necessarily reliable.

Ummmm. Ok.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

It's between i500 and the 919 Forged for me...

Need to hear more about Forged forgiveness and demo the Forged.

I've hit the 900 Forged off grass several times - it's fairly long and the feel is not butter, it is firm/solid, probably due to the miniscule amount of boron. The 919 may be completely different - milled from the sole, less weight in heel, more weight low and out on toe to move COG to center, thinner face -- it all sounds good. But the topline ... looks thickish for this type of club.

To this point - I finally got a chance to hit the 919 forged and took a comparison picture between the 900 and 919. While the 919 top line does appear thicker, it is also much more "squared off" which I like - enough to probably put an order in within the next week. The 919 is the closer of the two in the picture.

It's between i500 and the 919 Forged for me...

Need to hear more about Forged forgiveness and demo the Forged.

I've hit the 900 Forged off grass several times - it's fairly long and the feel is not butter, it is firm/solid, probably due to the miniscule amount of boron. The 919 may be completely different - milled from the sole, less weight in heel, more weight low and out on toe to move COG to center, thinner face -- it all sounds good. But the topline ... looks thickish for this type of club.

To this point - I finally got a chance to hit the 919 forged and took a comparison picture between the 900 and 919. While the 919 top line does appear thicker, it is also much more "squared off" which I like - enough to probably put an order in within the next week. The 919 is the closer of the two in the picture.

Thx -- I hit the 919 at lunch today. I like the look of the 919 - the topline in person was fine. Pics just don't do them justice. Just like pics of me. I had hit the 900 on Saturday. My impression is that I like the looks of the 919 slightly over the 900. Also, the 919 seemed more forgiving and the sim said I was carrying 165 - which is i500 territory for me. Maybe it was the PX LZ Tour Graphite Shaft.

The feel of the 919 versus the 900 was different - 919 felt more like a Mizuno advertisement; the 900 is solid yet firm.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Ummmm. Ok.

Sorry, I was probably a bit snarky above, but I've been here for quite a while (check member number) and I've seen a gazillion posts about one degree lie angle differences turning irons into "hook machines" and the same for s/w differences that would be nearly impossible to detect by most people (recognizing that there are in fact some small number with that sensitivity). I put those comments in the same category as guys on car forums who can supposedly notice when a tire is 1-2 psi off spec by how the car handles. Again I apologize for snark!

Hoping SwingMan gets a set and posts some feedback!

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I was able to demo the 919 Tour and 919 Forged today. Initially I warmed up with CTaper Lite X on the Tour head. Got the same results I was having with my MP25 w/CTL, I was hitting low spin pulls carry around 178-82 spin approx. 6000 rpms.

Then, took three swings on the shaft optimizer with the 919 Tour. 100mph clubhead speed. Top 3 recommendations were PX LZ 6.5, CTaper 130X and DG 120 X100. I was all over place with LZ 6.5. I’m not a CT fan. But the DG120 X100 was money. 174-78 carry with over 7000 rpms. Dispersion was much better than the CT, CTL and LZ.

Lastly, I hit the 919 Forged with the DG120. Holy distance Batman! I was getting nearly 190 carry, spinning around 6600. Ball flight was noticeably lower. But the distance surprised me as the Forged is only 2* stronger. Dispersion was around the same as the Tour with a little more draw/bias.

Conclusion: I’m torn between ordering the 919 Tour w/Modern Lofts or the Srixon 785s (which I’ve yet to find a demo head available). But who knows, I probably should get the 919 Forged....

Ummmm. Ok.

Sorry, I was probably a bit snarky above, but I've been here for quite a while (check member number) and I've seen a gazillion posts about one degree lie angle differences turning irons into "hook machines" and the same for s/w differences that would be nearly impossible to detect by most people (recognizing that there are in fact some small number with that sensitivity). I put those comments in the same category as guys on car forums who can supposedly notice when a tire is 1-2 psi off spec by how the car handles. Again I apologize for snark!

Hoping SwingMan gets a set and posts some feedback!

