2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Irons: Player iron vs Juiced iron (i500, 790, Apex CF, PXG, TMB)

easyyy

Hit the driver farther, and the iron distance dilemma will go away.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Easy for high swing speed players but for many of us we appreciate the longer iron distance/height.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

My G400 irons are hot-faced compared to the ones I used to play (older G series 10, 15). I love the height and extra distance, but I am still struggling with chipping, bump and runs around the green. The ball jumps off the face more than I was used to. Haven't thought abut going back to the G10s.....................yet.

Sorry to pick on you but this is totally wrong. The ball doesn't "jump off the face" when using spring face irons for chips/bumps/runs around the green. Reason being there is NO spring effect on a shot with a very slow club head speed coming into the ball. To get the face to deflect there needs to be considerable speed.

The amount of extra energy imparted to the ball from a spring face club is only something like 5% compared to a thick faced club. This can increase distance noticeably with a driver, but the effect is reduced with shorter clubs that are coming into the ball slower. A lot of the extra distance people experience with the type of irons being discussed here is because the lofts are stronger and sometimes, the spin is lower. As far as distance control is concerned, you gotta be a pretty darn good ball striker before these irons turn into a determent. Personally, I've been playing spring face irons for the last couple of years and distance control is the least of my troubles (high single digit handicapper).

... Yup, right there with you. I picked up the P790's last fall because I loved the look at address, although the top line is a little thicker than I would like but I no longer even notice, however the shape is just about perfect to my eye. The biggest reason was forgiveness as my miss is a little low on the face and the P790's excel with those strikes. At 65 thankfully I did not need additional yardage but it was a pleasant addition to my game, especially in the long irons.

... The two comments that always surprise me are 1) thin faces producing inconsistent yardage and 2) the sole does not work well through the turf. If you have the same swing speed on any given shot the P790's will reward you with the exact same distance. I imagine an inconsistent swing that is 5 mph faster than normal will produce a little more distance off a thin faces iron than a solid players iron struck the same. That is the only thing I can think of as my P790's produce the most consistent yardage of any irons I have ever played. And that has to be near 100 sets. Playing to a + index distance control is paramount to my iron game an inconstant yardage would certainly be a deal breaker. And while my Honma 737's cut thru the turf carving out a nice divot effortlessly, my P790's carve out the same divot but it seems like a little more work for them. So the difference is not performance, just feel. Of course the divots are carved easily because of the sharpness of the leading edge not the width of the sole, which is pretty similar. I would never consider P790's to have a wide sole like many GI and certainly most SGI irons. There is a rain PXG and P790's are so successful but added distance is at the bottom of that list.

Good to hear. Sounds like my issues are not yours at all. See... different swings create different results.

I think the 790's are borderline as well. The soles on those are not that thick and they have some decent camber. Spin got me on those. I didn't have the consistency as I did with the 770 or 750 in the 6-pw. Needed to sort out the bottom of the bag as well and add a wedge. The PW in the 790's is a small cannon.

... True dat. One of the things I have grown to love about the P790's is the reduced spin in Chicago's winds. I took my Honma 737's out on a pretty windy day and had a typical 150yd shot dead into a 20mph wind, I hit a 6 iron knockdown that should have, at a minimum gotten me to the front of the green, but the added spin caused the ball to come up almost 10 yds short and barely escaped the water. I have close to 200 rounds in with my P790's and am very comfortable with their higher trajectory and lower spin. It was a transition no doubt, but now I just can't see playing anything else and I usually change irons at least once every year. But of course there is a reason they make so many different types of irons, even within a specific category and there is no one size fits all as you well know.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Easy for high swing speed players but for many of us we appreciate the longer iron distance/height.

I'm not really a high swing speed player anymore, although it's nice you think I am.

Titleist ProV1x

It is interesting that we rarely see top ranked players use hot irons in the 6-pw. I have be told by players, caddies and tour reps that it would lead to a "hole" on the bottom of the bag. I am sure there is a consistency story there as well.

Some others may know better, but I am betting tour pros can deloft and take some spin off if they need to squeeze out a few more yards.

Titleist ProV1x

For iron heads, I just play something as similar to what the pros do as possible for my ability, they seeen to know what they are doing. If you already hit it a decent distance then you don’t really need a distance iron, not worth the cons they have.if you need more distance then either improve your mechanics and strength or buy distance clubs

My speed is much slower than most on wrx and I finally caved grabbing a distance iron, PXG gen 1 0311/0311T combo set....lofts are stronger but trajectory is actually higher due to design .....wider sole was a concern but so far off tight Florida turf, it hasn't been an issue.....played previously PSI FORGED TOUR irons....which offer NO help on misses of any kind....

