Mizuno JPX919 Tour, Hot Metal and Forged irons

GolfWRX

I took my tours to the range for the first time yesterday. the offset on the 7-9 irons (I dont' have the PW) are WAY more than the demo I used or the set that was on the rack in the store. I'm going to go back and compare them this weekend. I feel like the 9 iron has more offset than any of the other irons actually (5-9). I'm hoping I can get used to the look but its really annoying so far. (I did get them 1 degree strong but that shouldn't have made them this pronounced, right? Literally it looks like there is a 1/2 inch of offset on the 9 to me. There is very little noticeable offset on the 5 and 6 irons and I even got the 5 iron 2 degrees strong. Should I bend them back a degree to lessen the offset? A part of me wants to sell them already.

that being said these iron heads are super forgiving IMO, especially toe shots. I've been a blade/players cavity guy my whole life and these seem like GI irons almost. So far the trajectory is a little higher than i'm used to but that might be the modus shafts vs my old DGs more than the head. I'm playing friday for the first time in a 7 weeks, we'll see how it goes.

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TM BRNR 13.5* hzrdus gen4 black 6.5 70g 43.75"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my tours to the range for the first time yesterday. the offset on the 7-9 irons (I dont' have the PW) are WAY more than the demo I used or the set that was on the rack in the store. I'm going to go back and compare them this weekend. I feel like the 9 iron has more offset than any of the other irons actually (5-9). I'm hoping I can get used to the look but its really annoying so far. (I did get them 1 degree strong but that shouldn't have made them this pronounced, right? Literally it looks like there is a 1/2 inch of offset on the 9 to me. There is very little noticeable offset on the 5 and 6 irons and I even got the 5 iron 2 degrees strong. Should I bend them back a degree to lessen the offset? A part of me wants to sell them already.

that being said these iron heads are super forgiving IMO, especially toe shots. I've been a blade/players cavity guy my whole life and these seem like GI irons almost. So far the trajectory is a little higher than i'm used to but that might be the modus shafts vs my old DGs more than the head. I'm playing friday for the first time in a 7 weeks, we'll see how it goes.

Following your situation:

For what it's worth, I have never heard of a set of irons having a different amount of offset in the same line. I am very curious to see what you find when you go back to the store and compare. It would be very troubling if in fact, the set you bought and had custom ordered, contained more offset than what is supposed to be in it.

For what it's worth, I have never heard of a set of irons having a different amount of offset in the same line. I am very curious to see what you find when you go back to the store and compare. It would be very troubling if in fact, the set you bought and had custom ordered, contained more offset than what is supposed to be in it.

Offset typically decreases as one goes higher in loft in a model of iron.

I doubt if Mizuno changed the design of the club for this one golfer. It could possibly appear as if a club has more offset even though it does not. That appearance change sometimes occurs more when you transition from 7i to 8i, and then to higher lofted wedges due to design and function (I assume). But offset does not increase.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I doubt if Mizuno changed the design of the club for this one golfer. It could possibly appear as if a club has more offset even though it does not. That appearance change sometimes occurs more when you transition from 7i to 8i, and then to higher lofted wedges due to design and function (I assume). But offset does not increase.

I know exactly what you’re saying with the offset issues. I had the same issue last year with my old JPX 900 Forged irons. The offset in my mid and long irons was all over the place, they informed me that it was a manufacturing error and there were multiple sets affected. They replaced them free of charge.

Sorry to say it guys but Mizuno is not perfect, every company makes mistakes as hard as it is to believe.

I can say, when I first picked up the 919T in store on the Mizuno "cart" and installed a shaft, I did not care for the look. Once full sets showed up on shelf, the look was different. The "demo" head at my BB store is different than the retail head. The Hozel is much shorter with the fitting cart head and top line is thicker. Has to be made that way to achieve proper weighting since hozel is diferent to accept adapters?

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

I know exactly what you're saying with the offset issues. I had the same issue last year with my old JPX 900 Forged irons. The offset in my mid and long irons was all over the place, they informed me that it was a manufacturing error and there were multiple sets affected. They replaced them free of charge.

Sorry to say it guys but Mizuno is not perfect, every company makes mistakes as hard as it is to believe.

Have to respectfully disagree here. If you are going to take 2 years to release an update and then charge $1,200 for a set, it should be spot on.

Combined with the issues I'm hearing about going longer and not advertising that fact very well, Mizuno is trying to move too fast in my opinion. As I mentioned in another post, I always selected Miz irons because they were the traditional company I could trust. Now I'm worried about defective badging, inconsistent offset, short or long fitting hosels, 6i or 7i fitting shafts, can't get a straight story on any of this from my local fitters, etc...

They are a bit of mess right now in my opinion, at the consumer side that is. If I had to buy a new set of irons this season, I'd take a pass on Mizuno for the first time in 15 years...