Ordered a set in 5-PW, PX LZ Tour Graphite 6.0 softstepped once. Going upright on lie angle but it can be adjusted, and lead tape has a use. Arrival is estimated in 10-12 days.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Getting ready to hit the Forged and Tour at lunch today. I am pretty sure I have my setup picked out though - Forged 6-G and HM 4-5 with 5 weakened one degree, KBS Tour X, 1.5 Flat, plus 1/2". Thought about maybe getting the DG 120 X but can't make up my mind. I want to launch it as high as I can. I want the ability to go over trees when needed :stink:

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Anyone in Canada seen these yet? The website says not available in this region....

Golftown has them online and in store.

https://www.golftown.com/Search.aspx?k=Mizuno&c=77&m=9&p=0

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Honestly, there was something really weird and it didn't feel right at all. My Driver is D3.5, D5 3 Wood, D4 2 iron. so I guess I am just so used to that weight.

My older friend said he thought that they were light also when he had a swing with them on Monday when I got them.

With the initial excitement at the range I didn't notice at all and probably hit 60 balls with them.

Lofts I only knew because I went through the order sheet and the adjust lofts were not on there. Haven't hit the five iron and hit the 4 iron 2 times but not at a green.

My previous set Mp25 and Mp5s combo came out right weight and lofts so just unlucky here, I really hope this can get sorted very fast. Having to go back to my Scratch irons which are 2* less loft each is going to be an eye opener distance wise. 44* 9 iron and 46* PW.

I'm gonna be honest, I've custom ordered a full set of JPX 900 Tours from Mizuno, and a MMC Fli-hi 2 iron (which I ordered through DD and thankfully they checked everything for me, promptly returned it), both orders came completely wrong. Had to be sent back.

JPX 900's took two weeks to get everything right, and the Fli-hi took about a month. Extremely frustrating when you order at release and get to add more time to your order because they didn't get the specs right. Seems like they just took the shafts, slapped 'em in, didn't look at the spec sheet at all. Embarrassing part is they're built in my hometown in Georgia. Just feel like if the ONLY two orders I've put in came back wrong, a lot of people probably have gear that isn't the right L/L/L. Even the grip sizes were wrong...

They make fantastic gear, but the quality control at the plant where everything is put together just doesn't seem like it's there.

Our fitting heads arrived for the Tour and Forged. The Tour feels amazing. Going back and forth between the DG120 and a Modus 120. Thinking these will beat out the i210 for my next irons.

They finally got with the program and switched to the 7 iron heads, at least that's what I was told would be arriving. Is that what you have? It never made any sense to me why a company would use 6 iron heads on a fitting cart.

Well I was able to hit all three heads yesterday. Now I have a conundrum. I thought I was going split Forged and HM, but now I am leaning toward split Tour and Forged. It looks like I am going to go Forged 4 and then 5-P Tour then order a Vokey 50 as a Gap.

Loved how high I can hit all three heads. The Tour wasn't much shorter than the Forged for me, very similar distances despite being two degrees weaker. The HM is another story, real high and real long.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I'm gonna be honest, I've custom ordered a full set of JPX 900 Tours from Mizuno, and a MMC Fli-hi 2 iron (which I ordered through DD and thankfully they checked everything for me, promptly returned it), both orders came completely wrong. Had to be sent back.

JPX 900's took two weeks to get everything right, and the Fli-hi took about a month. Extremely frustrating when you order at release and get to add more time to your order because they didn't get the specs right. Seems like they just took the shafts, slapped 'em in, didn't look at the spec sheet at all. Embarrassing part is they're built in my hometown in Georgia. Just feel like if the ONLY two orders I've put in came back wrong, a lot of people probably have gear that isn't the right L/L/L. Even the grip sizes were wrong...

They make fantastic gear, but the quality control at the plant where everything is put together just doesn't seem like it's there.

They have been good and promised me new clubs to the asked for spec by Wednesday so a week after discovering the wrong spec.

let's hope these are right.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400