The 0311t heads are a moderate sole width IMO. Not to wide to be a problem. They are close to AP2. I think the 0311 P heads are the ones I cant marry. I can have an affair but no marriage. Score card mo likey.

What is your speed? how long do you hit a 7 iron or what is your driver SS?

Senior low.....driver ss just above 90mph and 7i with 0311 Carries about 155 now....up from 145 with psi forged tour.....very accurate off the tee; learning to shape m3 after adjusting weights.....

I look at the soles as being G400 wide....I mean they look YUGE to my eye....strangely enough the sole has helped my long iron ,as it should by design, and given that confidence again to hit greens from all yardages....the feel is plush and yardages have been extremely consistent with very little falloff on the toe miss....

I suppose it is all about need for one’s particular game. I am almost 58 and just don’t have the club speed that I once enjoyed. The players distance iron lets me pull the same club I did when I was younger. Personally, I just don’t experience the problems complained of by so many regarding inconsistent distances. I have played PXGs, P790s, i500s and Cobra FTBs. They all drop and stop for me and I know what I will get when I put a good swing on them. I have found that the concerns that come from looking at launch monitor numbers simply do not translate to the course.

Yesterday, I hit one of my irons from my set on 14 approaches. I hit 10 greens and had 4 good birdie opportunities, one of which was 3 inches from the hole. Two of the shots were with a 5 iron and they were hole high and the ball was within inches of the pitch mark.

There are many better ball strikers than I, but I am decent at a 4.2 handicap. I love playing close to the same game as I did 15 years ago and it is largely due to the players distance irons.

I suppose it is all about need for one’s particular game. I am almost 58 and just don’t have the club speed that I once enjoyed. The players distance iron lets me pull the same club I did when I was younger. Personally, I just don’t experience the problems complained of by so many regarding inconsistent distances. I have played PXGs, P790s, i500s and Cobra FTBs. They all drop and stop for me and I know what I will get when I put a good swing on them. I have found that the concerns that come from looking at launch monitor numbers simply do not translate to the course.

Yesterday, I hit one of my irons from my set on 14 approaches. I hit 10 greens and had 4 good birdie opportunities, one of which was 3 inches from the hole. Two of the shots were with a 5 iron and they were hole high and the ball was within inches of the pitch mark.

There are many better ball strikers than I, but I am decent at a 4.2 handicap. I love playing close to the same game as I did 15 years ago and it is largely due to the players distance irons.

Did you add an extra wedge?

No, because I don’t get crazy distances on my pw. I get a few more yards on the shorter irons and by the time I get to my 6 and 5 irons, that progresssive additional distance through the set has given me about a club extra distance. The 6 and 5 irons are where I see the real advantage

This is my experience also.

I don't think you can generalize because players needs can be very different.

As I said I am in the same boat but older than 58 but still playing at a decent club level.

I have been to .8 but now am 4.2 and will not hold on to that without distance help.

I have always used blades or players cb's in general but as I go down through the irons to 4 iron I find it increasingly hard to generate the distance required.

I play a 21 degree hybrid but the gap between that and 4 iron is way to big now because of my lack of height and carry with a 4 iron. We are talking 35 yds minimum.

Just does not work.

With the juiced irons and spread out lofts (pw 44 to 5 23) I can gap better. High launching hot 5 iron can gap better to the hybrid and I have room in the 14 to put in another wedge at 48-50.

If I was not older I would not need to find this solution.

As I said you cannot generalize. There are many different scenarios for all skill levels and ages.

Easyyy, already gave you my view about a year ago.

Let me refresh your memory......

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1521528-taylormade-p790-irons/page__st__300__p__16110734#entry16110734

View PostBirdieBob, on 28 August 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

The important factors when selecting irons should be directed at the model that gives one .... accuracy, precision and consistency. Distance is one of the last factors considered.

Unfortunately, that is not what most look at. Distance is highly overrated in irons....but again it sells like it does in drivers...wrong thinking.

The p790 is a fairly large size head and that may help promote the accuracy/consistency that are the most imporant factors.

Does the variable face thickness or inverted cone or sole slot or interior speedfoam help in that regard ... how much....those are the questions I would be asking.

You replied.....

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just dont agree with you right now. That's ok. :) Distance in the long irons is a green light for me. You can have accuracy, precision, consistency and distance as well IMO.

My opinion about distance with irons changes like the tide. That being said I do like distance in the 3-6 irons right now. After the 5 iron I could give a rats a** about distance. However I am 50 years old and hit a 180 6 iron. In a few years I might want a 6 and or 7 iron to give me high and long as well. Overrated??? NMHJO... High and long is good for me in the long irons.

As for balls that "bound over greens into the hazards" because of lack of spin, I dont know about that. I play a lot of golf and use hybrids for 3 and 4 irons lately and cant muster one of those. Might want to lace a fade in there Bob. ;)

As for the TM 790 heads.... these "player" looks with the speed package might not be for some but they represent the holy grail for many. I have been asking for a blended set like this for years. Apex got it and here is another.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I’m in the same camp, I just put my 712 CB’s back in the bag after using 710 AP2’s most of the summer. I was about a half a club shorter with the AP2’s(both sets have Identical specs) and the wider soles made it hard to pick the ball cleanly off the hard, dry later summer fairways around here. I think I’m done with Game Improvement clubs for now, I’ve even gone back to my 910 woods, and I’ve never hit more fairways. #SpinIsIn

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Easyyy, already gave you my view about a year ago.

Let me refresh your memory......

http://www.golfwrx.c...4#entry16110734

View PostBirdieBob, on 28 August 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

The important factors when selecting irons should be directed at the model that gives one .... accuracy, precision and consistency. Distance is one of the last factors considered.

Unfortunately, that is not what most look at. Distance is highly overrated in irons....but again it sells like it does in drivers...wrong thinking.

The p790 is a fairly large size head and that may help promote the accuracy/consistency that are the most imporant factors.

Does the variable face thickness or inverted cone or sole slot or interior speedfoam help in that regard ... how much....those are the questions I would be asking.

You replied.....

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just dont agree with you right now. That's ok. :) Distance in the long irons is a green light for me. You can have accuracy, precision, consistency and distance as well IMO.

My opinion about distance with irons changes like the tide. That being said I do like distance in the 3-6 irons right now. After the 5 iron I could give a rats a** about distance. However I am 50 years old and hit a 180 6 iron. In a few years I might want a 6 and or 7 iron to give me high and long as well. Overrated??? NMHJO... High and long is good for me in the long irons.

As for balls that "bound over greens into the hazards" because of lack of spin, I dont know about that. I play a lot of golf and use hybrids for 3 and 4 irons lately and cant muster one of those. Might want to lace a fade in there Bob. ;)

As for the TM 790 heads.... these "player" looks with the speed package might not be for some but they represent the holy grail for many. I have been asking for a blended set like this for years. Apex got it and here is another.

That is still my feelings. Long irons are speed play and 5 or 6-pw are not now for me.

I started this thread claiming I have been back and forth over between gaming juiced and player cb. Just recently pulled the plug and went back to the player cb again and it has been a refreshing return to distance control.

I still have speed for long irons. 3 and 4 irons are hybrid and UT driving iron.

As I lose more speed as I get even older I will move to speed heads more and more. I already started by adding a hybrid vs the 3 iron and recently a DI UT as a 4 iron. Next will be the 5 iron.

Went through this the last couple years as well. Played a half set of TMB's with the MB's in the scoring irons. Enjoyed the TMB mid and long irons but they're a bit of a one trick pony. High, soaring shots with little curvature were the pros with the "hot" irons. But on the other hand, control was lacking and and so was feel. In the end, why would I sacrifice control and feel for being about a 1/2 club longer? The forgiveness factor didn't really make a difference for my game, and the distance alone wasn't worth the tradeoff.

I'm back to full set 3-PW of forged blades. Even in the long irons where the "hot" irons should be the most beneficial, the control is still worth the tradeoff. I do have a P790 UDI 2-iron in the bag, though. That's where I'm drawing the line on distance and forgiveness versus feel and control.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Common thread in reading here is low speed players are a fan of the hot irons.

That’s alll good. But why so much misinfo out there regarding their benefit for all players ?

I posted this on another thread a couple weeks ago. I tried out a senior playing partners 790 7 iron on the range. He actually asked me to hit it.citing how much distance he’d picked up over his mizuno set. I forget now the exact carry. But it was something like 212 twice ( just over the 210 marker) and then 3rd ball 221 off a tee. My stock 7 iron is 170. Rediculous Jump in Distance. How would that benefit me ? How many wedges would I need ? 8? I’m not even close to the longest guy here. Nor in my normal playing circles. I personally am glad some get the benefit of this tech. I just don’t see a use for it at all.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Richard,

Personally feel that choice really depends on type of player- whether player likes to take fullish swing on most irons and hit irons on higher trajectory or alternatively, whether player likes to vary delivery of clubface and trajectory on most shots. Personally, like to vary delivery and trajectory- therefore, an iron with thinner sole width and "slower" face tends to suit my preferences. I tend to increase tempo and try to stretch distances with the hotter faced irons simply because the design allows it, leading to inconsistent distances. With a one-piece forging, my tempo tends to remain in check, leading to better consistency and distance control is much more intuitive.

JMHGO ?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Have any of you experimented with juiced irons only to go back to a one piece forged head?

I hit a 7 iron about 165 yards with a forged player cb and say 170 to 175 with a juiced i500, PXG, Apex type head.

I have gone back and forth between a player cb (AP2, Titleist cb, Cally X-Forged, Mizuno sc) and a super speed type head (TM 790, Cally Apex, PXG P, Ping i500). Here you can see how sick I have been switching back and forth... WITB Link

Pros for the speed head... Long, high and did I say long?

Pros for the player cb head... Consistent distance control and a better contact due to the thinner soles. Feel is better as well.

Cons for the speed head... distance control isn't as good and the wider soles don't agree with me.

Cons for the player cb head... My ego, I will be hitting one club shorter than my crew. :blush2:

I don't need distance with my 5-pw so I am looking for pure accuracy to get close to the pin for a birdie opportunity. I have been back and forth between these two head designs and the thinner soles give my smash at the ball less turf drag/noise. Just a cleaner strike.

I take a divot but not a digger. Moderate attack angle. Still the wider soles just arnt the same as a player cb.

Distance control of a one piece forging is so much better with a player cb as well.

That is my experience and wondering if some of you have had the same. Have to say I am a little bummed. I like the crazy distance of these low spin thin faced irons. They are fun as hell to play but damn they are not good for the score card for me.

That is the rant for the day.

Yeah what Ive found with the distance is they spin and launch low for me. I get more distance but ball hits and releases on green. With the distance irons they definitely need to be matched with high launch shafts.

Eassyyy: you have described my plight. I started the game as a terrible iron player. The rest of my game matured quickly, but I struggled with irons for years. I kept buying bigger and more forgiving irons in hopes of finding something usable, but nothing helped. The cure for my iron game, as it were, was my buddy's set of shiny, new Titleist 680 MBs. In hindsight, it was completely a fitting issue for me. The wide soles of the GI irons, combined with a "too flat" lie angle wouldn't allow me to make solid contact. The combination of the thinner soles and slightly upright lie angles on the MBs allowed me to make good enough contact to gain a bit of confidence. Regardless, I was sold on "blades" and played them exclusively for years. I got down to or near scratch at a couple of points and iron play was, and is, the strength of my game.

About 5 years ago, I moved from Florida to Virginia and found myself playing much longer and much tougher courses. Instead of wedges and short irons into greens, I was hitting mid and long irons. My scores plummeted, so, of course, I needed new sticks. I've "yo-yo'd" back and forth between pure players irons and all manner of GI, "tweener," and distance irons ever since.

Recently, I made some pretty dramatic swing changes. I'm swinging the club better than ever throughout the bag, and have picked up quite a bit of distance. I've been in a good place to see the difference between the one piece irons and the distance-geared models. I'm currently gaming MP18 MBs and i200s, and the difference between them, IMO, is night and day.

There is no doubt that the Pings are longer and more forgiving across the face. The extra distance has brought some par fives into reach with an iron, which suits my game well. It's a bit intoxicating to reach for a long iron from 220+.

What I have found, however, is that the Pings are just not as pleasing to hit as the mizunos, and, despite the added forgiveness across the face, have not resulted in any added consistency or lower scores.

I chalk it up almost completely to the wider soles. I'm a divot taker, and love the feel of the ball compressing between the club and turf. This sensation is muted with the wider soles unless I really hammer down on the ball. As a result, I rarely get that satisfying "feel" with the Pings. I liken it to trying to perform surgery with a spoon instead of a scalpel.

The other thing I have noticed is that, with the distance irons, I tend to want to stretch them out. Instead of backing off a longer club when I am in between distances, I will hammer down the shorter iron. The result, for me, is less precision and more chips and longer putts. It's completely a reflection of my mental processes, and is no indictment on the club, but is still part of my grand equation.

There are pros and cons of each. The biggest "pro" for distance irons, obviously, is distance. I don't need to hit a 9 iron 165 to feel good about my game, but it is really nice to pull 4 iron (which I hit well) instead of hybrid (which I don't) on long par 3s and 5s.

On the flip side, the one piece clubs, IMO, are just more pleasing to hit, and I don't get caught up in the distance game. I hit "shots" rather than clubs.

It's all up to individual preference, of course, but for me the best option seems to be a mix of one piece "precision" short and mid irons with a couple of lower lofted distance or driving irons (say a 4 and 2) between my five iron and three wood. I just need to tinker with the options.

• Like 1

It's easy for me because I'm not a good player. So I want to just have predictable distance with my good shots and help with my misses. I hit my 4-hybrid 200 yards and everything gaps down evenly to my SW.

I think a LOT of this is predicated but what guys see on TV. They see the pros hit 200 yard 6 or 7 irons and want to do the same thing. The manufacturers are smart, they know it's a quick way to make an easy buck. Give the people what they want.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

It's easy for me because I'm not a good player. So I want to just have predictable distance with my good shots and help with my misses. I hit my 4-hybrid 200 yards and everything gaps down evenly to my SW.

I think a LOT of this is predicated but what guys see on TV. They see the pros hit 200 yard 6 or 7 irons and want to do the same thing. The manufacturers are smart, they know it's a quick way to make an easy buck. Give the people what they want.

True. The rooster illlusion does sell.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Have any of you experimented with juiced irons only to go back to a one piece forged head?

I hit a 7 iron about 165 yards with a forged player cb and say 170 to 175 with a juiced i500, PXG, Apex type head.

I have gone back and forth between a player cb (AP2, Titleist cb, Cally X-Forged, Mizuno sc) and a super speed type head (TM 790, Cally Apex, PXG P, Ping i500). Here you can see how sick I have been switching back and forth... WITB Link

Pros for the speed head... Long, high and did I say long?

Pros for the player cb head... Consistent distance control and a better contact due to the thinner soles. Feel is better as well.

Cons for the speed head... distance control isn't as good and the wider soles don't agree with me.

Cons for the player cb head... My ego, I will be hitting one club shorter than my crew. :blush2:

I don't need distance with my 5-pw so I am looking for pure accuracy to get close to the pin for a birdie opportunity. I have been back and forth between these two head designs and the thinner soles give my smash at the ball less turf drag/noise. Just a cleaner strike.

I take a divot but not a digger. Moderate attack angle. Still the wider soles just arnt the same as a player cb.

Distance control of a one piece forging is so much better with a player cb as well.

That is my experience and wondering if some of you have had the same. Have to say I am a little bummed. I like the crazy distance of these low spin thin faced irons. They are fun as hell to play but damn they are not good for the score card for me.

That is the rant for the day.

Yeah what Ive found with the distance is they spin and launch low for me. I get more distance but ball hits and releases on green. With the distance irons they definitely need to be matched with high launch shafts.

That was my concern but PXG has been a godsend for me....jpx900F was low/low and I haven't hit some of the other models....

Eassyyy: you have described my plight. I started the game as a terrible iron player. The rest of my game matured quickly, but I struggled with irons for years. I kept buying bigger and more forgiving irons in hopes of finding something usable, but nothing helped. The cure for my iron game, as it were, was my buddy's set of shiny, new Titleist 680 MBs. In hindsight, it was completely a fitting issue for me. The wide soles of the GI irons, combined with a "too flat" lie angle wouldn't allow me to make solid contact. The combination of the thinner soles and slightly upright lie angles on the MBs allowed me to make good enough contact to gain a bit of confidence. Regardless, I was sold on "blades" and played them exclusively for years. I got down to or near scratch at a couple of points and iron okay was, and is, the strength of my game.

About 5 years ago, I moved from Florida to Virginia and found myself playing much longer and much tougher courses. Instead of wedges and short irons into greens, I was hitting mid and long irons. My scores plummeted, so, of course, I needed new sticks. I've "yo-yo'd" back and forth between pure players irons and all manner of GI, "tweener," and distance irons ever since.

Recently, I made some pretty dramatic swing changes. I'm swinging the club better than ever throughout the bag, and have picked up quite a bit of distance. I've been in a good place to see the difference between the one piece irons and the distance-geared models. I'm currently gaming MP18 MBs and i200s, and the difference between them, IMO, is night and day.

There is no doubt that the Pings are longer and more forgiving across the face. The extra distance has brought some par fives into reach with an iron, which suits my game well. It's a bit intoxicating to reach for a long iron from 220+.

What I have found, however, is that the Pings are just not as pleasing to hit as the mizunos, and, despite the added forgiveness across the face, have not resulted in any added consistency or lower scores.

I chalk it up almost completely to the wider soles. I'm a divot taker, and love the feel of the ball compressing between the club and turf. This sensation is muted with the wider soles unless I really hammer down on the ball. As a result, I rarely get that satisfying "feel" with the Pings. I like it to trying to perform surgery with a spoon instead of a scalpel.

The other thing I have noticed is that, with the distance irons, I tend to want to stretch them out. Instead of backing off a longer club when I am in between distances, I will hammer down the shorter iron. The result, for me, is less precision and more chips and longer putts. It's completely a reflection of my mental processes, and is no indictment on the club, but is still part of my grand equation.

There are pros and cons of each. The biggest "pro" for distance irons, obviously, is distance. I don't need to hit a 9 iron 165 to feel good about my game, but it is really nice to pull 4 iron (which I hit well) instead of hybrid (which I dont) on long par 3s and 5s.

On the flip side, the one piece clubs, IMO, are just more pleasing to hit, and I don't get caught up in the distance game. I hit "shots" rather than clubs.

It's all up to individual preference, of course, but for me the best option seems to be a mix of one piece "precision" short and mid irons with a couple of lower lofted distance or driving irons (say a 4 and 2) between my five iron and three woods. I just need to tinker with the options.

Great write-up and these were my concerns moving away from psi forged tour to PXG .....maybe having the combo set is different but I'm finding both performance AND the enjoyment again in iron play without having to work as hard.....got lucky I guess ;-)

Yo, MG! You are channeling Bobby Clampett...

"Most of my students hit a pitching wedge 20 yards farther than I do, but I drive the ball 30-40 yards farther than they do."

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The only thing I really miss moving from my 716 CB/MB set to the PXG combo set are the thin soles. The thin soles really suit my swing. The wider, squarer soles on the PXGs aren't as satisfying. Performance isn't affected much though, mainly feel.

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

That's alll good. But why so much misinfo out there regarding their benefit for all players ?

I posted this on another thread a couple weeks ago. I tried out a senior playing partners 790 7 iron on the range. He actually asked me to hit it.citing how much distance he'd picked up over his mizuno set. I forget now the exact carry. But it was something like 212 twice ( just over the 210 marker) and then 3rd ball 221 off a tee. My stock 7 iron is 170. Rediculous Jump in Distance. How would that benefit me ? How many wedges would I need ? 8? I'm not even close to the longest guy here. Nor in my normal playing circles. I personally am glad some get the benefit of this tech. I just don't see a use for it at all.

You need to get on tour, as i don't think Dustin Johnson hits the P790 7 iron to that much carry, saw a couple of pro's with 92-95mph 7 iron speed carry them 185-190 though, so you must be smashing that 7 iron more than 100mph!

That's alll good. But why so much misinfo out there regarding their benefit for all players ?

I posted this on another thread a couple weeks ago. I tried out a senior playing partners 790 7 iron on the range. He actually asked me to hit it.citing how much distance he'd picked up over his mizuno set. I forget now the exact carry. But it was something like 212 twice ( just over the 210 marker) and then 3rd ball 221 off a tee. My stock 7 iron is 170. Rediculous Jump in Distance. How would that benefit me ? How many wedges would I need ? 8? I'm not even close to the longest guy here. Nor in my normal playing circles. I personally am glad some get the benefit of this tech. I just don't see a use for it at all.

I hit some jacked loft clubs a couple weeks back, and it felt great. But honestly I felt I was lying to myself. I went back and analyzed my game and how I set up my shots, and a recurring theme was that I hit ALOT of shots on the courses I play inside of 115 yards. And I rarely play on a course where I'm 220 from the hole. So I put the credit card away and decided against buying new clubs to accomodate shots that I only see twice a year vs. shots that I see 6 or 7 times a round.

For me, I'd rather go D, 3w, Hybrid 4, 4i-PW, GW, SW, LW

Alot of the courses I play are 90 yd. approach shots (and under).