I know exactly what you're saying with the offset issues. I had the same issue last year with my old JPX 900 Forged irons. The offset in my mid and long irons was all over the place, they informed me that it was a manufacturing error and there were multiple sets affected. They replaced them free of charge.

Have to respectfully disagree here. If you are going to take 2 years to release an update and then charge $1,200 for a set, it should be spot on.

Combined with the issues I'm hearing about going longer and not advertising that fact very well, Mizuno is trying to move too fast in my opinion. As I mentioned in another post, I always selected Miz irons because they were the traditional company I could trust. Now I'm worried about defective badging, inconsistent offset, short or long fitting hosels, 6i or 7i fitting shafts, can't get a straight story on any of this from my local fitters, etc...

They are a bit of mess right now in my opinion, at the consumer side that is. If I had to buy a new set of irons this season, I'd take a pass on Mizuno for the first time in 15 years...

I must say that I misspoke with my post above..

I meant to say that I had not previously heard of the same line of clubs having different offset from set to set.. Meaning, as a hypothetical, a Mizuno MP18 MB 9 iron on the rack at GG, having a different offset to a Mizuno MP18 MB 9 iron on the rack at Dicks.

Obviously, this seems to be the case here and I hope you are able to work out the issue however you deem fit.

I don't really worry about a company going 1/4 inch longer - typically, or as my clubmaker tells me, lengths are calculated before grip - so I assume Mizuno is going 38 inches on a 5 iron before the grip - just measured my 919F 5i - it is 38 inches to that line 1/4 inch right below the grip top - typically the grip top adds 1/4 inch which is not measured as part of the shaft. So 38 inches.

I've had my clubs about 3 weeks - have no issues with the badging other than it's a good place for mud and you need a wet towel or club washer nearby when the ground is soggy and you take a mean divot.

Look, even Ping has issues. In fact, Callaway, TM, everyone has issues, either with faces caving in, weld lines, etc. All of these the sky is falling remarks are overblown. I mean, if there is an issue with offset or anything odd, I haven't heard of an OEM not correcting it and have no issues taking a club back. Because if they don't - social media is hell to pay. The offset thing, though, that's weird.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I just tried to measure them (left edge of hosel to leading edge) as best I could:

9 iron: .22 inches

8 iron: .15

7 iron: .13

I can say, when I first picked up the 919T in store on the Mizuno "cart" and installed a shaft, I did not care for the look. Once full sets showed up on shelf, the look was different. The "demo" head at my BB store is different than the retail head. The Hozel is much shorter with the fitting cart head and top line is thicker. Has to be made that way to achieve proper weighting since hozel is diferent to accept adapters?

What you say here is exactly right. I was at a Mizuno demo yesterday and the rep showed us that the hosel is shorter on the demo head compared to what the regular hosel is. He said they did this because they changed the standard lengths by .25 inches on the 919 and changed the fittings from 6 iron to 7 iron. He said if they didn't do that then every fitting cart would have to get new shafts and it saved Mizuno a ton of money not replacing all those shafts worldwide.

After looking closely at them last night the 6, 8, and 9 seem to have more offset than the 5 and 7. Im just going to assume that this was an issue with bending the irons. somehow they mangled those irons.

not sure how to embed a tweet here, my apologies. There are photos in the link below. You can see how different the 5 iron looks which theoretically should have the most offset right?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">9, 8, 5 (bent +2) <a href="https://t.co/GRdNyoJFVy">pic.twitter.com/GRdNyoJFVy</a></p>— B_of_H (@B_of_H) <a href="

18, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/...734761498755072

The Full Set looks good to my eye. The offset was as expected to be, but the PW does have a thicker topline than the rest. Mizuno rep did say that the "numbers" on line for the Specs are correct, but they do measure length with no grip installed so most will measure at least 1/4" long "playing length".

If Mizuno does not have the grip you use, they will NOT ship clubs with Grips loose in the box. They claim they have a "legal" agreement with Golf Pride.

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

I was very happy to see that Brooks Koepka did not fall victim to the idea that newer is better, especially given that he played so well last season. And I still think the predecessor to the 919, the 900, looks better. I'm sure Mizuno would have loved to have seen Brooks upgrade but why in the world would he? Newer does not mean upgraded. I think Spieth found that out the hard way. In the long run nothing will stop a player like Spieth from winning, but it makes me wonder how many pros sacrificed their careers by honoring contracts to play the latest clubs from their sponsors.

I was very happy to see that Brooks Koepka did not fall victim to the idea that newer is better, especially given that he played so well last season. And I still think the predecessor to the 919, the 900, looks better. I'm sure Mizuno would have loved to have seen Brooks upgrade but why in the world would he? Newer does not mean upgraded. I think Spieth found that out the hard way. In the long run nothing will stop a player like Spieth from winning, but it makes me wonder how many pros sacrificed their careers by honoring contracts to play the latest clubs from their sponsors.

Koepka hopefully doesn’t change his bag. So dialed in

The reality of it is no PGA Tour player is going to change into gear they aren't 100% comfortable using. I'm sure at some point JPX 900 Tour users will have to convert to 919 Tour or whatever they see if because production of the 900 line has ended and availability will sooner or later be an issue.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

After looking closely at them last night the 6, 8, and 9 seem to have more offset than the 5 and 7. Im just going to assume that this was an issue with bending the irons. somehow they mangled those irons.

not sure how to embed a tweet here, my apologies. There are photos in the link below. You can see how different the 5 iron looks which theoretically should have the most offset right?

My irons were WAY off. The 9 iron was over 3 degrees strong, the 7 and 8 were a little over 2 degrees strong and the 6 was almost 3 degrees strong. Hence why they looked so off to me. I left them at the shop and they are going to try to return them to mizuno (they also put the grips on considerably closed). I am trying to decide whether to order another set of 919t's or go MP 18 combo set. I think i'll give mizuno another shot probably as this seems like a rare occurrence.

The reality of it is no PGA Tour player is going to change into gear they aren't 100% comfortable using. I'm sure at some point JPX 900 Tour users will have to convert to 919 Tour or whatever they see if because production of the 900 line has ended and availability will sooner or later be an issue.

Uhhhhhhh........I don’t think any PGA Pro has fallen off because of their choice of equipment and I’m sure Koepka will upgrade to the 919’s very soon, may just be waiting due to reasons unknown... and I’m pretty sure if Jordan didn’t want to upgrade, he wouldn’t have, you saying that he made a mistake upgrading is absolutely hilarious. These are PGA professionals, not a 20 handicap WRX’er. They know what they’re doing.

Always check lofts and lies when receiving new clubs. They are almost always off from what is requested no matter the manufacture.

i've had irons 1 degree off on one or two clubs in a set. i've never had every iron 1-3.5 degrees from ordered specs on every iron except one. its unusual. plus, the grips being put on crooked and I think its a botched job overall and unacceptable. I don't want irons that have been shoved around to those extremes at $150 a club before I even put them in play.

My irons were WAY off. The 9 iron was over 3 degrees strong, the 7 and 8 were a little over 2 degrees strong and the 6 was almost 3 degrees strong. Hence why they looked so off to me. I left them at the shop and they are going to try to return them to mizuno (they also put the grips on considerably closed). I am trying to decide whether to order another set of 919t's or go MP 18 combo set. I think i'll give mizuno another shot probably as this seems like a rare occurrence.

LOL...... nick faldo said it best when he said the new 919's were long because of the jacked lofts and not the technology. I guess everybody should be double checking specs of their new mizuno's.

Uhhhhhhh........I don’t think any PGA Pro has fallen off because of their choice of equipment and I’m sure Koepka will upgrade to the 919’s very soon, may just be waiting due to reasons unknown... and I’m pretty sure if Jordan didn’t want to upgrade, he wouldn’t have, you saying that he made a mistake upgrading is absolutely hilarious. These are PGA professionals, not a 20 handicap WRX’er. They know what they’re doing.

I respectfully disagree that no professional has fallen off because of a change of equipment.

Certainly, some have rebounded better than others after making a major change, but it hasn't benefitted all professional golfers, and in some cases it was close to being detrimental.

https://nolayingup.com/2016/12/02/2016-equipment-changes-worked-didnt/

I have fallen in love with the Hot Metal 4 iron off the tee. I have tried over the years to find a hybrid or driving iron I liked, and never have really found something I wanted to pull out frequently. Our course is short and tight so I really should hit 4 iron off many par 4s to be honest. With this HM 4 iron, I am now looking forward to hitting it and have really loved the flight. It is ridonkulously forgiving and it is hot. Love it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the forged tonight... They geeky very nice but they seemed super hot. I was hitting the 7i just as far off not a bit more than my 790s. Thinner top line and less offset, about as forgiving, too. Hit the SCs also and I didn't seem to like them as much.

That's interesting. I've hit the 919F on several occasions and found them to be very consistent (maybe a bit more than my SCs due to toe strikes not losing as much distance). Keep in mind the 7i is a bit stronger than the MP-18 and MP-18 SC (32° vs. 34°).

I may pick up a full set early next year to play alongside my SCs. If they make the game more fun and I hit more greens, the SCs may be sold, but we'll see. I had my best year of golf this year with the SCs and I think it was because of a flatter lie angle, less offset than my old i5s, and incredibly consistent front to back dispersion.

The only small thing I notice is that the 919F 4-7 irons have a slot which may give those irons a slightly "sharper" sound than the SCs. Still soft, but just a bit sharper, more powerful.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT